• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
I can understand complaints about Dark Souls 2 as I think it's the weakest of the entire series and by far but I had no issues with Dark Souls 3. I kinda get what you're talking about but my main problem with Lords isn't something abstract and subjective like the "soul" or whatever, it's that it screws up the execution basically across the board.

I wouldn't say that I hated it but I just used a glitch to beat the final boss on NG++ to get the last 3 achievements and I don't even feel bad about it. I'm just fucking glad to be done with it at this point. If I had stopped after NG, I probably would've come out of it feeling more positive about it. The game is at its worst when it tries to be challenging because it's pretty fucked up mechanically. The last few hours of NG++ soured me on the entire thing pretty hard.
i guess u just dislike a part of it then

i found it fundamentally unlikable like an hour in, on top of having a really clunky combat model and never played it past that

also i disagree about dark souls 2, i like it WAY more than dark souls 3

FLD

i found it fundamentally unlikable like an hour in, on top of having a really clunky combat model and never played it past that

Well, I clearly enjoyed it enough to play it 3 times, yeah. :p Although I don't think I would have bothered if it wasn't so short. You can rush through it in like ~6 hours on NG+. Like, all together it still took less time than my first playthrough of Dark Souls.

Dr.Acula

Banned
LiS has an interesting start. Max's ability should allow for an interesting take on this type of game.

I find with a lot of these adventure games, you want to say something, but the prompts don't convey intonation or sometimes don't match what the character actually says. So someone accuses you of stealing and there's "I did it" or "I didn't do it" but you end up saying "I did it, so now I'll have to kill you," or "I didn't do it and you'll never prove otherwise!" Like, damn. So there's a temptation sometimes to reload a save.

With LiS, rewinding is built in, so you can go through an entire scene and rewind back three or four conversations. In fact, that's the design of the game. So if something from a chapter ago comes back, I can live with it, it's the "oh shoot, I didn't mean to say that just now" factor in games like these that I hate.

So I'm actually worried about LiS2, because I feel like save-scumming might come back if there's no way around the loss of rewind.

wait what

my steam just suddenly played an mp3

There's an MP3 client, you probably hit three keys at once and launched the shortcut accidentally.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well, I clearly enjoyed it enough to play it 3 times, yeah. :p Although I don't think I would have bothered if it wasn't so short. You can rush through it in like ~6 hours on NG+. Like, all together it still took less time than my first playthrough of Dark Souls.
maybe u should focus ur opinion of the game more then?

like, "i thought the main game was fine, but it doesn't hold up in ng+ and ng++ cos of the way they scale up difficulty"

or something

LiS has an interesting start. Max's ability should allow for an interesting take on this type of game.

yeah, sort of

they don't make really good use of it, sadly

it's cool how it makes you feel like an asshole for trying out different answers and kind of manipulating people

i like that

shockdude

I think it'd be interesting if the Steam client was modularized, with specific features implemented as addons.
Instead of having MP3 support built-in, implement MP3 support as an addon.
Support user-created addons for e.g. automatic categorization, random game pickers, skins, etc.
This could also enable things like Enhanced Steam in the client.

FLD

maybe u should focus ur opinion of the game more then?

like, "i thought the main game was fine, but it doesn't hold up in ng+ and ng++ cos of the way they scale up difficulty"

or something

I don't really see what difference it makes. Just because the issues weren't fully exacerbated until the second and third runs doesn't mean they weren't there to begin with. I mean, it's not like I thought the game was a flawless masterpiece the first time through. NG++ is just where it reached the breaking point.

canadian dollar is slowly creeping up. Waiting until it stops before I buy anything, even on sale.

side note. killing floor is the first game I am letting idle in the background while I am doing something else. Even If I get games in genres I have no interest in through random promotions, I still play them until I get all the cards at least. After 1 hour .7 I only had 1 card and I dont want to be bored for another 6 hours.

Sarcasm

Dark Souls 2 isn't a bad game, but it ain't the best. Too many small annoyances to me that made (is making) the game unenjoyable for me.

I got to harvest valley and haven't gone back in (mainly because better things to play).

Nilua

(I've been lurking this thread for so long, I ain't used to the fact I have an account now, so, hey!)

Any of you guys can help me? My family sharing with a friend is deactivating by itself very frequently, any light in what may be causing it? It's a hassle to re-do the whole thing... Maybe something I'm doing with my PC causes steam to stop recognizing it? If so, what could it be?

Regginator

Any particular reason for this? It's all subjective of course, but you'd think in terms of art design, combat fluidity, overall gameplay polish, etc. etc. III has II beat...

Dark Souls 2 is better than bloodbore

lol

Even with those garbage laggy ass controls Bloodborne still shits on DS2 free. The level design is focused and the bosses and other major encounters are tough and well thought out. I know it's the Steam thread though and for some reason DS2 is the best around these parts but just... no.

I could maybe see an argument for it as the best Souls if SotFS removed ADP and Soul Memory and fixed the hitboxes, but they did none of those things and just added a bunch of Pursuer. 'Build variety' amirite :lol

kagamin

I still really don't like Dark Souls 3 for doing away with some of my favorite features from Dark Souls 2, really soured me that the game felt too much like the original too without adding too much. Dark Souls 3 PVP was just not very fun at all except for the small amount of time I spend screwing around with the special ability of the caestus, and that hurt my opinion of it too.

After 30 hours, I just found out that I've failed Yuria and Anri questline in Dark Souls III.

Looking at
Anri's corpse
in the catacomb made me lost my will to continue the game.. :(

I still really don't like Dark Souls 3 for doing away with some of my favorite features from Dark Souls 2, really soured me that the game felt too much like the original too without adding too much. Dark Souls 3 PVP was just not very fun at all except for the small amount of time I spend screwing around with the special ability of the caestus, and that hurt my opinion of it too.
I've literally never had fun in any Souls game with PvP. Shit is a laggy unusable mess.

I've literally never had fun in any Souls game with PvP. Shit is a laggy unusable mess.

It was pretty decent in Demons (Blessed Mirdan Hammer build aside), then a disaster in every game since. Bloodborne PvP is Lords of the Fallen tier.

But yea PvP is not why I play Souls. Solo and co-op are both fun, but srs bsnss PvP is so stupid in a game with so much latency. Ganking tryhard invaders is pretty fun with friends though :D

lol

Even with those garbage laggy ass controls Bloodborne still shits on DS2 free. The level design is focused and the bosses and other major encounters are tough and well thought out. I know it's the Steam thread though and for some reason DS2 is the best around these parts but just... no.

I could maybe see an argument for it as the best Souls if SotFS removed ADP and Soul Memory and fixed the hitboxes, but they did none of those things and just added a bunch of Pursuer. 'Build variety' amirite :lol

I'd take smooth, responsive controls of any PC Souls over Bloodborne everytime.

30fps and everything comes with it (including console exclusive framepacing) is the sole reason why I still couldn't finish Bloodborne.

It's not enjoyable at all.

Pretty much eveeryone fails that quest the first time unless you're using a guide

I think my heart is broken. Only Sirris is left for me. I'll make sure I don't fail it this time.

kagamin

It was pretty decent in Demons (Blessed Mirdan Hammer build aside), then a disaster in every game since. Bloodborne PvP is Lords of the Fallen tier.

But yea PvP is not why I play Souls. Solo and co-op are both fun, but srs bsnss PvP is so stupid in a game with so much latency. Ganking tryhard invaders is pretty fun with friends though :D

Damn, I loved winning 1v3s in the OG release, that was the most fun I had in Dark Souls 2, arena was pretty eh. Sometimes it got crazy when the host started summoning more people as I killed the first two summons though lol.

3C6BF8BE8A019DA8D7E7C0A424143999F31A2CA9

SOLO DINNER BOYS

zkylon

zkylewd
we had a cool conversation at work about two of my favorite games today, dark souls and thief, and it was weird trying to explain them to people that never played them and were asking me for similar games to offer as an example

for dark souls the best examples i could find were castlevania and metroid, but i'm not super pleased with those responses, specially metroid. i wanted to say ultima underworld but no way they had played that

for thief i just said it's like metal gear but "..." and had to list a billion things just to make my point accross of how water arrows were revolutionary lol

I don't really see what difference it makes. Just because the issues weren't fully exacerbated until the second and third runs doesn't mean they weren't there to begin with. I mean, it's not like I thought the game was a flawless masterpiece the first time through. NG++ is just where it reached the breaking point.

the game breaking down at ng++ doesn't necessarily mean it has issues going all the way to ng, maybe it's the way the difficulty scales and that only shows up in ng+ and up

but if u say those issues were there in ng then by all means feel free to express it however u want

Dark Souls 2 isn't a bad game, but it ain't the best. Too many small annoyances to me that made (is making) the game unenjoyable for me.

I got to harvest valley and haven't gone back in (mainly because better things to play).
it ain't the best for sure, far from it.

i'll def agree to that

Any particular reason for this? It's all subjective of course, but you'd think in terms of art design, combat fluidity, overall gameplay polish, etc. etc. III has II beat...
mostly i felt like dark souls 3 was a really unambitious game, a refinement of a formula in a series in which mystery is a key element and so following a formula feels like a huge sin to commit

you can see this in the story being really fanservice-y and unoriginal, the arbitrary reusing of assets of previous games, in how they made the game almost completely linear which makes it a really boring game to replay, in how the dlc feels like they were just fulfilling a commitment rather than looking to elevate the game further.

dark souls 2 tried some shit tho. not all worked, but they did. they did stuff like the covenant of champions, they added warping from the start of the game and made a hub area that really grew and changed with time, they did weird shit with being able to respawn bosses and make areas more difficult with bonfire ascetics, they added power stance which let you do silly weapon combinations (like two great sycthes lol) rather than having from decide those for you, they had torches, wacky npc invaders, multiplayer oriented bosses, the fragrant branches of yore that made progression feel really directed by the player, it had an actually original story with all new characters and lore, the dlc was actually really inspired and some of the best level design from has ever done, etc.

dark souls 3 had patches
wearing a siegmeyer outfit
, dark souls 2 just had mild mannered pate. you can say mild-mannered pate is less interesting than patches, but i appreciate that he's a new take on the idea of patches and that it challenges your expectations of the character. while patches in dark souls 3 is basically patches from dark souls 1, mild mannered pate is completely different and his storyline is actually really interesting and unique

i feel that sums up why i really like dark souls 2, while i mostly have a negative view of dark souls 3, despite it having the best combat model in the series and all that. and dark souls 2 has like a freaking spider dungeon so you know i feel really strongly about it

After 30 hours, I just found out that I've failed Yuria and Anri questline in Dark Souls III.

Looking at
Anri's corpse
in the catacomb made me lost my will to continue the game.. :(
yeah i've failed it on my first playthrough as well

don't worry, it's not very interesting even if you don't lol

i agree, but i actually had A TON of fun with dark souls 2 multiplayer, specially helping people out in bosses and darkmoon covenant

fuck the bellbros

It'll always be zyklon in my head.

that's cool but i'd rather if u didn't call me that

kagamin

Bellbros were hilarious, I waited in the iron keep one right at the end of the zone and waited for them to come out and messed with them.

Teeth

dark souls 3 had patches
wearing a siegmeyer outfit
, dark souls 2 just had mild mannered pate. you can say mild-mannered pate is less interesting than patches, but i appreciate that he's a new take on the idea of patches and that it challenges your expectations of the character. while patches in dark souls 3 is basically patches from dark souls 1, mild mannered pate is completely different and his storyline is actually really interesting and unique

Interesting to note: Patches is in Bloodborne as well, and he does the exact same thing to you that he does in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

He's basically become the Cid of Miyazaki Souls games.

Javier23

Banned
Lies. Cleve will still find some bugs and start another pass of fixing issues and evading questions. Grimoire is too good for a release.
Yup.

I honestly think this might be how this game has stayed relevant for this long, different sites becoming aware of its existence at different times. People trust these release dates no longer than two or three times, but that already gives Clive enough steam to keep going with his little joke. How many release dates has Grimoire had by now? Two dozen? I went through this years ago when I first learned of it and it was about to finally be released for real. But since GAF just became aware of its existence it's gonna take another couple of those before people here get what's going on.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I pronounce it zeke. As in "now ole zeke was in a heap a' trouble" and then a folk ballad.

zkylon

zkylewd
AFVAL6K.png

daily god eater update

story finally starting to take shape, a very generic and dumb shape, but progress nonetheless and i appreciate that. still basically walking away from the game to tidy up things or draw or something whenever there's a cutscene, but i'm getting the jist of it. not skipping them outright cos i still like taking screenshots and making fun of it hehe

outside of that, the combat is starting to wear on me. repetitiveness is a problem but the game gets its loot hooks on you and you're basically just mindlessly going through the motions and the game throws you a bone every now and then with a new enemy type or some new upgrade or whatever

problem right now and i can't remember if this was present for all the game or it just became a really common ocurrency now is enemy attack knockback making me feel like i'm being pinballed all over the place with very little control. animation priority makes this really bad cos some weapons are really slow while enemy attacks are really fast and often hard to see with how shitty the camera is. and when a mission asks you to kill two enemies that are next to each other, this problem exacerbates tenfold.

some missions are pretty frustrating so i ended up closing the thing down with feelings of quitting

will see how i feel tomorrow but it might be time i move on and our red glasses heroine maybe just goes into early retirement

Interesting to note: Patches is in Bloodborne as well, and he does the exact same thing to you that he does in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

He's basically become the Cid of Miyazaki Souls games.
i mean, to me that represented the whole difference between dks2 and dks3

mild mannered pate isn't super different from patches, but it's from trying something new, to questionable success

dks3 patches is good old patches, and he fulfills his role but doesn't really go beyond it. it's from playing it safe

that's basically dks2 and dks3 in a nutshell and reason why i love dks2 while i find dks3 kind of forgettable

How is zkylon meant to be pronounced? zz-kai-lon?

not responding to this cos i'm having fun reading all the theories hehe

data

Do people actually take the time to make individual pictures for all 10k achievements or do they have some automated process?

redlacs

Do people actually take the time to make individual pictures for all 10k achievements or do they have some automated process?

no idea, but in that particular case it seems like 1250 pictures with 8 different color variations. not exactly complicated images, too

e4f1e952ab67b8fe3dc4480e0d09ea0068ed2fa9.jpg
afa992c9f73102e2585fe4a0f40637b1d0074ec6.jpg
50350264f48403faa03eb4ca8bb864709c01699d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom