• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: "there are a lot" of big unannounced Xbox games.

Fredrik

By "truly" exclusive are we referring to "not on PC"?

Because people need to let go of this idea. Microsoft sees PC as part of "their platform". Xbox console only exclusives are a thing of the past.

To the point where Microsoft will give you a free PC version when you buy digital.
Yup. And it is the best thing ever. It took me some time before I upgraded to Windows 10 but when I finally did it I had Forza Horizon 3 waiting right there running at 60+fps on triple screens and it was glooorious. :)

In the best of worlds you would have access to Sony's and Nintendo's games on PC too, but everybody knows that ain't gonna happen since it's Microsoft's platform, not without emulators anyway.

You mention PC for the exclusives that are there, but even for games that aren't exclusive, it's still always going to be the choice of many gamers to buy a lot of games for a specific kind of experience on a console as opposed to putting together the kind of high end PC it would usually take to run them the way that an Xbox One X will. You think hundreds of thousands, even millions aren't actively choosing Xbox instead of PC or PS4 each and every single time a major game comes out? It happens with every major release. So a game coming to PS4 or PC is not an automatic "haha, it doesn't matter! PC and PS4 got it too!"

$499 makes it a tougher sell, sure, but people who may want the experience they would get on a console like Xbox One X, also see the way third party games run on the system as a major selling point, just like PS4 owners similarly saw the way third party titles ran on PS4 as compared to Xbox One as a major selling point.

I'm all for telling it like it is and acknowledging where Microsoft needs to do better on more exclusive games to their plaform, but how about we stop trying so hard to downplay the very simple fact that all kinds of major upcoming releases, such as Red Dead Redemption 2, COD WW2, Anthem, Metro Exodus, Assassin's Creed Origins, Destiny 2, Star Wars Battlefront II, Project Cars 2, not to many already released games that will be enhanced for the new system, and many other upcoming titles I'm probably forgetting, will clearly run better on Xbox One X. It doesn't mean they won't look or play great on PS4 Pro, but those games will not be better on any other console for the foreseeable future not named Xbox One X. Just as I was plenty happy and satisfied to play many titles on Xbox One instead of PS4 despite knowing full well the PS4 version ran or looked better in many instances, I'm certain the same approach will translate to the current situation now that Xbox has the more capable hardware. Big exclusive titles to make your platform more desirable are important and a huge advantage for any videogame platform, but so too is the fact all the highest selling games out there will run best on a particular system.

Totally agree with you on people buying games on console rather than PC. It just depends on what kind of experience they want, like you said.

$499 definitely makes it a tougher sell in general, considering it's a mid-gen refresh of a console that has played 2nd place this entire gen. The PS4 Pro is $100 cheaper (and $250 cheaper for the Xbone S and PS4 Slim) so it will remain to be seen if people choose to pay $100 more for the Xbone X. That being said, I'm sure the Xbone X will do well for it's target market, no doubt about that.

Even though what you said is true to an extent (games will definitely look the best on Xbone X), people tend to play multiplatform games on the console that has the content and marketing exclusivity. It will be interesting to see the possible shift from PS4 (Pro) to Xbone X later this year.

By "truly" exclusive are we referring to "not on PC"?

Because people need to let go of this idea. Microsoft sees PC as part of "their platform". Xbox console only exclusives are a thing of the past.

To the point where Microsoft will give you a free PC version when you buy digital.

Yes, I mean truly exclusive as in not on PC.

However, you are correct. I do need to just consider Xbox and PC the same platform now. It's a bit weird to me, if Microsoft wants to sell more consoles (Xbone X in this case), then why make all games on both PC/Xbox? Shouldn't the company be some making Xbox only games to push more units?

I also have an Xbone S and a gaming capable PC for what it's worth.

Najaf

Please partner for skate 4. Please partner for skate 4. It's in the freaking Olympics now. Please make skate 4... Anyone.

Xyzzy J

Banned
I've been on Xbox for 11 years but I've completely lost interest now. I checked the other day and I haven't logged into my Xbox One in close to two years. Why would I? Nothing has launched that really blew my mind. The last game I bought for it was Halo 5. I can't even think of a decent first-party Xbox exclusive title that has launched in my two years of Xbox downtime. The only thing I'm thankful for is that the One controller can plug straight into my PC, where I can play Nex Machina to my heart's content.

It's just a depressing time to be an Xbox owner imho.

Fredrik

I do need to just consider Xbox and PC the same platform now. It's a bit weird to me, if Microsoft wants to sell more consoles (Xbone X in this case), then why make all games on both PC/Xbox? Shouldn't the company be some making Xbox only games to push more units?

I also have an Xbone S and a gaming capable PC for what it's worth.
What's confusing?
PS4, PS4 Pro - two platforms, same games.
Xbox One S, Xbox One X, PC - three platforms, same games.
It's all awesome. If you have a gaming capable PC then you're already set for MS exclusives. Just celebrate it, don't complain, it's awesome. You'll get Forza 7 at the highest possible framerate, resolution and visuals. Same thing with Gears of War series, Halo series. I really don't get the people complaining about this. Microsoft's move toward PC is seriously the best thing that has happened to the gaming scene in many years. But everybody can't afford a gaming PC, or don't want a gaming PC, so they'll obviously still sell lots of Xboxes, don't worry about that. They simply have all bases covered now, no matter where you are you'll get the definitive editions on a Microsoft platform.

Head.spawn

You don't think there are more Xbox games in the works? Do you think video games are ending altogether?

I really don't get some of the responses in this thread, on the bottom feeder tier I guess the assumption is that after Spring 2018, MS will have nothing for E3 to show until those games Spencer said he had recent greenlit, arriving in another 2-3 years. Xbox will be on pause until further notice.

There sure are...

- Halo 6
- Gears 5
- Forza Horizon 4

And in a few years we can all look forward to these as well...

- Forza 8
- Crackdown 4
- State of Decay 3
- Ori 3

Gaf makes me feel like an anomaly for loving my Xbox despite it not having any major exclusives like my PS4 or Switch. I actually find myself using those other consoles for primarily exclusives while my Xbox is for everything else. I like the OS, controller, and services (like GwG, BC, and Game Pass) enough on Xbox to justify keeping it as my "primary" platform.

Because of that, I don't get too worked about about quotes like this. Exclusive games outside of what we expect (Halo, Gears, Forza) are just icing on the cake for me personally. If they have projects in the work that just haven't been revealed yet, it really has no bearing on my decisions for right now.

It does bum me out to see people that want to own an Xbox but don't see any personal value in doing so. That's really more of Microsoft's problem than mine though, and it's definitely why they chose to put their first party IP on PC as well.

anothertech

. It will be interesting to see the possible shift from PS4 (Pro) to Xbone X later this year.

There will be no noticeable shift.

What you two haven't factored in is the mid gen refresh aspect. There's over 60M og ps4 owners and likely around 30M Xbone owners at the moment. That's where the main portion of console gaming will continue to happen this gen. And one of those consoles will continue to outperform the other.

A minuscule portion of the hardcore gaming market will consider the pro or Xbonx, and that is likely the portion that switched to ps4 in the first place and has most of its game library/friend list there this gen.

There's a really hard sell when your hardware is the most expensive as well as having a less expensive version of itself that can play all the same games.

It's another case where Sony is playing its cards right, and MS is a little behind the curve on price, VR, and games announcements.

There will be no noticeable shift.

What you two haven't factored in is the mid gen refresh aspect. There's over 60M og ps4 owners and likely around 30M Xbone owners at the moment. That's where the main portion of console gaming will continue to happen this gen. And one of those consoles will continue to outperform the other.

A minuscule portion of the hardcore gaming market will consider the pro or Xbonx, and that is likely the portion that switched to ps4 in the first place and has most of its game library/friend list there this gen.

There's a really hard sell when your hardware is the most expensive as well as having a less expensive version of itself that can play all the same games.

It's another case where Sony is playing its cards right, and MS is a little behind the curve on price, VR, and games announcements.

Your opinion loses any and all credibility when you use the terms "xbone" and "xbonx". Grow up.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I've been on Xbox for 11 years but I've completely lost interest now. I checked the other day and I haven't logged into my Xbox One in close to two years. Why would I? Nothing has launched that really blew my mind. The last game I bought for it was Halo 5. I can't even think of a decent first-party Xbox exclusive title that has launched in my two years of Xbox downtime. The only thing I'm thankful for is that the One controller can plug straight into my PC, where I can play Nex Machina to my heart's content.

It's just a depressing time to be an Xbox owner imho.

sell you xbox and keep it moving

paulogy

Finally finished this interview. Not as many insights as I was hoping except there might be some sour grapes over the Insomniac Spider-Man exclusivity?

With how frequently Aaron number-checked the "1 hour 45 minute" conference length it does make it seem like Xbox made their conference "a little long" on purpose to prove some kind of point.

Did it work?

Top Bottom