• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian Entertainment working on a high profile, stylized 2D RPG (with Flash)

Draft

lol, wtf. A 2D RPG from a major dev being released on consoles, and it's being built in Flash? Ugly, stupid Flash? Rotten.

Aeana said:
Clearly, this is a sequel to Chrono Trigger.
The first
alas completely unrealistic
thought that crossed my mind.

EDIT: Though an article linked here reminded me that they were also heavily interested in doing an Icewind Dale 3. OOOooooh man the thought of another Infinity Engine-esque CRPG makes me foam at the mouth. This is good news, whatever it is
oh god i've jinxed it haven't i

butsomuch

New Chris Avellone interview
WillOoi: Hi Chris, thanks very much for taking time out to participate in this interview. You're quite the hero to many RPG fans out there and your willingness to answer questions is well documented and much appreciated. So what are you up to at the moment?

Chris Avellone: Still working hard here at Obsidian, wrapping up the last bits of Fallout New Vegas DLC, Lonesome Road. We had the last narrative tasks and voice-acting session last week (Ed: end of May), it went well, and now it's a matter of doing more run-throughs of DLC4 to get a feel for the pacing and polish what we can. It's been a long road from New Vegas to the end of the DLCs, and now when I go home, I'm not sure what to do with myself - on NV and the DLCs, it was easy, I just didn't go home.

As for what's next, we still have a number of titles in development, so I've been playing those builds, going to design meetings, making and reviewing critiques and working on pitches for additional products. One thing I'll say - being an independent developer gives you access to franchises I never thought possible a few years back.

I'm really looking forward to this game because:

A) I like Obsidian

B) I'm curious as to what a super bug-ridden Flash RPG looks like.

Prophane33

Has this company actually produced a game worth playing? Having never played any of their games I ask this seriously. All I ever hear about their games is that they are decent but heavily flawed.

I hear that KoTOR2 is not as good as the first one, Neverwinter Nights 2...I don't know much about, Alpha Protocol was a dud, and Fallout New Vegas was a huge disappointment to some people, and from what I understand was a bug riddled mess. Dungeon Seige III also seems to suffer from the problem of pretty graphics, bad gameplay, and we all know about the odd multiplayer choices they made with that game.

I understand they have the pedigree of Black Isle, however they've never made anything worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as those games. Why are they continually being mentioned as some sort of AAA developer when all they've put out was flawed disappointment after flawed disappointment?

Also as to not derail things too much I'll say that any new 2D RPGs are always a good thing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Prophane33 said:
Has this company actually produced a game worth playing? Having never played any of their games I ask this seriously. All I ever hear about their games is that they are decent but heavily flawed.

I hear that KoTOR2 is not as good as the first one, Neverwinter Nights 2...I don't know much about, Alpha Protocol was a dud, and Fallout New Vegas was a huge disappointment to some people, and from what I understand was a bug riddled mess. Dungeon Seige III also seems to suffer from the problem of pretty graphics, bad gameplay, and we all know about the odd multiplayer choices they made with that game.

I understand they have the pedigree of Black Isle, however they've never made anything worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as those games. Why are they continually being mentioned as some sort of AAA developer when all they've put out was flawed disappointment after flawed disappointment?
glee-wtflooksc8i5.gif

Moobabe

Prophane33 said:

Also as to not derail things too much I'll say that any new 2D RPGs are always a good thing.

I thought NWN2 was better than the first, with Mask of the Betrayer even further improved over the original. I also prefer FO:NV to FO3 but maybe I'm in the minority on that one.

Also Alpha Protocol isn't a dud :p

Prophane33

User33 said:
Alpha Protocol a dud?

Where's that Willy Wonka "You must be new here" pic when you need it?

Far from new here, thanks. I meant a dud as in, reviews were all over the place (Edge gave it a 5, 1up a B+, and gamespot (who listens to them really though...) a 6 and sales reflected that. Also it's supposed to have it's fair share of technical flaws.

Ponti

Prophane33 said:

You sound like the sort of person that's incapable of making up their own mind and instead uses metacritic and game reviewers to decide for you which games you should buy. Do yourself a favor and pick up one of Obsidians games and make up your own mind.

Prophane33

Ponti said:
You sound like the sort of person that's incapable of making up their own mind and instead uses metacritic and game reviewers to decide for you which games you should buy. Do yourself a favor and pick up one of Obsidians games and make up your own mind.

I hardly base ALL my purchases on reviews (I wouldn't own and enjoy as many "bad" games as I do). It's just I have never really seen anyone defending them or their games. I was looking to see what the general consensus around here is on Obsidian. Yet, at the same time I see Obsidian mentioned in the same breath as Bioware, and I haven't seen justification for it. Regardless, I'll assume their games are in the same vein as those by my favorite developer (Koei), and assume that reviewers and the general populace just don't get them. Maybe I'll give Alpha Protocol a try one of these days, since it was a game I was interested in when it was revealed.

hemtae

Detox said:
We have found Mark Laidlaw's account.

I think you mean Mike Laidlaw, Marc Laidlaw is a valve guy that made half-life

Prophane33 said:
Far from new here, thanks. I meant a dud as in, reviews were all over the place (Edge gave it a 5, 1up a B+, and gamespot (who listens to them really though...) a 6 and sales reflected that. Also it's supposed to have it's fair share of technical flaws.

Reviewers expected a mass effect 2 like game, it wasn't anything like mass effect 2

That's not to say it is perfect because it's not, but its a far better game than you are willing to give it credit for.

Also most bioware games have "its fair share of technical flaws"

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Prophane33 said:

Every game that Obsidian has made thats been a sequel has been better than the original.

KotOR 2 blows the fuck out of KotOR 1 so much its not even funny.

NWN 2 is actually good whereas NWN 1 never was good outside of user content.

NV should be called Fallout 3 and Bethesdas Fallout 3 should be called Fallout: Capital Wasteland.

Anyway.. you sound like the standard Obsidian troll. You badmouth their games without ever playing them. Every single thread that has to do with anything Obsidian has someone like you spreading bullshit about stuff they know nothing about.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Prophane33 said:
I hardly base ALL my purchases on reviews (I wouldn't own and enjoy as many "bad" games as I do). It's just I have never really seen anyone defending them or their games. I was looking to see what the general consensus around here is on Obsidian. Yet, at the same time I see Obsidian mentioned in the same breath as Bioware, and I haven't seen justification for it. Regardless, I'll assume their games are in the same vein as those by my favorite developer (Koei), and assume that reviewers and the general populace just don't get them. Maybe I'll give Alpha Protocol a try one of these days, since it was a game I was interested in when it was revealed.
Prophane33 said:
Yet, at the same time I see Obsidian mentioned in the same breath as Bioware, and I haven't seen justification for it.
Prophane33 said:
I haven't seen justification for it.
I literally said "holy shit" out loud.

Rad-

water_wendi said:
Every game that Obsidian has made thats been a sequel has been better than the original.

NV should be called Fallout 3 and Bethesdas Fallout 3 should be called Fallout: Capital Wasteland.

Anyway.. you sound like the standard Obsidian troll. You badmouth their games without ever playing them. Every single thread that has to do with anything Obsidian has someone like you spreading bullshit about stuff they know nothing about.

Well no shit? That was pretty much the whole point of the NWN series. Obsidian didn't understand this and tried to make balance with SP, MP and the tools. All of them ended up average and the series was destroyed.

Zeliard

Stallion Free said:
I literally said "holy shit" out loud.

He's right. What's the justification behind Bioware and Obsidian belonging in the same sentence? Bioware doesn't even attempt to make RPGs.

Seeing as they have an XBLA game coming I wonder if Microsoft are publisher? I know the resume says 360 or PS3 but I wonder if they just want experience with next-gen consoles in general.

Im very interested in whatever they make, however.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Rad- said:
Well no shit? That was pretty much the whole point of the NWN series. Obsidian didn't understand this and tried to make balance with SP, MP and the tools. All of them ended up average and the series was destroyed.
Ha! You make it sound like there was/is nothing being made for NWN2. The only thing that was an issue (and i admit it still might be because i dont care enough to keep tabs on it because i thought it was horrible in NWN1) was persistent world servers.

Zeliard

Rad- said:

Mask of the Betrayer is far better than anything Bioware has made outside of the Baldur's Gate series.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Zeliard said:
Mask of the Betrayer is far better than anything Bioware has made outside of the Baldur's Gate series.
ill go so far as to say that the NWN2 OC is better than anything Bioware has made outside BG. Its at least 50 times better than Mass Effect. Ffs what a nightmare.

Prophane33

water_wendi said:

As you may see above, I didn't mean any ill will. I feel like those people who bash my beloved Dynasty Warriors right now. I see that Obsidian games are just misunderstood, and as penance will pick up Alpha Protocol, and look into picking up KoTOR2 one of these days. (For the Record I liked KoTOR and NWN a lot.)

Derrick01

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Obsidian has made the superior version of every Bioware game they've been tasked with.

Yup. It's why I'm hoping they'll get to make a mass effect game after 3 comes out, so they can finally give us the mass effect RPG we've been wanting since the series started.

Acosta

I insist, why every Obsidian thread must become an uphill battle to defend them from a bunch of posters that wouldn't know what is a good RPG if their lives depended on it?

Just ignore them and let them live in their pathetic ignorance. I get tired of these discussions and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Top Bottom