• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free games on Xbox Live if you go Oman

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
LOL dat strawman argument.

Downloading games in this manner is nothing like stealing. Firstly, no one has literally lost anything. You can talk about lost sales but that refers to something that may have existed, not something that does exist. Using this glitch doesn't cause you to take any money from Microsoft or a copy of the game that can no longer be used by another.
Copyright infringement is not stealing, true. But that's why it's an analogy about what is ethical, and not a direct accusation.

Claiming that exploiting a glitch to obtain content that wasn't meant to be offered for free isn't unethical is an obvious rationalization. It's also very likely to be against the ToS so I have zero sympathy for anyone who gets banned for that.

Furthermore, are you telling me that you've never taken advantage of a misprice in a store or on a web site?
I might have done that before, though I can't recall any specific instance. But if I did, I'd certainly admit it's crooked and unethical, even if it's not illegal. I don't care if people do take advantage of the exploit, but claiming it's totally legit and nothing crooked or unethical going on is just wilfully blind denial here.

Is it okay to download a free game from the PSN if it was only listed as free as a mistake?
This is more defensible, it could be argued that you didn't know it was a mistake and thought it was just a temporary promotion (since there's precedent of legit promotions, such as Wild ARMs). If you do know it's a mistake and still take advantage of it, well, I wouldn't say it's "okay", but I don't think they could ban you since you have plausible deniability. But signing up an account in a different country to grab a bunch of games? Clearly, whoever does that isn't innocent and knows full well they're exploiting a weakness, so it's a different situation.

Caayn

Is it okay to download a free game from the PSN if it was only listed as free as a mistake?
Dunno about how Sony handles those things. Never had such a sitaution with Sony.

MS simply takes back the content, like they did with the Crimson Pack for Halo 4. Which was released for free due to an error, MS/343i later gave it a spin by saying it was a promotion. In the end everyone who got it free, got their acces to the map pack revoked till they purchased it.

zaphod79

So outside of the other thread a general question about this glitch / exploit and the potential for action by Microsoft on it - some of this was discussed and talked about before but it all ended up being lost in the maelstrom.

From my understanding here there is no way the system can tell automatically if :

Someone falsely entered details on the website to create an account in a country that they were not a resident of and downloaded the games to their system

Someone who was on holiday in another region , created the account legitimately (*) , signed in and saw the game was free and hit download.

(*) There were a number of comments about how this was against the TOS , or that people had to supply an address which for this is *not* correct - when you create a new account it simply asks you for your country of residence (not where you currently are) and if for example I was a resident of Oman and happened to be visiting you then I could legitimately enter that into the system and it would 'allow' me to download these games for free.

Thomasnoki

Neo Member
may be it is real people will got ban.
Me and my friend just got banned few hours ago. And I just asking xbox helpdsk for help.

Thomasnoki

Neo Member
Just wahad and mr blackmagik's "friend"

I got a email from Microsoft. It said I am "marketplace theft". the only thing I can think of is free "injustice" I download last week.

kf2dOfk.jpg

Thomasnoki

Neo Member
Holy shit, I'm now really scared that I downloaded Rayman Legends. Did you transfer your account away from Oman or not?

no...I just create some dummy Oman/ Costa/ eastern europe accounts to download. but in the end I only download and play "Injustice". My main account are always stay in my own country for last 7 years. but Microsoft just ban all accounts link to my console.

no...I just create some dummy Oman/ Costa/ eastern europe accounts to download. but in the end I only download and play "Injustice". My main account are always stay in my own country for last 7 years. but Microsoft just ban all accounts link to my console.

What I meant to ask was did you perform a region transfer to download the games on a main marketplace or did you keep it in Oman?

nib95

Banned
This is so shitty. Seriously fuck Microsoft for this, if these are really the reasons for bannings. Had no idea XBL was this anal about these sorts of things. They're pretty par for course with Steam, PSN etc. Trust it to be Microsoft who's exceptionally strict about it all.

EDIT: Revoking the content as mentioned above seems like a far more sensible solution than banning the console, account or all accounts linked. Hopefully other people chime in and shed light on this. Would be awful if people really were getting banned for such a minor little trick.

ev0

Heh, if the Worst Company in America (EA) didn't even ban people for "stealing" their games, what does that make MS?

Thomasnoki

Neo Member
What I meant to ask was did you perform a region transfer to download the games on a main marketplace or did you keep it in Oman?

I don't do the region transfer. I just create a new Oman account to download free game. And remove the dummy Oman account from my xbox after I finish the download.

but now, both accounts was banned.

D3VI0US

arrested-development-gob-huge-tiny-mistake-cabin-show-season-3.gif

I am so lucky that I wasn't that interested in Injustice after playing the demo to do this. Really shitty for MS to ban people, not a good message to send going into next gen. I'm still waiting for a few more people to get banned to assume this is the reason though.

I don't do the region transfer. I just create a new Oman account to download free game. And remove the dummy Oman account from my xbox after I finish the download.

This means that it's very possible that only people who didn't transfer their account to their own region were banned.

Thomasnoki

Neo Member
This means that it's very possible that only people who didn't transfer their account to their own region were banned.

I don't know. I call MS this morning. They just ask me to create an dummy US account (I live in HK) and leave a message at xbox Forums. They told me someone will follow my case within 24 hours.

I have a hard copy of "injustice" and some achievement record since April. And I have a Rayman email receipt last week ( I miss the free Raymond so I just bought it on Game on demond. It only cost USD$23 in HK). Hopefully it can give me more chance to retrieve my account.

This is so shitty. Seriously fuck Microsoft for this, if these are really the reasons for bannings. Had no idea XBL was this anal about these sorts of things. They're pretty par for course with Steam, PSN etc. Trust it to be Microsoft who's exceptionally strict about it all.

EDIT: Revoking the content as mentioned above seems like a far more sensible solution than banning the console, account or all accounts linked. Hopefully other people chime in and shed light on this. Would be awful if people really were getting banned for such a minor little trick.

Hehehe. Calm down. There's always more to these stories. Always,

Did you post in this thread that you were DLing those games? I notice you have your gamertag in your GAF profile.

Thomasnoki

Neo Member
Seems unlikely you were banned for downloading free games. It's probably related to something else you're not willing to share with us.

I don't know what are you trying to say. The most wild thing I did is trying to use other countries account to download free game. And then I got banned. I just check on other forums see any similar case as me.

C4Lukins

If this circumstance is actually the cause of being banned, it is completely justified.

Unless you live in Oman of course.

People make the argument, if MS screwed up, why am I being punished? Well yeah if you live in Oman, yeah you shouldn't be. It was there, available on that marketplace for free.

If you falsified your region and lied about who you are in order to get free games, there is no sympathy for that. You essentially stole not only from MS but the developers and publishers of these games, while violating the TOS. The only people you can legitimately bitch at are the people in this thread who said it would be fine, MS will not do anything about it.

But you had to know it was wrong. Even if it was an MS mistake you had to falsify information to take advantage of it.

I don't know what are you trying to say. The most wild thing I did is trying to use other countries account to download free game. And then I got banned. I just check on other forums see any similar case as me.

I'd like to believe it's just for that, but there's never been a case (to my knowledge) of someone being banned for downloading free content from the marketplace. Even if it was incorrectly priced.

Looking at the email, they mention points fraud and illegal acquisition of redemption codes...are you sure it was just for downloading Inustice?

The mail states that they only banned you because other Live users pointed them to your account. So it's not some sort of autoban.

Edit - It also says during some process of theirs too, so who knows...

Thomasnoki

Neo Member
I'd like to believe it's just for that, but there's never been a case (to my knowledge) of someone being banned for downloading free content from the marketplace. Even if it was incorrectly priced.

Looking at the email, they mention points fraud and illegal acquisition of redemption codes...are you sure it was just for downloading Inustice?

may be MS right. they charge me HKD$171 instead of HKD$179. it is USD$1 cheaper then showing price. It is the reason I got banned. (USD$1 = HKD$7.79)

here is my transaction record in last few month.
Kw8Gixp.jpg

Troll

Banned
That email really doesn't look like it was for the Oman marketplace content. Just based off the way that it's worded.

e: looks like we have a winner!

Sorry you're banned. I'm still not entirely sure why.

I wish Major Nelson would post on this thread and just tell us if we're going to get the ban hammer for this or not.

These threads are getting tedious and people will just start blaming the Oman trick instead of telling the truth.

I know it's very unlikely we will get banned for this, but if we do I can see a lot of people switching sides. And that's the last thing Microsoft needs right now.

Troll

Banned
I wish Major Nelson would post on this thread and just tell us if we're going to get the ban hammer for this or not.

These threads are getting tedious and people will just start blaming the Oman trick instead of telling the truth.

I know it's very unlikely we will get banned for this, but if we do I can see a lot of people switching sides. And that's the last thing Microsoft needs right now.

Here's how you should look at it: if you've done it you're fine. Seriously. Just enjoy your games already.

tsumineko

If this circumstance is actually the cause of being banned, it is completely justified.

Unless you live in Oman of course.

People make the argument, if MS screwed up, why am I being punished? Well yeah if you live in Oman, yeah you shouldn't be. It was there, available on that marketplace for free.

If you falsified your region and lied about who you are in order to get free games, there is no sympathy for that. You essentially stole not only from MS but the developers and publishers of these games, while violating the TOS. The only people you can legitimately bitch at are the people in this thread who said it would be fine, MS will not do anything about it.

But you had to know it was wrong. Even if it was an MS mistake you had to falsify information to take advantage of it.

Exactly. Not sure why it's so hard for people to understand this.

Thomasnoki

Neo Member
Why did this even happen?

Since MS don't follow my case yet. I don't know the real reason why I got banned. Using other countries account may not be the reason anyway. Even the Helpdesk people ask me to create an US account to access xbox forum to contact enforcement team.

After I check the bill I post. May be It was an MS mistake I had to falsify information to take advantage of it...for USD$1...

zaphod79

Okay , and can you explain the process for the system to know that someone from Oman was not at your house and created the account ?

Again , how can the system know that this was falsified - all it knows is that someone from your IP (which can easily show which country you are in) signed up for an account and gave their country of residence as Oman (if you are a resident of Oman thats correct and not against the TOC / TOS)

I agree that if you chose to download these games then you are taking your chances but I cant see a way for Microsoft to tell the difference here in any reliable way.

I'm pretty sure these are stock emails and they would say the same regardless of what prompted the action

Thomasnoki

Neo Member
update: after I keep asking the Enforcement team. Their final answer:

It is against the Code of Conduct to create and account with a different region or change your region to a region you are not located in. The suspension will stand as issued.

Got the official answer from Xbox Enforcement team :

This account was permanently suspended for the theft or attempted theft of marketplace assets, specifically by attempting to utilize or share fraudulent methods in order to obtain content or redemption codes.

The specific conduct that caused this suspension may include, but is not limited to:

- Promotion or distribution of fraudulent methods in order to obtain marketplace content

- Utilizing fraudulent methods in order to obtain region-specific marketplace content or circumvent regional pricing

- Illegitimate acquisition of marketplace content

- Illegitimate acquisition of redemption codes

I told them I can prove some proof document like receipt of injustice at April and MS billing record of Rayman Legend to begging them to unban my account. But the chance is slightly I guess.

Do you have a link to the thread in question?

That's a pretty big shift in policy. If it's legit, I foresee a tidal wave of shit over the next few days. Pretty shocking to be honest, didn't think MS would be so stupid and they haven't exactly policed the region thing in the past.

Montresor

I've seen people suggest revoking individual pieces of content, but I don't think that's possible.

A couple of months ago, on the day Bioshock Infinite's Clash In The Clouds DLC was announced, I called Xbox Support and I complained about the disgusting value proposition of the season pass. I bought the season pass on DAY ONE and it took months for them to even announce any details on the content. And when they finally announced something (end of July?) it turns out they're releasing nothing but a boring horde mode. And the real meaty content, the incredible-looking two-part detective story set in Rapture, is probably not coming out until December.

Soooo.... I demanded a refund, and they gave it to me. However, there were certain caveats. They told me in very specific terms that they have absolutely no capability to revoke the license for a single piece of software or DLC. I currently own the season pass, and I'm going to own it forever. They cannot reverse that ownership. They went ahead and gave me a 1600-MSP refund. But they said that I can't be caught using the season pass to download season pass content - otherwise my account would get permanently banned. That seems both fair and ridiculous. Fair because I can't be taking a 1600-point refund and then using the season pass anyway - that'd be straight up theft. Ridiculous because, come on, what if I forget about the season pass restriction in a couple of months, or some friend visits and starts downloading season pass content? No worries anyway, because I made sure to delete the season pass off my console.

Just throwing that out there. I really don't think revoking the license for any games is an option.

Ghazi

Welp, I had a good run. Injustice GOTY might come out soon and I already bought a ton of DLC for the copy I downloaded.

I deserve it, I guess.

I only downloaded it because my disc copy was "unreadable" the day I got it and the store wouldn't refund me because I had already opened it too, so it's like a double slap in the face :/

Montresor

Welp, I had a good run. Injustice GOTY might come out soon :/ and I already bought a ton of DLC for the copy I downloaded.

I deserve it, I guess.

If you're not like that infamous GAFer who lied to the community and ended up being a pirate... then NO, you don't deserve ANY punishment.

Why should anyone be punished for marketplace glitches like this?

SmokyDave

Do you have a link to the thread in question?

That's a pretty big shift in policy. If it's legit, I foresee a tidal wave of shit over the next few days. Pretty shocking to be honest, didn't think MS would be so stupid and they haven't exactly policed the region thing in the past.
They're fucking nuts doing this at the end of the generation. People will swear off buying MS consoles long before they admit that maybe they shouldn't have gamed the system.

Ghazi

If you're not like that infamous GAFer who lied to the community and ended up being a pirate... then NO, you don't deserve ANY punishment.

Why should anyone be punished for marketplace glitches like this?
I took advantage of something not meant to be. I didnt have to take advantage of it, but I did. I see the ethic wrongs with it, I downloaded it because I thought I deserved it after the disc thing. I'd really rather not lose my whole Xbox for it, but I get why.

Heh, if the Worst Company in America (EA) didn't even ban people for "stealing" their games, what does that make MS?

After the XBone announcement fiasco, the Windows Phone flop, and the much hated Windows 8, I think MS might just break EA's "winning" streak this year.

Top Bottom