• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonus Round: E3 2012 Preview [Up: Part 5: Thrid Parties Again]

Terrell

Something else to say, about Pachter's comments regarding "losing" the casual market...

While it's undeniable that casual gamers are doing the smartphone thing in the portable space and that it does need to be addressed, I've seen people say the same about the WiiU, as well.

But the problem with this thinking is that all the iPads and iPhones don't address something that the Wii does: a communal play experience. iPads and iPhones are solitary devices for solitary (and occasionally online) play. But people didn't buy the Wii to play by themselves, they bought it because they were sold on what is and always will be Nintendo's biggest strength: local multiplayer in groups. And as long as people still want that, there will always be a market for the Wii brand.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Agree with most of the points you guys are making about Sessler's stance at the recent roundtable, but can we please leave his stuttering out of this? He obviously can't help that.

AHA-Lambda

video unavailable? =/

EDIT: nope, think i've got it. They're talking about Bioshock Infinite, this episode must have been filmed aaages ago =/

The "GTA @ E3" thing is ALWAYS discussed.
Every E3 without fail.

Why?

Because the mindless droves of uneducated masses will watch it anyway just because it mentions anything about Grand Theft Auto.
We all know that Rockstar will never show anything there.

It's simply a marketing ploy for hits and ad $$$.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Weird. The news on Bioshock Infinite's delay hit awhile ago. How long ago was this filmed? Infinite isn't even scheduled to be at E3.

I do agree though. My hype for that game is zero since they never talked about it (and I found Bioshock to be good, if overrated).

BY2K

Membero Americo
Weird. The news on Bioshock Infinite's delay hit awhile ago. How long ago was this filmed? Infinite isn't even scheduled to be at E3.

I do agree though. My hype for that game is zero since they never talked about it (and I found Bioshock to be good, if overrated).

It was filmed a month ago, at the least.

Damn, they only talked about like 4 games, 2 of which aren't even going to be at E3. Not to mention Bungie and Respawn, who also aren't unveiling their projects.

BY2K

Membero Americo
They don't even talk about GTAV that much. Like 5 minutes top. With Pachter saying that speculations says it will be out in October. (Which WOULD explain all those Q3-Q4 games being delayed to 2013).

TripOpt55

If anyone wants to let me know if they say anything interesting, I'd appreciate it. These have been so boring I think I'm not going to bother with this.

They don't even talk about GTAV that much. Like 5 minutes top. With Pachter saying that speculations says it will be out in October. (Which WOULD explain all those Q3-Q4 games being delayed to 2013).

But the whole segment isn't even 15 minutes long so 5 minutes is a sizable chunk. But things do seem to be lining up for Pachter to be right (I know!) about this one.

If anyone wants to let me know if they say anything interesting, I'd appreciate it. These have been so boring I think I'm not going to bother with this.

They don't.

Nibel

Of all third party franchises available Ben Fritz names the Medal Of Honor sequel his most anticipated - everybody has their opinion, but when I think about his previous statements and his overall lack of knowledge, it's somehow funny :lol

AHA-Lambda

But it doesn't explain the delays, other publishers aren't going to know what T2's plans are. Hell they've screwed themselves probably because GTA is 99% likely to be Q1/Spring.

Pach says the new Bungie game will be at e3.

They really shouldn't record these things a month before they finish airing.

Also mentioning Zinga.... Cant wait to see the reaction if MS announces that rumored deal with them to bring zinga games to xbox.

That will be interesting at least if its true.

If they edited it because of recent developments there would be nothing left.

They should have mentioned Bioshock Infinite not being there with some kind of overlay, that's it. The Bungie thing is forgiveable given that's super recent but how old's the Bioshock news now? A week old?

I dunno if anything else happened they might have wanted to point out

edit: Oh god, yeah the GTA stuff, wtf Pachter? Say "no, Rockstar won't be at E3", because they never are

I thought the time from Uncharted 2 to Uncharted 3 was long enough, whereas the time from AC2 - ACB - ACR- AC3 was too short. I do hope they take at least two years off from AC3 to AC3 revisted and etc. Does Ubisoft need AC that much to have it come out yearly for money?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought the time from Uncharted 2 to Uncharted 3 was long enough, whereas the time from AC2 - ACB - ACR- AC3 was too short. I do hope they take at least two years off from AC3 to AC3 revisted and etc. Does Ubisoft need AC that much to have it come out yearly for money?

They lost money for two fiscal years in a row even with AC money, so probably yes. Only last year did they pull themselves out of the pit IIRC.

Globox_82

Banned
Is it just me or does this show seem more and more rushed. Like they are rushing each episode to end asap. It's weird. Like let's talk about AC3 and they are done in two minutes. Done with EA in 4. Seems pointless imo. Especially if Pachter jumps in with his ridiculous predictions that he just pulled out of his rear end just to get more attention.

Penguin

Is it just me or does this show seem more and more rushed. Like they are rushing each episode to end asap. It's weird. Like let's talk about AC3 and they are done in two minutes. Done with EA in 4. Seems pointless imo. Especially if Pachter jumps in with his ridiculous predictions that he just pulled out of his rear end just to get more attention.

Well this is filmed in one day, you have to imagine nearing the end of a 2 hour segment must be draining on all involved.

You can tell this was filmed a while ago due to Pachter's highly relevant and RIB CRACKING Mass Effect 3 ending joke.

Entitled gamerz, lol!

We should get platform announcements for GTA5 at E3, but that's about it. I'm expecting Nintendo to announce it at their conference, and then Sony and MS will confirm that it's also on their platforms. Similar to what happened when GTA4 was announced at the MS conference in 06.

rdrr gnr

I think the "time" for AC3 is a lot longer as the development was started after Brotherhood was it? Well before Revelations was released.

The "GTA @ E3" thing is ALWAYS discussed.
Every E3 without fail.

Why?

Because the mindless droves of uneducated masses will watch it anyway just because it mentions anything about Grand Theft Auto.
We all know that Rockstar will never show anything there.

It's simply a marketing ploy for hits and ad $$$.

I did find it interesting that the first half of the video is titled "Will GTA V Be at E3" - when the question isn't adressed until after the ad break. GT, you cheeky bastards.

But Patcher's comments on Take-Two's bond scenario do sound interesting. They might announce a Rockstar SOMETHING, but unless Agent does mysteriously jump out of the shadows and become the star of the PS conference - it's just gonna be Max Payne 3 DLC.

I've actually quite enjoyed these 4 segments but they all look incredibly uncomfortable sitting on those stools. Surely a flash restaurant has some decent chairs for them to park their arse in.

Go_Ly_Dow

Geoff's been sporting the same shirt in every e3 bonus round, each one was filmed consecutively. (if not then he's a filthy bugger)

More 3rd party next week.

UrbanRats

Ugh, Pachter, drop the Mass Effect 3 thing, please.

I didn't know R* had stopped to go to E3 for the Hotcoffee scandal, seems like a stupid reason.
I always assumed it was more for the GTA3 fiasco:
Dan Houser said:
And then, the early part of showing people the game--including E3 2001--was disconcerting because it was incredibly underwhelming. Because we thought it could be magical. Not the Holy Grail, but this thing that was 3D but open and expansive, combining elements of hardcore action, driving, adventuring--all these genres. Very cinematic and story-driven gameplay, this experience that's really unlike anything you've seen before. And people were scratching their heads around it! We were all, "Are we wrong?"

There was enormous excitement around a few other games coming that fall. We went to E3 and everyone was obsessed by State of Emergency, and no one gave a crap really about GTA III. State of Emergency we thought was interesting, but not without its flaws--some of which never got resolved. But GTA III was already running, and we thought, "This is amazing!" But E3, I think, isn't the best place to show a game anyway, and that's definitely become solidified in our thinking since then.
source: http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=506680&st=140

StuBurns

Banned
Rockstar don't need to go to E3. Preparation for events like that take time and cost money, Rockstar's marketing is the best of the industry. E3 is below them.

UrbanRats

Rockstar don't need to go to E3. Preparation for events like that take time and cost money, Rockstar's marketing is the best of the industry. E3 is below them.

Well, CoD has a big amount of sales granted every year, basically, but still show up at E3.

6 minutes. Not worth a commercial break.

Not really worth the 6 minutes. You hear Jeff pretending it's Sunday talking about the lack of BLOPS2 info when he already revealed the info he is asking about on Thursday (I might have his show confused with Xplay, but I know someone talked about Zombies this week).

Highlights
- COD will sell a billion $.
- WoW doesn't need E3.
- Japan 3rd parties get called out.
- Talk about Metal Gear Rising, but still poorly timed after the Konami presser.

Japanese 3rd parties have moved onto f2p/social/mobile games. That's all they play over there in Asia these days, and it makes so much more money.

They aren't playing catch up to Western developers, they're leaving the market.

jett

D-Member
6 minutes. Not worth a commercial break.

Not really worth the 6 minutes. You hear Jeff pretending it's Sunday talking about the lack of BLOPS2 info when he already revealed the info he is asking about on Thursday (I might have his show confused with Xplay, but I know someone talked about Zombies this week).

Highlights
- COD will sell a billion $.
- WoW doesn't need E3.
- Japan 3rd parties get called out.
- Talk about Metal Gear Rising, but still poorly timed after the Konami presser.

Honestly this entire bonus round has been a waste. They didn't say anything of note.

UrbanRats

I know the Japanese are not the lighthouse of the industry as they were before (as far as consoles goes), but still, a lot of my favorite games lately have been Japanese.
Dark Souls last year was my GOTY, this year could very well be Dragon's Dogma.

Still, i get their point, only, i'm not that worried.

Balehead

Satterhouse's comment on how CoD is going for the loud minority was a bit strange since the stuff they talked about were SP stuff if I'm correct. The Strikeforce missions and multiple endings, changing those won't turn people off the franchise since I'm sure the MP is the thing selling billions.

AHA-Lambda

Satterhouse's comment on how CoD is going for the loud minority was a bit strange since the stuff they talked about were SP stuff if I'm correct. The Strikeforce missions and multiple endings, changing those won't turn people off the franchise since I'm sure the MP is the thing selling billions.

Yea but they've also said they're changing the MP too but just haven't shown anything.

Top Bottom