• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask.

So I almost lost my families 140GB photos library because the external drive got corrupted.
Now I am looking to move to the cloud.

That said because I am fully vested in the apple eco system I am considering getting a TB of iCloud storage.
Can I share the iCloud photos library with my wife who I do family sharing with? I.e. we both sync with the same library?
We have been using one photos library for both our accounts to use centrally for a while now and I would not want to go back to having two distinct libraries as this is a waste of space and everyones time.
What other options do I have?

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask.

So I almost lost my families 140GB photos library because the external drive got corrupted.
Now I am looking to move to the cloud.

That said because I am fully vested in the apple eco system I am considering getting a TB of iCloud storage.
Can I share the iCloud photos library with my wife who I do family sharing with? I.e. we both sync with the same library?
We have been using one photos library for both our accounts to use centrally for a while now and I would not want to go back to having two distinct libraries as this is a waste of space and everyones time.
What other options do I have?

iCloud Photo Library at the moment is locked to one account. The only sharing is making a specific cloud album and putting photos into it. But that will reduce the quality and isn’t really a solution as much as a hack

Google Photos has shared albums between accounts now but I don’t use google photos so I can’t speak to it firsthand

It's possible it's not switching graphics, but "native res" on the MacBook Pro is 2880 x 1800. Chances are a midrange laptop GPU isn't going to give you good frame rates at >1440p in any game.

Yeah--and I didn't buy the computer for gaming of course but I watched video reviews in which people were playing Overwatch, a much newer game, at native res with acceptable results so I was a bit surprised at how badly mine handled L4D2.

Is it just my imagination or is Apple full of repairs and struggling to keep up?

So my MacBook Pro has died (no more backlight or lit Apple logo, but screen is on) it's a year old. Shouldn't happen but has.

I go to the Apple Store as that's the only(?) route to warranty repair and they basically say sorry all slots are full best bet is book online so go online and literally there are no appointments for the entire horizon of days available in every Apple Store that isn't inconveniently far. They are all filled presumably for the purpose of Apple repair most completely, others a week out. (This is Sydney btw)

This is getting tiresome I have now had two iMacs break inside 2 years, an iPhone 6 break just over a year, and now my just over a year old MacBook Pro. None were mistreated.

Is there a way to convince them to send me a box for sending in the MacBook for repair?

Did you schedule an appointment before going in?

It's probably just your store. Where are you located?
No I just turned up at lunch. Guy with the iPad said sorry can't allocate me a slot today but was handing out slots to other people for other things not involving hardware failures.
But then went online to see, and it's a bunch of them. Around Sydney.
Driving 45 minutes return for an appointment next week isn't my idea of good service. The city ones are just plain full no options at all. Note that I just want them to take it and repair it over a week or so, not try and fail to diagnose while I watch.

This is after entering in the booking system that I have a hardware issue with a mac, it seems that falls into a special category.

No I just turned up at lunch. Guy with the iPad said sorry can't allocate me a slot today but was handing out slots to other people for other things not involving hardware failures.
Driving 45 minutes return for an appointment next week isn't my idea of good service. The city ones are just plain full no options at all. Note that I just want them to take it and repair it over a week or so, not try and fail to diagnose while I watch.

This is after entering in the booking system that I have a hardware issue with a mac, it seems that falls into a special category.

Unfortunately they can’t just bump other people who also have issues with their device. I know demand is high and I know it’s frustrating but everyone is in the same boat trying to get their stuff fixed. It’s not a good boat, but I wouldn’t call having high demand isn’t not good service.

If Australia is anything like the US there is an option to mail it in for repair, was that not presented on the website?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

The long drive is the same reason I still haven't taken mine in. I'd hate to go down, then have to go down again when I don't know what my schedule will be like when it is finished and ready to be picked up. If I knew I could get it repaired same day and I could just wait down there for it I'd be happier. But I don't even know if I'll go through with the repair if it'll cost too much so I don't want to have to drive down to drop it off, have them take forever to look at it, then have to drive back down a few days later only to pick it up unfixed because the estimation was too high.

I hate that all my Apple Stores are an hour away in either direction.

Unfortunately they can’t just bump other people who also have issues with their device. I know demand is high and I know it’s frustrating but everyone is in the same boat trying to get their stuff fixed. It’s not a good boat, but I wouldn’t call having high demand isn’t not good service.

If Australia is anything like the US there is an option to mail it in for repair, was that not presented on the website?

No mail in repair option presented although I could try chat

However I am now double screwed as I realise i bought this from Apple USA and they don't honor the warranty outside usa "bought internationally" and it's 1.5 years old.

From what I can determine online to repair a backlight failed at a non Apple local place it's a logic board replacement! And that's 900 bucks which is barely less than the value used, on eBay. There are places in USA that might try to desolder and debug the board but shipping it back and forth is too expensive.

So I spent 2500 usd on a MacBook Pro that has lasted 18 months - and is now nearly worthless. Just from opening and shutting the screen or from a latent manufacturing flaw.

No mail in repair option presented although I could try chat

However I am now double screwed as I realise i bought this from Apple USA and they don't honor the warranty outside usa "bought internationally" and it's 1.5 years old.

From what I can determine online to repair a backlight failed at a non Apple local place it's a logic board replacement! And that's 900 bucks which is barely less than the value used, on eBay. There are places in USA that might try to desolder and debug the board but shipping it back and forth is too expensive.

So I spent 2500 usd on a MacBook Pro that has lasted 18 months - and is now nearly worthless. Just from opening and shutting the screen or from a latent manufacturing flaw.

Why would a backlight failure be a logic board replacement and not an LCD replacement?

Why would a backlight failure be a logic board replacement and not an LCD replacement?
I am going by topics in the repair communities
It seems the most common issue is something wrong on the logic board as that supplies the backlight voltage.
Eg google 820-4924 backlight and it's all logic board debugging.
I can't find any evidence that the backlight itself fails suddenly, it is seems damaged cables from Hinge use causing logIc board issues, board corrosion or liquid damage.
In my case there is no liquid spill. So I guess something failed.
Guess I will take it in for a no obligation quote. Expect the worst hope for the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=102&v=DTLC34HqkKA
"90% of the time the problem is nothing to do with the led driver".

Soooo, I spilled half a cup of iced tea on my macbook air and is not charging properly. I immediately turned it over and dried it a towel and started blowing air with a blow drier. I turned it onreal quick and there doesn't seem to be any sort of crazy errors on the screen but if i plug it in the battery charge light doesn't turn on the magsafe connector. Anyone ever run into this kind of problem before? I feel so naked without my macbook air. Thinking of heading to frys and buying a pentalobe screw driver and cleaning it out but got a feeling something shorted in the battery section. I am relegated to using desktop[ windows 10. Gah I need a proper terminal not some windows mockery.

ruxtpin

Banned
I've searched for responses on review sites, but I was wondering what gaf's thoughts are on the MBP 13" vs 15" for development (app development, perhaps mobile game development, back-end web development, all kinds of stuff). I feel like the 15" would be a better fit due to the extra screen space, but noted some reviews complained about it's high heat output. And wasn't sure if the hardware in a maxed out MP 13" would be enough to handle all the above?

Anyone with thoughts to share? Heat, portability, etc.

I've searched for responses on review sites, but I was wondering what gaf's thoughts are on the MBP 13" vs 15" for development (app development, perhaps mobile game development, back-end web development, all kinds of stuff). I feel like the 15" would be a better fit due to the extra screen space, but noted some reviews complained about it's high heat output. And wasn't sure if the hardware in a maxed out MP 13" would be enough to handle all the above?

Shit you could most of that on a MBA tbh. Backend development, mobile development aren't intensive in any real way, I do both on a 13" at home and work and I'm talking codebases in the 10s of thousands of lines. I don't do much mobile gaming but a 13 isn't going to have issues there either.

15 would give you more screen real estate but it's not really going to confer you any crazy benefits hardware to output performance wise.

You might save a second or two on git pushes I guess.

ruxtpin

Banned
Hmm. I guess it's down to the screen real estate then. I'm moving in with the g/f and space is at a premium. I won't really have the option to put up an auxiliary monitor.

I do backend web dev on an 11" MacBook Air by times, in vim in the terminal. I also do the same work on a 27" monitor on a Mac Pro and a 13" MacBook Pro (non-retina) with a 23" monitor and have also used a 15" Retina before.

There is no useful difference between the laptop screen sizes (except when running the 15" in tiny-text mode)— the screen isn't big enough to work the way I work with the desktop monitors, and instead I use a combination of a mostly empty space with a translucent terminal or two and a browser and Sequel Pro, or just fullscreen the terminal window if I don't need reference.

If at all possible I would try them out in a store and see how awful the smallest to largest options are for the work you do.

For code compilation, I think (but am not an expert) that you could measure the difference with Geekbench multithreaded results, and the 15" is going to fucking smoke every other Apple laptop, but lose to older desktop iMacs/Hackintoshes.

ruxtpin

Banned
Yeah, I went to BB last night and looked at them again. Love the screen size on the 15", but loses a lot of the "toss in your bag" factor. 13" still nice, I'd just likely be switching between windows a lot. With my old setup, I'd have my auxiliary displaying several things next to each other so I wouldn't have to toggle between. Figured the 15" would allow for a similar setup.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

The main difference is that the 13'' are dual-core while the 15'' are quad-core.
If you need to run VM(s) or local servers in your machine, or compile a lot of code, get the 15'' because the difference will be substantial.

Two Words

Any good USB C magnetic cables for the new Macbook Pro? I ordered the Snapnator, but it sounds like that might have been a scam or I shouldn't expect to get it any time soon. Griffin's cable option is apparently too weak and only charges at 60W.

bnx

Been using my 2017 MBP for over a week now and I'm loving it. Just hoping it doesn't end up like my Early 2011 MBP that fucked itself up due to that graphics card issue. Got 4 years out of that MBP.

Only problem I encountered so far was using the Migration Assistant. I went through the steps to transfer my data from the SSD I was using on the 2011 MBP to the internal SSD inside the 2017 pro. At some point it asked if I wanted to continue on with the transfer. I ultimately decided against doing it for the moment and tried to cancel. For whatever reason it wouldn't let me select cancel, only continue. Hit continue and immediately hit cancel the moment it started moving data or whatever. As a result... I was unable to log into my computer. Had to format the internal SSD and reinstall Sierra. As it turns out I was a 'deleted user' upon investigation of the 'Users' folder.

Other than that, amazing laptop!

Kovacs

My first new Mac in nearly 6 years arrived yesterday to replace my ageing 2010 3.33Ghz 6 core Mac Pro with GTX680.

a5DtBrn.jpg

I went for the 27" iMac with Radeon Pro 580 and the i7 4.2Ghz. Also bought an additional 8GB RAM from Crucial as I wasn't paying Apple prices. Its the most expensive computer I've ever bought but if it lasts as long as and well as my Pro it'll prove good value for money.

Biggest drawback from going from a Pro to an iMac is the lack of storage expandability. So I picked up 2nd hand IcyCube 4 bay USB3.0 SATA enclosure which works nicely and should keep me going until the USB-C enclosures drop to a more reasonable price.

Benchmarks show it so be a pretty significant upgrade on the graphics side.Haven't seen it in the 'real world' yet as still getting everything fully installed, updated and configured.

I've also not had chance to try out gaming on the Windows side as the old Pro was limited to Windows 8 as the newest Windows OS so I don't have a Windows 10 key.

I'm keeping the Pro to act as a media server for the house but it does mean that I can use my 1440p monitor with the new iMac. Dual 27"screens is massive on the desk!

It's also great being able to use some of the features I'd been locked out of due to the age of my old systems, such as Handoff and airplay streaming.

Furyous

All of that works on a late 2013 rMBP 13. Haven't tried VR development but conceptualized it and the early returns are I need more power both ram and GPU.

----------

Apparently it's not a good idea to use up most of your storage as it corrupts your disk. I learned this the hard way while my battery failed. Couldn't boot up, took it into a shop, and $330 later my notebook works fine. You can't upgrade the SSD in this device... *tears up*

Croc

Banned
How long after a revision launches does Apple start putting refurbished stuff on their site? Thinking about buying a refurbished MBP.

I am cautious that they'll put up the 2017 stuff soon and it'd lower prices of 2016 a bit more. Idk how exactly they do stuff and just wanna know as much as possible before buying.

How long after a revision launches does Apple start putting refurbished stuff on their site? Thinking about buying a refurbished MBP.

I am cautious that they'll put up the 2017 stuff soon and it'd lower prices of 2016 a bit more. Idk how exactly they do stuff and just wanna know as much as possible before buying.

Usually around 3-6 months, but it totally depends on the stock they have to refurbush

Looks like the 2016 nTB Pro hit the refurb store in early March, or around 4 months after release. It took longer for the TB models to hit

Croc

Banned
Usually around 3-6 months, but it totally depends on the stock they have to refurbush

Looks like the 2016 nTB Pro hit the refurb store in early March, or around 4 months after release. It took longer for the TB models to hit

hmmm okay. I think I'm wanting to buy before then so I guess I can go ahead and do it soon. Thanks!

Question for you folks:

Can anyone recommend software to transfer my music from my iPhone to my Mac?

Alot of the stuff is old from when I used to rip CDs and use Napster (I think...) and my ex downloaded a bunch of music on my old laptop that I have on there as well.

I've been afraid to sync it for like two years to my laptop because I remember the sync process trying to delete a bunch of stuff.

If I remember correctly from the last time I did this like 7 years ago there were programs out there that could get the stuff from my iphone into my iTunes and effectively "trick" the software, but I don't want to download any adware or anything.

Any recommendations?

Futureman

There's something really weird with my login and I've never had this issue before.

About a week ago in System Preferences, I went into "Users & Groups" and changed the login password for the only account on my Mac (the Admin account).

I changed the password and forgot about it as I never log out and the only time I enter the password is when I have to shutdown or restart. Fast forward a week later and I get to work and opened my MBP and it had restarted for whatever reason.

So I'm at the login screen and I enter my OLD password. Just as I hit enter I remember "Oh wait I changed the password..." but it didn't matter. The OLD password logged me in.

but then after it logged in, it went to this screen:

bXACnboh.jpg

A log in screen where I have to type in a name and password. I've never seen this before on my Mac (or any Mac since I've been using Macs since 2004). Whenever I log in, it's always been my admin name already displayed and I just type in my password.

after some experimentation, I used my admin name for the "name" field and I used the NEW password that I changed in system preferences.

So now, whenever I have to log into my Mac, for some reason I have to type in my OLD password, I am then taken to a screen where I need to type in my admin name and then enter the NEW password.

sorry this is so long but I'm perplexed why this is happening. I've definitely changed the password on my admin account before and this did not happen.

any thoughts? Did something get changed in a recent system update that is causing this??

Futureman

ok seeing a few things...

Under "Login Options" there's an option for

"Display login window as:
-List of users
-Name and password"

I guess this somehow got changed to "Name and password" though it certainly wasn't me.

Also, "Automatic login" is set to "Off" and I can set it to on. How do I just turn "Automatic login" on?

EDIT: I may be answering my own questions here... so I guess you can't use "Automatic login" if your Mac is associated with an iCloud account. Mine IS I guess... though I don't use iCloud at all. I guess I'll just disable iCloud unless there's some reason not to that I'm not thinking of?

EDIT 2: hmmm I guess I can't do auto login because FileVault is turned on. Guess I'll just leave it on and live with the inconvenience of logging in.

thanks Popstar! I saw your response before you edited.

Question for you folks:

Can anyone recommend software to transfer my music from my iPhone to my Mac?

Alot of the stuff is old from when I used to rip CDs and use Napster (I think...) and my ex downloaded a bunch of music on my old laptop that I have on there as well.

I've been afraid to sync it for like two years to my laptop because I remember the sync process trying to delete a bunch of stuff.

If I remember correctly from the last time I did this like 7 years ago there were programs out there that could get the stuff from my iphone into my iTunes and effectively "trick" the software, but I don't want to download any adware or anything.

Any recommendations?

Nothing on this?

bnx

Nothing on this?

Had a similar issue long ago.

I used 'DiskAid' (now called iMazing 2). That allowed me to copy my music from my iPod touch to my Mac without losing anything on the Mac. No idea if iMazing comes with adware or if the free version will even allow you to copy anything. 'DiskAid' worked for me in the past and it didn't have adware iirc.

Or you can try the others on this list. Again, dunno about adware or any other potential issues.

Franziska

So Im overseas right now and my MBP (Early 2015) died. Won't turn on, only response is the magsafe colour changing when I reset PRAM.

I took it into the apple store and they quoted an amount close to AU$900 to replace the logic board.

Is this what I can expect to pay back home?

Also is there any way I can transfer my data to a Linux/Windows laptop should I choose to ditch apple? (either the internal ssd or time machine backups)?

Guess Who

Banned
So I just had service done on my 2016 15" Pro for a blown speaker issue. The way they fixed it is by basically replacing the entire top case - which includes the keyboard assembly. Fun fact, they seem to have replaced it with a 2017 top case. I can tell because the option and control keys have the shortcut symbols printed on them, like the 2017 model and unlike the 2016. The keyboard is also very noticeably quieter (though still louder than the pre-Touch Bar Pros) and less... harsh to type on? There's not literally more travel, but it feels almost like there's a slight padding under the keys now that makes it much more comfortable to type on.

So, hey, got a free keyboard upgrade out of my speaker repair!

Fuchsdh

So I just had service done on my 2016 15" Pro for a blown speaker issue. The way they fixed it is by basically replacing the entire top case - which includes the keyboard assembly. Fun fact, they seem to have replaced it with a 2017 top case. I can tell because the option and control keys have the shortcut symbols printed on them, like the 2017 model and unlike the 2016. The keyboard is also very noticeably quieter (though still louder than the pre-Touch Bar Pros) and less... harsh to type on? There's not literally more travel, but it feels almost like there's a slight padding under the keys now that makes it much more comfortable to type on.

Makes sense. People have been complaining about keyboard issues on the 2016 Pros and how difficult it is to repair. Apple simply swapping the top seems like it solves two birds with one stone.

I have the exact same issue on my 2016 15" Pro. Right speaker is blown. The 7 key on the keyboard is also faulty. This is good to hear.

Edit: How long did your repair take? It's the only reason why I haven't gotten mine repaired so far.

Guess Who

Banned
I have the exact same issue on my 2016 15" Pro. Right speaker is blown. The 7 key on the keyboard is also faulty. This is good to hear.

Edit: How long did your repair take? It's the only reason why I haven't gotten mine repaired so far.

It was stupid fast for a mail-in repair. Shipped it in at 4:30 p.m. Thursday and got it back 10:30 a.m. Saturday. Almost couldn’t believe it. All my data was intact too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I finally bit the bullet and made my appointment with the Apple Store for Monday. I really hope they can at least give me an estimate before I commit because if it’s too much I’m going to pass and put the money towards a new machine a few months from now. I also hope it can be finished by Thursday or Friday because I’m leaving on vacation Friday night. I’d rather not go without a computer. And I’m not lugging my iMac with me.

Anyone know if it matters that I’m on the Sierra Public Beta? (Not High Sierra)

I finally bit the bullet and made my appointment with the Apple Store for Monday. I really hope they can at least give me an estimate before I commit because if it’s too much I’m going to pass and put the money towards a new machine a few months from now. I also hope it can be finished by Thursday or Friday because I’m leaving on vacation Friday night. I’d rather not go without a computer. And I’m not lugging my iMac with me.

Anyone know if it matters that I’m on the Sierra Public Beta? (Not High Sierra)

In my experience they will investigate right there, quote you a repair price (typically repair = replacing something) and you can walk out if you choose. They can just leave a note on your file if you change your mind.

I don't think the OS version matters so long as they can access diagnostic tools. Unless it's something where changing the OS might have an impact...

Diagnostics tools can be impacted by being on a beta and some won’t even run at all. This is a problem moreso on iOS where even a screen can’t be replaced because the calibration machine will brick the phone since the machine hasn’t been updated to recognize the new operating system yet

You might run into some diagnostic troubles being on High Sierra but I can’t speak either way. Just be honest with the tech

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well it looks like the OS version won't matter anyway because 10.12.6 proper is available so I can update to that before I take it over and it won't be on a beta anymore. I haven't put High Sierra back on it yet. So I'm still on Sierra.

Since it's a 2013 MBP, do we think it'll have to be shipped out? Or is there a chance they have the parts right there?

Well it looks like the OS version won't matter anyway because 10.12.6 proper is available so I can update to that before I take it over and it won't be on a beta anymore. I haven't put High Sierra back on it yet. So I'm still on Sierra.

Since it's a 2013 MBP, do we think it'll have to be shipped out? Or is there a chance they have the parts right there?

I can give you a good idea, what’s going on with it again?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I can give you a good idea, what’s going on with it again?
Battery is swelling causing the keyboard to malfunction and trackpad to not click easily anymore thus giving me a blister on my thumb because I have to use all my strength just to drag and drop a file. Also the right side USB port is not tight enough (So drives become unmounted at the slightest touch), the rubber around the screen is hardened and breaking off, two of the four feet already fell off before a year was up and occasionally it doesn't shutdown when I shutdown or reboot or update... There's probably more.

So what's the estimated cost for that?

J/K. All I really care is that the battery is replaced if it needs to be and that the keyboard and trackpad work properly again so I don't have to keep a BlueTooth keyboard sitting on top of it at all times. I don't know if that'll require replacing the whole topcase or if they'll replace each part. Or if simply replacing the battery suddenly makes the keyboard and trackpad work properly again. (Somehow I don't think the keyboard will work again. From how it is malfunctioning I think some of the circuitry is bad.) Either way I don't want to leave the store paying a cent if it's still broken. If it's gonna cost too much I just won't get it fixed. (Take that money and use it to buy a new one in a few months. Probably around November when it's 4 years old.)

Battery is swelling causing the keyboard to malfunction and trackpad to not click easily anymore thus giving me a blister on my thumb because I have to use all my strength just to drag and drop a file. Also the right side USB port is not tight enough (So drives become unmounted at the slightest touch), the rubber around the screen is hardened and breaking off, two of the four feet already fell off before a year was up and occasionally it doesn't shutdown when I shutdown or reboot or update... There's probably more.

So what's the estimated cost for that?

J/K. All I really care is that the battery is replaced if it needs to be and that the keyboard and trackpad work properly again so I don't have to keep a BlueTooth keyboard sitting on top of it at all times. I don't know if that'll require replacing the whole topcase or if they'll replace each part. Or if simply replacing the battery suddenly makes the keyboard and trackpad work properly again. (Somehow I don't think the keyboard will work again. From how it is malfunctioning I think some of the circuitry is bad.) Either way I don't want to leave the store paying a cent if it's still broken. If it's gonna cost too much I just won't get it fixed. (Take that money and use it to buy a new one in a few months. Probably around November when it's 4 years old.)

That’s a good amount of stuff. They’ll probably offer to send it to a repair facility where they run some more advanced diagnostics and testing and replace anything that needs replacing for a flat fee. Would probably wind up being the top case, trackpad, and possibly logic board. Is it a 13” or 15”?

Of course you don’t have to do that, you could have them itemize it and repair in store. If you just want the top case (which is the battery+keyboard fixed) plus probably the trackpad you can, but depending on the extent of the damage you could be getting close to that flat fee anyway.

Obviously without seeing it in person and running any of the tests I’m trying to stay away from hard numbers, but it’ll be anywhere between $200-$600 depending on the extent of what needs to be repaired and what you end up doing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That’s a good amount of stuff. They’ll probably offer to send it to a repair facility where they run some more advanced diagnostics and testing and replace anything that needs replacing for a flat fee. Would probably wind up being the top case, trackpad, and possibly logic board. Is it a 13” or 15”?

Of course you don’t have to do that, you could have them itemize it and repair in store. If you just want the top case (which is the battery+keyboard fixed) plus probably the trackpad you can, but depending on the extent of the damage you could be getting close to that flat fee anyway.

Obviously without seeing it in person and running any of the tests I’m trying to stay away from hard numbers, but it’ll be anywhere between $200-$600 depending on the extent of what needs to be repaired and what you end up doing.
Late 2013 15". The last models before they changed the keyboard and trackpad style to the first generation butterfly and the Force-Touchpad.

I decided that my limit is around $500. If it's $600 that will be fine enough. I just don't want it going up to $1000. At that point I'd just keep it and put that towards a new machine.

If it's going to take longer than a few days, I'll have to postpone the repair until after I return from vacation. I can't go without it for a week. If it got shipped out today, it could be back by Friday afternoon right?

Maybe the trackpad will repair itself once the battery is fixed. However, is there even battery under it? I always thought the battery surrounded it. But I guess I am wrong looking at iFixit. The battery clearly goes under the trackpad as well. If I can get by with just the battery and keyboard being replaced I'll consider myself lucky.

My appointment is in about an hour and a half.

Edit: I’m here. They’re in the process of figuring out the process and turnaround.

Late 2013 15". The last models before they changed the keyboard and trackpad style to the first generation butterfly and the Force-Touchpad.

I decided that my limit is around $500. If it's $600 that will be fine enough. I just don't want it going up to $1000. At that point I'd just keep it and put that towards a new machine.

If it's going to take longer than a few days, I'll have to postpone the repair until after I return from vacation. I can't go without it for a week. If it got shipped out today, it could be back by Friday afternoon right?

Maybe the trackpad will repair itself once the battery is fixed. However, is there even battery under it? I always thought the battery surrounded it. But I guess I am wrong looking at iFixit. The battery clearly goes under the trackpad as well. If I can get by with just the battery and keyboard being replaced I'll consider myself lucky.

My appointment is in about an hour and a half.

Edit: I’m here. They’re in the process of figuring out the process and turnaround.

Shipping turn around is typically 3-5 days. In-store repairs could be longer depending on how much stuff is checked in

Top Bottom