• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

Pryce

Only Mad Men? Definitely yes. Crawl Space is probably my favourite ever from any TV show though.

I was only talking Mad Men, but Crawl Space was also very good. I think I enjoyed that guy shooting the kid in season 5 more though.

Pryce

I could see Don taking care of Sally permanently.

...But at the same time, I don't see him moving away from Betty. For all his faults, I feel like he wants his kids to know both of their parents.

Bladenic

Betty shooting the doves to "Special Angel" is my favorite episode ending of the series. Ill never tire of that one. That subtle grimace she makes just before the screen goes black and you hear that final shot
KuGsj.gif

Spectacular.

Moments when Betty acts maternal are so great. I loved that time she picked up Sally from boarding school and let her smoke a cigarette.

Also I want Joan to find love :(

Kvik

I have stopped smoking for years, but with every episode of Mad Men I saw, I have a strange urge to fill in my silver cigarette case again and light one up.

Such a great show.

Fjordson

Moments when Betty acts maternal are so great. I loved that time she picked up Sally from boarding school and let her smoke a cigarette.

Also I want Joan to find love :(
No lies detected. Really pulling for Joan.

I have stopped smoking for years, but with every episode of Mad Men I saw, I have a strange urge to fill in my silver cigarette case again and light one up.

Such a great show.
Yeah, I smoked for like two years after high school but luckily quit before discovering Mad Men. Can't say I'm not tempted sometimes :lol

CassSept

Best ending to any episode is season five's ending with Don walking away from Megan to the tune of "You Only Live Twice".

Yes or yes.

Yes.

I posted about that scene in the past, while I think season 5 is the weakest the ending is impeccable. I must have rewatched it dozens of times.

Pryce

So when will Metacritic update the Mad Men review page? I want all of the reviews in one place already.

Linius

The Draper family is getting busy showing up in comedies I'm watching this year. Can't wait for those final episodes in their 'natural habitat'. Though sad at the same time that the end is night.

I can't believe we have to say goodbye to Justified and Mad Men on such short notice
D5Jy4CR.png

Warming Glow:

- Return To The Scene: The Key Players Reflect On The Bloody Lawnmower Scene From ‘Mad Men’
CRISTA FLANAGAN (Lois Sadler): Somebody called and said, “Hey, we need you for tractor rehearsal,” and I had no idea what they were talking about because Mad Men doesn’t let the scripts out ahead of time. And I was like, “I don’t understand.” And they said, “We don’t know, you just have tractor rehearsal.” I kept thinking, do we all go to a farm? We must all go to a farm.

RICH SOMMER (Harry Crane): I thought this was where we jumped the shark. And I read it and was as shocked as I’m sure any viewer who watched the episode was. Totally didn’t see it coming. I remember saying to Michael Gladis and Aaron Staton, “Is this it? Is this where it happens? Is this where we did something so crazy that we’ll never be able to come back from it?”

FLANAGAN: I showed up at the studio, and there was a guy with a tractor in the parking lot, and he had set up these orange cones for me to practice driving. The tractor had a clutch and it was stick shift, and there was this whole thing happening. I could drive it, but I practiced in the parking lot and Rich Sommer and Aaron [Staton] came out. I remember them running out and saying, “Oh my god, do you know what you’re doing on the tractor?” And I said, “No, I have no idea what’s happening right now.” They were laughing, and they were like, “Oh my gosh, there’s this new guy who comes over to take over the office, and you’re going to run over him,” and I was just laughing.

MATT WEINER (Creator/Showrunner): The story was inspired by, how could it be that these people were so drunk all the time at all these parties and nothing like this had ever happened? But what I was really interested in was telling a story where it was about expectation, where you are anticipating something and it is completely removed. And are you changed by that?
More via the link.

The lawnmower bit is my absolute favourite scene in the whole show. Second favourite is when they're sitting in the office afterwards while the blood is being cleaned off.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The lawnmower bit is my absolute favourite scene in the whole show. Second favourite is when they're sitting in the office afterwards while the blood is being cleaned off.

Roger's quip always cracks me up.

"He might lose his foot."
"Right when he got it in the door."

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Yep.

I've managed to hold up from buying the individual seasons.

Same here! After the great care they put into Breaking Bad's super deluxe release I am really hopin' for good stuff. Haven't even rewatched a single episode in anticipation of doing the entire series from start to finish in glorious Blu quality.

Pryce

I want the complete collection so bad. The only season I've bought so far is the S6 DVD and that's only because it was on sale and I LOVE box artwork.

- Andy Greenwald: The Bottom of the Glass: Legacy and the Last Season of ‘Mad Men’
If Don Draper enters these final episodes as a man out of time, his show finds itself in similar straits. In an era buzzed on resolution and binge-watching, Mad Men may be the last high-profile drama granted the freedom to drift along into a dreamy, idiosyncratic conclusion. In 2007, when the series premiered, its uncompromising focus on internal battlefields felt radical but of a piece with the sort of ambitious storytelling unspooling elsewhere on the dial. Now, with literal battlefields ascendant, it feels like a relic. The culture appears to have moved on: Mad Men hasn’t won an Emmy in years and its ratings, while never robust, have sunk. I say this not as a referendum on the show’s undimmed quality — it is unquestionably one of the best and most daring series of all time; its afterlife will outlast Sally Draper’s grandkids — but more as a reflection of the shifting sands of style and taste. Audiences today hunger for payoffs and meaning: We demand to know where Sal ended up; whom Peggy might marry; if, for God’s sake, anyone will ever actually jump out of that high midtown window. We do this even though we know that the answers would diminish the magic and contradict Mad Men’s essential worldview: that real life occurs between history’s signposts, without much rhyme and with precious little reason. That the drink, once mixed, can never be poured back into the bottle.

Despite its period setting, Mad Men has never been a particularly old-fashioned show. Yet I find myself marking its passing with an antiquated desire to see it continue indefinitely. If there is no obvious ending, why force one at all? Couldn’t it spin on for years, like a whiskey-soaked CSI? All the crime scenes would be subjective; all the evidence emotional. Can’t we linger a while longer under the harsh fluorescent lights of a fast food restaurant with our surrogate friends, our pretend family? Like Don, I refuse to think rationally here. I want it all to stay unchanged. But in a few short months, he and I are likely to be taught the same hard lesson. The calendar doesn’t wait for us to get what we need, to make better decisions or to clean up our messes. The calendar doesn’t wait at all. And, unlike that infamous carousel, it never turns back to the beginning. The last page is about to be revealed.

Fjordson

Pryce

Andy makes great points in how television, even prestige dramas, need show to always have payoffs and for the plot to keep moving in one direction. Maybe it's the old tv person in me, but I feel like a lot of people get upset when one big thing doesn't happen in an episode. Or as he put it, TV shows nowdays can't glide along episode after episode like they used to.

The only show that I can't think of that takes its sweet time like Mad Men does is The Americans. And with that show, it's averaging like what, one million viewers per episode? If that?

Shit, check The Walking Dead threads here. People are ready to throw the show away if a character doesn't die every three episodes it seems.

Just re-watched the first half of season 7 this week. Can't wait for the last seven episodes to start airing. One of the things that has bothered me about Mad Men however (and this is well known by fans) is that characters just suddenly vanish without a proper end to their story arc (Sal, Suzanne Farrell, Sylvia Rosen especially, who STILL lives in the same building as Draper).

Fjordson

The only show that I can't think of that takes its sweet time like Mad Men does is The Americans. And with that show, it's averaging like what, one million viewers per episode? If that?
Even Americans has a bit more forward momentum to me. I'm only halfway through season 2 right now, but there's a decent amount of action and a sense of urgency that Mad Men doesn't have (or need). Great show, though.

Pryce

Even Americans has a bit more forward momentum to me. I'm only halfway through season 2 right now, but there's a decent amount of action and a sense of urgency that Mad Men doesn't have (or need). Great show, though.

Season three (very slight spoiler):
S3 is the slowest of any season. S2 is pretty action packed if I remember.

Fjordson

Season three (very slight spoiler):
S3 is the slowest of any season. S2 is pretty action packed if I remember.
Ah okay, interesting. Looking forward to it.

I had never even heard of the show until like two months ago and started marathoning it on Amazon Prime. It's really good.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Is it wrong that I want the last scene to take place in 2010 where a 20 something is trying to explain Facebook to a 70 year old Don?

Linius

Better Call Saul is just here, but I feel like that's also a show that moves really slowly without that much happening. I've already seen a couple of BB fans complain about how slow it is, they probably expected Saul to blow up someone every two episodes I guess.

Top Bottom