• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

AEREC

Bought this when it launched but never got past the tutorial. Was eyeing MHG but now I think I'll actually play this instead.

What are some great weapons/armor for a Dual Blade user? :x

I'm still a complete noob at MH. Especially since this is my first game in the series.

Anteo

My HR is 2. Lol

What is this 'Razor Sharp'?

Edit: Right now I'm rocking a Tetsucabra set and Twin Chainsaws

+10 points to Sharpness gives Razor Sharp, which decreases the rate your weapon loses sharpness. Alternatively you could get +10 Sharpener to get Speed Sharpening which increases the speed in which your hunter sharpens their weapon.

Try to play with an offensive set, Tetsu is good starting out but you should focus on not getting hit instead of tanking hits which is what the tetsu set promotes

+10 points to Sharpness gives Razor Sharp, which decreases the rate your weapon loses sharpness. Alternatively you could get +10 Sharpener to get Speed Sharpening which increases the speed in which your hunter sharpens their weapon.

Try to play with an offensive set, Tetsu is good starting out but you should focus on not getting hit instead of tanking hits which is what the tetsu set promotes

Ahh, okay. I know that some armor/weapons could give off those points. But is there another to get those points in to get me to Razor Sharp?

Like I said, I'm a complete noob to MH. I actually started working on getting a new set of armor, but I'm not sure if I should actually get that now. It's the spider set, I forget the name of it. Starts with an 'N'

I also got myself the Rapiers at the moment, because I saw that it gave off Critical Hits. I would assume that's good for fast hitting weapons like the DB.

PKrockin

Tetsucabra's the most popular, Nerscylla is good as well. Some other early (Rare 1-2) sets with good skills for dual blades or general blademasters are

Jaggi (Halve Stun, Speed Sharpen)
Najarala (Earplugs)
Velocidrome (Attack Up Small, Halve Stun, Psychic)
Barroth (Attack Up Small, Guard+, Defense Up Small)
Battle (Speed Sharpen, Attack Up Small)
Ceanataur (Speed Sharpen, Razor Sharp)

Ultimately I would say all you really need is enough defense to not get rekt in a couple hits, and you may be able to accomplish that by upgrading even low defense armor sets with armor spheres as you progress. (Some weapons will really really want certain armor skills, like Focus for bows, but dual blades is pretty much fine without anything specific, though sharpness skills are definitely appreciated.) You probably only really need to make one armor set for low rank, or or two for high rank, and two for g-rank. Feel free to make more though if you need a little extra edge in battle, or something that looks cooler or has better/more fun skills.

As for weapons, element is generally much less of a factor in total damage than raw damage is. Dual blades however are among the best at specializing in element damage with their high number of hits. To make the most use of element I would check Kiranico to see where the enemy is weakest to what element and where on their body, otherwise you can not worry about it too much and bring weapons with better raw and less element. If you don't feel like buying and upgrading a variety of weapons for each element you can bring poison or blast weapons, those work pretty good on about anything. Crits are also only 1.25x damage, so don't shy away from -10% affinity weapons.

Anteo

Ahh, okay. I know that some armor/weapons could give off those points. But is there another to get those points in to get me to Razor Sharp?

Like I said, I'm a complete noob to MH. I actually started working on getting a new set of armor, but I'm not sure if I should actually get that now. It's the spider set, I forget the name of it. Starts with an 'N'

I also got myself the Rapiers at the moment, because I saw that it gave off Critical Hits. I would assume that's good for fast hitting weapons like the DB.

After a certain point in the gane you are able to craft gems that give some points to skills. Also mining randomly give you charms with randon skills points to add to your set. Even in early rank you can use these to give some extra skills or power up existing skills of your set.

Some skills are rather cheap to gem in, giving 2 points per gem slot. While other are super hard to get, for some you need 2 slots or even 3 on a single piece of armor to add the gem. Remember you need at least 10 points on a skill to activate it, also some but not all skills improve with 15, 20 and 25 points

Edit. Download the mh4dex, it has all the information for drops, weaknesses, armor, etc. There is an option where you can build a set and check what skills it will give you and what materials you need to get it

Oh, I've been into this game for a while now. xP I'm at like 40+ hours in already.

It pains me that I can't experience playing with others though. >.<

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I thought we all signed a pact to not play with Troubled Bat.
As long as you are having fun in single player I guess...

rdaneel72

I am. Picked up again after months of frustration against Dalamadur

Finally cleared my 7* urgent and got to G-Rank this weekend.

There's a whole lot more game left, apparently.

I usually play a couple hours before bed 9pm

GenG3000

Is the online MH4U community is active? I have an urge to play MH but I don't like the styles and other changes they made to 4U's battle system. I'd rather go back to my 4U save.

PantsuJo

Is the online MH4U community is active? I have an urge to play MH but I don't like the styles and other changes they made to 4U's battle system. I'd rather go back to my 4U save.

I'd like to return to MH4U too: its gameplay was funny but extremely balanced, much better than MGGen. Maybe I will reload my old savegame next week.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Is anyone still playing this?

I remembered this game recently and was going to hop into an old save, but I just realized I have no idea what I'm doing.

Considering just starting over on a new save since I completely forgot how to play, but the save I have is pretty far in. The Guildmarm wants me to do "Black Rock Down", which is on Caravan 9 I guess. Am I close to the end of the game?

Pila

I remembered this game recently and was going to hop into an old save, but I just realized I have no idea what I'm doing.

Considering just starting over on a new save since I completely forgot how to play, but the save I have is pretty far in. The Guildmarm wants me to do "Black Rock Down", which is on Caravan 9 I guess. Am I close to the end of the game?

Yeah you're not far.

andthebeatgoeson

No need to restart. You have a lot of items, by this time, to help with any armor or weapons or items you want to make. And you can always repeat earlier quests to get you back into the groove. Nothing like taking your high rank gear against lr monsters and finishing in two minutes.

Sarcasm

Still playing when I am not on my PC. You don't need to start over as it doesn't really teach you.

Shengar

Four days ago MH4U hits its second anniversary. Just yesterday I played some solo hunts and good God, it reminds me why I played this game for 800hours and almost wreck my grade. The overall package is just feels complete, and cohesive compared to MHGen. Even with numerous QoL and moveset improvement from Gen, MH4U stills play amazingly great, which honestly convince me that I will lose anything if they scrapped style and hunter arts in MH5.

Sarcasm

Four days ago MH4U hits its second anniversary. Just yesterday I played some solo hunts and good God, it reminds me why I played this game for 800hours and almost wreck my grade. The overall package is just feels complete, and cohesive compared to MHGen. Even with numerous QoL and moveset improvement from Gen, MH4U stills play amazingly great, which honestly convince me that I will lose anything if they scrapped style and hunter arts in MH5.

Wanna play with me?

Wolfe

I picked up MHG around launch and aside from making a character I still haven't played it at all, shame really as I had a ton of fun with 4U (can't recall my rank but put in over 1000 hours).

Nice to see people still chompin at this game, I had a blast charge blading.

Shengar

Wanna play with me?
I would happy to oblige, but time difference is a bitch and I miss many open room so often lately because I don't visit MH threads as often as back in the day. Not that I deny your invitation, but just don't rely on me appearing lol
I picked up MHG around launch and aside from making a character I still haven't played it at all, shame really as I had a ton of fun with 4U (can't recall my rank but put in over 1000 hours).

Nice to see people still chompin at this game, I had a blast charge blading.

It's bad that they remove carting auto-text in MHGen. That sure take away my enjoyment from seeing witty one like yours.

Sarcasm

I would happy to oblige, but time difference is a bitch and I miss many open room so often lately because I don't visit MH threads as often as back in the day. Not that I deny your invitation, but just don't rely on me appearing lol

It's bad that they remove carting auto-text in MHGen. That sure take away my enjoyment from seeing witty one like yours.

I am in +8 timezone, you?

also

Banned
I have done this ten times, I have been trying to get a rare scarab for the last 30+ minutes.

I am using http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/item/rare-scarab as reference.

G = Guild which is that place where you can play online, correct?

High = Caravan, what star?

I am losing my mindddd
No, "G" and "High" pertain to the rank of the quests. Doesn't matter whether you accept them at the Caravan or Guild.

Low-Rank Quests - These are from Hunter Rank 1-3
High-Rank Quests - These are from Hunter Rank 4-7
G-Rank Quests - These are from Hunter Rank 8+

So according to kiranico you need to be doing at least hunter rank 4 quests on Frozen Seaway, Volcanic Hollow, Heaven's Mount, Dunes (night) or G-rank quests if you're going to the other maps.
Hope it's clear.

tuffy

I have done this ten times, I have been trying to get a rare scarab for the last 30+ minutes.

I am using http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/item/rare-scarab as reference.

G = Guild which is that place where you can play online, correct?

High = Caravan, what star?

I am losing my mindddd
Rank progression goes from: Low Rank &#8594; High Rank &#8594; G Rank

The single-player Caravan portion only features Low Rank and High Rank quests, and the High Rank quests begin at 7 star. It's impossible to miss because there'll be a lot of story cues and the quest list will sprout a "low rank/high rank" toggle button.

Guild quests eventually reach a G rank which takes place in a different place from the Gathering Hall and is generally meant for endgame challenges.

Sarcasm

No, "G" and "High" pertain to the rank of the quests. Doesn't matter whether you accept them at the Caravan or Guild.

Low-Rank Quests - These are from Hunter Rank 1-3
High-Rank Quests - These are from Hunter Rank 4-7
G-Rank Quests - These are from Hunter Rank 8+

So according to kiranico you need to be doing at least rank 4 quests on Frozen Seaway, Volcanic Hollow, Heaven's Mount, Dunes (night) or G-rank quests if you're going to the other maps.
Hope it's clear.

Rank progression goes from: Low Rank &#8594; High Rank &#8594; G Rank

The single-player Caravan portion only features Low Rank and High Rank quests, and the High Rank quests begin at 7 star. It's impossible to miss because there'll be a lot of story cues and the quest list will sprout a "low rank/high rank" toggle button.

Guild quests eventually reach a G rank which takes place in a different place from the Gathering Hall and is generally meant for endgame challenges.

My caravan only goes to 6* and I did every quest in it.

Oh wait urgent quest, Brachydios =(

Just got to HR6 in online, still no gathering quest. There is one in HR4 but that what I was farming for 30m+

Rawk Hawk

My caravan only goes to 6* and I did every quest in it.

Oh wait urgent quest, Brachydios =(

Just got to HR6 in online, still no gathering quest. There is one in HR4 but that what I was farming for 30m+

I would suggest doing the quests that can also reward them, they will generally be in areas where you can also gather them. So you have not only the gathering attempts but also quest completion rewards to help boost chances. Looks like Guild 5* Zamite Fight and Fish Finder are the two you should try out. Good luck!

Toxi

Banned
Came back to 4U and I'm rusty.

Tried doing some G-Rank 3 solo since I didn't have internet access. I think Lrg Elder Dragon Gems are starting to drive me insane.

Sarcasm

Man finally have time to play again and I am so lost.

What is a good weapon type that is somewhat fast but big? Using charge sns which currently isn't so hot for this urgent quest so I need to change it up.

PKrockin

Man finally have time to play again and I am so lost.

What is a good weapon type that is somewhat fast but big? Using charge sns which currently isn't so hot for this urgent quest so I need to change it up.
Somewhat fast but big... long sword, switch axe, charge blade. I usually recommend that you try out all the weapons.

Toxi

Banned
I hate Azure Rathalos. Just triple carted, did the quest again with traps, cats, and combines, double carted and nearly had a third cart. That fucker is just too aggressive when enraged.

Ironically, this was just after I got the hang of Kushala. Feel like I'm learning the game all over again.

Edit: It's kinda hilarious how my current anti-Teostra set is Gore X. Biomaster, Elemental Attack+1, Adrenaline, and Sharpness+1 is a sweet combination, even if I need to gem up and eat for Felyne Firestarter not to spontaneously combust.

Edit: It's kinda hilarious how my current anti-Teostra set is Gore X. Biomaster, Elemental Attack+1, Adrenaline, and Sharpness+1 is a sweet combination, even if I need to gem up and eat for Felyne Firestarter not to spontaneously combust.

>Anti-Teostra
>-25 Fire resistance

324372062879875072.png

blakdeth

New Monster Hunter player here. I just picked up Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and a New 3DS XL.

I dipped my toe into MH3U on Wii U, but I didn't stick with it. I heard MH4U was a bit easier to get into, so here I am.

Is this the appropriate thread for newbie questions? I don't have the ability to start a LTTP thread.

blakdeth

Welcome to the party, and go right ahead and ask away if you're lost on anything.

Thank you. I appreciate the response.

Currently, I am most confused about the various types of quests. It is not clear to me how Caravan, Guild, and Event quests relate to solo vs multiplayer, online vs offline, etc?

I also don't understand where to pick-up the various types of quests. I've been using the Guildmarm in Val Habar, and I just recently discovered the Gathering Hall.

To the best of my knowledge, quests work as follows.

Caravan Quests: solo, offline, obtained from the Guildmarm.
Guild Quests: multiplayer, online, obtained from the Gathering Hall.
Event Quests: ?

Is there any combination of Guild Quests that can be done solo, Guild Quests that can be done offline, or Caravan Quests that can be done in multiplayer?

Thanks again.

tuffy

You've got the basics down already, for the most part. All the Caravan quests can only be done offline, solo. All the Guild quests can be done online in multiplayer or offline solo. Guild quest monsters essentially have more health than their Caravan counterparts of the same rank, but are otherwise identical. The two quest lines are separate, but each has useful things to unlock like canteen upgrades. Event quests are like Guild quests in terms of how you take them.

It's recommended you proceed to at least the 3* caravan quests before trying to take on the gathering hall quests also. Multiplayer monsters are balanced around at least two hunters, so you'd want to have some decent gear before trying to challenge them alone (you can challenge any of them alone or online.)

Also, Event Quests are DLC quests that you can download online. Either go to the DLC option in the main menu when you start up the game, or talk to your housekeeper to access the DLC content. These quests are typically harder than guild quests, or offer unusual challenges like monsters of unusual sizes. You can start any event quest from the Gathering Hall, and they can be done offline or online.

Top Bottom