• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Yeah, you could make an argument about characters doing things better than others, but players pick characters for different reasons. That's kinda how it's been for most fighting games. The notion of "just pick a top tier" isn't always applicable for everyone!

on a milk carton along with the alex and ibuki nostalgia costumes

U aint rite but u rite u rite

They should let us remove costume pieces. Capcom pls.er.

FluxWaveZ

Not all players can use all characters interchangeably. That whole "there are other characters who do what X does, but better" argument sounds good in theory, but doesn't always translate to reality.

Otherwise, Infiltration would be bodying everyone with Karin like Punk is.

It's very possible that Fuudo wouldn't be doing as well with other characters as he is with Mika.

You're right, even when it comes to a character who is, in many ways, your character but better (i.e. Laura). But the fact is that a character can hold you back. Xian is a perfect example of this.

For Fuudo, I very much think this is the case. He knows best, of course, and he's the one who has stayed positive on her while everyone else has dropped her (we'll see how long that lasts), even though he experimented with Ibuki after Season 2 started.

Maybe Mika is the perfect fit for him. But in a game like SFV where distinguishing characteristics and "what makes a character good" are clearly defined, I do have to wonder if he'd be doing better with someone else. Most other ex-Mika mains thought so for themselves, anyways.

FluxWaveZ

Mika is viable. Sure she takes work, but she's viable. FANG was a special case of absolute ass.

It's still relative. Some characters are more powerful than others. They don't all fit under the simple label of "viable." That's not enough when it comes to players who are playing for thousands of dollars on the regular.

Again, Fuudo is good enough and experienced enough to know what the best choice for himself is. And, apparently, right now that's Mika. Just like it's apparently still Chun-Li for Ricki Ortiz. But how much you have to work to excel with a character is part of this, and Fuudo no doubt needs to put in a lot to make his desired playstyle with Mika work.

Good. Sick of seeing the same 4 dudes commentating literally every tournament.
Yipes might legitimately be the funniest person in the entire FGC. He has the perfect balance of off-color comments and actual play-by-play that I don't think anyone else has.

This compilation of his commentary on SF4 has gotta be one of my favorite videos of all time.

"Can we switch the stage please? I'm tired of this stage. Let's go to the jungle or somethin--AND WE TAKIN' IT TO THE CITY!"

"HOLD THE RIC FLAIR!"

FluxWaveZ

anyone playing? Cfn 765production

GGs again. I tried to make some adjustments with Birdie, but they didn't stick for too long. It's a tough one to figure out with the fireballs. The answers I keep in mind are slide, chain, and I tried his f.HP a bit.

The jump-ins were pretty bad for me, too. Was paying too much attention to the ground game that I couldn't see them. Maybe I should just walk the fireballs out more and wait for the jump, instead of trying to specifically counter the fireballs. Will move my focus more to the skies.

Handling her pressure is hard. I try not to V-Reversal because Birdie's V-Trigger is important. I think I should challenge more strings with his EX Bullhorn. I should also stop falling for obvious shimmy attempts; I don't know why I'm so inclined to try teching with Birdie compared to Mika.

Producer

GGs again. I tried to make some adjustments with Birdie, but they didn't stick for too long. It's a tough one to figure out with the fireballs. The answers I keep in mind are slide, chain, and I tried his f.HP a bit.

The jump-ins were pretty bad for me, too. Was paying too much attention to the ground game that I couldn't see them. Maybe I should just walk the fireballs out more and wait for the jump, instead of trying to specifically counter the fireballs. Will move my focus more to the skies.

Handling her pressure is hard. I try not to V-Reversal because Birdie's V-Trigger is important. I think I should challenge more strings with his EX Bullhorn. I should also stop falling for obvious shimmy attempts; I don't know why I'm so inclined to try teching with Birdie compared to Mika.

GGs! I think you did do ex bullhorn once or twice to blow up the fireball, definately a good option and i think you have the reactions to pull it off more consistantly. I gotta say though i never really thought / worried about birdie's chain before but you got me so many times i think you were like 100% on the ex ones. Its one of those moved where if you werent already blocking you got hit lol, well at least for me.

My Stick is busted just stop working the board is dead or something....my time with SFV or any fighting game going to be cut, I have controllers, but none of them are 6 face buttons, not good with the shoulder buttons, plus 360 D-pad is pure shit..until i get a stick, i am going full casual, playing SFV for 5k fight money every Friday lol

Update on the 30th?

Ok...finally gonna jump back in...

Please be good Ken '-)

Also gonna alt Ryu, I hate Cammy -_-

I'll be hitting you guys up on CFN next week heavy guys...what time is everyone usually on? Weekends good?

taoofjord

Am I crazy or is the dithered self shadowing getting fixed in the upcoming patch? I swear it looked like it was gone in the PS Plus beta.

Am I crazy or is the dithered self shadowing getting fixed in the upcoming patch? I swear it looked like it was gone in the PS Plus beta.

As lucebuce12 writes, it was fixed in beta. Here's a nice before / after comparison:
MpUBs2Y.jpg

RM8

I've been playing KOFXIV since it came out on Steam, and even though I love SFV the most and it's my favourite fighter right now (and a strong candidate for my favourite fighter ever, to be honest) - it's so true that KOFXIV has so many nice things that I wish SFV would have, lol. Tons of characters (and more varied too, the body types in SFV are so samey, and I thought Ed would change that a bit...), arcade mode, good loading times, super nice looking stages, etc.

Online is crap, but SFV isn't that awesome either, lol. Anyway, this is the only game IMO that has the Street Fighter DNA out there, and the only real "alternative" for me. When people say "just play Guilty Gear [or whatever fighter that plays and looks 100% differently from SF]", I find it so absurd. Anyway, I'm glad I have both now!

Farewell

Since days i can't seem to find any casual or ranked matches, it let's me search but it can't find one. I also can't join battlelounges, they are marked as "?" and it says i can't join them.

Can anyone help me here? Every other online game is fine, it's just this game, first time this happens to me.
Reset the router, restart or logging off cfn doesn't help. Im from Germany.

Since days i can't seem to find any casual or ranked matches, it let me search but it can't find one. I also can't join battlelounges, they are marked as "?" and it says i can't join them.

Can anyone help me here? Every other online game is fine, it's just this game, first time this happens to me.
Reset the router, restart or logging off cfn doesn't help. Im from Germany.

Have you setup port-forwarding on your router?

If not, try to forward the following ports to your PC:
TCP: 20002, 30840, 30850, 30870
UDP: 30840-30859, 30870-30879

If you set up port-forwarding previously, then check that your PC still has the same IP address that you specified when setting up the forwarding rules.

Farewell

Ucchedavāda;238260795 said:
Have you setup port-forwarding on your router?

If not, try to forward the following ports to your PC:
TCP: 20002, 30840, 30850, 30870
UDP: 30840-30859, 30870-30879

If you set up port-forwarding previously, then check that your PC still has the same IP address that you specified when setting up the forwarding rules.

Ok i will try this, thanks a lot.

Ok i will try this, thanks a lot.

You should also check that your Windows firewall isn't set to block SFV.
It is probably not the source of your problem, but it is worth making sure just in case.

You can get to the firewall settings by pressing Win+R, and then entering "wf.msc" and pressing enter or the Ok button.

MechaX

Time to learn a new character now that Karin is 100% getting nerfed at the end of the season

If Combofiend at any point is like "Punk is playing Karen in a way we didn't expect!", you know she is going to get her legs broken with a baseball bat in the next season.

Pompadour

As much shit SFV gets at least I can get matches reasonably quickly with people around my skill level. I like the way GGXrd plays but the online is depressingly bad. Even with all the fighting games I buy there's only a handful I can call "playable" because it meets the minimum qualifications in gameplay and online for me. Here's a quick rundown of how I feel about current fighting games with a 3 (out of 5) in both categories being required for me to bother playing them.

SFV: Gameplay 4, Online 4
GGXrd: Gameplay 5, Online 2
KOFXIV: Gameplay 3, Online 1
Killer Instinct: Gameplay 2, Online 5
NRS Games: Gameplay 1, Online 5
Skullgirls: Gameplay 3, Online 5 (although I still don't bother playing this one)

I really hope Tekken has great online play.

Neoxon

As much shit SFV gets at least I can get matches reasonably quickly with people around my skill level. I like the way GGXrd plays but the online is depressingly bad. Even with all the fighting games I buy there's only a handful I can call "playable" because it meets the minimum qualifications in gameplay and online for me. Here's a quick rundown of how I feel about current fighting games with a 3 (out of 5) in both categories being required for me to bother playing them.

SFV: Gameplay 4, Online 4
GGXrd: Gameplay 5, Online 2
KOFXIV: Gameplay 3, Online 1
Killer Instinct: Gameplay 2, Online 5
NRS Games: Gameplay 1, Online 5
Skullgirls: Gameplay 3, Online 5 (although I still don't bother playing this one)

I really hope Tekken has great online play.
I'd give SFV online a 3 right now, but it may go up to 4 if the CFN beta is any indication.

Tekken Tag 2 had fine netcode but the player base wasn't​ great. I'm hoping with all the hype Tekken 7 has it'll be healthy.

The real battle will be retention. Tekken is a harder game to learn but still very rewarding. Legacy skills are gonna carry people more. But if it's fun people will stick around so I'm not worried.

Moaradin

I want to get into Tekken 7 but no cross play kills it for me. I'll probably wait and see if there's any sort of PC player base after a few weeks before I consider it.

to be fair supers are only two buttons vs doing QCF x2 :p
True lol, but it was mostly to show that you CAN easily react to stuff even in an online environment. Much like KI, I believe there will be new blood that became genuinely good offline players just by playing online.
I want to get into Tekken 7 but no cross play kills it for me. I'll probably wait and see if there's any sort of PC player base after a few weeks before I consider it.
I was a bit worried about the PC version too, but lately I've seen quite a lot of people going PC for this game. If you live in the US/EU then I don't think you'll have any issues finding games on the PC. If the netcode is anything like TTT2 (which it will be) then you should have a generally good time of it.

Top Bottom