• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

ilbqwdmn748ec228jrhx.png

Why put the human equivalent of scat that is Tracer on an otherwise perfectly good poster.

Bluth54

GIVE PYRO UPDATE NOW.

DAMNIT VALVE.

HELL OF A WAY TO CELEBRATE 10 YEARS OF TF2.

Yeah I have to seriously wonder what's going on with the TF2 team. We're almost 2 months out from the weapon balance blog post, we had no Christmas update, the fewest patches in a single year, summer is almost over and yet we still haven't gotten our summer update yet.

I have no doubt the TF2 team is hardworking and passionate about TF2 (everyone who's ever visited them have said that) but it's starting to become ridiculous.

If we don't get the update this week I don't think we'll see it until September, the end of next week is i61 which has the biggest TF2 tournament of the year and I don't think they'll launch a big game altering patch during that time.

_Aaron_

You know, we are still due a Heavy class update. The Pyro vs Heavy only determined which one we got first. Somewhat ridiculous that we'll probably have to wait at least 2 years to get a planned update.

Bluth54

You know, we are still due a Heavy class update. The Pyro vs Heavy only determined which one we got first. Somewhat ridiculous that we'll probably have to wait at least 2 years to get a planned update.

It will be interesting to see what Valve does with the heavy update whenever it eventually comes out, especially since his minigun is likely going to be getting a buff with the upcoming update.

I think we'll see a minigun replacement that supports the fat scout playstyle. Something like the cozy camper that gives the heavy some buffs in exchange for removing his minigun (for example maybe something like health regen, slightly faster move speed and higher jump height).

It will be interesting to see what Valve does with the heavy update whenever it eventually comes out, especially since his minigun is likely going to be getting a buff with the upcoming update.

I think we'll see a minigun replacement that supports the fat scout playstyle. Something like the cozy camper that gives the heavy some buffs in exchange for removing his minigun (for example maybe something like health regen, slightly faster move speed and higher jump height).

I think that'd be interesting, although I think that would just turn him into Pyro without airblast.

Also, VNN on top of his game regarding Saxxy winners and maps, I see:

TTMR said:
Valve gave us no info on the new update, but it'd make sense to assume there would be a new jungle-themed map shipping with the Jungle update. Facepunch found the server the tf2 devs used for the matches we played and VNN messaged all of us as soon as we finished the Valve tour. We told him [VNN] the map we played on was 'thundery and mountainy' (because it was literally just regular thundermountain), and he proceeded to believe that it wasn't thundermountain and was in fact the jungle map and then released a video hours later, which we weren't expecting. he believed a locked server with a guy called 'can i get uhhhhh source 2' was 100% evidence the jungle update was coming out in june so

Lost in the excitement over babies was Valve's blog post about i61:

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=31956

i61Tourney2.jpg

Multiplay's Insomnia Gaming Festival is traditionally one of the most prominent events in the TF2 esport calendar. i61 is no exception with the Team Fortress 2 Open featuring extraordinary players fighting for a share of the largest prize pool in TF2 this year.

Coverage of Insomnia 61 at the NEC in Birmingham, England spans August 25th - 28th. Three solid days of action cumulate in the two best teams of the event stepping up to the main stage to fight for the right to take home a big cardboard cheque.

If you can't attend in person, you can watch all the action live on Twitch at Essentials.TF offering an exceptional and worldly lineup of shoutcasters and analysts.

Reddit post with dates and such is here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/6vwl3l/multiplay_i61_schedule_discussion/

. . .

IT"S LIVE BOYS

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Hype!

...does anywhere have all the rosters for the invited teams?

Nvm, found it. :p Should be really cool to see how a mixed EU/NA team does (Svift) and I'm super excited to see Kaidus back on Demo instead of coaching.

Bluth54

I hate to say it but I kinda enjoyed watching the Prolander final on Upward a couple of weeks ago more than the i61 match I watched this morning. Prolander felt more like I was watching real TF2 but at high levels compared to normal 6s.

Not to say normal 6s are bad but with the classes they use and the 5CP game mode that almost always stalemates it just isn't quite as an enjoyable viewing experience.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm having a keybind issue that's preventing me from starting. It stems from my attempts to use a PS3 Move Navigation Controller in my left hand for analog movement (at least I'm using a mouse).

The keybinds seem really well adapted to TF2 in Steam Big Picture, but I'm stuck on the cutscene of the training mode because my controller lacks the A and B buttons of the XBOX360 pad the game thinks I'm using. I've tried many configurations- all of the "confirm" and "yes" buttons in Big Picture, bindings within TF2 itself- but it just wants A and B. Help please?

Moondrop

Banned
Does this only happen in Training Mode?

Because then the solution is to not playing Training Mode. One of the worst tutorials in any game.
That worked, thanks, I was able to join a casual game. Once in my analog stick didn't move me so I had to quit out, but I'll solve that one on my own.

Edit: TF2's response to the PS3 Move Navigation controller is really messed up. I can navigate the menu with its analog stick. I can send inputs to rebind WASD, but they're incorrect. And then none of the inputs on the controller which are registered on the options menu have any effect in game mode.

I suppose I could get around this with JoyToKey or something, but I don't think I care enough. It's a shame; this controller works great in PUBG.

Edit2: The answer for this is to disable all Steam native controller support and use JoyToKey.

Fox318

So TF2 Youtuber Uncle Dane visited Valve today. He got a little wrench from the TF2 team:

and got a poster signed by the TF2 team/Valve employees:

and put out a very interesting tweet:

i doN't have any informatIoN about the pyro updatE, but i also wouldn't juSt straIght up spill it if i did. we can eXpect something soon.

The capital letters spell out NINE SIX

Looks like we'll finally get the update next Wednesday.
That can't be the TF2 team.

Now if the picture had no names then I'd believe it.

Bluth54

Well the 9/6 dream is dead, Dane did make a post about it on Facepunch, he did actually think the update was coming out 9/6 based on what he saw at Valve:

I admit my mistake of posting the cryptic tweet. I did it out of excitement literally a few hours after I left Valve's offices. Yep, bad move. I should have either just been clear about what I saw (like my follow-up clarifications) or just kept my mouth shut. And for not making those choices, I apologize.

Since we're approaching the event horizon of the 9/6 update officially being over, I might as well be extremely clear about what I saw, nothing left out. This information does not reflect my opinion or any speculation of mine.

When we were walking through the doorway that leads into where the TF Team has all of their desks, Eric took us past a rectangular shaped board room with a glass wall, so you could see inside of the entire thing from the hallway. We stopped in front of it and he explained to us what it's used for (it's used for meetings, to no one's surprise). Inside the board room was three things: a television on the far left wall, a long board room table and chairs in the middle, and a whiteboard on the far right wall.

I remembered seeing this room through the glass wall during my first visit in January. When I saw it the first time, I remember the whiteboard being basically full of random writings, none of which was clearly visible. This time, the entire whiteboard was blank except for a few things in the bottom left corner, clearly visible (for the most part) through the glass wall. I stared at it for a good long while during Eric's explanation of the room's purpose, and saw that it was exactly the following:

The words "September 6th". Below that, a time of day. This was considerably smaller than the date, so I couldn't see exactly what it said, but it was clear to me that it was a time of day. It looked a little bit like 11:30am or something, but I couldn't be sure. So I have always left that information out, since I don't know what it said. Then, underneath that - a very simplistic doodle that was very obviously a jungle. There were a few tropical looking trees and bushes all sitting on a bit of land. Looked more like a small island than anything, but it was obvious to me that it was a very small doodle of a jungle.

That was the only thing written on the whiteboard. Past that, I have no other information from my discussions with the four Valve employees we spoke with for a few hours over lunch and in their office. I've said it before in other places, but 90% of the time, we spoke to them about what we think is good, what we think needs improvement. They listened, we talked. It was not an official meeting by any means, I only wanted to visit again because I genuinely enjoy the atmosphere of Valve, the TF Team is very friendly and down-to-earth, and I love their game and respect their passion for the game. I was in town, so I wanted to stop by and catch up. I didn't go to just press them about Pyro Update news, or interview them like Tyler did.

Sure, I would have loved to have gotten some sort of hint directly from the team, but they love their surprises, so the lack of new info wasn't... surprising. And if the TF Team would have told me anything in confidence, I wouldn't talk about it publically. In fact, there are still things I learned during my first visit that I haven't spoken to anyone about, and I don't plan to - simply because it was told to me in confidence.

The difference between leaking the date I saw on the board, and leaking something the TF Team told me directly comes down to the fact that I have no idea what it meant. My mistake was that I implied it was "official" via loosely cryptic tweet. The only reason I've had faith in the date being real is because...

1) The implication is pretty damn strong. I mean, it's a date and time over a doodle of a jungle. What else could that possibly mean? I thought it was obvious.
2) It's in their board room, which is used for meetings. I imagine it went down like this: They call a meeting intended to decide the launch date. While everyone goes around confirming that their individual projects are completed, someone doodles a jungle on the board to pass the time. Once they all confirm when they think it will be done, a date is written, along with a time. Meeting adjourned, nothing else to discuss. Back to work.
3) The NINESIX meme has been bumpin' for 4 days. If a launch date decision wasn't the reason for this date being written on the whiteboard, you'd think that someone from the TF Team (like Jill) would publicly debunk it. It would take a second, and it would prevent all the disappointment from happening very easily. It would take 10 seconds. I know Valve employees don't like to speak up or clarify things, but I would imagine that an assumption this popular would warrant at least a "nope, lol" from someone. This is the main reason I was expecting it today, to be honest.

This post is getting really fucking long, so I'll just call it here. Once again, sorry for the bamboozle. I was excited, I made a mistake in the way that I brought the speculation to the public. Thanks for being a tad more understanding than the Reddit, guys. I know the Uncle Dane Hunting Memes are mostly in good fun, but do know that I actually feel bad about the way it's gone down and the only thing I can do now is wait and hope just like everyone else.

I kinda feel bad for the guy, I probably would of thought the same thing if I had seen that.
Really as soon as the community latched on to 9/6 as the release date Jill should of posted on reddit that it wasn't actually the release date for the update.I think most other developers would have cleared that up.

Bluth54

Expecting actual communication from the TF team?

Where the hell have you been for the past 5 years?

We have actually gotten more communication in the past few years. Dave Riller did the video interview back in February about what's in the Pyro/Jungle update, Jill occasionally posts on Reddit and Facepunch (though not often enough, we can go months between posts and more of the team should be posting) and the weapon balance blogpost to get feedback before the update are all things I couldn't imagine ever happening before 2015 so I do give them credit for that. It's getting better not worse.

But yeah Jill should of posted on reddit saying 9/6 wasn't the day instead of letting the community go crazy as 9/6 approached. And it would be nice to know why this update is taking so long other than they want to make it polished. They've never gone so long between major updates before and it's really hard to understand why this is taking so long.

_Aaron_

It has been EIGHTY DAYS since the Balance Changes blogpost was made. Entire video games could be made in that duration of time. For the love of God, I hope they didn't start working on the update after posting the blogpost in June because it seems that way!

We are over NINE MONTHS into the year without a major update. Entire babies could be made in that duration of time.

Summer is basically over and for the first time TF2's history there has been no major update.

Kids are going back to school. They've already missed the period to attract new people to the game and get a player boost.

WTF is going on!?

I think the reality is that the Heavy update, if it ever even comes out, is going to be the end of support for this game beyond maybe lootboxes.

Had a good run.

Fox318

Valve pretty much doesn't support the game anymore.

I mean I expect Halloween mode to be turned on late and only new crates.

Because its all about money.

Bluth54

It has been EIGHTY DAYS since the Balance Changes blogpost was made. Entire video games could be made in that duration of time. For the love of God, I hope they didn't start working on the update after posting the blogpost in June because it seems that way!

We are over NINE MONTHS into the year without a major update. Entire babies could be made in that duration of time.

Summer is basically over and for the first time TF2's history there has been no major update.

Kids are going back to school. They've already missed the period to attract new people to the game and get a player boost.

WTF is going on!?

From what people who visited Valve recently like Uncle Dane/ScottJAw said it sounds like they don't want another Meet Your Match situation and are polishing the update beyond what we normally see (though I do agree it's been a ridiculous wait).

There was just an interview done with Valve's composer a couple of days ago and he said he worked on a project this summer that could be released as soon as next week (but reminds us not to forget about Valve time). This guy has basically done all of the TF2 music tracks so he could very well be talking about the new music for the 4-5 minute SMF video that's coming with the update.

I also have a friend who's a mapper with a couple of the maps in the game and he's very sure maps have been picked and honestly thought it was coming out this past week. Usually maps are picked within 1-3 weeks of the update shipping.

Valve pretty much doesn't support the game anymore.

I mean I expect Halloween mode to be turned on late and only new crates.

Because its all about money.

I think the reality is that the Heavy update, if it ever even comes out, is going to be the end of support for this game beyond maybe lootboxes.

Had a good run.

TF2 item creator FuzzyMellow recently visited Valve and met with the TF2 team and posted this about his visit:

As brief as I can put it: Me and Void have visited Valve in the past- Once on a tour a few years back, and one other time having lunch with Dave And Eric while TI5 was a thing since we were all in the area. While we've visited Valve/select tf2 team members in the past with bigger groups of people, this is the first time that Void and I have really sat down one-on-one (one-on-two?) with Eric himself. It was a very positive, eye-opening experience.

Honestly, it was just a really chill time. Best way I could put it was that we were three people who love tf2, having fun talking about the game and how development goes not only on their part, but how the community does things, too. I don't know how much I can say or -should- say, but like I said in those tweets, it was very reassuring that tf2 ain't goin nowhere anytime soon. At least from what I could gather from Eric, anyway.

After the main tour ended was when all the chatting happened. Eric offered us a drink from the main lunch room, we all grabbed a table, and got whisked away with our thoughts. Eric told us that him and the rest of the team have been learning so much from community feedback, both from all the good people have to say, and the bad. No matter what it is, they always try to read everything people are saying; from the passion of all Eric had to say, I have a good feeling that the next update will be an enjoyable one. They really hope you all enjoy it, too.

I may be forgetting a few points since I'm still very frazzled that we got to sit with Eric personally and for so long, so if anything comes up from you all (and within reason!) I'll try my best to fill any blanks. I feel like I'm also making this all a lot longer than it should! It's just been a very busy PAX weekend besides all of this too, forgive me for any spelling/grammar mistakes ahead of time.

As of now though, this is all I have to say. From the tweets I made and from all of this writing, I hope it quells any fears people may have that the tf2 team doesn't care. From all that I've seen and heard today, the team is very tight-knit. The fact that some are in the building even though it's Labor Day solidifies the passion they have for this game too, I think. That's just me, though!

Honestly that's not the first time I've heard those type of comments from people who visited Valve so I don't think the game is going anywhere anytime soon. Apparently the TF2 team is still around 16 people too, which is pretty standard for their size post release. Both Dave Riller and Eric Smith both have been working the game since the beginning and seem to be super passionate about the game. Jill joined Valve in 2014 but also seems to be super passionate about the game and still runs multiple community servers (the Nemu server group).

I think there are 2 big issues - one is the game is old and has a lot of content. Code has been built up on old code and probably takes more time and work to program new features and fix bugs than other games. Source 1 is an old engine and that probably presents a lot of issues as well.

The other is that Valve just isn't built to support a game as a service like TF2. There probably should be more people working on the game. I don't think Valve is ever going to change though, the only hope is when they move into their new larger office later this year that they hire more people and more people decide to work on TF2
They'll work on DOTA2 and VR.

Bluth54

Today is the 10th anniversary of the first publicly available beta for Team Fortress 2 (The Orange Box came out October 10th). Happy 10th birthday TF2!

Bluth54

TF2 developer Jill runs a couple of community servers and someone from facepunch was on them with Jill the other day and he confirmed a couple things I think anyone who's played TF2 for a long time suspects.
1mf5IOp.png

4Sjpmep.png

_Aaron_

Well the Balance Changes blogpost is over 3 months old now.

We are exactly 5 weeks away from the date that Scream Fortress should theoretically launch.

Does it even make sense to launch Pyro/Jungle update so close to Scream Fortress and before it?

Won't that take the hype (whatever is left of it) away from the update and make it less memorable?

Maybe Dane was right. It's coming out September 6th. Next year.

Everything in TF2 since MYM has been embarrassing.

Top Bottom