• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Elden Ring. Finally playing this beloved game. Any advice appreciated

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I've put this game off for years because generally, I've had major FromSoft and Soulsbourne fatigue. I don't love the sub genre like a lot of other people do, and while I like a lot of FromSoft's games, I don't swear by them like some do. They're very well made, but I'm way more fond of the atmosphere, world, designs than the combat. I've played about an hour and so far the combat feels very familiar. Given this game is going to be a much longer investment than their other games, if I eventually get bored, there's no guarantee I stick this one out all the way through, but I'm going in with the intention to do so at least right now.

Given that, I will absolutely not be doing multiple playthroughs. I get fatigue with FromSoft games as it is, once I finish this, I'll be avoiding the genre for a good while.

So having said that, I ask if anyone has advice to share for this game. For example things like "Don't do ____ or you'll miss this quest" or "Don't forget to search this area for this item" etc. Or just any tips or advice you can offer. I bet a lot of people here have played this game for hundreds of hours on multiple playthroughs.

I started with Vagabond btw. It's familiar to the style I played with the other games, so I decided to just stick with what I was used to.

Banjo64

cumsessed
If you’re a mage you can speed run to one of the best staffs in the game straight away and there’s also a heat seeking missile boulder spell which decimates early to mid game enemies. Leads in to buffing the fuck out of yourself for the late game Kamehamehi spell that can one shot nearly every boss on the game.

Dragon Ball GIF by Xbox

Codes 208

If you’re a mage you can speed run to one of the best staffs in the game straight away and there’s also a heat seeking missile boulder spell which decimates early to mid game enemies. Leads in to buffing the fuck out of yourself for the late game Kamehamehi spell that can one shot nearly every boss on the game.

Dragon Ball GIF by Xbox
Well, before it got nerfed to hell (or did it get rebuffed?)

thuGG_pl

Check out quests you care about on wiki or something like that: https://roundtablehold.net if you only want to play once.
It's way too easy to miss almost all the quests, that was my experience on first playthrough.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
Don’t be afraid to take your time. The progression is pretty open so if you get frustrated, go and check another part of the map and come back later.

consoul

I'd say don't go straight to Margit, despite the game guiding you to go to Stormveil Castle from the start.

Wander around, have fun and build up your skills and gear. Then go back to Stormveil and you'll find it much less of a punch in the face.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
What's a good guide for walkthroughs if I decide to look things up? I've found Fextralife helpful on previous Dark Souls games. Is that the best one for this game?

MagnesD3

If you hit a difficulty wall dont be afraid to go explore somewhere else and come back later. Make sure to look up where the Spirit Calling Bell is and the Wonderous Physic they are alot of fun/important for gameplay and can be missed easily.

If you havent gotten Torrent yet to explore, make sure to sit down at 3 different graces so you can get him. Torrent has a double jump and you can cast magic while riding him, there is also light invincibility frames getting on and off the horse.

Always destroy white beetles, little towers on your map are new map piece locations to fill out your map with and the roundtable hold is on the bottom left corner of your map when you can teleport there.

I also recommend always reading both view of your items in your menu, sometimes unique details are found on the different tabs, its either triangle or square while on an item that changes the description page i believe (the lore is incredibly interesting as well).

Also every ruin has a staircase that leads to something interesting. If there is one mandatory side quest you need to complete its Rannis, just make sure to try to progress it when you can (theres no time limit).

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
What's a good guide for walkthroughs if I decide to look things up? I've found Fextralife helpful on previous Dark Souls games. Is that the best one for this game?
I don’t know if it’s the “best”. I used it to find items, locations, and such though. No boss strats

Saber

Gold Member
Lol, asking for an advice but it doesn't sound like you wanna invest much on the game neither have interest...so why even ask?

Go for blind and don't cry if you got wrecked. It's part of the game and part of learning experience. The worst thing a loser want is a guide in a game that gives you a lot of options(and I meant that, the game has swords, whips, bows, magics, summons, etc). Just play the game the way you like, feel most secure or feel fun. Liked a weapon you just found or find it strong? Then go for it. The same for any armor, summon and Great Runes. Hit a boss wall? Retreat and train again, go for another route or use summons. Find a way to cheese a boss? Go for it, no one is making rules. Explore the game, go with the flow and you will be just fine. The only remotely way you would need a guide is to understand how the Ash of War elements(affinities) works.

Last edited:
FightinCowboy for YouTube/video walkthroughs is one of my favorites.

I'd hold your opinion on the combat for now......because there are some wild ways you can play this game as opposed to other entries in the series. For me, the jump attack alone was a massive mix up for combat. Horse combat is huge. Also, use the summons - they are there for fun and to help you.

GermanZepp

Go down the map first instead up. Don't look builds, discover all you can by yourself. If you get stuck go someplace else.

Last edited:

Markio128

I'd say don't go straight to Margit, despite the game guiding you to go to Stormveil Castle from the start.

Wander around, have fun and build up your skills and gear. Then go back to Stormveil and you'll find it much less of a punch in the face.
Don’t you need to have at least attempted Margit to access the roundtable hold? I say, go there, get leathered, then at least you can use the roundtable hold facilities.

Last edited:

Fake

Use two swords. Slow steps. Try not to face many enemies at the same time. Use itens to get enemy attention. Focus on search golden orb and golden chalice.

Paulxo87

if you get stuck just look up the early game farming spots on youtube etc. There is no challenge you cannot just out grind/source high end gear to deal with.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Enjoying my time with it so far, but this isn't a game I can do for 5+ hour sessions. It's going to take me a while to finish this game because I can only do 1-2 hours at a time. Always having to be on your toes is a grind in these games. Wish there was a mini map.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Enjoying my time with it so far, but this isn't a game I can do for 5+ hour sessions. It's going to take me a while to finish this game because I can only do 1-2 hours at a time. Always having to be on your toes is a grind in these games. Wish there was a mini map.
Take your time and just enjoy act of exploring and see where the wind takes you......there is no race to finish the game as fast as possible.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Don't worry about it, just play it. I even played it offline, and it was fine. It's hard to get stuck in this game IMO.

Edit: With that said, some of the harder bosses are indeed easier with certain builds.

Last edited:

stn

Invest your points properly (make sure you have enough to do a medium roll!), follow your map if you want to follow only the main quest, and use help when needed for bosses. The game is absolutely incredible, I would sincerely recommended going in blind.

NikuNashi

Congrats on started your journey tarnished. I would say take your time and enjoy. Ive been playing for a year now here and there,

Just spent two weeks to beat godskin noble with no cheese or sleeping pots, just learning all his states and bugs and finally the feeling of beating him was euphoric.

My advice is to drop it. It's not a good game, and especially if you are not a fan of the genre, there is no a single reason to waste your time on it.
this. i've been wasting over a month of my time now replaying this awful game, & i'm tellin' ya, there's nothing to this game but never-ending frustration, agony, & misery. you'd have to be goddamn crazy to play this dumb damn game...

The Dude

I finally went back and finished it, I was a big time destiny player so I been sidetracked on so many games like elden ring and man I'm finally so glad I went back and finished it, got the plat etc... Absolutely incredible game. To me that world is second to none to explore, it's hard to believe they pulled it off.. Incredible game.

I'd echo what others said above just enjoy and explore, it's an amazing ride. Some weapons I loved were the moon greatsword and the halo scythe, that weapon is nice if you like having a little range

Last edited:
If you're really going for a one and done experience and don't mind a guided tour then I'll echo FightinCowboy. Fantastic to listen to while helping you catch as many things as possible on the first go. It's really helps sands the edges on frustration while also typically shaving time off having to wander around looking for what you want. Also helps to check ahead of time for what build you'd like so you can start planning for it.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I finished Stormveil Castle. Man that was a long dungeon. Took me two days to fully explore it and find everything.

What I like about this game is some random bosses I'll wander into are significantly harder than some major bosses. It could just be my build or approach, but the toughest thing I've fought so far was this thing called Bell Bearing Hunter.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
just try new weapons and do not ignore the war ashes. ashes are extremely good. Different on many weapons.
you can respec later. You will get like 20 of respec items so there is some room to experiment... later.

Soodanim

Gold Member
ER encourages experimentation. From the item crafting (cracked pots) to changing ashes of war (L2 skills) on weapons being freely and infinitely swappable to the same going for the special flask, don't be afraid to try things out.

Even ashes of war that seem silly can be surprisingly good. If you come across the butt slam, it's very good at breaking enemy stances/poise.

The spirit summons can be very good fun, if you enjoy them then summon away. If not, they're completely optional.

Top Bottom