• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free games on Xbox Live if you go Oman

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Glad my laziness won out if bans really are being handed out. It's strange though, they haven't banned people in the past, maybe the sheer amount of glitched content forced their hand this time?

Has anyone checked CAG, etc to see if anyone there has been banned yet?
The CAG thread links back to here. lol

RedAssedApe

Banned
Glad my laziness won out if bans really are being handed out. It's strange though, they haven't banned people in the past, maybe the sheer amount of glitched content forced their hand this time?

Has anyone checked CAG, etc to see if anyone there has been banned yet?

no one has been banned in the CAG thread. as other people have pointed out, the guy shared a season pass which I guess is against TOS?

The dude who says he's banned here said one of his mates has been banned too, unless he was doing pass sharing with him? But I thought he said he was sharing with his bro. Something really off about this..

Well, however this may end. I just cancelled the final download. Whatever they track on your xbox, I just deleted them all and removed the Oman account.

I havent played any of the games on my original account or any other account. So, we'll see. My account is too precious to be sent into limbo.

And if all turns out fine and those that have been banned so far that has in no way to do with the oman games and MS plugged the hole, then fuck me, right?

Well, however this may end. I just cancelled the final download. Whatever they track on your xbox, I just deleted them all and removed the Oman account.

I havent played any of the games on my original account or any other account. So, we'll see. My account is too precious to be sent into limbo.

And if all turns out fine and those that have been banned so far that has in no way to do with the oman games and MS plugged the hole, then fuck me, right?

They can already see whether you've downloaded them my man, whether you've played or deleted them or not :( There's going to be a pre-GTA5 shit storm brewing if loads of people get banned just before that hits, haha.

They can already see whether you've downloaded them my man, whether you've played or deleted them or not :( There's going to be a pre-GTA5 shit storm brewing if loads of people get banned just before that hits, haha.
As I said, whatever they track on the console, man. Maybe monday will shed some positive light on the matter. Anyway, I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

KDC720

Yeah, I deleted Ikaruga and the saints row stuff if got just to be safe. I didnt play any of the stuff either so I might be okay.

El Sabroso

All of the ToS violations noted in the picture can be issued just transfering licences to other console just to let other Gamertags access to account while in the original console the Gamertag who did the purchases still has the access, and is a common cause of why pepole gets banned these days.

Gamejunky

Yeah assuming no bans happen I don't think I'll risk this again if some other exploit comes up in the future. Couple of free games isn't worth the paranoia of a ban.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I have felt guilty all day. It's been bugging me quite a bit.
So is there any chance that unplugged my Ethernet from my 360, loading it up and deleting all the content I downloaded through this method can save me from possible issues?
Or if users are getting banned is the damage done?

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
if they do ban, i hope not!! they are going to ban a lot of people :/ no one's been banned for AC3 or injustice right.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Downloading content from other regions for free has been going on for years on XBL, and they'd be crazy for banning people for it now out of the blue.

This guy said that he shared his Season Pass with his brother somehow, and that matches the violation email. If no one else has gotten banned aside from him and his friend who might have done the same thing, we can chalk it up to that.

Troll

Banned
Downloading content from other regions for free has been going on for years on XBL, and they'd be crazy for banning people for it now out of the blue.

This guy said that he shared his Season Pass with his brother somehow, and that matches the violation email. If no one else has gotten banned aside from him and his friend who might have done the same thing, we can chalk it up to that.

This seems most likely. Come one guys.

Only one isolated incidend and nothing more, that is just weird coincidence. Also there's no date of that email in that copy/paste screen. If they are baning people who used this, internet would be full of "OMG MS BANNED MY ACC" threads...

This is just how people like to make confusion with someone that's actual. As someone said, XBL free game downloading is actual for years now.

There could be a change of tack against cross region DLing now MS has scrapped spacebucks.

Glad I didn't bother getting those games myself, it's not worth the worry.

ev0

How does Season Pass duping work? Is it the recovering on another console thats against TOS?

I got the free Borderlands 2 Pass from Argentina a few months back, but I've yet to ever play the game. But both my main and Arg account are on the same xbox. That's is okay according to TOS? Thanks!

Mugatu

Damn. Hopefully it's isolated. I gave in last night and got the games. Too bad since the only one I like is WRC (as far as I can tell from the demo). Tried Dark and erased it it wa that bad.

Oh we'll, if I get banned at least it makes the next gen question really easy for me.

Cheddahz

Banned
Damn. Hopefully it's isolated. I gave in last night and got the games. Too bad since the only one I like is WRC (as far as I can tell from the demo). Tried Dark and erased it it wa that bad.

Oh we'll, if I get banned at least it makes the next gen question really easy for me.

It seems like to me he got banned for sharing his Season Pass, not for taking advantage of a glitch

Mugatu

It seems like to me he got banned for sharing his Season Pass, not for taking advantage of a glitch

Could be but do we have proof? Seems a lot like wishful thinking. Every step in the process of getting these games for us was technically agains the TOS.

Not trying to be a jerk but I am a pessimist.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I think the biggest thing is everything that was downloaded said "FREE" on the screen when it was downloaded.

Plain Ben

It's some really messed up timing, with me and a friend both getting banned (and I didn't share season passes with that friend). Along with my Oman account being banned alongside it.

But since me and him seem to be literally the only people affected, It must be something from something unrelated to this Oman glitch. But I'll post the results when support gets around to giving me an answer. That's all I can do now really...

Mugatu

I think the biggest thing is everything that was downloaded said "FREE" on the screen when it was downloaded.
Good point, I never thought of that.

Still, as far as I know there is zero recourse if Xbox bans you. Hopefully I'm just being pessimistic, I would rather keep my account.

quickwhips

Good point, I never thought of that.

Still, as far as I know there is zero recourse if Xbox bans you. Hopefully I'm just being pessimistic, I would rather keep my account.

Its a good way to get me to buy a ps4 and they don't want that at this moment. I'm on fence still.

Mugatu

Its a good way to get me to buy a ps4 and they don't want that at this moment. I'm on fence still.
As stupid as this sounds, and I admit it sounds really stupid to me, one reason I did it was because I told myself that now that Major Nelson is here he would surely warn his fellow gaffers of danger by coming in here or at least MS would block the glitch.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I was tempted by this yesterday but decided it seemed a bit risky and wasn't worth potentially putting 170+ XBLA games at risk on my account. I don't think people will get bans for taking advantage of it though, or at least I hope not.

quickwhips

As stupid as this sounds, and I admit it sounds really stupid to me, one reason I did it was because I told myself that now that Major Nelson is here he would surely warn his fellow gaffers of danger by coming in here or at least MS would block the glitch.

He is a PR guy. He wouldn't do that, at least I don't think he will tell us anything.

Yeah, not cool, Major Nelson. Not cool! ;)

Well, if I get banned over this, it will make my next gen choice exceedingy easy. I wasn't planning on buying either of the consoles at launch but I'm definitely going to get one sometime next year, and I was torn between the fact that the PS4 seems to be more affordable and powerful, but the One has Ryse and Dead Rising 3. This would take the choice out of my hands, so I guess I should be...grateful? ^_^;

Cels

getting banned for this was always a risk. it is obviously not intended for people in the US or EU to make accounts in costa rica, morocco, and oman to get free games. doing it is a clear exploit, and if i get banned i am not going to whine about it like an idiot. however, the "free stuff in other countries' marketplaces" stuff has been going on for years now without any bans as far as i know, so i took that risk knowing the chance of getting banned was small. if i get banned so be it, not like it was undeserved.

What sucks most is, none of the free games (except Ikaruga) were all that good, so it will be lousy to get banned over downloading such mediocre games, lol.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
What sucks most is, none of the free games (except Ikaruga) were all that good, so it will be lousy to get banned over downloading such mediocre games, lol.

No doubt. I have to be honest that I likely won't play these games to completion and considered many to be "demos". It would be horrible to be punished for downloading Dark.
And I didn't do it to be malicious. I more just wanted to see if it would work. I wasn't even thinking that I might be breaking a hard rule.

Defect

No doubt. I have to be honest that I likely won't play these games to completion and considered many to be "demos". It would be horrible to be punished for downloading Dark.
And I didn't do it to be malicious. I more just wanted to see if it would work. I wasn't even thinking that I might be breaking a hard rule.
I just wanted to try out the games. Now I'm going to buy a retail copy of Injustice since I enjoy it a lot.

lol, yeah, downloading Dark is a punishment in itself!

EYEL1NER

I'm pretty much echoing others now but I don't see band going out over this. Sure it is against the TOS and people could very well get banned, but why start now? People have been doing this for years. It seems like this year alone there have been tons of free game in other regions and each time there will be a mention on CAG (though I believe talk about breaking the ToS like that is being cracked down on over there) and a thread on SlickDeals. The only time I can remember bans being given out was over a Fifa game a while back, something where people were glitching something that actually showed a price into being free and not over anything that was advertised as 'FREE.' Kinda fuzzy on the details on that though.

Ledsen

What are people doing about this? Deleting the content and hoping they're not banned? If you've earnt achievements in any of these glitched games, that's caught red handed isn't it.

Calm down everybody. I'll be doing absolutely nothing, and I seriously doubt anyone would ever get banned for this. It's never happened before, why would it happen now?

I know I will be playing and enjoying the games I got without worry. And if a glitch like this gets discovered again, I will use that one too.

Let's look at the facts:

- One guy says he was banned, and he had been doing a lot of sketchy stuff
- One other guy says his mate was banned for something. This is not evidence of anything, just hearsay without any details.

So basically... there's no evidence anyone has been banned for this whatsoever.

So no additional bans? Makes sense, as they haven't banned people in the past...also bums me out that I didn't take advantage of it when I had the chance.

Dark looks somewhat decent. Could serve as a spiritual successor to Vampire Rain in some respects.

Calm down everybody. I'm doing nothing because I seriously doubt anyone would ever get banned for this. It's never happened before, why would it happen now? The guy who was banned did a lot of sketchy stuff.

I don't know man, it might be a good idea to wrap the console in tinfoil so they can't track you down and arrest you for theft.

Dem NSA connections.

Mohonky

Off topic: been to Oman. Staggeringly beautiful place. You can look around and there is just rocks and desert, then you will find a cliff face that goes down into these ravines full of the most crystal clear rivers flowing down stream surrounded by tropical plants and trees like some sort of hidden oasis. The town of Sur is situated down in the bottom corner of the country and is supposedly the likes of where stories of Sinbad the sailor originate wi these hundreds of year old stone forts sit on top of rock peaks overlooking the city ports.

The people are very forward thinking and incredibly friendly, they love to show foreigners the beauty of their country, its people and the surroundings. Visited a hotel made of marble on the coast, from a distance there is nothing but rock and desert and then this incredibly lush green area, situated on a sandy white beach that just appears to be in the middle of nowhere.

It is a pity it is surrounded by such backward ass countries like Yemen and Saudi, as women can wear whatever they want, do whatever ever they want. They go clubbing dressed like any Westerner you might expect knowing they arent going to be whipped for doing so.

Loved the time I spent there.

Ps. Watch your washing on the line, the damn goats eat anything.

---------------------

Ok back to topic.

yatesl

Yeah, I think the ban was a huge coincidence too... But then, I feel like downloading a season pass on console A, but also playing it in console B isn't deserving of a ban, either. Now if he had said he'd found a way to get any game at -1 points, I'd feel much better.

So yeah - should be a false alarm, and it'd be pretty crazy to ban 100s (1,000+?) of accounts for this, so close to launch of the One. One way of sending customers who have had Live for 9 years to Playstation 4, is effectively wiping their history.

Plus, people haven't been banned before, and stuff like this has been happening since 2010.

Top Bottom