• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix plans to spend $8 billion to make its library 50 percent original by 2018

llien

Pissing off studios they are.

On the other hand, Disney just pulled out, they have to plan for "what if others do".

UrbanRats

Didn't like most of their original stuff, but I get the reasoning.

As I said though, VPN crackdown really killed a lot of Netflix's value for me.

I'll say, hopefully they focus more on shows than movies, in general.

Keep removing stuff from your service and eventually you will hit 50% original content without spending a dime.
They don't remove content. The license for the content ends and either the content owners rise up the price to ridiculous amounts or they just keep them to themselves for their own subscription service.
Netflix hasn't stopped trying to get new shows, they have international deals for a few CW shows like Riverdale, Dynasty, Supergirl and The Flash that allows them to put the episodes out weekly.
They had a major deal with Disney but then Disney announced that they are doing their own subscription service so there's no chance in getting that content back after 2019.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Put that much anime directly into my veins please, I mean, more Little Witch Academia and less Neo Shit.

They already are. Among other brand new IP's we're getting a new Baki the Grappler anime, a new Saint Seiya series, a Godzilla anime, and of course Devilman with Yuasa directing.

KingV

But most of their original content is not good, in my opinion. Netflix that has nothing from regular tv or cable holds no interest to me.

Bendeavor

Neo Member
I can't say I'm looking forward to that at all. Outside of American Vandals, Bojack Horseman, Stranger Things, and Daredevil S1, I haven't really liked their original content.

Blader

Good thing Hulu has stepped up their licensed tv and movie library then. Their selection has gotten really good practically overnight as Netflix keeps bleeding non-original titles.

ty_hot

I remember 2 years ago when I was talking to a friend and we came to the conclusion that the way netflix was creating more and more original series, there would come a time where we would have a new series every 2 weeks so that you would be absolutely attached to their service and could never leave it. They have the quantity, they need to keep the quality up now.

Series I watch from them:

House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Designated Survivor (i think this is on TV as well?), Las Chicas del Cable, GLOW (that's an amazing show featuring Zoya the destroya), Abstract, Narcos, Chef's Table, Chef's Table France, Stranger Things, Sense8, Black Mirror, Master of None, Ozark, Orphan Black, Lilyhammer (one of their very first original stuff, watched it many years ago! its a great show to watch after a hard day at work - I still need to watch the last season though), River, Making a murderer, Bloodline

that's 19 series already, if I watch one season every 3 weeks I have my whole year covered. The more the better.

Lifeline

This. A 10 episode season of Game of thrones cost $100 million. They paid Dave Chappelle $60 million for 3 comedy specials. WTF! They need to start investing in some huge series. Oh, and make it a weekly show instead of giving you everything at once. I think the whole binge watch thing is bad business.

Yeah I would prefer that they do some weekly shows. Shows like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead grew as big as they did because of the weekly hype and anticipation.

PaulLFC

They really need to better promote their shows. There's so much Original stuff now, and it's labelled poorly, signposted even worse and outside of a few shows the marketing is nonexistent.

Stuff like Designated Survivor which they have a broadcast deal for in the UK, is labelled a "Netflix Original" when it's nothing of the sort. It would be like Sky claiming Game of Thrones as a "Sky original". So instantly I have no idea what shows Netflix have made and which they've bought in from other companies (and thus may lose in the future).

There's no sort of calendar, so unless you already know about a show from outside Netflix and add it to your list, you don't even know what's releasing in the future and when it will be available.

Even recommendations from others are now entirely outside Netflix as they've got rid of the stars system.

They need a "Coming Soon" section with trailers and short descriptions for their upcoming originals. They could even have the option of watching all of the trailers back to back (like at the cinema) and then an add to list button at the end of each one.

I guess since everyone is pulling everything so they can start their own subscription based apps Netflix has no other choice. Dammit it's gonna be worse than cable by the time this is all done.

By the time this is all done, some mergers and bankruptcies will have come along to consolidate the field.

Brandson

My request: 1 or more daily educational children's programs with real (not animated) children's entertainers and a slow pace (e.g. Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, Polkadot Door, Mr. Dressup, The Electric Company). This is something my kids are missing out on these days.

Lifeline

They are playing into the hands of the distributors making their own streaming services. Netflix is about to become another HBO. A smaller catalog with just a bunch of acclaimed stuff that serves a much different purpose than the original premise of Netflix’s massive acquired variety from many networks and studios. Netflix being another HBO is not as good a value in the end. There’s only so many HBO’s worth buying into since the catalogs are not a Netflix size of variety.

Hulu has become what Netflix was supposed to be.

Bosch, Goliath, Sneaky Pete and Patriot are all solid shows.

This reminds me I still need to watch the new season of Bosch. As more of these services come out, I wish they get a way to put them all in one app. Would make things much easier.

Drain You

Man i just put on The Babysitter as background while doing some work on my laptop. I had no idea what kind of movie it was but that thing grabbed me from "that" moment and didnt let go.

Same, I was kind of bored and saw it was a Netflix Original so I clicked it. Out of nowhere Bam. Also I watched the trailer afterwards and damn does it ruin so much about the movie. Glad I wasn't following this movie beforehand.

Effect

CBS likely has to honor whatever the original duration they licensed the series out for to Netflix. It's the same reason Disney said they won't be "pulling" their movies and shows from Netflix until like 2019.

Even then I wouldn't be surprised if CBS kept Star Trek on Netflix. They need them for worldwide distribution for Star Trek Discovery (especially if they greenlight a season 2 soon) and whatever other Trek series they might be making. Netflix gets to call Discovery an original production as well. They only have CBS AA in the US and then Canada next year and maybe Australia after that. Netflix also is their best way to have the older series seen until AA expands too.

I like Netflix's styole on this. Though they should be careful that they don't just use that cash to produce shit with household names. I don't want more Adam Sandler.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I like Netflix's styole on this. Though they should be careful that they don't just use that cash to produce shit with household names. I don't want more Adam Sandler.

Tell that to the people who made Sandler's movies some of the most watched films on Netflix.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Tell that to the people who made Sandler's movies some of the most watched films on Netflix.

This, a thousand times. Netflix doesn't want to just make good films/shows because then only people who like good films/shows will subscribe. They want them for the awards and the acclaim, and to get people to check out their service, but they also want a bunch of crap that idiots like so that idiots don't feel like there's nothing there for them and unsubscribe. As long as there's crap on Netflix there'll be people who like crap staying subscribed to watch it, and Netflix wants their money just as much as everyone else's.

That is not how finances work. Netflix actually reported a profit if I understand the numbers correctly. A small one, just over 100 million. But when you are a company looking for growth, you don't want a lot of profit, you want to use it.

Every company has debt. Apple has debt and is the richest public company around. That is how these things work.
Tbf, Apple has over $260 billion in cash reserves and $100 billion in debt. They could easily pay it off. Because of this, Investors aren't worried about their debt. You can't say the same about Netflix.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This. A 10 episode season of Game of thrones cost $100 million. They paid Dave Chappelle $60 million for 3 comedy specials. WTF! They need to start investing in some huge series. Oh, and make it a weekly show instead of giving you everything at once. I think the whole binge watch thing is bad business.

No it's EXCELLENT business! Because it's different.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
To all the people whining about Netflix content, watch Mindhunter.

You won't whine no more....

thats like the worst suggestion you could make lol, and thats someone who is loving the show. Its EXACTLY the type of slow moving bullshit that Gaf seems to hate.

For example, Ozark (which I also loved).

How about spend that money on getting great movies from the last 45 years instead? Netflix originals are 70% mediocre tripe anyway.

Top Bottom