• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there an MBA. graduate, doctorate crowd here on GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, please give me the strength to write my dissertation!

What's frustrates me the most, is that I'm not supposed to write much at all, just do a compilation of the articles that I already wrote. Yet, I'm here procrastinating. Every sentence hurts. :S
Good luck! I will be writing my thesis very soon :( don't know where or how to start.

Is the 1k for one on one tutoring at least? D:

Nope, small class style for 12 weeks or so. But I can pay for 1 on 1 tutoring for 30/hour.

I paid similar for online Veritas Prep. It's worth it especially if you struggling in formal test taking.

I definitely think I will be thankful for taking the course.

Right no I am going over the Manhattan GMAT Foundations books until my course begins at the end of September.

I've forgotten so much with simple arithmetic and I've only been out of undergrad for 2 years.

lol the price is for sure out there.

I'd say you should look into magoosh - it's what I used to study for the GRE. It sounds like you already made a pretty big commitment though.

I heard great thinks about Magoosh but I don't want to add too many resources into my studying unless advised to later on. I hear one pitfall for GMAT prep is over extending yourself to the different resources available to you.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Guys, please give me the strength to write my dissertation!

What's frustrates me the most, is that I'm not supposed to write much at all, just do a compilation of the articles that I already wrote. Yet, I'm here procrastinating. Every sentence hurts. :S

Everyone has their own approach and their own deadlines. My friend managed to write his dissertation while his wife had a baby in a couple of months. Me one the other hand had to really focus on the writing part and trying to bring it all together in a logical way as I had too many papers about various topics that really didn't connect properly. My writing too a hell of a lot longer than average.

For you, I just suggest what I suggest to everyone. Make the structure in one go, just write where everything goes and then start with the abstract and conclusions. Then move onto the easiest to write stuff. The more you have on paper, the easier it is to continue. And, when you know what you need to write based on the structure you make in the beginning, you can pick and choose what to write.

Stop procrastinating :)

GamerJM

Banned
Is there any chance I can try to get into an MBA program if my undergraduate GPA is really bad? I'm wondering if I should even bother putting a bunch of time into studying for the GMAT if I probably won't get in no matter what my score is. To clarify, I'm looking at a program that a university near my house offers and they say that they look at the last 90 (quarter) units you've taken when looking at GPA, and mine is significantly better in that regard although not great, since I had three full years at university with serious mental health problems and a major I didn't like. I don't know exactly what my GPA will be since I haven't graduated yet, but I think my overall GPA will probably be around a 2.5, my "last 90 units," GPA will probably be in the 3-3.2 range, and then my major GPA will be around a 3.4-3.5.

Two Words

I am still doing my undergrad, but I'm taking grad courses now. It's a nice program to get your Masters a bit faster.

I'm taking a grad-level Computer Graphics course and the professor is still acting like we don't know how to code. Like, the first day he was stressing the class that if they don't know Java that they probably want to drop the course.

B.O.O.M

Congrats. What's your subject and what courses are you teaching/a TA for?

Oops sorry I didn't see this reply till now. Thank you!

I'm in Management. Specifically, my research focus is on Corporate Strategy and International Business areas.

As for teaching, I teach an intro to OB/Management course (junior level) and/or an Org development course (also junior level) each term so far. The latter is more of a strategy class.

tokkun

I am still doing my undergrad, but I'm taking grad courses now. It's a nice program to get your Masters a bit faster.

I'm taking a grad-level Computer Graphics course and the professor is still acting like we don't know how to code. Like, the first day he was stressing the class that if they don't know Java that they probably want to drop the course.

Different schools teach their curricula with different languages. A lot of schools have moved from Java to Python for the majority of their classes. When I was a grad student there was a similar issue, except it was people shifting from C/C++ to Java. I recall taking a computer architecture course and the professor giving us an assignment to modify some complex simulator that was written in C almost entirely using macros to the point where it was almost indecipherable. I told the professor that if he was going to treat knowledge of C as a prerequisite, then it really ought to be documented as one of the prerequisites in the course description. He said that the department didn't want that because they didn't teach C anymore.

ZZMitch

Successfully defended my MSc thesis today and got pretty much no edits.. pretty pumped!

My supervisor was impressed he said he's never been on a defense committee where they recommended pretty much no edits required.

Is there any chance I can try to get into an MBA program if my undergraduate GPA is really bad? I'm wondering if I should even bother putting a bunch of time into studying for the GMAT if I probably won't get in no matter what my score is. To clarify, I'm looking at a program that a university near my house offers and they say that they look at the last 90 (quarter) units you've taken when looking at GPA, and mine is significantly better in that regard although not great, since I had three full years at university with serious mental health problems and a major I didn't like. I don't know exactly what my GPA will be since I haven't graduated yet, but I think my overall GPA will probably be around a 2.5, my "last 90 units," GPA will probably be in the 3-3.2 range, and then my major GPA will be around a 3.4-3.5.

what does your work experience look like? it sounds like you are still in undergrad? the top MBA programs want to see some work experience regardless, and that would especially benefit you since you will need to make up for the weak GPA.

Anyone studying psychology/cognitive science in here?

I'm getting my master's degree in Clinical Mental Health counseling? Just started my 2nd semester too. Though, I'm still on the fence if I should also pursue a 2nd Masters in Addiction counseling before graduation.

1upsuper

Does anyone have any advice for the GRE English lit subject test? The advice I've gotten so far has been to just buck up and read through the Norton Anthology of English Literature. Is that sufficient? Too little or too much?

You always have personal statements and optional essays to clarify holes in your profile. Mental illness sounds like something that could easily be addressed and looked over. Also consider lower GPAs are acceptable in more STEM/quant heavy majors, if that is applicable to you.

As other posters have said however top schools will be looking at work experience which you don't seem to have yet. Again STEM/quant careers will go a long way in the 3-4 years of work post undergrad. Also round out your profile with extracurriculars, volunteering, or side business/entrepreneur work.

GamerJM

Banned
what does your work experience look like? it sounds like you are still in undergrad? the top MBA programs want to see some work experience regardless, and that would especially benefit you since you will need to make up for the weak GPA.

I'm not looking into a top MBA program, I'm looking into a local state school program. I am still in undergrad as I alluded to in my post (I thought I said I was but I guess I didn't). The state school seems to have two MBA programs from what I understand, one for those who are well into their careers and one for people who only graduated from college recently and are early in their career.

My (professional) work experience is basically nonexistent. Part of the reason I was interested in this is because having an MBA would (presumably) make it easier to find jobs, and while I have been able to secure several interviews this year none of them led to a job/internship. My mom brought up the option of pursuing an MBA when I told her this, and she said she'd help finance it, but I thought MBAs were typically for people who already have job experience. But then I noticed a (recently graduated) young woman I knew at university who I have on my LinkedIn connections is in this same program without much experience so idk.

You always have personal statements and optional essays to clarify holes in your profile. Mental illness sounds like something that could easily be addressed and looked over. Also consider lower GPAs are acceptable in more STEM/quant heavy majors, if that is applicable to you.

As other posters have said however top schools will be looking at work experience which you don't seem to have yet. Again STEM/quant careers will go a long way in the 3-4 years of work post undergrad. Also round out your profile with extracurriculars, volunteering, or side business/entrepreneur work.

My original major (and current minor) was STEM but the one I'm in right now isn't (Economics, though, which is part of why I'm looking into an MBA since it seems like a good place to go from there).

I'm not looking into a top MBA program, I'm looking into a local state school program. I am still in undergrad as I alluded to in my post (I thought I said I was but I guess I didn't). The state school seems to have two MBA programs from what I understand, one for those who are well into their careers and one for people who only graduated from college recently and are early in their career.

My (professional) work experience is basically nonexistent. Part of the reason I was interested in this is because having an MBA would (presumably) make it easier to find jobs, and while I have been able to secure several interviews this year none of them led to a job/internship. My mom brought up the option of pursuing an MBA when I told her this, and she said she'd help finance it, but I thought MBAs were typically for people who already have job experience. But then I noticed a (recently graduated) young woman I knew at university who I have on my LinkedIn connections is in this same program without much experience so idk.

My original major (and current minor) was STEM but the one I'm in right now isn't (Economics, though, which is part of why I'm looking into an MBA since it seems like a good place to go from there).

An MBA is worthless without real world experience and will not influence more job opportunities and is a really bad idea especially if you are taking on more loans to get it. Some will disagree but by and large an MBAs ROI is only worth it from a top 20 or top 30 school. Less quality schools are only worth it if you receive massive scholarships or have an employer who will pay. The curriculum for an MBA honestly isn't all that challenging especially if you come from a business background (economics counts) and the true value comes from what is learned from your peers and networking/career functions. Most low tiered schools do not offer substantial recruiting options because they are not focused on rankings/student employment rather simply getting more students in the door who don't know any better to keep money flowing through their system.

Step back and analyze why you have no work experience and why you are not getting interviews. What is your approach? Are you using your undergrad career services center? On campus recruiting? Or are you just blindly applying to online portals with no follow up or connections? If you don't have an internship yet (assuming you graduate next spring) can you hustle your ass off to get one during fall or spring while going to school? Get motivated and approach finding a job similar to your full time job. You should be spending 4-5 hours a day researching target companies, perfecting a resume, building cover letters, sending out notes for informational interviews on LinkedIn, talking with professors, utilizing career services, etc. etc.

I hate to sound harsh but throwing more money at another degree does not fix the problem. Your problem as of now is that you are not employable. Figure out why that is and starting doing things to correct that.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Hi again. I'm 18 pages into my dissertation, yay me!

But the "problem" I'm facing right now is that the dissertation is looking to be about 40 pages in length! Is that too short? I have been reading online and the one sentence that really hurt was "a good length is 150 pages". How long was yours?

My advisors are okay with it btw. The one I'm working with right now pretty much doesn't want me to be wasting my time writing something none will read. The other is mostly okay with what the first one said.

Now, the first half of my work are purely theoretical results. Doing purely theoretical research is very different and writing just 10 pages of sound, innovative maths is an accomplished. This is my first paper and the one I have accepted and the one I'm basis my thesis on. I have 3 other articles (2 as first authors) but I don't want to delay my graduation....

tokkun

Hi again. I'm 18 pages into my dissertation, yay me!

But the "problem" I'm facing right now is that the dissertation is looking to be about 40 pages in length! Is that too short? I have been reading online and the one sentence that really hurt was "a good length is 150 pages". How long was yours?

My advisors are okay with it btw. The one I'm working with right now pretty much doesn't want me to be wasting my time writing something none will read. The other is mostly okay with what the first one said.

Now, the first half of my work are purely theoretical results. Doing purely theoretical research is very different and writing just 10 pages of sound, innovative maths is an accomplished. This is my first paper and the one I have accepted and the one I'm basis my thesis on. I have other 3 articles (2 as first authors) but I don't want to delay my graduation....

Mine was 205 pages, but 150 was more typical among my peers. This stuff varies by field, though, so you might want to check on what other people with the same major are doing. There are some fields where ~300 pages is de rigeur.

A lot of it depends on how much time you are expected to spend discussing background and prior work in your field or whether you have large dataset and many graphs to include.

If you are worried about it, take the temperature of your committee members. It's a pretty good idea to occasionally schedule a 5 minute meeting with each of them to ask any questions you have about their expectations for your dissertation. They are less likely to surprise you with unexpected work after your defense if you do this.

truongt

Neo Member
I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on taking the GRE, I am taking the test in late October and I have been finding it quite hard to prepare for the material. I don't know where to really focus on, I have been studying here and there and I am confident in my math and writing skills but it is really the vocabulary section I am concerned about. I been using apps like vocabulary.com and other apps the mimic the GRE vocab section but still finding it hard to stick. Please help. :'(

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on taking the GRE, I am taking the test in late October and I have been finding it quite hard to prepare for the material. I don't know where to really focus on, I have been studying here and there and I am confident in my math and writing skills but it is really the vocabulary section I am concerned about. I been using apps like vocabulary.com and other apps the mimic the GRE vocab section but still finding it hard to stick. Please help. :'(

Have you tried taking some practice GREs? What are your scores like? I assume you're talking about the General only here.

Necrovex

It's worthwhile to read high-level materials to help retain the vocab. Actually implementing what you learn will take you far. So I recommend reading the likes of The Economist and The New York Times to help utilize your new found words. That's how I got a high score for my verbal.

tokkun

Different disciplines value the sections of the exam differently. In engineering, they expected a near-perfect score on the quantitative section but did not care about your scores on the language section at all. If you were a native English speaker, it didn't pay to spend any time studying language.

Just finished my application and submitted it for an MBA specializing in Sustainable Commerce. breathes deeply

I'm still on the fence, to be honest, about whether or not I want to go through with it. I've been working in my field for seven years now and I've hit a bit of a career peak that I won't be able to surmount without a proper knowledge of business. An MBA's a goal I've had for a while - but that price tag, oof. Not to mention the fact that it's a full time program along with working full time. I'll be bereft of free time for the next two years.

truongt

Neo Member
Have you tried taking some practice GREs? What are your scores like? I assume you're talking about the General only here.

I am taking the general GRE, I been hitting the average in each section, roughly 155. I want to try to get at least a 160 in each section.

truongt

Neo Member
It's worthwhile to read high-level materials to help retain the vocab. Actually implementing what you learn will take you far. So I recommend reading the likes of The Economist and The New York Times to help utilize your new found words. That's how I got a high score for my verbal.

Do you think it is enough time to start reading new material like the NY Times and the economist?

truongt

Neo Member
Different disciplines value the sections of the exam differently. In engineering, they expected a near-perfect score on the quantitative section but did not care about your scores on the language section at all. If you were a native English speaker, it didn't pay to spend any time studying language.

I am a native English speaker. Since I am applying to an MS in laboratory medicine, would it be wiser to focus my time on the quantitative section rather than the section I know I would struggle more in, vocabulary.

I'm just hoping I could get some feedback here as I'm somewhat uncertain as to what to do. I'm going to talk to a potential supervisor this week to clear things up, but I'm hoping some people here could perhaps ease some of my uncertainty:

(1) I recently completed an REU (Research Experience for Undergrads) in Mathematics and following the completion of the program I got an email from a researcher basically along the lines of 'if I should ever be interested in further research to come and chat' and that there are 'open problems from his own research that I may be interested in'. I'm definitely interested in following up on this since I really enjoyed my own research, but would I be correct in thinking this is suggesting supervision for perhaps a PhD (since there are no other research programs during the semester I could partake in) or does it just seem to suggest doing it 'for fun'? I can of course go meet and clarify, but I can't do so for awhile and I don't want to make things awkward if I've the wrong impression (but will certainly be still doing whatever he is researching in my own time afterwards if that's all it is). Funding deadlines are very soon (November) and I'm still finalising my own paper (because I've one more thing to prove before it can be completed which a lecturer has suggested is feasible) so it would help to get an idea as to whether I'm reading too much into things or not.

(2) If it were to be a potential PhD supervision offer, has anybody here actually done a PhD in Pure Maths? I'm really considering doing one, but my impression and understanding is that not only is the job market absolutely dreadful, but they're highly competitive and employment rates are relatively low. When it's also a big opportunity cost, it makes me hesitant to accept one even if I know I really enjoy the actual research.

I'm hoping somebody here would have some experience that could clarify either (1) or (2), especially (1) if people have their own experience of a potential supervisor reaching out so I could keep expectations aligned with the most likely scenario.

has anybody here actually done a PhD in Pure Maths? I'm really considering doing one, but my impression and understanding is that not only is the job market absolutely dreadful, but they're highly competitive and employment rates are relatively low.

127.gif

I'm just hoping I could get some feedback here as I'm somewhat uncertain as to what to do. I'm going to talk to a potential supervisor this week to clear things up, but I'm hoping some people here could perhaps ease some of my uncertainty:

(1) I recently completed an REU (Research Experience for Undergrads) in Mathematics and following the completion of the program I got an email from a researcher basically along the lines of 'if I should ever be interested in further research to come and chat' and that there are 'open problems from his own research that I may be interested in'. I'm definitely interested in following up on this since I really enjoyed my own research, but would I be correct in thinking this is suggesting supervision for perhaps a PhD (since there are no other research programs during the semester I could partake in) or does it just seem to suggest doing it 'for fun'? I can of course go meet and clarify, but I can't do so for awhile and I don't want to make things awkward if I've the wrong impression (but will certainly be still doing whatever he is researching in my own time afterwards if that's all it is). Funding deadlines are very soon (November) and I'm still finalising my own paper (because I've one more thing to prove before it can be completed which a lecturer has suggested is feasible) so it would help to get an idea as to whether I'm reading too much into things or not.

(2) If it were to be a potential PhD supervision offer, has anybody here actually done a PhD in Pure Maths? I'm really considering doing one, but my impression and understanding is that not only is the job market absolutely dreadful, but they're highly competitive and employment rates are relatively low. When it's also a big opportunity cost, it makes me hesitant to accept one even if I know I really enjoy the actual research.

I'm hoping somebody here would have some experience that could clarify either (1) or (2), especially (1) if people have their own experience of a potential supervisor reaching out so I could keep expectations aligned with the most likely scenario.

Have to go into something thats using applications and math and can embrace big data, or sell yourself in future jobs as a person who can handle analysis of data (like a statistician).

VegiHam

So I just emailed my head of department to ask about the procedure for quitting. And I hate myself for it.

I don't want to be a failure who didn't see his masters degree through. But I also need the panic attacks to stop. I can't spend another whole day paralysed by this.

I don't know what to do GAF.

So I just emailed my head of department to ask about the procedure for quitting. And I hate myself for it.

I don't want to be a failure who didn't see his masters degree through. But I also need the panic attacks to stop. I can't spend another whole day paralysed by this.

I don't know what to do GAF.

Can you take some time off and then return to it later? Regardless though, take care of your own health first. That's the most important thing.

VegiHam

Can you take some time off and then return to it later? Regardless though, take care of your own health first. That's the most important thing.

That's one of the things I asked in my email! I expect I probably can; but everyone I know is expecting me to graduate in January and I don't want to let people down. I should be taking care of myself. I don't know how to do that but I reckon it'll be easier to figure out when not constantly stressed about my dissertattion maybe?

That's one of the things I asked in my email! I expect I probably can; but everyone I know is expecting me to graduate in January and I don't want to let people down. I should be taking care of myself. I don't know how to do that but I reckon it'll be easier to figure out when not constantly stressed about my dissertattion maybe?

It's not a terribly unusual thing to take a break from school; I mean, I've known more than a few people who have for various reasons decided to take a 1 year + long breather. School is stressful and exhausting and it's totally normal to take time away.

It may help to put things into perspective when you don't have that stress constantly at your doorstep.

As a side note, as someone with anxiety myself, please consider looking into therapy options. While you are an enrolled student, you should have access to your campus' counselling/psychological services.

VegiHam

It's not a terribly unusual thing to take a break from school; I mean, I've known more than a few people who have for various reasons decided to take a 1 year + long breather. School is stressful and exhausting and it's totally normal to take time away.

It may help to put things into perspective when you don't have that stress constantly at your doorstep.

That helps to hear! thank you very much. I don't personally know many postgraduates; but all the ones I do are stressed and miserable but on track. So it helps to think it's not like a huge disaster.

I've had four months straight of daily stress about this but it's reached the point of near daily panic attacks and I need out.

I'm not sure what help is available to me as someone who's working remotely and not in the city where my university is, though. I guess I could contact my university's support department and ask though?

That helps to hear! thank you very much. I don't personally know many postgraduates; but all the ones I do are stressed and miserable but on track. So it helps to think it's not like a huge disaster.

I've had four months straight of daily stress about this but it's reached the point of near daily panic attacks and I need out.

I'm not sure what help is available to me as someone who's working remotely and not in the city where my university is, though. I guess I could contact my university's support department and ask though?

Counselling services are usually on-campus, but if you can travel there, they're typically staffed by very capable people at no cost. I only mention it because private counselling services can get really expensive (think $100-200/session in Canada) and if you have services through your school, it's way more accessible financially.

VegiHam

Counselling services are usually on-campus, but if you can travel there, they're typically staffed by very capable people at no cost. I only mention it because private counselling services can get really expensive (think $100-200/session in Canada) and if you have services through your school, it's way more accessible financially.

Yeah, it's definitely something I should have been making use of for the past four years, with hindsight. I don't know how expensive that sort of thing is here but I assume it's pretty bad too...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Not sure where to ask this but this might be most applicable here. I graduated ~1.5/2 years ago with my MSc and have been working since. When I graduated I asked for my PI and my direct supervisor (the PhD student/post-doc at the time) as references when I was looking for jobs. Now that I've been working and want to re-apply for PhD positions and/or jobs, most places obviously ask for 2-3 references.

Should I re-call/e-mail my PI and former supervisor to ask to use them for references again or is it implied that I can just put them down anyway? I will obviously add my current PI as a references once I decide to tell him that I'm looking to move on, but I would rather avoid doing that as long as possible. (Especially if applying for jobs - if I applied for a PhD somewhere he'd happily give me a reference but I'm not sure how he feels about just leaving to take another job, that's why I'd rather use my older references for those until i absolutely have to).

Not sure where to ask this but this might be most applicable here. I graduated ~1.5/2 years ago with my MSc and have been working since. When I graduated I asked for my PI and my direct supervisor (the PhD student/post-doc at the time) as references when I was looking for jobs. Now that I've been working and want to re-apply for PhD positions and/or jobs, most places obviously ask for 2-3 references.

Should I re-call/e-mail my PI and former supervisor to ask to use them for references again or is it implied that I can just put them down anyway? I will obviously add my current PI as a references once I decide to tell him that I'm looking to move on, but I would rather avoid doing that as long as possible. (Especially if applying for jobs - if I applied for a PhD somewhere he'd happily give me a reference but I'm not sure how he feels about just leaving to take another job, that's why I'd rather use my older references for those until i absolutely have to).

Absolutely ask them before putting them down.

Already feeling the weight of the semester. I'm in a masters program, 2nd year.

In the next two months I have to:
Finish my thesis proposal
Interview individuals for my thesis, transcribe and begin actually analyzing my data.
Finish a journal article for publication
Organize a session for a conference
Retake the GRE.
Apply to Ph.D programs

All while continuing to do course work, teaching two classes, grading for two others, and working another part-time job.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

He is almost certainly suggesting graduate study.

My studies are in another field, although I have a friend about to finish a PhD in Pure Math (on a topology related question). Some observations. First, the hiring market in every field is and always will be bad. Too many people get PhDs and not enough older professors retire or die. Universities are also pushing more and more work to lecturers and adjuncts and MOOCs and other models to reduce the number of TT positions. In general you will expect to have to do a post-doc before being able to grab a TT position.

But this might not ultimately matter to you. First, consider the distribution of potential graduates from the kind of schools you can get into. If the median PhD is a cab driver, then what it means is that you have to be better than the median PhD. There is a brutality to this, knowing that half the people in your entry class might end up underemployed, but it doesn't actually impact you if you're not in the bottom half. Second, the opportunity cost is lower than you think. You can take a terminal MA/MSc degree early; you can make it to ABD and then leave for industry. Nothing about starting a PhD requires you to finish a PhD. Third, most PhD granting institutions want their students to be tenured R1 research profs. Fine. But that isn't the only thing in the world. Teaching universities need professors. There is plenty of industry work (note: you'll probably want to self-teach enough programming or data science/ML/stats stuff to pump up the industry side of your portfolio). Even teaching at a community college is not the end of the world. Very very few people who get through a PhD don't end up in a solid white collar job. And in the mean time, although you're a pauper during grad school, it's fun as hell.

He is almost certainly suggesting graduate study.
Perfect, thank you. I just didn't want to go in thinking it was with respect to potential supervision for graduate study and be completely mistaken. I had been hoping to finish the summer research (and submit it for publication) before certain funding institutes' closed their applications and then subsequently meet him, but it hit an unexpected snag so it's looking like I'm going to have to meet him prior to having it finalised and submitted (there are still going to be funding institutes open after November, but there are far more beforehand).

My studies are in another field, although I have a friend about to finish a PhD in Pure Math (on a topology related question). Some observations. First, the hiring market in every field is and always will be bad. Too many people get PhDs and not enough older professors retire or die. Universities are also pushing more and more work to lecturers and adjuncts and MOOCs and other models to reduce the number of TT positions. In general you will expect to have to do a post-doc before being able to grab a TT position.

But this might not ultimately matter to you. First, consider the distribution of potential graduates from the kind of schools you can get into. If the median PhD is a cab driver, then what it means is that you have to be better than the median PhD. There is a brutality to this, knowing that half the people in your entry class might end up underemployed, but it doesn't actually impact you if you're not in the bottom half. Second, the opportunity cost is lower than you think. You can take a terminal MA/MSc degree early; you can make it to ABD and then leave for industry. Nothing about starting a PhD requires you to finish a PhD. Third, most PhD granting institutions want their students to be tenured R1 research profs. Fine. But that isn't the only thing in the world. Teaching universities need professors. There is plenty of industry work (note: you'll probably want to self-teach enough programming or data science/ML/stats stuff to pump up the industry side of your portfolio). Even teaching at a community college is not the end of the world. Very very few people who get through a PhD don't end up in a solid white collar job. And in the mean time, although you're a pauper during grad school, it's fun as hell.
The bolded was very much my concern but the italicised is certainly a fair point. It's definitely a good idea to see if the school of maths can provide any sort of insight into the distribution of jobs go on to occupy. I have a friend who's doing his PhD in a very similar area to what I'd be researching (he's doing combinatorial knot theory) and have gotten some advice in how to actually apply from him, but didn't really want to ask him about the job market when he's in the middle of it (even if he's surely given it thought).

A very large concern is that in my location there aren't many universities (making competition even tougher if you wish to remain in the country) and even the amount of third level teaching institutes is not particularly great. That, in itself, isn't such a disaster, but it would mean looking for academic positions (at any level beyond second-level which I really don't have an interest in) would almost surely necessitate going abroad (most likely to the US) and I'm not sure how content I could be in a 'smaller' location (referring to the city itself) permanently or for a number of years. If the level of industry work for PhD students is not as poor as I've been led to believe though, that would definitely alleviate any perceived risk of doing one, as I'm definitely not pigeonholing myself into academia. My initial plan had been to do a MSc in Actuary and then seek employment anyway, so it's not like I'm set on needing to do research.

Thanks to yourself and Dedication Through Light for the responses though, as it's something I've been weighing up quite carefully. Hopefully DrWhoStaringInTheRain.gif isn't the accurate result in four years if I do go for it.

I'll complete my first year of my first post-doc in two days. Coincidentally, I'm sending out my first (and only, for the near-future) application for a tenure-track faculty position in microbiology. It's a little early as I don't have any good project to take with me from my post-doc work yet, but I have a good project to build on from my graduate work, and am going to meld my post-doc experience so far with my experience from grad school for two other project directions. This should give me one strong research direction with two good additional directions which are somewhat secondary/only partly tested in-lab.

I think I have a great chance to get an interview, but worry that my research talk/chalk talk won't be strong enough if I make it that far in the process. I am applying to an R2-level school, so hopefully this means I can get at least to an interview. My teaching experience is pretty strong, especially with undergraduates, so that'll help me a lot at this school.

What I feel very good about are my papers and grants. I'm up to 17 publications now (5 first author, one of those a review) with 2 (hopefully 3 by the time I apply) more under review (all being first author). Then I've gotten 2 grants as the PI totally about $230,000, which I have to believe is far beyond the average for most applicants to an R2's assistant professor-level call for applications.

Anyway, wish me luck folks. Got a few more weeks to write up my application materials, then some waiting and crossing my fingers for a call to interview.

Ethelwulf

Will desk rejections ever stop to hurt!? Are they better than reviewer rejection? Plz comment, PhD GAF!

Reviewer rejections are better... in a way. At least you have feedback from which your paper gets better. Mine definitely got better after revision, even rejected papers. Never take it personally though. Reviewer rejection is still possible. Always please the reviewer. ALWAYS. Like:

Reviewer 1:

Point one: Insufficient statistical analyses were performed in the first part of the study. Please re do the analyses with correction for multiple comparisons.... Do X test.

You:

Thank you for your input. We agree that the first part of our study lacked sufficient statistical clarity. Therefore, we have re done most of the analyses in the first part by correcting for multiple comparisons... This can be showed in Figure X

And to the editor:

As you can see from our revision, we agreed with both reviewers that our work needed substantial improvements. We can't express enough how grateful we feel with both reviewers... as...

It truly works like that. Good luck and if you need any help improving your future responses let me know and I'll gladly help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom