• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

I didn't use custom configs and I don't know about interpolation settings so that's probably not it.

I haven't seen you play Overwatch in forever, howdy! You're probably right, and I didn't know about that distinction. My Overwatch ping is usually lower, and I'm used to Pharah rockets firing instantly so I feel immediate feedback. With 90 ping in TF2, I feel like rockets are firing from behind me.

Go into console and set cl_interp 0.033

This should fix the laggy sensation you're experiencing.

_Aaron_

I've not played any ranked at all. I don't mind watching 6v6 TF2, but I'm not sure I'd find playing to be much fun. I love the frantic and unpredictable nature of 12v12.

Bluth54

TF2 has finally made it! We're getting TF2 Funko Pops this fall according to a leak earlier today:
ajbjb46qkxxy.jpg

I hate Funko Pops so much they all look the same.

Bluth54

B4nny did a Q&A video today and dropped a little bit of information about the upcoming Pyro update

He actually says that he's been talking to Valve about the balance changes in the Pyro update. He says the balance changes will be pretty extensive, Valve is taking a pass at nearly every item that's problematic in the game. They want to add more depth to selections, right now a lot of classes have only one item that's a truly viable and the superior choice, Valve wants more items to be viable. They want to bring up items that are weak and uninteresting to the standards we have today.
He mentions the bonk, crit-a-cola and the GRU. They wont be as game breaking, more risk vs reward.
He's getting little hints dropped recently by the TF2 team that the Pyro update is right around the corner.

Blizzard

Banned
2/3 of those items are for Scout. Does that mean Scout is getting...buffs of a sort, so they have more viable unbanned tools to use? Yikes.

Bluth54

2/3 of those items are for Scout. Does that mean Scout is getting...buffs of a sort, so they have more viable unbanned tools to use? Yikes.

Comp players consider the Bonk and Crit-a-Cola to be very overpowered so I imagine they're going to get either nerfed somewhat or reworked.

Blizzard

Banned
Comp players consider the Bonk and Crit-a-Cola to be very overpowered so I imagine they're going to get either nerfed somewhat or reworked.
That's what I mean, they're banned now right? If they get reworked enough to finally become legal in comp, Scout will have more options available.

Bluth54

That's what I mean, they're banned now right? If they get reworked enough to finally become legal in comp, Scout will have more options available.

Ah I see. Yeah they could become legal comp and the Scout could have more viable options. It sounds like the re-balance will be pretty comprehensive with comp TF2 in mind so hopefully comp TF2 will unban more weapons.

That doesn't necessarily translate into a buff.

Even before the new whitelist, basically all Pyro weapons were unbanned. Didn't save him from being the worst class.

Blizzard

Banned
That doesn't necessarily translate into a buff.

Even before the new whitelist, basically all Pyro weapons were unbanned. Didn't save him from being the worst class.
Having more options is a positive thing for choice.

You could argue that the Scout's existing tools will be nerfed, and thus it will be a net nerf. I would argue that we don't yet know that, and as long as the Scout's existing tools stay the same, adding more tools is at minimum a small buff (if anything is remotely viable in some situation, someone might use it, and in all other cases they can use the existing tools).

It's obviously pretty silly to compare a future Scout situation with Pyro in the past, since Scout is already a good class and there's no stated reason to believe it will get worse.

Bluth54

Valve clearly wants competitive TF2 to have no banned weapons so the sooner they get all weapons balanced enough for competitive play the better.

Bluth54

I donated to the Hugs.tf charity and yesterday I found out I won their raffle:

It's my very first Australium.

In general TF2 news a TF2 Youtuber recently visited Valve and said that the team was pretty much in crunch time. The winners of the Saxxy's last year also visited the TF2 team last week and it seems like they got to playtest some upcoming content. Not surprising it seems like the Pyro/Jungle update is pretty close.

Bluth54

In another life, we'd have gotten a Christmas reskin of Viaduct with Old Nick being Monoculus, but alas it's just another bit of lore ignored for hats.

If Valve ever decides to make Halloween map/boss again I would really like a Nightmare Before Smissmas update, with an evil Snowman or Santa boss on a snow map with some added Halloween props.

Bluth54

It can be hard to say how balance changes will work out without actually playing but just from my tentative reading of the changes it seems fairly good for the most part.

They're nerfing Bonk because it didn't "require enough skill or have much of a downside?" Bonk, the item that forces Scout to give up his pistol?

Do the 3 people still working on this game just not even play it

They're nerfing Bonk because it didn't "require enough skill or have much of a downside?" Bonk, the item that forces Scout to give up his pistol?

Probably because they balanced it with comp in mind. It's been banned in 6s because it allows a scout to get behind your team consequence free and forces you to chase him down.

Blizzard

Banned
I was just thinking to myself, "Self, they'd better nerf that crusader's crossbow. It's not enough that it lacks minicrits, it's just too dang strong."

I was just thinking to myself, "Self, they'd better nerf that crusader's crossbow. It's not enough that it lacks minicrits, it's just too dang strong."

I don't quite understand what you're complaining about. All they did was nerf the uber charge rate you would get out of it. Some teams have started "arrow building" which is basically having your demo and a scout self damage to build uber as fast as possible. You'd heal the demo with crossbow while healing the scout with the medigun as the crossbow passively reloads. This lets you build uber from 0 to 100% in 17s as opposed to the 40s it would take for a medigun to do it on it's own.

The crossbow is still by far the best medic secondary. The ability to burst heal a distant target is irreplaceable and it can be used offensively much more effectively than any needle gun.

I quite like them, though I'm not a fan of the Heavy accuracy penalty. Heavy is a dumb class that needs to be fixed, but this just makes him even dumber. Though I don't think this'll be fixed until the Heavy update / Team Fortress 3.

BONK allows Scout to cheesily back-cap objectives without having to win a fight, or run right up to Medics' faces while invincible and immediately two-shot them when the invincibility wears off. Granted, Valve's proposed fix doesn't really help this much.

I forgot that TF2 had a comp mode that doesn't ban 90% of unlocks like most 6s leagues did/ possibly still do.

The vast majority of weapons are allowed in 6v6 leagues. The bulk of the banned weapons are Scout secondaries.

Bluth54

Most of those changes are surprisingly sensible.

Valve has been moving towards a more balanced TF2 since Gun Mettle (Meet Your Match had some questionable rebalances but they were apparently having tons of issues getting matchmaking working so I can kinda understand why they might not of had as much time to playtest as they would have for other updates). I do agree they seem to be sticking on that road with this update, though of course the big question at this point is the Pyro, since he'll likely get a pretty big rebalance and new weapons.

I also hope we get blogposts like this before every update to get some previews of rebalances and the TF team's thoughts behind the changes so we can provide feedback.

commissar

Looks good to me, though I do find it odd to change the Eternal Reward. The knife seems fine as is? Its a fun challenge to get your first disguise.

Bluth54

Looks good to me, though I do find it odd to change the Eternal Reward. The knife seems fine as is? Its a fun challenge to get your first disguise.

I've heard this before from people who visit Valve but this blog post seems to confirm Valve really cares about weapon equip statistics and will often do heavy re-balances on weapons that have low equip percentages.

I'm happy about spy getting nerfed into the ground as since the speedbuff it's been a little too easy for them in pubs, mainly because a lot of players seemingly haven't adapted to the fact that only scouts can melee them while they backpedal now and you see a lot of snipers and medics fruitlessly chasing them while getting revolvered to death.

I'm not so happy about heavy getting buffed, especially in conjunction with the spy nerf. I think you'll see an increase in the power of the cartheavy who never spins down and I consider that a pretty gross playstyle. I've actually thought for ages that Valve should modify the cart so that it only dispenses health and not ammo, which would limit the potential for those deathball steamrolls in pub matches where the heavies dont stop firing for the entire round.

Crowbcat released a video on TF2.

I haven't seen it yet, but considering it's 4 minutes long, I expect shots at hats, maps, balancing, and more. Also, didn't he/she/they do one of these videos before?

EDIT: having now seen it, that's interesting. Some of the stuff has been known, like the weapons not converting into ammo, but the small stuff like the weapons having physics, the pills disappearing, Sniper's bullet, etc. disappearing are curios.

Bluth54

Valve News Network got the TF2 team to agree to an interview and while they haven't answered all of his questions yet (and not the 2 most interesting, about porting TF2 to Source 2 and how far out the TF2 team sees supporting the game) they did answer several of them.

A summary for those who don't want to watch the video:

1. Valve did the all the work on the Soundscapes and the entire record, plus some other things. Yes, that track does sound like it's the Jungle map teased back in October.

2. Cactus Canyon & Asteroid have been OFFICIALLY PUT ON HOLD BY THE TF2 DEVS since they were removed, while they work on other, more important things

3. "They're finishing up the summer update, but I can't specify when it will be out."

4. They plan things out as a group, then people sign up for what they want to do if they think its a good fit. They prioritize the harder/riskier things first, so they can try and fix/recoordinate their efforts them as a group.

5. YES, THE LIST OF FEATURES (ELO, SHORT, COSMETICS ETC.) PEOPLE THINK ARE COMING, ARE COMING. However, not every pyro weapon will get touched.

Christ, I should be happy TF2 has survived 10 years, but at this rate, I don't think it's going to last the next 5 years.
4. They plan things out as a group, then people sign up for what they want to do if they think its a good fit. They prioritize the harder/riskier things first, so they can try and fix/recoordinate their efforts them as a group.
Christ, Valve's flat structure is so garbage for getting anything done. In theory, it should work better but all that means is between 6 people there's no mechanism making sure things get done in a decent time-frame.

I don't want to link to their github, but it was a cheat that has been causing havoc for a while. Most recently, it looks like the crazy number of "follow bots" appearing on valve servers prompted action. These were an army of bots that would just follow/heal only you when playing.

Edit: it looked like this in-game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_wEPRQ_x6I
Oh, so it'd be like a Heavy with 3 medics only healing them or 5 snipers all aimbotting?

I'm honestly impressed with peoples' dedication to ruin other players' good times.

I'm glad to see they're at least manual banning the blatantly obvious cheaters like nullifiedcat. C'mon Valve, give me VAC admin privileges.

Christ, I should be happy TF2 has survived 10 years, but at this rate, I don't think it's going to last the next 5 years.

Christ, Valve's flat structure is so garbage for getting anything done. In theory, it should work better but all that means is between 6 people there's no mechanism making sure things get done in a decent time-frame.

To be fair, in a conventional structure they'd probably all be working on DotA 2 instead of a 10-year old shooter :p. At least the handful of people who care about TF2 get to work on it.

Top Bottom