• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free games on Xbox Live if you go Oman

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Injustice still works with Oman.

1. Create an Oman email account on outlook.com.
2. Go to Xbox.com and sign in with the Oman email account. This'll create an Oman gamer tag.
3. Turn on Xbox and DL your Oman profile with the email account.
4. Set your locale to Austria from the settings in the dashboard.
5. Sign out of all accounts.
6. You should see a Fifa 14 ad and then batman or superman below it on the main page (still not signed in).
7. Click batman/superman to see the WB sale page. Injustice should show as 30% off.
8. Login to your Oman account.
9. Click the injustice icon and download for Free.
10. You'll need to stay logged in as Oman while the DL finishes.
11. This just worked for me 15 minutes ago in US.

This is key. When I got Injustice yesterday, I didnt know this. I just clicked on the first ad...which was this and it was the right one. And it was easier for me to make up an email address from gmail. I didnt know you could do that. I thought all email addresses had to be MS ones.

SilentFlyer

I did follow the instructions, hence why I thanked the people for providing them. They were easy to follow. It did not work for me, but I am not looking to argue with anyone. I certainly don't need a snarky response back.

what exactly are you doing? Because I, too, wasn't able to get injustice at first but got it doing the trick second time. Have you followed these instructions carefully, especially the one underlined?

2. Go to Xbox.com and sign in with the Oman email account. This'll create an Oman gamer tag.
6. You should see a Fifa 14 ad and then batman or superman below it on the main page (still not signed in).
7. Click batman/superman to see the WB sale page. Injustice should show as 30% off.

Plain Ben

Oh crap, it appears I've been banned for 'Marketplace Theft' for this, and I haven't stolen games other than using these marketplace glitches (and the one for AC3 a while back). The only other thing even remotely close to that would be from sharing Season Passes with my brothers xbox.

Ocaso

In a store like Amazon or Best Buy, sure. Take advantage of pricing errors. Not quite the same situation here, though. While Amazon would just cancel the faulty order, MS has issued bans for far less.

If you guys want to risk this, go ahead, but let's not pretend this is a simple pricing error in a store. The fact that there's region-switching, phantom logins, and free full game downloads? Yeah. That's playing with fire.

But Amazon often DOESN'T cancel the faulty order, and there's nothing stopping Microsoft from revoking the licenses if they wanted to. True, there's region switching trickery involved and MS may not like that, but it's not much different than buying something from Amazon UK if you live in the US. Phantom accounts are a choice. There's nothing stopping you from giving your actual name and email, or hell, some people taking advantage of this actually live in Oman.

I'm not saying this is ethically unassailable since you're still taking advantage of a human error, but it's not much different than traveling to a store outside of your town to do the same, and it's certainly not the same as piracy since MS keeps records of everything downloaded and they know which consoles got them.

bidguy

Banned
Oh crap, it appears I've been banned for 'Marketplace Theft' for this, and I haven't deliberately stolen games other than using these marketplace glitches (and the one for AC3 a while back).

want to back that claim up with a picture ?
spreading bullshit gets you banned quickly here

Plain Ben

want to back that claim up with a picture ?
spreading bullshit gets you banned quickly here
Yeah here's what happened when I sign into xbox.com, and an Email I got right away. I got kicked out of a game of WRC Rally and permabanned. (For some reason my hotmail account's time is always an hour behind)
k0SgYdJ.png

QTkqAI2.png

bidguy

Banned
Yeah here's what happened when I sign into xbox.com, and an Email I got right away. I got kicked out of a game of WRC Rally and permabanned. (For some reason my hotmail account's time is always an hour behind)

this is the first time im hearing that they ban people for this

did you ask the specific reason ? via email or chat

Plain Ben

this is the first time im hearing that they ban people for this

did you ask the specific reason ? via email or chat
I will do now through support, I never heard of anyone getting banned for this either. But I genuinely can't imagine what else it could be for.
Like I said, doing this for the free arcade games, along with doing it for Assassin's Creed 3, and having a friend buy a Season Pass on my Xbox so that I would get it and he could use it on his own is the only thing I could consider 'marketplace theft'.

Edit:
Makes no since...you download the game on another profile they would ban that account.
I can confirm at least I'm not console banned, I signed in an alternate silver account and it's worked fine. However my Oman account is also banned for the same reason.

quickwhips

Makes no since...you download the game on another profile they would ban that account.

malfcn

In a store like Amazon or Best Buy, sure. Take advantage of pricing errors. Not quite the same situation here, though. While Amazon would just cancel the faulty order, MS has issued bans for far less.

If you guys want to risk this, go ahead, but let's not pretend this is a simple pricing error in a store. The fact that there's region-switching, phantom logins, and free full game downloads? Yeah. That's playing with fire.

Bestbuy does crazy stuff. People were ordering GTA5 for free and are getting $20 coupons on top of that.

My man!! Shit worked. Got Assassins Creed 3 back when that was glitched.

You don't get banned. Don't believe the bullshit people are posting.

Edit: Damn just seen the post. First time Ive ever heard of that

Fularu

Banned

You have 77779 achievement points? ;-)

bidguy

Banned
You admitted you duplicated a season pass, the email says you got banned for that.

Is everyone really missing this??

i dont see it but whats more important is this

"Your conduct was brought to the attention of the LIVE Enforcement team through complaints filed by other Xbox LIVE users"

guess it really is for something else he did.

where do you see the season pass thing ?

You admitted you duplicated a season pass, the email says you got banned for that.

I think that's a legitimate thing to do, though. Every item you purchase on XBL has a HDD license and an account license. If you purchase a Season Pass on someone else's Xbox using your account, I guess both of you get it. That's not against TOS.

(Could be wrong!)

First line in the list of conduct he's been banned for

QTkqAI2.png

Oh crap, it appears I've been banned for 'Marketplace Theft' for this, and I haven't stolen games other than using these marketplace glitches (and the one for AC3 a while back). The only other thing even remotely close to that would be from sharing Season Passes with my brothers xbox.

Unfortunately sharing season passes is against the ToS

Plain Ben

I was sure it's a common thing people do. One person purchases the item on one console. Allowing anyone on that console to access the content, then they redownload it on their own console where only their profile can access it.
But also my Oman Gamertag is banned. Why would that be banned? That account had nothing to do with Season Passes.

I do understand people's disbelief, I'd probably have the same reaction since I've never heard of this ever happening. Hopefully, it's just a false alarm for you guys and all I've done is waste time.

"Your conduct was brought to the attention of the LIVE Enforcement team through complaints filed by other Xbox LIVE users"

"or in the course of our operation of the service"

But yeah, if he duped a season pass then that is likely the cause. The Oman account may have been caught during their investigation.

I was sure it's a common thing people do. One person purchases the item on one console. Allowing anyone on that console to access the content, then they redownload it on their own console where only their profile can access it.

Yes, it's something people do, but it is still theft.

What I would like to know is how long you have these games that are downloaded from the Oman account versus the season pass swapping?

A friend has been playing Injustice for 3 days now on his own account.

I'm almost done downloading the games and dlc, but will wait playing them. Otherwise I will delete them all.

Plain Ben

But yeah, if he duped a season pass then that is likely the cause. The Oman account may have been caught during their investigation.
Maybe, seems an odd time to do it, I did it with the Black Ops 2 season pass. Which I myself purchased and recovered at the other console. I was honestly unaware it was against the Terms of Service, but I thought that wouldn't be as bad as exploiting marketplace glitches. I was directed to post on the ban support forums for that and I have to wait up to 24 hours for that.

What I would like to know is how long you have these games that are downloaded from the Oman account versus the season pass swapping?
I'd been downloading them from last night, the only one I played was the WRC Powerslide game which I've been playing this afternoon.
I bought the Season Pass for Black Ops 2 around last year before the first DLC addon. I've probably accessed the maps from the latest DLC sometime this week. Odd that my brother has not been banned.

Edit: I was with 3 friends on WRC, 1 of them I was with has also just got banned for 'game multiplication' apparently.
Edit 2: They've gone to bed, won't get answers about that until tomorrow I guess.

Has anyone else been banned for this? Surely they can't go around banning people because they've been caught with their pants down due to some really amaturish regional security issues? Ridiculous.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe, seems an odd time to do it, I did it with the Black Ops 2 season pass. Which I myself purchased and recovered at the other console. I was honestly unaware it was against the Terms of Service, but I thought that wouldn't be as bad as exploiting marketplace glitches. I was directed to post on the ban support forums for that and I have to wait up to 24 hours for that.
CAG basically has a thread dedicated to teaching people how to do exactly that. They call it the 360 version of "gamesharing". I can't imagine MS would care, because they could just go into that CAG thread and ban everyone who posted in that thread.

baphomet

Has anyone else been banned for this? Surely they can't go around banning people because they've been caught with their pants down due to some really amaturish regional security issues? Ridiculous.

They ban for people playing purchased games before the release date. Did anyone really think they wouldn't ban you for exploiting a glitch to get marketplace content for free?

Edit: I was with 3 friends on WRC, 1 of them I was with has also just got banned for 'game multiplication' apparently.
Edit 2: They've gone to bed, won't get answers about that until tomorrow I guess.

If this is true, this is going to be huge. I'm surprised this thread isn't exploding. Calm before the storm, well shit, some long standing accounts are going to bite the dust soon. Wow

RedAssedApe

Banned
CAG basically has a thread dedicated to teaching people how to do exactly that. They call it the 360 version of "gamesharing". I can't imagine MS would care, because they could just go into that CAG thread and ban everyone who posted in that thread.

i don't see how they could ban anyone for this in the first place. its how they designed the DRM for the console. when you buy something you get two licenses. one specific to that console so that any profile logged into that console can play the games you downloaded and a license for your gamertag so you can play your downloads from someone else's xbox when logged in.

Jetman

Just created a phantom Oman account and tried to download the profile to my XBOX and got this message " 8007065B" "Sorry, XBOX LIVE profiles cannot be downloaded at this time"

So much for that. Good luck, all. It doesn't make sense to me that they can ban for a mistake on their own part. All they should do is plug the hole and move on, but we'll see...

What are people doing about this? Deleting the content and hoping they're not banned? If you've earnt achievements in any of these glitched games, that's caught red handed isn't it.

baphomet

What are people doing about this? Deleting the content and hoping they're not banned? If you've earnt achievements in any of these glitched games, that's caught red handed isn't it.

They can see who downloaded everything even if you delete all the content. At this point you might as well keep the stuff so that its on the console even if it is banned.

Jetman

I don't think deleting the games would make a difference given theres already a history of them being downloaded to your XBOX.

Glad my laziness won out if bans really are being handed out. It's strange though, they haven't banned people in the past, maybe the sheer amount of glitched content forced their hand this time?

Has anyone checked CAG, etc to see if anyone there has been banned yet?

Top Bottom