• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

j-wood

Is it still the preferred method to do programming on a mac since you have easy access to a terminal and whatnot?

I do have some beefy windows machines already, but figured it'd be better for my professional career to have a mac as well.

Deku Tree

Is it still the preferred method to do programming on a mac since you have easy access to a terminal and whatnot?

I do have some beefy windows machines already, but figured it'd be better for my professional career to have a mac as well.

If you will have beefy windows machines available then maybe you want to go for the 12" rMB for the portability. It is really much more noticeably portable than even the 13".

Vuze

I just discovered this app and instantly opted for the Pro version. Best three bucks I've spent in a while. Lets you (auto)hide menu bar items or make them disappear even when Apple doesn't want you to (cough spotlight cough). The guy also has a slack-like global emoji tool which is dope too. Will consider it after toying around with it for a bit 👌

It baffles me why Apple doesn't offer this functionality per se, I've seen tons of clogged up menu bars on other macs.

http://matthewpalmer.net/vanilla/

Blackhead

Redarse
t

Buy a Mac (or turn one of your beefy windows machines into a mackintosh) but this is a completely wrong headed reason to do so

I just discovered this app and instantly opted for the Pro version. Best three bucks I've spent in a while. Lets you (auto)hide menu bar items or make them disappear even when Apple doesn't want you to (cough spotlight cough). The guy also has a slack-like global emoji tool which is dope too. Will consider it after toying around with it for a bit 👌

It baffles me why Apple doesn't offer this functionality per se, I've seen tons of clogged up menu bars on other macs.

http://matthewpalmer.net/vanilla/
Bartender is the most recommended utility app for this feature

Vuze

I'm very well aware and have tried the trial of Bartender. Vanilla seems to be a better buy for my needs: Just move non-critical stuff out of sight and get rid of the Spotlight icon without messing with the system internals. 😉

j-wood

t

Buy a Mac (or turn one of your beefy windows machines into a mackintosh) but this is a completely wrong headed reason to do so

What do you mean? I'm not coming at it for being hip or looking cool, it was a genuine question on if programmers preferred and Mac setup as that's what I had been seeing around.

Hey just picked up a new 13' MBP w/ the touch bar. I really liking it so far
beaides the lack of USB slots and unable to upgrade the ram or HD.
Since we are kinda in the topic, what programs should I download or get rid off?

Vuze

Since we are kinda in the topic, what programs should I download or get rid off?
Look into BetterTouchTool (custom gestures and window snapping), CaffeinateMe (keep Mac awake while downloading big files or similar), FinderPath (click finder window title to show absolute path), cdto (if you do terminal stuff), Vanilla (hide menu bar items until you need them), Tweetbot (if you’re using Twitter), project IINA (if you’re watching tons of videos with subtitles, exotic codecs etc where QuickTime doesn’t suffice).

Dr. Worm

Banned
Hey, MacGAF. Could use some help.

Not usually a Mac guy, but my junk HP finally kicked the bucket after a little over two years. Hardware problems galore - the USB ports didn't work, it fried the original hard drive, and it finally got taken down by one of the hinges being busted. Thing wouldn't even start, and I ended up ripping it apart just for shits and giggles (and to get my hard drive out).

Anywho, the only other laptop I've got lying around is a 15" MBP from 2010. It's in decent condition, and I updated it to El Capitan Todd from whatever it was on before. I'm thinking I'll dual-boot Windows 10 on here, get a cheap USB hard drive enclosure, and do some rearrangement so I can get the 1 TB drive that I pulled out of the busted one into this one.

It'd be pretty nice, except it keeps crashing on me and I don't know why. It runs pretty hot, though maybe that's normal? I'd like to have it not crash on me. Should I update this to Sierra, or keep it where it is? Would it be worth upgrading the RAM, and if so, how much can I put in? Will the crashes follow me to a Windows 10 partition, or would I be fine if I just sat there?

Thanks for the help in advance.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Look into BetterTouchTool (custom gestures and window snapping), CaffeinateMe (keep Mac awake while downloading big files or similar), FinderPath (click finder window title to show absolute path), cdto (if you do terminal stuff), Vanilla (hide menu bar items until you need them), Tweetbot (if you’re using Twitter), project IINA (if you’re watching tons of videos with subtitles, exotic codecs etc where QuickTime doesn’t suffice).
IINA's pretty damn cool. It's about time another video player other than Safari got support for Picture in Picture. Even VLC doesn't have that yet. Or StreamToMe. I mean come on! Hell, even fucking QUICKTIME doesn't have PIP. It's been like what, 3 years now? Well 3 versions. These apps should have implemented it years ago. Im tired of only being able to use PIP with YouTube. (And at least we can because if any company is shitty enough to find a way to disable PIP just to put it behind a paywall or something it's Google. I'd buy YouTube Red just to get PIP back if they decided to do that.)

I may just replace VLC with IINA for a while.

Hey, MacGAF. Could use some help.

Not usually a Mac guy, but my junk HP finally kicked the bucket after a little over two years. Hardware problems galore - the USB ports didn't work, it fried the original hard drive, and it finally got taken down by one of the hinges being busted. Thing wouldn't even start, and I ended up ripping it apart just for shits and giggles (and to get my hard drive out).

Anywho, the only other laptop I've got lying around is a 15" MBP from 2010. It's in decent condition, and I updated it to El Capitan Todd from whatever it was on before. I'm thinking I'll dual-boot Windows 10 on here, get a cheap USB hard drive enclosure, and do some rearrangement so I can get the 1 TB drive that I pulled out of the busted one into this one.

It'd be pretty nice, except it keeps crashing on me and I don't know why. It runs pretty hot, though maybe that's normal? I'd like to have it not crash on me. Should I update this to Sierra, or keep it where it is? Would it be worth upgrading the RAM, and if so, how much can I put in? Will the crashes follow me to a Windows 10 partition, or would I be fine if I just sat there?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Is there any data on there at all? It might benefit you to just totally reinstall the OS if that's possible (or save the stuff you care about, and then do that). And what do you mean by crashing? Be as specific as possible.

The crashes would follow to a Win 10 partition if it's a hardware issue, which you can find out by eliminating software first (ie restore).

For what it's worth, a shitty HP is what got me to switch to a Mac in the first place. Absolutely garbage company no matter how much you spend.

The urge to buy a decked out iMac is so high right now but I don't know if I should just use my money to upgrade my PC (this is for production work)

j-wood

I did it. Snagged a 13inch macbook pro without the touchbar yesterday for 1,399 from best buy.

First ever mac, though i have an ipad and an iphone. This is a drastic change from windows.

Fuchsdh

The urge to buy a decked out iMac is so high right now but I don't know if I should just use my money to upgrade my PC (this is for production work)

I mean waiting until the iMac Pro seems like the best bet, if only because it would possibly drive down iMac prices in areas like refurb and the like so you could snag it for cheaper.

What kind of work do you do? I'm sure it would be more cost-effective to upgrade the PC but depending on your workload it might not really matter.

I did it. Snagged a 13inch macbook pro without the touchbar yesterday for 1,399 from best buy.

First ever mac, though i have an ipad and an iphone. This is a drastic change from windows.

Congrats. If you've got questions hit us up.

Vuze

Does anyone know of a Safari extension (or maybe hotkey) that enables "double-tap-to-top" for tabs? Couldn't find anything. Like on iOS, where you can instantly go to the top of a site. I've been using this on Firefox on my PC for a long time and I dearly miss it.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Is there any data on there at all? It might benefit you to just totally reinstall the OS if that's possible (or save the stuff you care about, and then do that). And what do you mean by crashing? Be as specific as possible.

The crashes would follow to a Win 10 partition if it's a hardware issue, which you can find out by eliminating software first (ie restore).

For what it's worth, a shitty HP is what got me to switch to a Mac in the first place. Absolutely garbage company no matter how much you spend.

On the previous OS, the screen would go black, but the keyboard would stay lit, so I'd have to turn it off and then back on using the power button.

On this, once the screen goes black, I'll then get a gray screen telling me in multiple languages that something went wrong and the computer will restart on my keypress or in a few seconds.

Crash report says it's a kernel panic. Sometimes it happens after an hour of use, sometimes within five minutes of turning it back on.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does anyone know of a Safari extension (or maybe hotkey) that enables "double-tap-to-top" for tabs? Couldn't find anything. Like on iOS, where you can instantly go to the top of a site. I've been using this on Firefox on my PC for a long time and I dearly miss it.
I use Better Touch Tool and set up a global gesture for home and end. Three finger swipe up for end and down for home. (To keep in line with the natural scrolling direction. But you can regmverse them if you want. Or use whatever gesture you want other than swiping.)

Use BTT. It’ll work in all apps and not just Safari. All Mac users should have BTT anyway.

mackaveli

I just got Microsoft Remote Desktop connection to connect to my windows work computer. I use to do this on a windows computer and can easily add local resources like a my drive and other items.

How do I add local resources in mac? Thanks

mug

I just got Microsoft Remote Desktop connection to connect to my windows work computer. I use to do this on a windows computer and can easily add local resources like a my drive and other items.

I don't think the Microsoft App has too much to offer other than simple RDP. Maybe try Remote Desktop Manager?

I mean waiting until the iMac Pro seems like the best bet, if only because it would possibly drive down iMac prices in areas like refurb and the like so you could snag it for cheaper.

What kind of work do you do? I'm sure it would be more cost-effective to upgrade the PC but depending on your workload it might not really matter.

Congrats. If you've got questions hit us up.

Post production/motion graphics. I'm freelancing right now so sometimes I'll bring my Macbook Pro in...which does the job pretty well until I start adding 3D/stacking effects.

The PC would give me more power/cheaper theoretically but there just seems to be some compatibility issues I might run into/also it being a pain in the ass to lug a giant desktop into an office.

Vuze

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. Do you mean a hotkey to go to the top of a page? If so, the home key will take you there, or command+up arrow if you're on a laptop. (also option+up is PageUp)

I use Better Touch Tool and set up a global gesture for home and end. Three finger swipe up for end and down for home. (To keep in line with the natural scrolling direction. But you can regmverse them if you want. Or use whatever gesture you want other than swiping.)

Use BTT. It’ll work in all apps and not just Safari. All Mac users should have BTT anyway.
Cheers, works good enough!

BubbaMc

Why not use the Windows 10 Linux developer tools instead?

febLey

Yesterday I had something weird going on with my 2016 nTB MBP: I closed the lid, after maybe 2 hours I opened it and the battery was completely dead. I'm pretty sure that it was over 40% when I closed the lid.

Did someone experience the same?

Why not use the Windows 10 Linux developer tools instead?
Because all the Windows terminal application suck. cmder, conemu, console2, I've tried them all and none of these can compete with even the standard macOS terminal.
The Windows file system has a maximum depth of subfolders, I had a lot of problems with node modules because of that.
Windows uses CRLF line endings instead of the *nix standard LF.
Windows has another permission system than *nix systems, if you code for the web that sucks.

Those are reasons why I switched to macOS instead of using the Bash on Windows 10.

Edit: Forgot to mention that macOS has some really good applications for developers like Dash, Transmit, Tower, iTerm, etc.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

Assuming you are using Microsoft Remote Desktop app on the Mac:
- Select the connection from the list (just select it by clicking, do not connect or anything)
- Press the "Edit" button at the top of the window
- On the popup window, press the "Redirection" button
- If "Enable folder redirection" isn't checked, check it
- Press the "+" at the bottom
- Add a name for the resource
- Select the folder you want and click OK
- That's it

EDIT: To the above poster, the subfolder limit was MS being dumb, since NTFS doesn't really have that limitation. On W1 that limitation can be removed via Group Policy at least.

Sanic

Something inside of my 2017 MacBook Pro with TB seems to be...loose? Or dislodged?

If I tilt the computer back and forth at 45 degree angles, I can hear a quiet *thud* at both ends of the computer, depending on which way I'm tilting. Is this normal? It appears I have a similar/identical problem to what is talked about here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6861318?start=60&tstart=0

Might just be a manufacturing variance. Doesn't sound like it's a problem necessarily, but disappointing given the price of the machine.

Edit: Reading elsewhere, it may be parts of the force touch component sliding back and forth.
Edit2: More reading suggests it's probably not that either. What I'm hearing/feeling seems to be coming from the top of the chassis, near where the touch bar is.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

I personally use Parallel's Client to do RDP.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/parallels-client/id600925318?mt=12

It handles Mac OS keyboard shortcuts a bit better. Copy is CMD+C for example.

The following have been useful for me:

• Spectacle
    • Instead of BetterTouchTool, it's free, fewer options, more straight forward
  • Flux
    • There's a built in version in Sierra, but Flux still has more options
  • ClipMenu (older, more features) or FlyCut
    • Save your clipboard history so that you can easily paste something from before -- good for programmers
  • AppCleaner removes app settings
  • Commander One
    • I try to use it more often, but default Finder comes up most of the time
  • iTerm2 or Hyper
    • Terminal alternatives. iTerm2 is older, has more features. Hyper is new, built on the Electron HTML5 framework -- has potential

Lastly, if you're okay with the command line and want to install all kinds of binaries and apps . . .

Install Homebrew and Cask

bnx

I frequently use Alfred (To replace spotlight), PopClip (makes copying pasting easier among other things) and Little Snitch. You'll have to pay for PopClip and Little Snitch but they have free trials.

jetsetrez

I’m sure I’m not the first one to think of this, but man wouldn’t it be a huge boon to gaming on Apple platforms if they made it like Steam where any game purchased on the App Store was available across iOS and macOS, and made an official reference controller for both iOS and macOS? Like, there are so many games and ports already on iOS that a lot of people take for granted, like all of the full, real deal Dragon Quest games, a bunch of FFs, Mana, Phoenix Wrights, and lots of other ports that would actually be compelling with a controller, and especially if you could play them at your leisure on the go or on the big screen. Most other modern platforms/consoles don’t even have a lot of those.

Even indie games like Oxenfree, Amanita’s games, etc, that are already on both would be much more compelling purchases on the App Store vs other digital platforms if you only paid once and owned it on all Apple devices. Games on the Mac App Store are generally way overpriced as is. It would instantly make traditional games much more desirable on both iOS and macOS.

It's not enough for media but it is enough for the OS and some apps.

256 is the real minimum IMO.

128 was not enough for my Air in 2012....

Ugh, this was what I was afraid of. I can get the 2017 MBP nTB 128GB for $960 new. I guess purchasing iCloud storage or plugging in a HD would get annoying too. Maybe I'll just wait to see if the 256/512GB goes on sale, but my current laptop is dead and I need one sooner rather than later haha.

Sanic

Will it be problematic long-term to leave my MBP plugged in most of the time?

I've come to realize that I don't really have much use for a personal laptop anymore, and so I'm expecting to only take my laptop off of the charger perhaps once or twice a week. It's suggested by Apple and others that you let the battery discharge occasionally for optimal health, but I'm not sure what "occasionally" really means in practice.

Will it be problematic long-term to leave my MBP plugged in most of the time?

I've come to realize that I don't really have much use for a personal laptop anymore, and so I'm expecting to only take my laptop off of the charger perhaps once or twice a week. It's suggested by Apple and others that you let the battery discharge occasionally for optimal health, but I'm not sure what "occasionally" really means in practice.

Once or twice a week is perfect. You essentially just want to not leave it plugged in all the time constantly, the cells have to work occasionally to keep from going bad. Months on end is what you want to avoid

jetsetrez

Ugh, this was what I was afraid of. I can get the 2017 MBP nTB 128GB for $960 new. I guess purchasing iCloud storage or plugging in a HD would get annoying too. Maybe I'll just wait to see if the 256/512GB goes on sale, but my current laptop is dead and I need one sooner rather than later haha.
How/where?? Or do you have a special deal somehow? I would love to buy that instantly for that price.

j-wood

Can anyone recommend a midi keyboard to use with garage band?

Really digging garage band, and want to start creating stuff. I've played guitar for a few years now, is there an adaptor I can hook those up to this MacBook too? I have the new MacBook non touch bar, so only 2 usb c ports.

j-wood

Price range? Do you need full keys? Do you want just a keyboard or a midi controller that includes a keyboard?

When I was looking for a small beginners controller I ended up picking up an MPK Mini.

Looking at Amazon's Best Sellers list might be a good place to start just to get an overview of what's out there.

Yeah I'd like to stay under $100. I've only ever played guitar, never anything with keys, so I'm starting from scratch. Just something for starting out basically

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Stay away from apps like these. At best they miss things, at worst they cause problems. Either leave those old plists alone or if you have the savvy remove that stuff by hand if you really must.

Same with cleanmymac and all that other shite. It's all borderline malware.
It isn't malware, and you can select which optional files to delete.

oZFbeUc.png

I think I'm about to break. The J-L line on my 2011 MacBook Air is now intermittently working, so it could be time for the 13" 2017 Pro. Thinking:

• Touchbar (can't dump the perf boost and extra fan)
  • 16GB (I will defend 8GB and even 4GB as perfectly fine for Sierra/High Sierra but buying for 5 years from now, I think 16GB is worth it?)
  • 512GB SSD (Honestly, I don't use much storage, even the 128GB Air is okay. But looking forward...)
  • Processor upgrade? Maybe not a big deal but the midrange i5 for $140 seems pretty cheap?

Any MBP owners want to chime in?

I think I'm about to break. The J-L line on my 2011 MacBook Air is now intermittently working, so it could be time for the 13" 2017 Pro. Thinking:

• Touchbar (can't dump the perf boost and extra fan)
  • 16GB (I will defend 8GB and even 4GB as perfectly fine for Sierra/High Sierra but buying for 5 years from now, I think 16GB is worth it?)
  • 512GB SSD (Honestly, I don't use much storage, even the 128GB Air is okay. But looking forward...)
  • Processor upgrade? Maybe not a big deal but the midrange i5 for $140 seems pretty cheap?

Any MBP owners want to chime in?

I have a baseline 13” tbMBP (so base proc, 8GB, 256GB) and I don’t do anything intensive on it, but this thing FLIES. Everything loads instantly, I can’t imagine that it’ll ever be slow unless the requirements for macOS change or I switch careers

The new Pros have the fastest consumer SSDs on the market, unless you’re doing CPU/GPU bound stuff you’ll be okay

Top Bottom