• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

After +70 hours, I just found out that you can perform a spin attack while you're surfing on your shield.

This game will never cease to amaze me, cannot wait to finish the game and get into the "Things you don't know you could do in BOTW" thread

I did not know that (then again I never shield surf), and I didn't see it in that thread (which I read every page of).

I think I'm about 80+ hours in now. Absolutely amazing game. One thing I find incredibly lacking though, is the music. I really wish there were more ambient musical tracks playing, with specific motifs for each area, similar to Witcher 3 in recent memory. Having barely any music whilst exploring makes it feel like there isn't much atmosphere to the game. There are some great tracks in the game though, I just wish silence wasn't so prominent, and the combat music didn't exist.

Macchiato

This is absolutely not a criticism, but a thought I had that would be cool.

What if instead of watching the entirety of the memories in short cutscenes, each memory location would throw you back in time to actually play that part of his life? Similar to in the Witcher III when you're finding out what happened to Ciri from the Baron.

I realize it would have been a lot more work, but I think it would have given the story a lot more "oomph".

I kind of hope DLC 2 will have a mechanic like that, where it technically takes place after the defeat of Ganon, and you travel with Zelda from one settlement to another to check out why the Divine Beasts aren't working, but each time you visit a defunct Divine Beast, it throws you back in time to flesh out the back story with the Champions and their relationships with their towns and Link/Zelda.

I'm curious....

How many of you made the recipe for the old man at the start of the game? Did you do that or did you get the warm doublet after he went away?

If you get to the top of mount hylia you get the warm doublet, i always do that.

Yeah, I know.

You can go to that spot, cook the recipe for him at his little shack or simply go back to his shack after you get the paraglider. I was just curious how you guys did it.

I went back to his shack after I got the paraglider. I knew about the reciepe he wanted, but for some reason it didn't click for me that the missing ingredient was a
Hyrule Bass.

I didn't even know that he could meet you in the snow mountains LOL. The diary in his shack will be different depending on how you got the warm doublet.

I'm curious....

How many of you made the recipe for the old man at the start of the game? Did you do that or did you get the warm doublet after he went away?

I made him the recipe for it.

I knew about the reciepe he wanted, but for some reason it didn't click for me that the missing ingredient was a
Hyrule Bass.

Same with me. Took me a little while to try adding
a fish
to the pot.

Vah Naboris
is making me rage quit, I see I get get a certain armor to make fight easy but I'm not doing that, its his lightning strikes when hes close to death that just destroying me, some one hit kills, shock resistance foods doesn't seem to do anything.

Red

I'm curious....

I made the recipe. I'm surprised so many people found it difficult to figure out. Maybe a regional change? I thought the English translation was straightforward.
After +70 hours, I just found out that you can perform a spin attack while you're surfing on your shield.
zfOb1fB_d.jpg

Hackworth

Finally complete, almost exactly a month after I started. I don't want to look at my hours played.

Vah Naboris
is making me rage quit, I see I get get a certain armor to make fight easy but I'm not doing that, its his lightning strikes when hes close to death that just destroying me, some one hit kills, shock resistance foods doesn't seem to do anything.
Are you using Magnesis?

Vah Naboris

It was the last beast I fought, after 200 hours, so I guess I was pretty OP at that point and he never came close to killing me, but I did have more trouble hitting him than I did the others.

Are you using
magnesis to position the metal spikes close to him/over his head? It's tricky to do in time before the spike explodes with lightening, but
that's the trick to defeating him I think.

Saved the last of the four divine beasts.

If I had to rank their difficulty:

Naboris > Ruta > Rudania > Medoh

Now I'm just wandering around, doing side quests and scouring for more shrines. Lucked out on finding the Royal Horse, last night. Thankfully I had some stamina elixirs.

Is it worth it to get the Guardian Armor Set? I'm thinking about gearing up and spamming that Maze Island across the Akkala Sea for more Ancient Gear.

DonShula

This game is an absolute masterpiece and will probably dethrone Ocarina of Time as the greatest game I've ever played.

BUT there is one area where I feel it's not up to par with the other elements... And I'm sure a lot of folks will disagree with me here: the music.

It's just not memorable aside from a few villages. I just entered Zora's Domain and I couldn't pick the track out of a lineup. Same for the overworld theme. The battle theme I can recognize but only because it plays so often and I don't even like it.

Here I want to separate the music from the overall sound design like weapons, horns, sound effects etc. Those are top notch. But the music? It's ok but simply not on par with the rest of this magnificent game.

Fighting words.

The music in this game is amazing. Hateno, Rito, Kakariko, Hyrule Castle... amazing stuff. It rarely overstays it's welcome like past Zelda games where you have to listen to a 45 second loop for an entire dungeon.

DonShula

I have 500+ of some guardian parts. How much do you need to get all the ancient equipment?

I don't know the exact answer but keep in mind you also need it to upgrade a set of equipment. 500 of a single item seems pretty high, except for shafts, which you can always turn into arrows.

DonShula

Saved the last of the four divine beasts.

If I had to rank their difficulty:

Naboris > Ruta > Rudania > Medoh

Now I'm just wandering around, doing side quests and scouring for more shrines. Lucked out on finding the Royal Horse, last night. Thankfully I had some stamina elixirs.

Is it worth it to get the Guardian Armor Set? I'm thinking about gearing up and spamming that Maze Island across the Akkala Sea for more Ancient Gear.

Yes. And that would be a good use for it. But be warned that it does make encounters with guardians... less than challenging.

Red

Fighting words.

The music in this game is amazing. Hateno, Rito, Kakariko, Hyrule Castle... amazing stuff. It rarely overstays it's welcome like past Zelda games where you have to listen to a 45 second loop for an entire dungeon.
I wish Hyrule castle's music changed a little more as you ascend toward the sanctum. It's neat how the exterior/interior tracks fade in and out but it still lacks a sense of escalation as you near the top.

It's a great track all the same.
I don't know the exact answer but keep in mind you also need it to upgrade a set of equipment. 500 of a single item seems pretty high, except for shafts, which you can always turn into arrows.
I've done so much scavenging that 100s of a single item doesn't feel unusual. At one point I had more than 700 apples. It's been maybe thirty hours since I last picked one and I still have close to 500.

Three dozen apples a day keeps disembowelment by moblin away.

I've taken down every guardian I've seen, and I've played around 160 hours. A few trips to Hyrule castle will give you a healthy supply of guardian parts.

Finally complete, almost exactly a month after I started. I don't want to look at my hours played.

Are you using Magnesis?

Yep, that part is easy, I'm having trouble when he's close to death, his lighting strikes are destroying me, I will probably come back to him, he's a pretty badass boss but a little tough early.

Yep, that part is easy, I'm having trouble when he's close to death, his lighting strikes are destroying me, I will probably come back to him, he's a pretty badass boss but a little tough early.

Do you have to reactivate all the terminals if you leave the beast and come back, or is your progress saved and you just have to fight the boss?

Ashhong

Another quick question, which ore/precious stones are safe to sell to vendors? I have a bunch of amber, opals, rubys, diamonds,etc in my inventory. But I have not sold them because I fear that they are used to craft gear later on.

To add onto this, what about stuff like the eye (forgot the whole name) or the bat wings? Can I just sell all of that or will I need it?

I'm curious....

Wait...I must not have been paying attention, he was asking for help with a recipe? And he drops a doublet? Can I go back and do that still? lol

Chauzu

I'm ready for the DLC now. I had done everything except for getting the Kelton medals, and did that now. Been a nice warmup for BotW after a two month break. Just bring on the DLC now!

Anteo

Wait...I must not have been paying attention, he was asking for help with a recipe? And he drops a doublet? Can I go back and do that still? lol

His diary has an incomplete recipe for a anti cold dish. If you figure it out and show it to him he rewards you with a shirt.

If you dont do that and he still hasnt revealed his identity, he will meet you at the highest peak of the plateau and give it to you.

If he already revealed himself, you can find a chest in his cabin with the shirr.

DonShula

His diary has an incomplete recipe for a anti cold dish. If you figure it out and show it to him he rewards you with a shirt.

If you dont do that and he still hasnt revealed his identity, he will meet you at the highest peak of the plateau and give it to you.

If he already revealed himself, you can find a chest in his cabin with the shirr.

LOL, I had no idea about options 2 and 3. I never did the recipe, went to the snowy shrine using dishes I made, and then bought the Warm Doublet in a shop later.

I stopped playing after defeating my 4th divine beast couple of weeks ago or so, kinda got bored after 200 hours. Still have a lot of things to do (currently at 95 shrines and 222 korok seeds) and many side quests. I know the castle section is great and I'm looking forward to it, but don't feel like "finishing the game" right now, and don't feel like doing any of the side quests either...

Also I might be stalling to not let my play time exceed 200 hours before the DLC cause I'd love see a complete picture of the path I took throughout the world. I'll take a screenshot of it for keeps and then continue playing.

My friend hinted at me letting him borrow my Switch and Zelda, and since I haven't been playing it lately my first instinct was to offer him to borrow it, which he welcomed... But then I remembered that save files can't be transferred, so if he likes it and decides to buy one then he'd lose his progress and would have to start over... and if my Switch gets damaged for whatever reason (his cat worries me), he couldn't just buy me a new one since that way I would lose my 200 hours save file... Gonna be a little awkward for me backing out on my offer to lend it to him now :/

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'd never lend a $300 hard to find portable console, no matter how good the friend. Also, cloud saves needs to happen yesterday.

I'd never lend a $300 hard to find portable console, no matter how good the friend. Also, cloud saves needs to happen yesterday.

I normally wouldn't, but this friend has always been very generous with me over the years. He's a high-end PC hardware nut and I've gotten many great hand-me-downs from him for free that would have been out of my price range.

I stopped playing BOTW. I'm gonna wait for the dlc and start from the beginning. It's gonna be amazing.

Yeah I've also been contemplating starting a new game in hard mode and try to defeat Ganon as soon as I can. In my current state the castle and final fight are sure to be a cakewalk, so I'm thinking I'll probably enjoy it a lot more if it was actually challenging, and I don't like the idea of "artificially" crippling my self (i.e. not wear my best armor or use my best weapons), so I should save it for a new much shorter playthrough, then after beating the final boss on hard Mode I can either continue playing for more shrines/quests or I can go back to my previous save file and try to 100% that.

This is absolutely not a criticism, but a thought I had that would be cool.

What if instead of watching the entirety of the memories in short cutscenes, each memory location would throw you back in time to actually play that part of his life? Similar to in the Witcher III when you're finding out what happened to Ciri from the Baron.

I realize it would have been a lot more work, but I think it would have given the story a lot more "oomph".

I kind of hope DLC 2 will have a mechanic like that, where it technically takes place after the defeat of Ganon, and you travel with Zelda from one settlement to another to check out why the Divine Beasts aren't working, but each time you visit a defunct Divine Beast, it throws you back in time to flesh out the back story with the Champions and their relationships with their towns and Link/Zelda.

That would've been amazing indeed

Yeah I've also been contemplating starting a new game in hard mode and try to defeat Ganon as soon as I can. In my current state the castle and final fight are sure to be a cakewalk, so I'm thinking I'll probably enjoy it a lot more if it was actually challenging, and I don't like the idea of "artificially" crippling my self (i.e. not wear my best armor or use my best weapons), so I should save it for a new much shorter playthrough, then after beating the final boss on hard Mode I can either continue playing for more shrines/quests or I can go back to my previous save file and try to 100% that.

That's my plan too although I don't think ill be able to do it with less than 10 hearts and a good armor set

TheMoon

Oh, I see. I just read an article on Kotaku. They're bootlegs. Kind of silly that Nintendo hasn't thought of this as an alternate way for people to get amiibos.

There are Animal Crossing and Mario Sports Superstars amiibo cards. And like a handful for Pokkén, I think.

Red

I've searched Hyrule castle top to bottom multiple times, and cleared every enemy in the place three times over after blood moons. There is no
Farosh scale. Scales for the other dragons can be found, as can fang shards for all three. But no scale from Farosh. I can't imagine being more thorough.
I will gladly be proven wrong but I am confident in this conclusion. I've put around six hours into the search and have turned up nothing.

On to Ganon!

I got killed by a bokoblin during the final fight

Hm, i think something is wrong with the red moon thing.
When it happens, it immediately returns to normal, after the cutscene.

I didn't even had a real red moon phase in my 60 hours of playtime.
Is that a bug?

Already tried to restart the game / console, but it's still the same.

Red

Hm, i think something is wrong with the red moon thing.
When it happens, it immediately returns to normal, after the cutscenes.

I didn't even had a real red moon phase in my 60 hours of playtime.
Is that a bug?

Already tried to restart the game / console, but it's still the same.
The cutscene signals the end of the blood moon.

I'm glad I didn't upgrade my hearts before facing Ganon. The blights were pitifully easy (I got hit twice—once from the fireblight because his recovery was surprisingly quick, and once from the thunderblight because of that quick swing he does). Calamity Ganon was a bit tougher, he had a much larger movepool and it took me a while to learn everything. It was a tense fight. Love that
it requires deflecting a guardian laser—a skill I have been perfecting.

The final battle is kind of boring and not very satisfying. The music is cool. I kind of fucked around seeing what I could do during the sequence. I got killed by a bokoblin shooting arrows at me through a giant golden forcefield.

66.41% complete.

Somehow with only 7 shrines to go I have only 30/42 shrine quests complete.

The cutscene signals the end of the blood moon.

Hm, really?
The red moon is rising (red particles flowing around) and the cutscene starts where zelda is telling me to be careful, because it's blood moon time. But after that, the blood moon turned back to normal.
That's normal? Blood moon is just like 30 seconds?

Red

Hm, really?
The red moon is rising (red particles flowing around) and the cutscene starts where zelda is telling me to be careful, because it's blood moon time. But after that, the blood turned back to normal.
That's normal? Blood moon is just like 30 seconds?
Yes. It respawns defeated enemies. That's the whole thing.

Yes. It respawns defeated enemies. That's the whole thing.

Oh, i just watched a video where it's explained.
The red moon is just there to resurrect the enemies,lol.

Always thought it's a special night where super strong enemies appear, until it's over.

Edit:

Ah, you also edited your post and explained the same.

nelchaar

I honestly don't understand the perfect praise this game got. 60+ hours in and I have no idea. It has so many flaws in so many areas no way is it even close to the perfect scores it got.

Also, that Tempered Power Shrine can go fuck off.

jariw

I honestly don't understand the perfect praise this game got. 60+ hours in and I have no idea. It has so many flaws in so many areas no way is it even close to the perfect scores it got.

Did you read the texts that the scores were attached to?

Shambala

Also, that Tempered Power Shrine can go fuck off.
I agree. Nice game but it ain't no 10 for me. More like a 7

Question.

Living in Japan, have a Japanese Switch, and Japanese copy of BotW. My eShop accesses the US one. Is there a way to change settings to access the JP eShop and buy this asap?

Also I'm guessing this won't go up at midnight like a game launch and will instead go up with an eShop update?

Kolle

Neo Member
Finally got my Switch!
This is my first Zelda, so I'm really excited. Is there something specific I should do in the beginning, or just exploring? Oh, and can I start the game today, or wait for the DLC tomorrow?

Finally got my Switch!
This is my first Zelda, so I'm really excited. Is there something specific I should do in the beginning, or just exploring? Oh, and can I start the game today, or wait for the DLC tomorrow?

I would say just go into it with no expectations or goals and just try to enjoy the world they made, because that's honestly the most compelling thing for me.

If you're interested in playing hard mode your first time though, you could wait for the DLC. Otherwise I'd say don't wait if that's not important to you.

Enjoy! I'm envious of people who get to experience this for the first time haha

Top Bottom