• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

Sober

wonder if AMC will ever get another era like this

FgQV6NI.jpg

"The first time I met Bryan Cranston, he was standing in his underwear. We were doing a photo shoot for a little-known network called AMC, and he was in a rubber chemistry apron, tighty whities and desert boots, while I was in an impeccably tailored 1960s suit, with slicked-back hair and a cigarette dangling from my mouth. Our shows hadn’t premiered yet. We were simply two actors, in costume and out of context. He was friendly, funny, gregarious, humble and lovely.” - Jon Hamm
"And then Bryan whispered to me ... 'You will not win an Emmy as long as I draw breath'. I didn't know it at the time, but I thought he was joking because I thought he was in another comedic role."

tanuki

I mean, I love The Wire and Breaking Bad, but this show will always be the GOAT for me. Can't wait for it to be back, but definitely feeling sad that the end is in sight now.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
"And then Bryan whispered to me ... 'You will not win an Emmy as long as I draw breath'. I didn't know it at the time, but I thought he was joking because I thought he was in another comedic role."
KuGsj.gif

The Onion A|V Club continues Mad Men week:

- For Our Consideration: Birds do it, bees do it: Mad Men’s the unsexiest show on TV
Mad Men is ruthlessly practical in its narratives, which introduce and dispose of characters with all the caprice of real life, and painstaking in its tracing of the fragility of relationships. Colleagues are a collection of snipes and second-guesses with occasional moments of creative telepathy. Family are less a source of fellow-feeling than an ongoing diplomatic negotiation between nations that will never reach an accord. But this show understands the lifesaving qualities of nuance. Rare is the divorce so permanent that you can’t occasionally share an understanding silence down the phone line; rare is a character who’s universally misunderstood. Even romantic relationships feature moments of brutal honesty. It might not be pleasant to be known, when the moment comes (Pete Campbell certainly regrets his candor when he snaps at a happy Peggy Olson, “I don’t like you like this”), but Mad Men isn’t much concerned with being pleasant.
- 11 Questions Interview: Mad Men’s Kevin Rahm on death, milk, and disappointment
In 11 Questions, The A.V. Club asks interesting people 11 interesting questions—and then asks them to suggest one for our next interviewee.

A veteran of stage and screen, Kevin Rahm plays Mad Men’s Ted Chaough, one of the simultaneously most levelheaded and most conflicted partners at Sterling Cooper & Partners. Rahm has also popped up recently in Nightcrawler and on both Madam Secretary and Bates Motel, and was a regular on Desperate Housewives for five years.

stn

Was never into dramas much until this show. Best show ever, will have to re-watch it once it ends.

Blader

I thought season 6 and to a lesser extent 5 really felt like the show was spinning its wheels and becoming even a little tired. But last year, and particularly the finale, re-endeared me to this show all over again so well that I was actually surprised by how effective it was. Although I like more series finales than not (I think the last one that I thought really shit the bed badly was Dexter) I feel pretty confident all the same that Weiner will stick the landing.

stewy

I wish the most recent season would show up on Netflix so I can binge over the next couple days. I'm having trouble remembering what happened at the end of last season.

phanphare

Banned
I wish the most recent season would show up on Netflix so I can binge over the next couple days. I'm having trouble remembering what happened at the end of last season.

it went up on March 22, I believe

(I know because I already binged it this weekend)

Just rewatched Season 5 and on.

Man, this is basically up there Sopranos and The Wire. With even better production values on top of it. The show can be so visually beautiful at times.

Gonna be sad to see it end, but I'm also anxious to see what happens.

I'm okay with an ultra classy ending like The Sopranos.

Bladenic

I hope Betty has a good send off. Ever since S4 she's been in the show so little and not really developed in any meaningful way so I hope she has something good in the end. Though given she's in few episodes I doubt it.

Fjordson

I hope Betty has a good send off. Ever since S4 she's been in the show so little and not really developed in any meaningful way so I hope she has something good in the end. Though given she's in few episodes I doubt it.
Preach.

I want Betty, Don and Joan to have happy endings, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Pryce

Best ending to any episode is season five's ending with Don walking away from Megan to the tune of "You Only Live Twice".

Yes or yes.

phanphare

Banned
Best ending to any episode is season five's ending with Don walking away from Megan to the tune of "You Only Live Twice".

Yes or yes.

I don't know man

the ending of one of the middle episodes of this last season was pretty great. the one where Don hears the stipulations of his return, thinks them over while looking generally frustrated, then looks up and says "ok" like it ain't no thang -> black screen + if 6 was 9

Fjordson

Yes or yes.
Probably. Definitely one of the best.

I loved when the girl approached him at the bar and said "I'm sorry, but my friend down there, she was wondering, are you alone?" and as Don looks up it cuts to credits before he answer. Great ending.

stewy

Just reading a synopsis of the previous season and totally forgot the field trip Betty goes on with Bobby. Considering what a perfect day it was supposed to be, watching it all unfold the way it did was heartbreaking.

Pryce

I also really liked:

Pete looking out of his apartment to "Manhattan" in S1E4.

Betty shooting the doves to "My Special Angell" in S1E9.

Don walking into the ocean to "Cup of Loneliness" S2E12.

To the man looking at the Drapers kids when they were trick or treating. "We have a Gypsy, and a Hobo". The man then looks to Betty and Don and says "And who are you?" with Don staring at the camera. S3E11

To Don and Fey sitting on the couch together with "Welcome to My World" playing them off. S4E11

Don walking away from Megan to "You Only Live Twice"

Don showing his kids his childhood home to "Both Sides Now"

I'm missing so many as well.

cyba89

Very excited for this.

Started the show last year and binge-watched all the way through. It's a really good show. I hope the end can live up to that quality.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Yes or yes.

Only Mad Men? Definitely yes. Crawl Space is probably my favourite ever from any TV show though.

Haven't seen Battlestar Galactica, but the only other one I can think of off the top of my head that comes close to the two I listed is Jacob's Ladder from Rectify. Mad Men has a ton of great closing scenes though, maybe more than any other show.

It's definitely a show that knows the power of closing a door correctly. It's like every episode is going for the blend of emotions on Kay's face at the end of Godfather.

Karl2177

I can't see how Betty has a "good" ending. The way she's been written so far is being an impetuous child, and I don't see that changing for her.

Cipherr

Betty shooting the doves to "Special Angel" is my favorite episode ending of the series. Ill never tire of that one. That subtle grimace she makes just before the screen goes black and you hear that final shot
KuGsj.gif

Spectacular.

what would be, in your opinion, a good ending for her? Just curious.

She gets to be the happiest little housecat as Henry secures some sort of prominent seat in state government.

Basically, a much more easily satisfied, less ambitious Claire from House of Cards.

Altazor

She gets to be the happiest little housecat as Henry secures some sort of prominent seat in state government.

Basically, a much more easily satisfied, less ambitious Claire from House of Cards.

Fair enough! I just think she may grow tired of that in the end... 'cause, you know, she's not stupid - she speaks italian and all that.

Top Bottom