• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

One underappreciated but exceptionally good thing about my 15” MBP I’d like to highlight: how fucking good the display scaler is.

I’ve been gaming under Boot Camp a lot, and obviously the Radeon Pro 460 is not pushing full 2880x1800 very well in most games (except, like, TF2). 1920x1200 and 1680x1050 are a lot more doable, and the display does a phenomenal job scaling those resolutions to the panel without being fuzzy. I’d honestly say it looks better than a native 1200p or 1050p display because the high PPI smooths out the screen door effect those resolutions would natively have.

Apple does great work with scaling across their entire line, I would say. I’m super happy to hear that holds up in BootCamp since when I grab an iMac pro in a couple years that’s what I’ll be doing

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm having the hardest time trying to figure out if the 2017 MacBook is worth $320 more than the 2016 MacBook. Fuck.

jWlg3Co.png

2qCx4R4.png

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Yeah, take even minor improvements in Kaby Lake any day over Skylake. If anything, the integrated GPU's UHD playback capabilities will extend your system's lifespan.

That's what I'm thinking. Saving $300 now doesn't mean much if I'm gonna potentially end up replacing it sooner.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
This weekend is "tax-free" for back to school so tax in my area dropped from 9.75% to 7.75%, which isn't much but every little bit counts.

Bought the $1256 12" Macbook from Best Buy last night and of course my order status page now says...

Our tax calculation system is temporarily down. Your current order total does not reflect sales tax or other applicable taxes. However, you will be charged tax for this order.

So who knows if I'll get the proper tax rate or not when its all said and done...or if the order will ship at all.

Alright, so I've got a tad bit of a problem.

Took apart my Macbook Pro to replace the thermal paste and that went fine, but the screwdriver bit set I had sucked. The bit itself ended up getting stripped and I wasn't able to get the back panel back on tightly enough. I'll get another bit set tomorrow but one of the screws is sort of half in and more stripped than the rest (it was the last one before I realized the bit was worthless). Two questions:

1. If the screw is too worn out to get back in fully, how do I get it out?
2. If I have to remove the screw entirely, what compatible screw can I put in there? It's one of the two 2.8mm deep pentalobe.

dommynick

I'm having the hardest time trying to figure out if the 2017 MacBook is worth $320 more than the 2016 MacBook. Fuck.

I'm going through the same decision on a 13" MBP. It's about a $100 difference between the latest model and last year's model. Will the extra $100 be worth it?

I'm going through the same decision on a 13" MBP. It's about a $100 difference between the latest model and last year's model. Will the extra $100 be worth it?

$100? Yeah, if specs and storage are the same. You're one year farther from obsolescence, performance is a bit better and you get any tweaks they did under the hood to reduce maintenance issues.

Is there a good to-do list/calendar app that syncs well with iOS/MacOS AND has a webclient?

Basically I'm looking for a replacement for Sunrise with more to-do features that can work well when I'm at a freelance studio

Is there a good to-do list/calendar app that syncs well with iOS/MacOS AND has a webclient?

Basically I'm looking for a replacement for Sunrise with more to-do features that can work well when I'm at a freelance studio

What to-do features are you looking for? It doesn’t run well at all but iCloud.com gives you access to any calendar or reminders list stored in iCloud

What to-do features are you looking for? It doesn’t run well at all but iCloud.com gives you access to any calendar or reminders list stored in iCloud

Daily/repeating tasks, reminders, organization with different themes. Stuff like that. I like the reminders app just fine but it just seems...kinda clunky? iCloud.com is really slow too.

I really really just miss Sunrise. I'll never forgive Microsoft for buying them out

So I just had service done on my 2016 15" Pro for a blown speaker issue. The way they fixed it is by basically replacing the entire top case - which includes the keyboard assembly. Fun fact, they seem to have replaced it with a 2017 top case. I can tell because the option and control keys have the shortcut symbols printed on them, like the 2017 model and unlike the 2016. The keyboard is also very noticeably quieter (though still louder than the pre-Touch Bar Pros) and less... harsh to type on? There's not literally more travel, but it feels almost like there's a slight padding under the keys now that makes it much more comfortable to type on.

So, hey, got a free keyboard upgrade out of my speaker repair!

Just got mine back as well, and happy to report in that my keyboard was upgraded, too. I concur that there seems to be more padding/it doesn't hurt as much to type.

snap0212

I recently got my first Mac for work. It's the newest model MacBook Pro with the TouchBar and I'm having a really hard time getting my external display to work properly. It's a 24 inch HP ER Display and the fonts look all washed out and everything is just not as sharp as I hoped it would be.

I read online that this can happen when the Mac thinks the connected display is a TV or something and it was suggested to run a script that replaces some files in the Displays/Overrides folder. I did that, but aside from the fact that 1920x1080 now shows up in the resolutions list instead of just 1080p, nothing changed. The display works fine on Windows and Linux machines, but not with my new Mac.

Has anyone had the same issue? I've googled, but aside from running that script, I didn't find anything that could help me.

bionic77

Another question: How much space does the OS take up on a new MBP? Trying to figure out if I can get away with a 128GB HD.
It's not enough for media but it is enough for the OS and some apps.

256 is the real minimum IMO.

128 was not enough for my Air in 2012....

Thinking about getting the MBP, quick question. I can upgrade the ram myself and is it better to buy a MBP now or wait and see if there's a chance the MBP will be on sale over Black Friday?

Deku Tree

Thinking about getting the MBP, quick question. I can upgrade the ram myself and is it better to buy a MBP now or wait and see if there's a chance the MBP will be on sale over Black Friday?

You can’t upgrade the ram on the new MBP. Apple has been Soldering ram to the MB on their laptops for years. There is always the chance of a sale but it will be like $100 at most. About the same as an education discount.

You can't upgrade the ram on the new MBP. Apple has been Soldering ram to the MB on their laptops for years. There is always the chance of a sale but it will be like $100 at most. About the same as an education discount.
Welp thanks for the info Deku. I figured I might as well ask and glad I did. Since I was under the impression you can change out the ram. Hmm.

Sanic

I'm looking to sell my mid-2012 MacBook Air (base model). Both Apple's recycling program and Gazelle are offering just south of $200 for it, which feels a bit low. It is likely I can get substantially more for this by going down another route? Any other sites (outside of the obvious like eBay) that you'd recommend?

Navi

Just purchase a new like Macbook Air (2013) from a friend.
First Macbook. Anything I should know? I am Windows user
but the speed on this computer outbeats my PC lol

Vuze

My used 12" MacBook just came in and wow, that thing is beautiful! So slim, light and compact. Only 15 battery cycles too. Now to reset the OS and get things up and running 😳

Just purchase a new like Macbook Air (2013) from a friend.
First Macbook. Anything I should know? I am Windows user
but the speed on this computer outbeats my PC lol

If those free Office-like applications are still available, grab them. Learn the Apple shortcuts and get used to a way better Terminal.

I use OSX, Linux, and Windows and I think Windows is a distant third. It is heavily supported over the other two but I find it less intuitive.

The transition to OSX might be kind of jarring but it's great once you get used to it.

It's really tough for me to even think of buying another computer that isn't a Mac. That sounds pretentious but it's what I have come to expect out of a computer.

Fuchsdh

I'm looking to sell my mid-2012 MacBook Air (base model). Both Apple's recycling program and Gazelle are offering just south of $200 for it, which feels a bit low. It is likely I can get substantially more for this by going down another route? Any other sites (outside of the obvious like eBay) that you'd recommend?

Craigslist. Basically you go from highest-possible price to lowest from Craigslist, eBay, Apple resellers, recycling programs, with correspondingly less risk of getting jumped, killed, someone running off with your merch, or scamming you via PayPal as you go. That's the tradeoff.

Vuze

Does macOS usually take north of 2 hours to factory restore?
I've wiped the disk, went into the online recovery (it downloaded what I presume is the original version of macOS that the thing shipped with) and then chose to install a new copy of OS X as described in the Apple documentation but it's taking ages.

E: I think it's just downloading the image as it goes since the time jumped up a lot when I started downloading sth on my PC. Oh well. Two hours would just fit with my connection for a ~5-6GB download.

Deku Tree

Does macOS usually take north of 2 hours to factory restore?
I've wiped the disk, went into the online recovery (it downloaded what I presume is the original version of macOS that the thing shipped with) and then chose to install a new copy of OS X as described in the Apple documentation but it's taking ages.

E: I think it's just downloading the image as it goes since the time jumped up a lot when I started downloading sth on my PC. Oh well. Two hours would just fit with my connection for a ~5-6GB download.

Yes it can take a while for reasons. If you have an old Mac with a HDD then that will take longer. Sometimes it gives at two hour estimate and then takes only one hour.

Vuze

Yes it can take a while for reasons. If you have an old Mac with a HDD then that will take longer. Sometimes it gives at two hour estimate and then takes only one hour.
Yeah, I found the log option of the installer and see it downloading the file chunks, so far so good :)

Let me know if you have any advice for USB-C hubs btw. Seems like there is a lot of crap on the market (even among the higher rated ones in my local Amazon; WiFi interference etc) and Apple's adapters are spectacularly overpriced. I'd need charge passthrough, HDMI, atleast 1x USB-A.

I'll probably just snipe for a "cheap" Apple one, these seem to work without breaking any wireless features at the very least.

Deku Tree

Yeah, I found the log option of the installer and see it downloading the file chunks, so far so good :)

Let me know if you have any advice for USB-C hubs btw. Seems like there is a lot of crap on the market. I'd need charge passthrough, HDMI, atleast 1x USB-A.

I would just buy one off Amazon that has good reviews that say it works with Mac.

Let me know if you have any advice for USB-C hubs btw. Seems like there is a lot of crap on the market (even among the higher rated ones in my local Amazon; WiFi interference etc) and Apple's adapters are spectacularly overpriced. I'd need charge passthrough, HDMI, atleast 1x USB-A.

I'll probably just snipe for a "cheap" Apple one, these seem to work without breaking any wireless features at the very least.

I was going to recommend the one I have (Aukey CB-C23) but it looks like it’s not on the US amazon store anymore, though it is on the UK, Spain, and Japanese store. Weird.

Vuze

This force touch trackpad is amazing. Even more impressive when you consider it doesn't really click after all. Haven't had any issues with the keyboard either, it provides just enough feedback for me to know whether or not I hit a key. Integration with iOS is just as nice as I expected, everything just carried over hassle-free. Downloading the update to Sierra right now, can't wait to check out the Watch unlock feature :D

They need to make their 2FA stuff clearer though. It took a while until I figured out I had to use the verification code and ADD it right after my password inside the password field (for Messages, Appstore, Mail etc).

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Welp thanks for the info Deku. I figured I might as well ask and glad I did. Since I was under the impression you can change out the ram. Hmm.
That's because in the 2012 and earlier non-Retina MBP you can.

Vuze

I don't use tabs, I just have a million windows open and I use the swipe up and down gesture to look at all of them at once.

But damn Gruber just went off on Safari's lack of Favicons support.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/08/s...ns_in_its_tabs

I agree with Gruber. No reason for Safari to not support Favicons. Dumb.
Maybe I've been browsing wrong all these years but I couldn't care less about favicons during regular use. But sure, Safari certainly should switch to favicons once space gets scarce (I mean, it does it for pinned tabs already so...).

That being said, after having used macOS extensively for a few days, I really enjoy it. Major gripes: Mail.app's lack of a time bracket limiter for loading emails (worked around that by limiting IMAP on my 50k gmail) and the inconsistent Watch unlock feature. Seems it only works when Watch/Phone are on the same network as the Mac, I expected it to be Bluetooth only. Watch lacks 5GHz support and phone is sometimes stuck in 2,4GHz as I move through the house, meanwhile the MacBook is always on 5GHz. Well, when it works, it's cool. And it shouldn't be a problem in university since MacBook + phone are always with me.

(BetterTouchTool is amazing btw 😍 Also integrated SSH and FTP in Terminal caught me off guard, that's pretty dope)

EmiPrime

I don't use tabs, I just have a million windows open and I use the swipe up and down gesture to look at all of them at once.

But damn Gruber just went off on Safari's lack of Favicons support.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/08/safari_should_display_favicons_in_its_tabs

I agree with Gruber. No reason for Safari to not support Favicons. Dumb.

I wish influential people would kick up a stink about this a lot more. I have switched to Safari for most use because I bought an iPad and an iPhone a few months ago to replace my Android devices but the favicons thing is infuriating especially when I am researching something and have 20+ tabs open.

That being said, after having used macOS extensively for a few days, I really enjoy it. Major gripes: Mail.app's lack of a time bracket limiter for loading emails (worked around that by limiting IMAP on my 50k gmail)

I haven't tried mail.app in forever, but doesn't Gmail have a pretty good standalone app to use?

RoKKeR

Quick question - just got a 4k monitor and am wondering how to hook my MBPr (last gen) up to it for 4k at 60hz. I saw on the owner's guide to the monitor that HDMI only supports 30hz, and Display port supports 60hz. Can I get a mini Display port to normal display port to do the trick? Have never used an external monitor before so just a bit unsure of how it works. Thanks.

Deku Tree

Quick question - just got a 4k monitor and am wondering how to hook my MBPr (last gen) up to it for 4k at 60hz. I saw on the owner's guide to the monitor that HDMI only supports 30hz, and Display port supports 60hz. Can I get a mini Display port to normal display port to do the trick? Have never used an external monitor before so just a bit unsure of how it works. Thanks.

Mini display port to display port cable at monoprice.

j-wood

I'm thinking about getting my first macbook, and I need some advice.

I want to get into/back into coding, and I've heard doing it on a mac is kinda the preferred way nowadays. I'll be working in a multiple languages, including .net stuff. So it won't just be iOS stuff.

So, would I want the macbook or the macbook pro? Would I get that much difference? My budget is around 1,100, so I didn't want to shell out close to 2k for the pro with plenty of storage and whatnot.

The only concern about getting the macbook is the 12inch screen, so I do have the new ipad pro and it's not THAT much bigger than that.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I want to get into/back into coding, and I've heard doing it on a mac is kinda the preferred way nowadays. I'll be working in a multiple languages, including .net stuff. So it won't just be iOS stuff.

So, would I want the macbook or the macbook pro? Would I get that much difference? My budget is around 1,100, so I didn't want to shell out close to 2k for the pro with plenty of storage and whatnot.

The only concern about getting the macbook is the 12inch screen, so I do have the new ipad pro and it's not THAT much bigger than that.
Pro. Definitely the Pro. We've had this discussion. The low end Pro is still the same price as the MacBook. Get the Pro.

Basically you'll want to skip that bottom end MacBook anyway. Even if you went MacBook you'd want the next one up, which is $1600. You're gonna want to splurge and get the bottom line TouchBar model unless you really don't want a TouchBar. (Just use BTT to customize it if you need to.) Remember that the non-TouchBar models are a little less powerful, but both can be made i7 for more. 15" is Dual-Core only though so keep that in mind if it matters. Also, the non-TB models only have two USB-C ports on the left and nothing (Except a headphone jack) on the right like the TB models have.

But in the end, if you're not going to budge much from your budget, at least get the entry level Pro. At that price point, the only benefits the MacBook One has going for it is that it's smaller (Screen is way to small for me and you'll want as much as you can get as a programmer) and a pound lighter. Get the Pro, at least you'll have a second USB-C port so you're not worrying about charging and having a HDD connected. Though really, you should be looking into a hub anyway for when you're at a desk.

Also, if you wanted to you could check out the refurbished models and save a little more.

j-wood

Pro. Definitely the Pro. We've had this discussion. The low end Pro is still the same price as the MacBook. Get the Pro.

Basically you'll want to skip that bottom end MacBook anyway. Even if you went MacBook you'd want the next one up, which is $1600. You're gonna want to splurge and get the bottom line TouchBar model unless you really don't want a TouchBar. (Just use BTT to customize it if you need to.) Remember that the non-TouchBar models are a little less powerful, but both can be made i7 for more. 15" is Dual-Core only though so keep that in mind if it matters. Also, the non-TB models only have two USB-C ports on the left and nothing (Except a headphone jack) on the right like the TB models have.

But in the end, if you're not going to budge much from your budget, at least get the entry level Pro. At that price point, the only benefits the MacBook One has going for it is that it's smaller (Screen is way to small for me and you'll want as much as you can get as a programmer) and a pound lighter. Get the Pro, at least you'll have a second USB-C port so you're not worrying about charging and having a HDD connected. Though really, you should be looking into a hub anyway for when you're at a desk.

Also, if you wanted to you could check out the refurbished models and save a little more.

I'm thinking of skipping the touch bar and getting this one:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...test-model-space-gray/5721740.p?skuId=5721740

Vuze

Yeah, I love my rMB but I wouldn't recommend it for development. Screen is too small for large development projects / IDEs. Unless you plan to use it as companion device on the go (it's absolutely fantastic as such) and only do heavy dev work at home in clamshell mode or sth. But even then you will appreciate the extra power of the Pro for compiling etc

Top Bottom