• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's bankruptcy sale details: Auction on January 22nd, Will Allow Piecemeal Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo for once make a good decision and pickup vigil...

Why do you people do this to yourselves? Iwata has repeatedly explained why Nintendo rarely buy studios & buying Vigil would be a complete waste of money(especially considering Retro have hired ex-Vigil staff fairly recently, & Darksiders is useless to Nintendo).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Being bought by Warner is the best thing that can happen to Metro. I heard good things about people working at Warner distribution.

So, for THQ to stay intact, I assume that any bid for the whole company would have to be larger than the aggregate of the highest bids for each individual studio and/or IP.

RIP.

Crawl

So if the IP's are bought, does that automatically mean the studios working on the games go with them or is it up the publisher if they want to keep the studio as well?

Title by title? Could that potentially separate teams from titles? Like someone buying up Saints Row, but not getting Volition?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Title by title? Could that potentially separate teams from titles? Like someone buying up Saints Row, but not getting Volition?

That could happen, but in the specific case you mentioned, it's unlikely.

It would be far more likely for someone to do something like buying a dormant IP without the developer, like Red Faction or de Blob.

farnham

Banned
I mentioned it in the other thread but....

Rule of thumb for these sort of stories: It's never Nintendo

Nintendos aversion to M&A is mind boggling. If its not the people you at least get the IP. Also max exodus after beigng bought by Nintendo after working with THQ? Is tis realistic?

That could happen, but in the specific case you mentioned, it's unlikely.

It would be far more likely for someone to do something like buying a dormant IP without the developer, like Red Faction or de Blob.
Ah, right, forgot the back catalog. Would that mean we'll see the entire list being auctioned off like Acclaim back in the day?

Derrick01

Banned
I am not a religious man so I'm doing the closest thing to praying that South Park and Obsidian gets to go to someone who won't fuck with the game or the platform it's releasing on. That means none of the big 3 (ea, acti, ubi) and no console makers. The last thing I'd want is to have to cancel my PC preorder because it's origin/uplay all of a sudden or console exclusive.

Xater

As bad as the WWE engine is I dont think EA will make a better game

I don't think EA could buy the WWE stuff. It's just licensed by THQ, so I think stuff like Warhammer, WWE, and probably South Park also has to go through the respective IP holders.

Tagg9

So what's happening to titles that are essentially ready to ship - Metro LL and South Park? Is it now up to someone else to publish these games?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ah, right, forgot the back catalog. Would that mean we'll see the entire list being auctioned off like Acclaim back in the day?

Yeah, the only reason this didn't happen for Midway was because only two companies bought any assets: EA (only a couple like NBA Jam and NFL Blitz) and Warner (they bought everything else with zero opposing bids).

farnham

Banned

Depends how the ip and the studios are organized and hold legally.

It might be that all trademarks etc are hold by the holding company and the studios, as far as they even are legal entities, are all working benches only.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Certainly crossing my fingers that studios and IPs are purchased together now that THQ is going down piece by piece.

So does this mean that THQ is no more or can they still linger in bankrupsy forever and release Xbox Live Indie Games?

Old THQ is "dead", but continues as an entity before being shut down in some manner. If Clearlake bid wins, a new company is formed with the new management team that THQ has been building with Rubin etc. (and continues development as it does today)

So THQ is gone for good now? I really hope EA or Activision doesn't get anything, although i wouldn't be suprised if one of them ended up with everything.

All the IPs THQ had are going to be ruined now.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Nintendos aversion to M&A is mind boggling. If its not the people you at least get the IP. Also max exodus after beigng bought by Nintendo after working with THQ? Is tis realistic?

I think Nintendo of Japan has an overall aversion to increasing the company size and overhead. Even back in the day they created the Pokemon Company to avoid increasing the worksize of the company itself.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Certainly crossing my fingers that studios and IPs are purchased together now that THQ is going down piece by piece.

Apparently the majority of initial interest was expressed in buying them paired, at least with active series.

Man, they are going to be carved up for dinner. Not sure how I feel about that.

Yeah, the only reason this didn't happen for Midway was because only two companies bought any assets: EA (only a couple like NBA Jam and NFL Blitz) and Warner (they bought everything else with zero opposing bids).

Also wasn't there this weird step where the company was sold for $1 to some shady guy?

I only care about Relic.

On that note, what happens with the Warhammer IP? Games Workshop owns it and only license it to THQ, so I assume that means that the license is now open to anyone outside of the THQ bidding process?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom