• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix plans to spend $8 billion to make its library 50 percent original by 2018

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Netflix is worth $20 to me ...... their content is far better than anything those other channels put out.

Amazon has yet to pull me in with a big show, and yeah i like game of thrones, but im not paying $20 a month for it, Hulu is ok, but i just kind of pass everything and don't find much i want.

Netflix has something that interests me in some way almost weekly, and a ton of stuff i haven't caught up on. If netflix was REALLY smart, Save some of that money they are spending on all these tv shows, and buy up the rights to the NFL, Direct TV has held that shit for too long.

nfl is on the way out

besides amazon already won the bidding war for thursday night football

B.K.

I'll probably subscribe in 2018 or 2019 for MST3k season 12. I've never subscribed to Netflix before, but I will for the next season of MST3k.

As it is, I'm surprised CBS has not already pulled their content, like Star Trek, from Netflix.

CBS likely has to honor whatever the original duration they licensed the series out for to Netflix. It's the same reason Disney said they won't be "pulling" their movies and shows from Netflix until like 2019.

I'm not sure what they have planned, but their big shows right now are Transparent and Man in the High Castle. The Tick is pretty good too. But I'm sure they're working on more stuff. I think in terms of original content, they're relatively new compared to Netflix and Hulu.

Bosch, Goliath, Sneaky Pete and Patriot are all solid shows.

DOWN

Banned
They are playing into the hands of the distributors making their own streaming services. Netflix is about to become another HBO. A smaller catalog with just a bunch of acclaimed stuff that serves a much different purpose than the original premise of Netflix’s massive acquired variety from many networks and studios. Netflix being another HBO is not as good a value in the end. There’s only so many HBO’s worth buying into since the catalogs are not a Netflix size of variety.

bitbydeath

Netflix is the best service in Australia (no HBO here). I’m all ready to get the Disney service when it arrives but the original content will be why I stay with Netflix as well.

Bad news for me. I want a service where I can find movies. Movies that I've heard of, preferably, but decent films outside of that are nice, too. Netflix used to be that. There was a brief time when I could search for a film and have a decent chance it'd be there. Or I could click on something that looked interesting and it'd be pretty good.

Now, though, it's mostly awful. Amazon Prime is even worse. HBO's selection is solid, but tiny and refreshed too slowly. And that is already stretching what I'm willing to pay. I'm certainly not paying for one service per movie company. I guess the best days of streaming movies are already gone.

They are playing into the hands of the distributors making their own streaming services. Netflix is about to become another HBO. A smaller catalog with just a bunch of acclaimed stuff that serves a much different purpose than the original premise of Netflix’s massive acquired variety from many networks and studios. Netflix being another HBO is not as good a value in the end. There’s only so many HBO’s worth buying into since the catalogs are not a Netflix size of variety.

The thing you forget is that HBO has first run movies regularly which gives them the luxury of only needing a small output of original shows and movies.

Mifune

Mehmber
He said he's lost his fight to pitch movies and get budgets now (even gone girl was a hard sell to the studios and then it ends up making like almost 300 million lol)

It's pretty sad. And id rather see his movies in theaters. But if Netflix is willing to put up the money for his films then I really hope he considers it rather than sticking to tv

Like I'm enjoying mindhunters quite a bit but in the grand scheme of things it's one of the worst things he's worked on this century too. Mans gotta make more movies.

I think he's done with movies, unfortunately. WWZ 2 is a favor for Brad Pitt.

All these streaming services are going to die. The market won't be able to sustain every channel and production company making their own streaming service for 10 bucks a month. Netflix should be saving its money and only taking sure shots at original content and building a bang it can use until the eventual crash and consolidation of the streaming market again.

I don't think so.

For most of the new compettitors, the content they'll be providing is legacy content just sitting in their vault not costing anything. Since they own most of that they don't need to invest as much as Netflix is currently doing because Netflix is basically playing catch up on content. You remove the insane amount of investment and the profit will be easier to attain for them while crippling a competitors which was siphoning viewers from their TV and theater offerings. Removing an all in one solution to TV and movies was probably putting going to the theater or buying/renting a movie as a bad value proposition for a lot of people. Segmenting the market that way may improve that value proposition (or more likely piracy) since there will be more hoops for any given content.

They might make less money then they did with Netflix but it migh propel most of their other business upward.

bounchfx

Bad news for me. I want a service where I can find movies. Movies that I've heard of, preferably, but decent films outside of that are nice, too. Netflix used to be that. There was a brief time when I could search for a film and have a decent chance it'd be there. Or I could click on something that looked interesting and it'd be pretty good.

Now, though, it's mostly awful. Amazon Prime is even worse. HBO's selection is solid, but tiny and refreshed too slowly. And that is already stretching what I'm willing to pay. I'm certainly not paying for one service per movie company. I guess the best days of streaming movies are already gone.

Yeah I think there are different types of users. Like my mom, you want specific movies that you are interested in. However, what I want is just entertainment. I don't really care about specific content so much as quality content. Netflix has a ton, and Amazon has a surprisingly solid amount too. Sucks if you want something specific, amazing if you're adventurous and willing to watch new things you might not have heard of.

within the last 1-2 weeks alone I've seen three shows I had no idea existed on Netflix and have loved every one. American Vandal, Mindhunter, and The Good Place. I could probably list 20 other series I wouldn't have watched or been aware of without amazon/netflix

Hydrus

If only they spent that amount on a couple of quality TV shows every year. I still find it amazing that GOT costs around 100 million. I think the binge also isn't quite great as well, it's nice initially but it does absolutely kill discussion, community not to mention the quick succession doesn't allow for digesting everything seen. Even starting by spreading the content one episode every 2 days or 4 days would do wonders and it would make it so that if they did have enough quality shows, that one show would lead on to the next giving people ample amount of content throughout the year.

I also vastly prefer TV content more than films the last film I watched must of been Beasts of no Nations.

Yup. This is why I enjoy a show like Game of Thrones so much. There is so much discussion in between episodes and going back and re-watching it to notice new things. The whole season goes on for 2 and half months and it's a blast the whole way through.

Last year I binge watched Stranger things in a weekend. Me and some friends talked about it for a few days, then that was it. Just too hard to enjoy a show when everything is given to you at once and people move on so quick after they binge watch.

Kremzeek

I hate this trend.

Over the past 4 years or so Netflix has been removing too much content from their streaming service.
If I didn't pay more to be able to rent discs I would seriously hardly have anything to watch on Netflix.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Killing it with the original shows. Probably binge watching something new almost every month.

Movies? Not so much but they aren’t total garbage.

DeathyBoy

Banned
That's not a solid way to get people to watch your programming. People are not gonna be reading a site for lists of releases to then go research on their own. Marketing has to be in your face.

Heck if you follow their own facebook page, a large chunk of these originals don't even get a mention when released on it.

It works for Netflix as a company. So I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

RedAssedApe

Banned
That's not a solid way to get people to watch your programming. People are not gonna be reading a site for lists of releases to then go research on their own. Marketing has to be in your face.

Heck if you follow their own facebook page, a large chunk of these originals don't even get a mention when released on it.

I always get emails and notifications in the app whenever a new show or movie they release is out. Marketing isn’t that big of a deal when all episodes of something are available at once. You can watch at your own pace and don’t have to worry about keeping up. Good shows will trend like with a bunch of their recent shows.

#whodrewthedicks

I only sub to Netflix for the original content and it is so worth it. The newer stuff like Narcos S3, American Vandal, Ozark and Mindhunter has been utterly fantastic. I'm really excited to see how The Witcher (hope they manage to bring in the games' composer!) and Altered Carbon turn out!

data

I hope they get more "original" animes, if they stepped up their game in that regard I'd keep my sub for that alone.

SO glad! I'm watching a lot of Netflix original content. I hope quality keeps up.

They already premiere too many damn shows every other week - it's ridiculous. They barely give anything anytime to breathe or grow organically before they're trying to throw another show on you. Some restraint would be nice.

Netflix shows don't need massive ratings, what they want is to satisfy viewers of certain categories and/or niches that their algorithms dig up. To be a success, Netflix show just has to be a hit in their target viewership category.

They want to make original shows for many kinds of viewers, so obviously as a result one person can't watch them all.

The biggest issue is they can't even market all this stuff. It seems to be multiple original series or movie releases a week, many of which come out with no marketing or mention whatsoever. I have no idea what like 70% of this stuff even is, only some of it gets any internet hype at all. They are showing so much at us, but does anyone even know that lot of this even exists?

As long as Netflix interface and recommendations algorithm are up to scratch, I think they can rely a lot on the "Let's see if there is something to watch on Netflix" -reflex. It will not replace your normal marketing 100%, but for example the "here is something you may like" -notifications are basically adverts.

I don't care too much for their original content, but they are great for bringing American shows to Europe the next day. Star Trek, The Good Place, Riverdale and more. The US can have their fragmented market while Netflix does the distribution worldwide.

LaNaranja

This was always their plan, it's not like they have been keeping it to themselves. The CEO said in 2013 that "the goal is to become HBO faster than HBO can become us."

I think this is great, a lot of their original content is good stuff. That said, they need to figure out a better way to market their stuff. I never would have heard of American Vandal if it wasn't for the Gaf thread. Same with Okja. Both are some of the best things to come out this year.

I like this news. I mostly watch netflix originals tv on there anyway. Big films that come out that I want I just buy digitally on Amazon (and there really arnt that many that I am that bothered by these days anyway).

Pluto

This. A 10 episode season of Game of thrones cost $100 million. They paid Dave Chappelle $60 million for 3 comedy specials. WTF! They need to start investing in some huge series. Oh, and make it a weekly show instead of giving you everything at once. I think the whole binge watch thing is bad business.
I agree, a weekly release lets people anticipate the next episode and there's actual discussion about it, it builds and audience that actually interacts with each other.
There's no real duscission about the dumped for binging shows on here, everyone warches at their own pace, the threads are full of spoilert tags and after a week they fizzle out and disappear while the weekly show threads are active for months.

They didn't change their model, greedy content providers raising licensing fees and removing content for their own library services have forced Netflix to invest more in original content
Don't be ridiculous, as if Netflix is doing this out of the goodness of their hearts and not because they're in it for the money too. Why wouldn't content providers raise the fees or pull their stuff if they can make more money that way?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Posted this in the Riz Ahmed Hamlet thread,but it bears repeating here seeing as I've seen discussion of the quality of Netflix's content:

It's Netflix's business model to make bad stuff as well as good stuff. If you fill your service with A+ top quality intellectual content then yes, you'll attract lots of people who like that, but you'll lose the people who want to watch Adam Sandler or Kevin James films. You'll lose idiots who watch trash and their money is just as good as everyone else's.

All they want is to put a wide spread of content up on their service so there's at least a couple of things that appeal to people enough to make them pay the $10 a month or whatever for their membership. Making original content draws more people in, and the don't care if it's good or bad as long as there's enough of both kinds to keep all types of people subscribed.

number11

Great news. I rarely watch non originals on Netflix. Plus I love the international deals they have with CW shows and Better Call Saul.

But as others said, they definitely have issues with their marketing. They seem to be reliant on word of mouth, and have no problem if their movies get swallowed up. How many people browse Netflix and end up watching a movie they’ve never heard of? Most Netflix movies are stuff no one knows about

Cappa

Banned
Netflix Original films I would recommend:

Drama:
Beasts of No Nation
The Fundamentals of Caring
Tallulah
Barry
Imperial Dreams
I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
Burning Sands
Deidra and Laney Rob a Train
Okja
To the Bone
First They Killed My Father
Gerald's Game
Our Souls at Night
The Meyerowitz Stories

Comedy:
Pee-wee's Big Holiday
Brahman Naman
Win It All
Small Crimes
The Incredible Jessica James
The Babysitter

Docs:
The Square
The Battered Bastards of Baseball
Virunga
Hot Girls Wanted
What Happened, Miss Simone?
Winter on Fire
Audrie and Daisy
Amanda Knox
13th
Into the Inferno
The Ivory Game
Casting JonBenet
Get Me Roger Stone
Joshua: Teenager vs Superpower
Chasing Coral
Icarus
Strong Island (possibly the best Netflix Original film to date)
The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson
Kingdom of Us

Didn´t like ARQ?

They don't have 8 billion. Their in debt. They cant do it forever.
That is not how finances work. Netflix actually reported a profit if I understand the numbers correctly. A small one, just over 100 million. But when you are a company looking for growth, you don't want a lot of profit, you want to use it.

Every company has debt. Apple has debt and is the richest public company around. That is how these things work.

Fbh

I just hope they invest in quality over quantity.

They have lots of great shows but most movies I've seen are terrible.
It's not even about the budget, there's tons of good movies with low budgets, it's the writing and acting is also direct to DVD quality.

True Fire

Netflix has the right idea. Sure, they’re paying 8 billion upfront for hundreds of titles, but they get to keep the rights to those titles for the rest of time. That is some crazy residual value.

Publishers have been screwing over Netflix for years with jacked up prices for rights. But Stranger Things? Netflix just has to pay for it upfront. It costs nothing to keep on their service. And that upfront payment is tax deductible with filming credits, while licensing fees aren’t.

They’re also working on disrupting the anime market, which is huge for their international reach. The anime market was ripe for disruption, to be honest, and Netflix is going for it.

numble

Netflix has the right idea. Sure, they’re paying 8 billion upfront for hundreds of titles, but they get to keep the rights to those titles for the rest of time. That is some crazy residual value.

Publishers have been screwing over Netflix for years with jacked up prices for rights. But Stranger Things? Netflix just has to pay for it upfront. It costs nothing to keep on their service. And that upfront payment is tax deductible with filming credits, while licensing fees aren’t.

They’re also working on disrupting the anime market, which is huge for their international reach. The anime market was ripe for disruption, to be honest, and Netflix is going for it.
How are licensing fees not tax-deductible?

Raiden

Banned
I really do end up liking most of their original series. Even the shitty ones. Movies are usually hit or miss for me though. I'm all for Netflix going all in on original content, Mindhunter and The Babysitter were both awesome recently.

Man i just put on The Babysitter as background while doing some work on my laptop. I had no idea what kind of movie it was but that thing grabbed me from "that" moment and didnt let go.

I really wonder if people saying "most of their original stuff is trash" actually watch any of it, or have watched one thing, didn't like it and now think they hate it all. Seemed to happen with the marvels shows. Iron Fist is bad therefore all Netflix original content is bad.

Adam Sandler movies too.

Top Bottom