• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genesis Street Fighter 2 Which Never Was | Nostalgia Nerd

That beta version was developed by Sega

The guy in the video actually makes a good case that the game could have been outsourced to Minakuchi Engineering, who responsible for Mega Man the Wily Wars on the Mega Drive/ Genesis for Capcom. But it is also possible that it was Sega.

This version has fascinated me ever since I learned about it a few years ago.

I'll check out the video when I'm home, thanks OP.

Ah, I remember all the stories surrounding the whole Sega/Street Fighter II releases.

Street Fighter II was the single game that turned the tide for Nintendo. It was the original System seller, more than any Mario or Sonic IMO.

JusDoIt

At 2:10 we see a pink arcade marquee that reads "Street Fighter II 92," à la Street Fighter '89 (the OG name for Final Fight).

I have never seen this before in my life. Was it a regional thing? I'm kinda disappointed Capcom decided against this KOF-style yearly naming convention for Street Fighter.

gblues

Banned
Echoing one of the comments on the video, that was a terrible butchering of "Keiji Inafune" at the 12:13 mark.

"Keegee away-fun"

-hadouken

I still have vivid memories (in the playground!) of reading about the forthcoming MD version of Champion Edition in Mega Zone - was tempted to sell my SNES at the time.

I40RMoV.png

At 2:10 we see a pink arcade marquee that reads "Street Fighter II 92," à la Street Fighter '89 (the OG name for Final Fight):

Street%20Fighter%20%2789.jpg

I have never seen this before in my life. Was it a regional thing? I'm kinda disappointed Capcom decided against this KOF-style yearly naming convention for Street Fighter.

Five minutes of googling has only been able to dig up the regular marquee from Electrocoin, which is cool in its own right. Best Guile art ever. That 92 variant is really bizarre, though.

JusDoIt

Five minutes of googling has only been able to dig up the regular marquee from Electrocoin, which is cool in its own right. Best Guile art ever. That 92 variant is really bizarre, though.

It has the same polka dot pattern as the 92 variant (which must be CE, even though it doesn't say Champion Edition). Electrocoin was just in the UK, right?

Our SFII marquees in the states had funky Memphis style patterns:

sf2_marquee-2-sca1-1000.jpg

CE had the elephant print:

street-fighter-II-champion-edition_marquee.jpg

EmiPrime

I had that old issue of Sega Power, it was really memorable. Very cheeky of them to review a very unfinished game just to get an exclusive especially as it got axed. Wonder how they got hold of it...

There are tons of great beta/protos on the Mega Drive, playing these builds on original hardware is loads of fun especially those that got featured in magazines bitd!

Zee-Row

Banned
The guy in the video actually makes a good case that the game could have been outsourced to Minakuchi Engineering, who responsible for Mega Man the Wily Wars on the Mega Drive/ Genesis for Capcom. But it is also possible that it was Sega.

I always found it cool that it had the heavy damage music and even more frames than the actual version we got.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I do love how at the end, he goes about (and solves a mystery that I didn't even know about) the brief SFII appearance in The Old Grey Whistle Theft episode of Father Ted.

Sega-developed Capcom games were almost all competent if not great. So I don't believe Sega was the developer on the beta. That game was so important to Sega, I couldn't imagine them not throwing every top development resource at that project if it were done in-house.

Top Bottom