• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Only you guys will appreciate this:

W3ogoO3.jpg

Bluth54

Some info (and possible info) about the future of TF2 from Gabe Newell's AMA on Reddit:

Based on this statement it seems like they may be planning on porting TF2 and CSGO to Source 2.

Also Driller (one of the members of the TF2 team) made a couple of posts on the AMA:

On the size of the TF2 team:

Some of the TF2 team's thoughts on comp TF2. Also they plan on explaining their balance changes in the future:

3: The team is usually so heads-down focused on working on the game that we sometimes forget to communicate when we should.

One of the upcoming blog posts we're planning talks about the game balance changes we're working on for the next major update - along with explanations for those changes - so the community can give us feedback prior to the release.

7: TF2's been around long enough that our philosophy on the way the competitive scene exists alongside the more casual scene has changed significantly. In the years following the initial release in 2007, we regarded the competitive scene as a separate set of customers, so we'd jump between shipping new content for casual players in one update and adding a bunch of competitive features in the next. These days, we regard that view as antiquated and instead believe we should aim for a single community with players existing throughout a spectrum between casual and competitive.

As a result, we've spent the last year or two working towards unifying the two parts of the TF2 community, to bring it more in line with the way CS:GO and Dota 2 work. One barrier was that TF pros played a fairly different game to what everyone else was playing (classes and weapons are missing, different game mode, etc.). So we shipped a set of features, like these: - introduced an official competitive matchmaking mode that is closer to what most players are familiar with - to serve as a bridge - added an in-game Twitch streamers list - to help highlight pro players and organized events - provided in-game announcements around major events - talked with many different groups of players and organizers to see what kind of unified format we could adopt.

There's plenty more work to do in this space, and at some point it may transition from adding features in the product to supporting the competitive community itself. In the near term we'll continue to work on pulling the community together, using as much player feedback as we can get, combined with the data we're gathering to see how the work we've done so far is panning out.

info dump
Please don't port TF2 to Source 2. My laptop already whirs like a jet engine playing TF2, the last thing I need is an update that makes the game impossible to play on my laptop.

And I hope Valve do something special for the 10 year anniversary of the Orange Box and TF2. I've been playing this game off and on for 4 years at this point, and I've loved every second of it. In an ideal world, this year would contain: 2-3 major updates (one for Pyro, one for Heavy, and Frontline, complete with new maps, new weapons, buffs & nerfs, and cosmetics), that final comic, a new Valve-made animated short, and something stupid, like offering a limited amount of real-world TF2 cosmetics to buy i.e. Pocket Buddies, Pyro's Beanie, Trophy Belt, etc. So, hopefully, Valve pulls out all the stops this year,and really makes this year meaningful to the committee who helped their game last 10 years.

commissar

In theory porting TF2 to source 2 will actually make it run faster/more reliably, mainly because of how the different engines utilise (or don't) multiple CPU cores.

Bluth54

Please don't port TF2 to Source 2. My laptop already whirs like a jet engine playing TF2, the last thing I need is an update that makes the game impossible to play on my laptop.

Ideally Source 2 would run better then Source 1 on lower end hardware though I'm not sure if anyone has done benchmarks on DOTA2 Source 1 vs Source 2 to see if that's true (and Source 2 isn't completely finished as far as I know so some optimizations may not be in place).

Bluth54

I use the mouse option on the scoreboard and I'm always afraid I'm going to accidentally click on the report option for people when I want to look at their profile.

LMAO, Powerhouse was actually made 10 years ago.

In Dane's visit to Valve, they said Powerhouse was an unfinished map circa 2007. Valve Time, ladies and gentlemen.

Blog post:
ITEM TRADING

In July of last year we outlined our position on gambling web sites, specifically noting that Valve has no business relationship with these sites. At that time we also began blocking many CSGO gambling accounts. You can view the original post here.

More recently, some gambling web sites started leveraging TF2 items. Today we began the process of blocking TF2 gambling accounts as well. We recommend you don’t trade with these sites.

Bluth54

The Valve News Network Youtube channel got to do some interviews with Valve employees and he posted his interview with Dave Riller, one of the TF2 devs. Some of the new information included in the interview:

The next update is going to be one of the biggest ones ever.

The contracts will have a lot more player choice, players choose the type of contracts they do and the rewards they try to achieve. They call it "Choose your own adventure" internally.

The Pyro class pack will likely have weapons for the pyro that changes the class in some way and has a new gameplay twist.

There will be broad game balancing work, based on comp player feedback. Looking at high level for balance.

It sounds like the Jungle update will be part of the Pyro update.

It will also include community maps and cosmetics.

Competitive will have an ELO system and placement matches.

They're working on a 4-5 minute video for the update similar to the Meet the Team videos.

Valve happened to be working on the Jungle theme update at the same time as the Mayann update.

voodooray

One of the things that they mentioned was the idea that they don't want the game to treat the player base into two distinct 'casual' and 'competitive' communities, but rather have one pool of players, with a 'broad spectrum' (4m40s mark).

Very interested how they will do this, though for the life of me, have no idea how they will manage it.

Incidentally, there was another video made from a different visitor to to Valve recently that gave a couple of other interesting tidbits, with some crossover with what was summarised above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P8Ubkn_a6Y

Has some new things, like the casual level cap being increased to 300 (and beyond).

Bluth54

One of the things that they mentioned was the idea that they don't want the game to treat the player base into two distinct 'casual' and 'competitive' communities, but rather have one pool of players, with a 'broad spectrum' (4m40s mark).

Very interested how they will do this, though for the life of me, have no idea how they will manage it.

Incidentally, there was another video made from a different visitor to to Valve recently that gave a couple of other interesting tidbits, with some crossover with what was summarised above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P8Ubkn_a6Y

Has some new things, like the casual level cap being increased to 300 (and beyond).

Based on what Valve has said about future rebalances I think what Valve's going to try and do is rework classes like the heavy and pyro so thry can be viable in comp, rework game modes so more modes are viable in comp (like payload and attack/defend CP) and try to get weapons balanced so banning weapons isn't needed in comp. Basically make comp much more like normal TF2 because right now a casual player watching a comp match would be very confused as to why only 4 of the classes and only 2 game modes are played.

It's not going to be easy but I hope Valve figures it out. One thing I think that may work for payload is to have the cart move at a 2x rate when there are 6 or less players on the attacking team but of course that would need some play testing.

Not every class may be viable in all modes all the time, but with rebalances and more modes I could see more classes getting playtime in comp.

The core issue with limited classes in comp comes from class mobility. The ones that get used regularly are all the ones that have the ability to quickly react to a variety of situations on 5cp maps (with medic being the exception for obvious reasons).

Unless you give pyro/heavy/sniper/spy/engineer a quick way to get to the mid point at the start of the round and then react fluidly to enemy strategies during phase play, you won't see them used no matter how many guns they get because they simply won't be quick enough.

Valve tried this by giving the heavy the GRU, but that took a lot of the aerial movement and skill (both rocketjumping and countering jumpers with airshots) out of the game so it got removed from the competitive whitelist.

TF2 as a 9-class game is always going to run up against the issue that highly skilled and competitive FPS players enjoy dueling with skill based aim, hitting difficult shots on fast moving/airborne targets, and pulling off tricky movement. They do not enjoy getting airblasted into the sky, or shooting static meatshields in the form of heavies and engineers.

If you buff those classes to make them competitively viable without fundamentally changing how they work, you make the game less fun for those who currently try to push it to it's limits. If you change the classes too significantly, you risk alienating the large playerbase that enjoys playing heavy/engineer/pyro/spy on payload maps.

The best option at this point would be to start work on TF3 with an esports focus from the ground up, including making sure all 9 classes had a high skill ceiling and good mobility. Unfortunately, Valve can't count to 3.

The core issue with limited classes in comp comes from class mobility. The ones that get used regularly are all the ones that have the ability to quickly react to a variety of situations on 5cp maps (with medic being the exception for obvious reasons).

Unless you give pyro/heavy/sniper/spy/engineer a quick way to get to the mid point at the start of the round and then react fluidly to enemy strategies during phase play, you won't see them used no matter how many guns they get because they simply won't be quick enough.

Valve tried this by giving the heavy the GRU, but that took a lot of the aerial movement and skill (both rocketjumping and countering jumpers with airshots) out of the game so it got removed from the competitive whitelist.

TF2 as a 9-class game is always going to run up against the issue that highly skilled and competitive FPS players enjoy dueling with skill based aim, hitting difficult shots on fast moving/airborne targets, and pulling off tricky movement. They do not enjoy getting airblasted into the sky, or shooting static meatshields in the form of heavies and engineers.

If you buff those classes to make them competitively viable without fundamentally changing how they work, you make the game less fun for those who currently try to push it to it's limits. If you change the classes too significantly, you risk alienating the large playerbase that enjoys playing heavy/engineer/pyro/spy on payload maps.

The best option at this point would be to start work on TF3 with an esports focus from the ground up, including making sure all 9 classes had a high skill ceiling and good mobility. Unfortunately, Valve can't count to 3.

This here is pretty much the issue.

This isn't to say that defensive classes don't have their place - without them, teams pushed back to last would basically be guaranteed a loss because Scouts and Soldiers are pretty weak at defending last - but nobody likes playing them or playing against them, and a large part of the reason 5CP is so popular is because Heavy, Engineer, and Pyro are mostly non-viable.

I wish they'd completely overhaul them, but that's never going to happen. Valve is extremely reluctant to change base class functions, pub players want their highly-effective tank classes, and the competitive community's attitude towards the offclasses is usually "What can we do to this class so that I don't have to deal with this shit anymore", instead of "How can we rebalance this class to make it more skill-indexed and less irritating, without making it completely irrelevant?"

A TF3 that actually balances around high-level play is a dream, but even if TF3 ever happens I'm not exactly brimming with confidence that it'll target high level play instead of the Overwatch crowd.

How cool would it be if, on March 3rd, they announced Half-Life 3, Left For Dead 3, Team Fortress 3, Portal 3 and Ricochet 3 all at once.

Why would they announce Ricochet 2 and Ricochet 3 on the same day?

commissar

If Heavy cannot be overhealed/loses any overheal when he spins up, it retains his survivability when moving through chokes but can still be focus fired in combat.

This also makes non-sandvich secondaries a good option.

Bluth54

Valve put out the first TF2 update in about a month today:

- Improved Steam Voice support for servers that have enabled it
- Removed sv_use_steam_voice convar. Steam voice is now selected via "sv_voicecodec steam"
- Fixed demos not properly recording Steam Voice status, resulting in potential corrupt voice in demos with differing default settings
- Will now use the native Steam Voice sampling rate, instead of clamping to 11kHz
- Improved compatibility with Steam client beta
- Fixed OS X voice communication sounding high-pitched when using the default CELT voice codec
- Fixed an animation bug that would cause the client and server hitboxes to become out of sync
- Fixed the Scout not playing the correct animation when using the Shortstop's Alt-Fire to shove someone
- Fixed some missing VO sounds for the Scout when he picks up a baseball
- Fixed Spectators seeing the fake death notices for the Spy when he feigns death
- Fixed the Widowmaker not doing increased damage when the Sentry's target is a building, boss, or tank
- Fixed not earning Crikey meter progress with The Cleaner's Carbine when damaging a building, boss, or tank
- Fixed the Scout not getting assists for shoving players while using the Shortstop
- Fixed not being able to use non-tradable Giftapults
- Fixed powerups sometimes being removed from the game in Mannpower mode
- Fixed a case where the scoreboard would not update properly when players volunteer to switch teams in Casual mode
- Fixed a case where Casual servers would spontaneously terminate with "Server shutting down" upon losing connection with the matchmaking service
- Updated the logic used to pick the maps players can vote on in the end-of-match map vote on Casual servers to help maintain healthier game mode representation across regions
- Casual servers were often rotating to unrelated game modes during votes, resulting in partially filled servers in certain regions
- Updated the player_bodygroups that are hidden when equipping The Dark Falkirk Helm and The Sole Saviors
- Updated the model/materials for The Snowmann to fix some LOD issues
- Updated the localization files
- Added Gift Wrap back to the Mann Co. Store at a reduced price
- Added TF2Maps 72hr TF2Jam Winter Participant 2017 community medal
- Added Rally Call Charity Tournament community medals
- Added ozfortress Season 18 tournament medals
- Added new survey questions to the end-of-match survey for Casual and Competitive modes and fixed a bug where multiple surveys could be displayed at the same time

By far the biggest bug fix is "Fixed an animation bug that would cause the client and server hitboxes to become out of sync"
If you changed certain classes in game the character model and hit box would be slightly out of sync, which of course made it harder to hit someone who was affected by the glitch. This has apparently been in the game since launch and it's finally fixed.

Bluth54

So apparently Erik Wolpaw and Jay Pinkerton left Valve today. They wrote Portal 2 and the TF2 comics.

They clarified that, it's only Erik that's leaving not Jay.

I thought Erik was just going to temporarily leave valve to work on Psychonauts 2 not that he was leaving Valve forever.

Does anyone know if it's possible to queue for a specific region? I know you can limit it based on ping, but I live in Western Australia which gets identical ping from Singapore and Sydney.

Unfortunately, the quality of play on Singapore servers is generally pretty awful and I'm increasingly finding myself having to queue multiple times to avoid them.

Bluth54

Does anyone know if it's possible to queue for a specific region? I know you can limit it based on ping, but I live in Western Australia which gets identical ping from Singapore and Sydney.

Unfortunately, the quality of play on Singapore servers is generally pretty awful and I'm increasingly finding myself having to queue multiple times to avoid them.

No the ping limiter is the only option you have unfortunately.

Bluth54

I don't see TF2 comp ever flourishing like CS: GO or Dota 2. He's right that there's a lot of challenges and that Valve are too slow. Riller said in the interview that only 5-6 people on TF2 dev team are programmers/designers. They put balance updates out way too infrequently.

I would never count Valve out, I doubt most people though CSGO would become massively popular game and become a major esport when it came out since most CS fans didn't unlike it and it had less players than CS Source.
I doubt comp TF2 will ever be as popular as CSGO or DOTA but I can see the game and competitive scene growing beyond what it currently is if Valve does a good job with the next few updates.

I think current TF2 Team has a better grasp of what makes competitive TF2 than the old one under Walker (who introduced a bunch of broken unlocks like the GRU and Gunslinger to try and force the offclasses into the meta), but yeah, they're waaaaaay too slow as of now.

VlYyzTt.jpg

The chat:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Blizzard

Banned
VlYyzTt.jpg

The chat:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜
I wish I could send this image back in time 9 years and see people's reactions.

Fox318

I don't see TF2 comp ever flourishing like CS: GO or Dota 2. He's right that there's a lot of challenges and that Valve are too slow. Riller said in the interview that only 5-6 people on TF2 dev team are programmers/designers. They put balance updates out way too infrequently.
It never will.

In order for valve to have a proper comp scene they need to listen to the fans, players, and leagues and have frequent updates and a clear communication channel.

Which they are incapable of doing.

commissar

Will be interesting to see how Valve balance the weapons on the 6s community banlist. Not that I have much of a stake as a pub player, but I'd like to see the game thrive.

& from what people have said Valve does listen to the fans a lot. You just have to make a pilgrimage to get any communication back :n

Top Bottom