• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange: Before The Storm PC uses Denuvo

test_account

XP-39C²
The context you seem to miss is that a legal consumer should never have to go looking for cracks to begin with, especially not when the same publishers do everything lobby wise that those cracking efforts are considered illegal and punishable. That you call this a viable "solution" and a reason not to worry since cracks keeps appearing anyway only shows how absolutely broken this whole approach of the industry is.
Nah, i didnt miss that context. I think its rather a case where you read more into what i was saying, and misunderstood my point. Thats fair enough, misunderstanding can happen. Its also on me to be clear enough with my point.

To clearify, i'm not really advocating for DRM usage like Denuvo, my only point was that the games wont become unplayable if such servers should shut down as long as the games are being cracked. This doesnt contradict with the arugements of using DRM or not. I only mentioned this as info, that if such senario should happen, i hope that people dont think there is no way to play the games anymore. There are often solutions to get the games playable again. Of course it would be easier for people to not having to go looking for a way to patch the games, not saying anything against that :)

Deathknell

Nah, i didnt miss that context. I think its rather a case where you read more into what i was saying, and misunderstood my point. Thats fair enough, misunderstanding can happen. To clearify, i'm not really advocating for DRM usage like Denuvo, my only point was that the games wont become unplayable if such servers should shut down as long as the games are being cracked. This doesnt contradict with the arugements of using DRM or not. I only mentioned it as info, that solutions do exist to make games playable even if an official solution shouldnt be done. Of course it would be easier for people to not having to go looking for a way to patch the games, not saying anything against that :)

Why should we buy legal copy then..
We better pay pirates for their preservation work..

Bluth54

Games For Windows Live incompatibility with anything later than Vista. Fortunately, there's a stickied post containing the crack, which if not pinned by administrators, would be against Steam Discussions' TOS and I'd be banned for even discussing a removal/disabling mechanism.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/22370/discussions/0/828937546147175081/ (the GOG version has most of this all pre-patched so it's the definitive version in every way, ideal for modding out of the box)

It's important to note that such a removal would be impossible with Denuvo outside of dealing with the publisher/studio, god willing, someone out there has backups. We got lucky with Games For Windows Live, TAGES and SecuROM and it really hurts to type that. If 2007 me saw the 2017 version of me typing that, he'd shoot me in the face and put us both out of our misery.

When dealing with SecuROM (Denuvo's previous iteration) and SafeDisc, I have to either crack my legitimate purchase or modify registry files and go through a bunch of technical nonsense to use a DRM scheme that Microsoft doesn't allow on Windows 10 because it contains unremovable vulnerabilities exploitable by malware. On the other hand, at least it was crackable and wasn't reliant on online authentication servers.

I always thought it was strange that Bethesda didn't go back and at least put the GOG version of Fallout 3 on Steam.

Adding Steamworks and fixing up any issues with modern OSs would certainly be nice as well, they could remove the regular versions for sale from Steam, do a relaunch and give away the new version to everyone who already owns it on Steam.

test_account

XP-39C²
Why should we buy legal copy then..
We better pay pirates for their preservation work..
You need to buy the games so that the developers have an income, otherwise they wouldnt be able to make the games. The value is in the game assets, not in the DRM being used. When you buy the game, its also taken for granted that it works at that stage. The senario that is in question is what will happen in X-amount of years.

Downloading cracked .exe files doesnt really have much to do with piracy in that regards either. I remember buying a game back in the days, and i downloaded a cracked .exe simply so i didnt have to insert the CD everytime i wanted to play it.

Its up to each person if they want to donate money to people who do preservation work. This shouldnt affect buying purchases of games however.

synce

I love people bending backwards to find a a problem.

Denuvo isn't a third party software installed on your pc. It's seamlessly integrated into the code of the game, like any api.

It's like the BS of impacting a game's performance. DOOM was one of the best performance graphic-intensive titles of the last three years and it used freaking Denuvo.

That's like saying HIV is fine because it's seamlessly integrated into your immune system.

You can do whatever you want with your money but at least realize this thing will turn into full blown AIDS when Denuvo's servers inevitably die. Just try accessing some Dreamcast DLC today. It should be possible with a company as big as Sega who's still alive right? :)

Fracas

#fuckonami
Doesn't matter to me. No plans to pirate a game and if it looks good, I'll pay for it. DRM has never been a factor in what I buy and it won't ever be.

Kaleinc

Banned
The denuvo hate is such a pile of crap.

You either buy the product for what it is or you don't.

This whole "oh but denuvo makes the game run slower" crap has got to stop. Every single piece of code can be optimized to make the game run better. You either find the performance acceptable or you don't. You don't get to choose which piece of software the devs decide to use.

Denuvo is a tool to protect year long devotions and hard work towards a piece of software. If the devs feel like it may help them against piracy, you don't get to tell them not to do it. Its their game. This shit pisses me off so much.

Don't buy it if you don't want to but stop badmouthing devs who made the choice to use it for christ sake.
Go play some games with Starforce, Securom, GFWL which were never patched out because in 3-10 years nobody gives a shit about your game or whether you can launch it or not. Same thing will happen with denuvo.
And by the way Ubisoft still sells their old shit with drm which won't work on any modern pc so they use cracked exes, they sell you ignorant bastards games with PIRATED CRACKED EXES.

MUnited83

For you.
Again, how do you know that they lost more sales than gained?
Pretty easy: pirates won't ever fucking buy the game to begin with, and they sure as fuck wont mind waiting one goddamn day.
Meanwhile you lost sales from all the legit customers that don't want shit DRM on their games.

Again, how do you know that they lost more sales than gained?

If you propose to any person trained in marketing and tell them to weigh the cost/benefit of a particular strategy:

Con: A product near-identical to your own releases at the exact same time that is FREE but slightly more annoying to acquire, with no other negative consequences, and relies solely on the personal conscience of the market to reject in favor of your product

Pro: A nebulous amount of word of mouth

They would slap the shit out of you.

Paragon

Well it looks like my suspicions were correct: to get ultrawide resolutions working in the game, you need to modify the executable.
To do that you need to crack the game, since Denuvo prevents it. And that breaks the online features.

Unfortunately I already played through the first episode on Sunday night, and the patched version is not finding my saves for Collector's Mode.
Thanks Square-Enix / Denuvo.

horkrux

That's like saying HIV is fine because it's seamlessly integrated into your immune system.

You can do whatever you want with your money but at least realize this thing will turn into full blown AIDS when Denuvo's servers inevitably die. Just try accessing some Dreamcast DLC today. It should be possible with a company as big as Sega who's still alive right? :)

I didn't know you could cure AIDS by using crack

Spinifex

If that's the case, then...

Well then, I guess I will wait until the game is either cracked or Denuvo is removed before I purchase.

Well at least they let me know in advance. Time to not get the PC version.

Hella no am I buying this. The people who don't have a problem with this practice have a severe lack of optics of what they're leading this industry to. This shite is anti consumer to the dot.

I promise to buy it, make sure that I review that it has Denuvo and then refund it.

yet another reason not to buy this game that, as a huge Life is Strange fan who bought that game on multiple platforms, seems completely superfluous and skippable

Looks like I'll be picking up the console version. I was hoping to have both the original and BtS on the same system but oh well.

Only way I can protest is with my wallet

-1 sale

Well, then, I'm absolutely not interested.

They've made pretty much every possible wrong decision in regards to this game.

Sorry, not getting this game anymore. Just cancelled my preorder.

Well passing on it for PC then. Disappointing but I won't support that DRM ever.

iwannaseethereceipts.gif

Top Bottom