• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there an MBA. graduate, doctorate crowd here on GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totakeke

Applying to analytics and data science Masters for next Fall. Completed my applications, it isn't the first time I've gone through the process (applied for PhD more about four years ago but failed to get in anywhere) and I still hate it. Everyone on the internet seems like they have some connections somewhere, multiple recommendations for different programs, and some "deep" background cause they had for studying that field. Looking for advice is better worse than not looking for it sometimes. The admissions process still feels skewed for someone who isn't already in the field and there isn't really many objective criteria (which most people applying already meet) that can get you in. I suppose the good thing is that I don't have to go through the GRE again this time, didn't like memorizing words just for the sake of it.

Not keeping my hopes up this time either and I'll just see what results I get.

Took the GMAT last week and got 730 first try.
My worry is my low GPA
Hopefully my international experience (Middle East and Korea) plus coming from an under-represented field (energy) can give me some brownie points.
Wanna get into HAAS

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I have a masters in early childhood education (k-8).
Classes were a complete waste of time. Just a money grab that taught me jack shit. Everything of value I learned came from student teaching, talking to colleagues already in the field, and most of all my first year as a classroom teacher. It actually pisses me off still to think about the absurd amount of money I spent, the asses of self important professors I had to kiss, and the endless hoops I had to jump through, only to receive zero helpful information or training from the graduate school itself.

Finishing my MBA this year and hoping for a new job. Doing a part-time program and full-time job and it's killer, never had a 9-5/40-hr week job.

A 3.5 GPA is fine, especially for a quant-heavy major. Admission committees (adcoms) sometimes worry if potential students can handle the math of 1st year courses and your education puts that to rest. I do know that some adcoms can be a little weird about accountants so I would definitely stress the corporate finance side of your work experience. Speaking of which you're in about the sweet spot as far as work experience is concerned. With a decent GMAT and story, an elite MBA is within arm's reach imo.

Good to know. My issue is that my job title is called accounting analyst but the work I do is highly related to business analysis, cost structuring, production analysis, etc. Hopefully they don't get caught up in the job title.

Do you have any advice on full time vs. part time? My dream school is UCLA, and they have solid program in both... It's hard for me to swallow the idea of quitting my job and having no income for two years.

terrisus

As a random note, I don't know how common this is, but, I didn't have to take any examinations (GRE or what-have-you) to get into a Master's program (and I actually attended two different universities during my Master's - transferred a couple of semesters in, to get into a program that was a better fit for me - and neither of them required it).

Only thing I can really think of is that, since my Master's was in Education, that since there are already a set of teacher licensure tests that are required to be passed, they figured that was enough.

Honestly kind of disappointing if anything, considering I've always done fine on tests. For the teacher licensure tests, I finished half-way through the time we were given and was the first one done. And I passed on my first attempt, while plenty of other people I know had to take them multiple times. But, I guess, if nothing else, it was less money to have to put out for tests, so, that's something.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
As a random note, I don't know how common this is, but, I didn't have to take any examinations (GRE or what-have-you) to get into a Master's program (and I actually attended two different universities during my Master's - transferred a couple of semesters in, to get into a program that was a better fit for me - and neither of them required it).

Only thing I can really think of is that, since my Master's was in Education, that since there are already a set of teacher licensure tests that are required to be passed, they figured that was enough.

Honestly kind of disappointing if anything, considering I've always done fine on tests. For the teacher licensure tests, I finished half-way through the time we were given and was the first one done. And I passed on my first attempt, while plenty of other people I know had to take them multiple times. But, I guess, if nothing else, it was less money to have to put out for tests, so, that's something.

It probably depends on the state since I had to take my GRE, along with Praxis 1 and 2.
Did terrible on the GRE, the praxis exams on the other hand I slept-walked through and still crushed.

Totakeke

I think they're getting better at making those optional but some schools still require you to do a lot of stuffs just for to apply. It seems that most schools now don't require you to mail official transcripts or even send official GRE scores until you're admitted. A few years ago you had to send all that officially which means money and effort into tracking if all those went through. There was also one school I was looking at that required another 160 dollars to use a transcript translation service for international students just to apply to their school so I just gave that up.

terrisus

It probably depends on the state since I had to take my GRE, along with Praxis 1 and 2.
Did terrible on the GRE, the praxis exams on the other hand I slept-walked through and still crushed.

Massachusetts.
And, of course, Massachusetts also has their own specific teacher licensure tests - the MTELs - as opposed to using the Praxis like the majority of other states.

Mii

Banned
A 3.5 GPA is fine, especially for a quant-heavy major. Admission committees (adcoms) sometimes worry if potential students can handle the math of 1st year courses and your education puts that to rest. I do know that some adcoms can be a little weird about accountants so I would definitely stress the corporate finance side of your work experience. Speaking of which you're in about the sweet spot as far as work experience is concerned. With a decent GMAT and story, an elite MBA is within arm's reach imo.

I'm coming from a Big 4 background (2.5 years audit, 1.5 years business valuation consulting by matriculation) with a 3.6 GPA in finance and accounting from a top 30 undergrad, a 740 GMAT, a CPA, and a CFA level III exam candidate. I feel like getting in is a huge uphill battle for me because of the time in audit. Unless you're a female minority, I feel its easy for adcom to dismiss an auditor's application.

The hearsay is that adcoms don't like how auditors 'think' and aren't particularly interested in the work experiences auditors have had within the first 4-6 years of their careers. Also, the problem is compounded by the sheer number of people in the Big 4 nationwide, many of which are interested in getting an MBA. Whenever my time in audit comes up, I feel I need to dance around it very, very carefully.

So far I've had 3 school interview offers, and I'm waiting to hear back from 2. I chose schools across the spectrum of the top 15. I'll update this post when I know final results.

ShutEye

I have an MSc in Econ. Currently doing job hunting in London.

I've given this suggestion before but those who are in the consideration stage should do as much research on jobs they want to end up in as to the actual school itself. Interview as many people as possible.

are mbas worth it if you're not going somewhere like wharton or similar tier schools

i know a couple who are interested in getting one but it seems like its a case of diminishing returns if you're not going to the best of the best

I have my PhD in bio, currently slaving away as a postdoc. Looking for industry jobs.

What area of Biology are you focusing on? It's such a broad field, so I'm curious. I'm in my 3rd year of my PhD studying biomolecular engineering; basically, microbiology, but I engineer microbes to make chemicals.

I think, one issue with a broad "graduate/MBA/doctorate" thread is there is a huge variance between each group. An MBA is nothing like a PhD in materials engineering which is nothing like a Master's in English. Not to say that one is harder/better/worse than the other, just that there is huge variance in regards to what is needed to complete each degree.

For example, I took about 10 courses for my PhD. Finished them up within my first 3 semesters. Ever since then, I don't take courses, I just conduct research and publish papers. I think MBAs are basically the opposite; 95% coursework with maybe a 5% emphasis (maybe 0%?) on conducting research of any sort. Because of this variance, it's tough for me to give accurate advice for someone seeking an MBA, just like someone with an MBA is unlikely to give great insight to someone wanting their PhD in astrobiology.

Certainly, I am not trying to threadcrap, just proposing a theory as to why threads like this haven't really succeeded in the past. I'd love to have an active/on-going thread like this though, so let's see how it goes. Also, if anyone here wants to PM me for specific advice or would like me to review any of their application materials as they prepare to apply for graduate school, I'm happy to help; I review application materials for every undergraduate in my lab to give them a helping hand towards their graduate career.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
General. Sorry, I'm in a bit of an anger tonight because I can't for the life of me concentrate on the reading comprehension section. ARGH.

Reading comprehension is fairly easy. Take it slow. The most difficult is the question type that asks you to role of the highlighted passage; in general neither the most specific possible answer nor the most general possible answer will be correct. Go for something around the middle. And for each choice ask yourself is "is this 100% something that matches the text, or could they find a way to mark me wrong by picking this?".
I got a 170 on the verbal portion of the GRE

Good to know. My issue is that my job title is called accounting analyst but the work I do is highly related to business analysis, cost structuring, production analysis, etc. Hopefully they don't get caught up in the job title.

Do you have any advice on full time vs. part time? My dream school is UCLA, and they have solid program in both... It's hard for me to swallow the idea of quitting my job and having no income for two years.

Well your degree will just say UCLA MBA, regardless of whether you go part or full time. That said, you miss out on much of the networking, much of the on-campus recruiting and much of the events with corporations. Depending on how strong your applications are, you could be looking at scholarships from schools so it's to your benefit to apply to a range of schools that interest you and shop around your offers. That would help with the financial burden. And schools have the money, I'm no Einstein and I got a full ride.

I'm coming from a Big 4 background (2.5 years audit, 1.5 years business valuation consulting by matriculation) with a 3.6 GPA in finance and accounting from a top 30 undergrad, a 740 GMAT, a CPA, and a CFA level III exam candidate. I feel like getting in is a huge uphill battle for me because of the time in audit. Unless you're a female minority, I feel its easy for adcom to dismiss an auditor's application.

The hearsay is that adcoms don't like how auditors 'think' and aren't particularly interested in the work experiences auditors have had within the first 4-6 years of their careers. Also, the problem is compounded by the sheer number of people in the Big 4 nationwide, many of which are interested in getting an MBA. Whenever my time in audit comes up, I feel I need to dance around it very, very carefully.

So far I've had 3 school interview offers, and I'm waiting to hear back from 2. I chose schools across the spectrum of the top 15. I'll update this post when I know final results.

Outside of maybe Kellogg at Northwestern (which attempts to interview all applicants), if you're getting interviewed at the top schools then you're in good shape. The conversion rates vary but for schools that are selective about who they initially interview, it can be north of 40-50%.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Getting a M.S. in CS. Its ok i guess. I'm not exactly able to get to the stuff I want to learn. I might get another masters degree in Computational Science or Applied statistics.

Drey1082

I'm graduating from a top 5 MBA program this Spring. I'd be happy to answer any questions about admissions processes if people have them.

Some somewhat subjective advice:

• Go to the best school you can get into, regardless of cost. The ROI for the top schools is historically impressive. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but the consensus is that employers really only value MBA degrees from top 10 programs. This may sound harsh, but if you can't get into a top program, I would seriously reconsider getting the MBA, and go with a more specialized degree/ certification option.
  • Once you get in, take full advantage of the Career center at your school.
  • Get involved in as much as you can. This goes with the previous advice. Network your ass off. Studying and working hard is important, but networking and taking advantage of opportunities is much more valuable. Remember the goal is to get a good job. Getting good grades, while a factor in getting a good job, is really a very small factor. MBA grades are somewhat meaningless. If you get into a top MBA program, employers know you're intelligent. They now want to see how you work with others and if were you involved and outgoing.
  • If you're worried about getting in, look into part-time opportunities and weigh the pros and cons. Part-time programs are typically a little easier to get into and you still get the same degree. You also don't have the massive opportunity cost of not working for 2 years. Some employers even offer some sort of tuition reimbursement. However, be advised that the recruiting opportunities for part-time are usually limited. If you're looking to switch careers, part-time can be rough. Also, play close attention to the stipulations that go along with tuition reimbursement, it can be quite hampering once you get out of school.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. I loved my MBA experience. While it is a lot of work, it has been extremely rewarding and has provided me with a lot of opportunities I would not have otherwise had.

I'm graduating from a top 5 MBA program this Spring. I'd be happy to answer any questions about admissions processes if people have them.

Some somewhat subjective advice:

• Go to the best school you can get into, regardless of cost. The ROI for the top schools is historically impressive. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but the consensus is that employers really only value MBA degrees from top 10 programs. This may sound harsh, but if you can't get into a top program, I would seriously reconsider getting the MBA, and go with a more specialized degree/ certification option.
  • Once you get in, take full advantage of the Career center at your school.
  • Get involved in as much as you can. This goes with the previous advice. Network your ass off. Studying and working hard is important, but networking and taking advantage of opportunities is much more valuable. Remember the goal is to get a good job. Getting good grades, while a factor in getting a good job, is really a very small factor. MBA grades are somewhat meaningless. If you get into a top MBA program, employers know you're intelligent. They now want to see how you work with others and if were you involved and outgoing.
  • If you're worried about getting in, look into part-time opportunities and weigh the pros and cons. Part-time programs are typically a little easier to get into and you still get the same degree. You also don't have the massive opportunity cost of not working for 2 years. Some employers even offer some sort of tuition reimbursement. However, be advised that the recruiting opportunities for part-time are usually limited. If you're looking to switch careers, part-time can be rough. Also, play close attention to the stipulations that go along with tuition reimbursement, it can be quite hampering once you get out of school.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. I loved my MBA experience. While it is a lot of work, it has been extremely rewarding and has provided me with a lot of opportunities I would not have otherwise had.

I'll avoid using a PM because I think any responses can be helpful for the group.

- How do you feel about your first comment without a significant savings plan in place? As in I've been in my professional career for close to three years now, however my extra income has gone mostly to existing debt (undergrad/car). By the time I want to go to get an MBA I plan on having this completely paid off (should be done within the next year and a half), however my actual savings is very limited and will not last long. Going into a full time program with no financial support and no incoming income scares the fuck out of me.

- Absolutely. I think people should do this even in their undergrad. It's scary how few people actually utilize what a school provides them. You're paying for this shit people.

- This is what I'm afraid of from the part time perspective. The networking ability seems to drop off a cliff compared to the full time opportunities. If I do go to get an MBA I want to leverage it to switch industries, and I'm afraid a part time will not offer this and will just leave me with where I am but with the ability to negotiate higher promotion.

- Kind of goes into my previous comment, if I'm looking to switch industries, how likely is that with a part time program? Today I could probably easily convince my employer to relocate me to where I want to go for part time (UCLA), and they would pay around $15K, but I wouldn't plan on staying with them in the long term. I want to switch to media/entertainment which is why LA is my target geographically... if I did the part time route would it make more sense to attempt to get a new job with an employer I want and then plan on going to get a part time MBA?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Purexed

Banned
Go to the best school you can get into, regardless of cost.

Could not disagree more, while I will not dispute a top program will make employers sit up a little straighter, you can absolutely get a great graduate degree without acquiring a 6-figure student loan debt in the process.

When looking at M.A. Communications programs, I gave serious consideration to USC in Southern Cal, but the tuition for the 2 year program was over 120K. Ended up proceeding with Gonzaga University, a private Jesuit university based out of Washington for a third of what USC was asking for.

My experience was great and the degree earned me consideration and ultimately an offer at one of the top management consulting firms in the country.

Moral of the story is that you don't need to overspend for the sexy name schools when there are a number of excellent options that are not obscenely overpriced.

Could not disagree more, while I will not dispute a top program will make employers sit up a little straighter, you can absolutely get a great graduate degree without acquiring a 6-figure student loan debt in the process.

When looking at M.A. Communications programs, I gave serious consideration to USC in Southern Cal, but the tuition for the 2 year program was over 120K. Ended up proceeding with Gonzaga University, a private Jesuit university based out of Washington for a third of what USC was asking for.

My experience was great and the degree earned me consideration and ultimately an offer at one of the top management consulting firms in the country.

Moral of the story is that you don't need to overspend for the sexy name schools when there are a number of excellent options that are not obscenely overpriced.

To be fair, Drey was talking about MBA programs specifically, not Masters degrees in general. I'm actually still in agreement with you, but just wanted to point out the minor difference.

Purexed

Banned
To be fair, Drey was talking about MBA programs specifically, not Masters degrees in general. I'm actually still in agreement with you, but just wanted to point out the minor difference.

Yup, I know he was talking B-schools, just used my own personal anecdote to broaden the conversion as folks were looking into multiple avenues in this same thread.

Drey1082

My comment was specific to MBA programs. I'm definitely not speaking to graduate programs in general.

taylor910

QFT.

I got my MBA from an "unranked" but respectable school, got it 100% paid for through scholarships, and have reaped the benefits from day one.

Colleagues actually bring it up somewhat regularly that I have an MBA, but no one asks or cares where I got it. Of course this is only my experience, but I had the chance to go to a ranked program and turned it down due to the cost. Turned out really beneficial for me.

Drey1082

I'll avoid using a PM because I think any responses can be helpful for the group.

- How do you feel about your first comment without a significant savings plan in place? As in I've been in my professional career for close to three years now, however my extra income has gone mostly to existing debt (undergrad/car). By the time I want to go to get an MBA I plan on having this completely paid off (should be done within the next year and a half), however my actual savings is very limited and will not last long. Going into a full time program with no financial support and no incoming income scares the fuck out of me.

- Absolutely. I think people should do this even in their undergrad. It's scary how few people actually utilize what a school provides them. You're paying for this shit people.

- This is what I'm afraid of from the part time perspective. The networking ability seems to drop off a cliff compared to the full time opportunities. If I do go to get an MBA I want to leverage it to switch industries, and I'm afraid a part time will not offer this and will just leave me with where I am but with the ability to negotiate higher promotion.

- Kind of goes into my previous comment, if I'm looking to switch industries, how likely is that with a part time program? Today I could probably easily convince my employer to relocate me to where I want to go for part time (UCLA), and they would pay around $15K, but I wouldn't plan on staying with them in the long term. I want to switch to media/entertainment which is why LA is my target geographically... if I did the part time route would it make more sense to attempt to get a new job with an employer I want and then plan on going to get a part time MBA?

Thanks for everyone's help.

This is hard to answer, as everyone's situations are quite different, but personally, I still think it's worth it regardless of your current savings level to accept an offer to a top MBA program. If your concerned about savings, a lot of good programs offer part-time and and Saturday options.

However, as you're looking at career switching, i would very much try to do full time. Even if your savings are scarce, you always have options for loans (not idea) and other things to help you get by for the two years, and if you're in a top program, you should be good for jobs when you get out.

With a little less than 3 years work experience, you're on the low end for most top programs. I would try to get a few more years in the real world under your belt. Focus on making yourself a strong candidate and and saving in those years, and then look into applying. Be wary of employment reimbursement. Every little bit helps, but it's very unlikely that there wouldn't be a stipulation attached that you will have to stay with that organization for some time after graduation, typically a couple years. For a career switcher, that's going to be a major issue when you graduate.

Drey1082

QFT.

I got my MBA from an "unranked" but respectable school, got it 100% paid for through scholarships, and have reaped the benefits from day one.

Colleagues actually bring it up somewhat regularly that I have an MBA, but no one asks or cares where I got it. Of course this is only my experience, but I had the chance to go to a ranked program and turned it down due to the cost. Turned out really beneficial for me.

I'm not saying that you can't be successful outside the top programs. All i'm saying is that under normal circumstances, I personally would try to stick to top schools only. Of course having a full scholarship somewhere is definitely a major factor in any decision, and it appears you made the right one.

Tyreny

Graduated from NYU Stern with my MBA last year. Went part time for 2.5 years and networked a job change to a Fortune 50 company midway through the program.

GMAT is BS, get 700+ and forget it. GPA was 3.5 from a public university with a B.S. in Finance. I interviewed for full time at Duke, UNC, Chicago and Cornell before my situation changed and part time made more sense at NYU.

Its really all about networking. Made a bunch of friends that I will have for years to come, all of which are spread across various functions and industries. We partied in NYC every weekend and made a couple overnight trips to Atlantic City. I learned a lot and thoroughly enjoyed the classes but the content there pales in value to the network I made.

This is hard to answer, as everyone's situations are quite different, but personally, I still think it's worth it regardless of your current savings level to accept an offer to a top MBA program. If your concerned about savings, a lot of good programs offer part-time and and Saturday options.

However, as you're looking at career switching, i would very much try to do full time. Even if your savings are scarce, you always have options for loans (not idea) and other things to help you get by for the two years, and if you're in a top program, you should be good for jobs when you get out.

With a little less than 3 years work experience, you're on the low end for most top programs. I would try to get a few more years in the real world under your belt. Focus on making yourself a strong candidate and and saving in those years, and then look into applying. Be wary of employment reimbursement. Every little bit helps, but it's very unlikely that there wouldn't be a stipulation attached that you will have to stay with that organization for some time after graduation, typically a couple years. For a career switcher, that's going to be a major issue when you graduate.

Yeah I would actually be going after having 4+ years of experience just wanting to take the test now. Loans of that size, and in a city as expensive as LA is a crazy thought. I'd be taking my girlfriend with too and I hate the idea of having to throw her into basically college style living again. Again you don't think it's viable to consider applying to companies I'm interested before the MBA program --> hopefully get a job --> move --> then enroll in a part time?

As for my current company they would require me to stay with them for one year after which isn't too terrible.

Graduated from NYU Stern with my MBA last year. Went part time for 2.5 years and networked a job change to a Fortune 50 company midway through the program.

GMAT is BS, get 700+ and forget it. GPA was 3.5 from a public university with a B.S. in Finance. I interviewed for full time at Duke, UNC, Chicago and Cornell before my situation changed and part time made more sense at NYU.

Its really all about networking. Made a bunch of friends that I will have for years to come, all of which are spread across various functions and industries. We partied in NYC every weekend and made a couple overnight trips to Atlantic City. I learned a lot and thoroughly enjoyed the classes but the content there pales in value to the network I made.

Your background sounds a shit ton like me. We're you broke in NYC though? Are you carrying a ton of loans now? How do you feel about network opportunities in a part time program?

Tyreny

Your background sounds a shit ton like me. We're you broke in NYC though? Are you carrying a ton of loans now? How do you feel about network opportunities in a part time program?

I lived in DC before business school (the situation changing to make part time more sensible involved a new job in NYC) and made decent/good money for a 25 year old. I paid 30k out of pocket before I got the new job, and the new company paid for the rest (~70k). I had the money saved up to cover most of the cost in advance so I ended up buying a house instead of spending it on school.

Part time program network opportunities are much more "tangible" in the sense that everyone is already working so the contacts mean much more right now than they do in a full time program where everyone is anticipating employment a year or two out. The major difference with a part time program is that you have to create the networking opportunities. People don't all live near the school and they have lives outside of class. I found taking weekend classes to be a great way to facilitate networking since we could get a happy hour or something going after class. On weekdays at night when class is out around 10pm everyone scatters pronto. If you put in the time, part time is 100% as effective as full time for networking and job search. Look at it as the balancing out the benefit that you can still work and earn money throughout the program. I would do part time again (versus FT) if I had the chance.

Mii

Banned
This thread seems to pop up whenever I'm doing something for my MBA journey. Just had my NYU Stern interview, very conversational and light, no behavioral questions. Training back up to Boston in an hour.

entremet

I've been considering an MBA, but man it is pricey. I'm debt free now and have been studying books--Personal MBA, but the networking thing is priceless and you can't get that from books.

My fears is that best opportunities are full time and getting out of the work force for two years, plus I'm 33 now. No spring chicken, so I don't how good it would look getting out of the workforce at my age for too years.

I fear doing an executive program since the networking is limited.

I'm a software trainer now and while I like my job, I'm finding it hard to advance.

Anyone had similar concerns?

taylor910

I'm not saying that you can't be successful outside the top programs. All i'm saying is that under normal circumstances, I personally would try to stick to top schools only. Of course having a full scholarship somewhere is definitely a major factor in any decision, and it appears you made the right one.

No worries, just sharing my experience as well. Wanted to bring scholarships into the conversation because I felt it was relevant.

Mii

Banned
I've been considering an MBA, but man it is pricey. I'm debt free now and have been studying books--Personal MBA, but the networking thing is priceless and you can't get that from books.

My fears is that best opportunities are full time and getting out of the work force for two years, plus I'm 33 now. No spring chicken, so I don't how good it would look getting out of the workforce at my age for too years.

I fear doing an executive program since the networking is limited.

I'm a software trainer now and while I like my job, I'm finding it hard to advance.

Anyone had similar concerns?

Unfortunately, many schools steer people that are 30+ away from full time MBA programs. It is harder to convince schools your prior work experience fits for 'pre-MBA'.

Once you're 28, it gets harder each additional year to get in.

EMBAs become the ideal at that point. They're gaining more and more in respect too.

nick nacc

Banned
Awesome dude! What area?

I'm in my third year of a neuroscience phd, really don't wanna teach so I may be setting myself up badly but we'll see

I quite after a year, I picked a terrible professor to be under. I was essentially a glorified lab manager of SPSS. For primate behavior test, dont 40 years ago. I loved the coursework, and who know what would have happened if I was under something more interesting to me, but it's probably too late to go back. You can always go into consulting if you don't like research or teaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom