• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Clearlake enters w/ purchase agreement [OP Update 2]

Kifimbo

What other evidence is there that it is about that?

I was just looking at the wikipedia page for the year, and there's also a bit about Isaac Newton using a prism to split light for the first time, as well as a war on with the English vs the Dutch.

In a TV interview (in French) earlier this year, Désilets said he was leaving for London in a few hours to do some research for his next game.

marrec

Banned
We'll see what will happen. Jason is very positive and this seems like they have a plan.
Employees I also know at THQ seem to know something and are very positive.

I doubt this is a buy out in order to crash the thing. I think they will still operate.

It's not very likely that Clearlake is getting into the Video Games publishing market.

At least let them release their next few games.

that seems to be the plan since Clearlake can get some money out of them if they decide to sell stuff.

We'll see what will happen. Jason is very positive and this seems like they have a plan.
Employees I also know at THQ seem to know something and are very positive.

I doubt this is a buy out in order to crash the thing. I think they will still operate.

But for how long though?

Sad to see THQ finally at roads end. They have a few potentially heavy hitting games in the pipeline, I really hope they somehow can survive for them to be released.

EDIT: Homefront 2 at 4 million sales? Jeezus. How much did the first one sell?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They also have sales predictions in the bankruptcy filing.

thqpredictions6bu8g.jpg

Development budget
budgetx8jnc.jpg

I'm cloning this in a quote and then breaking it into a new thread.

I know, but there has to be a "step one". Getting THQ out of this mess is no easy task.

Should be interesting to see what happens if the time they get is enough or will they end up being broken up and sold.

and it looks like they have till 2015-2016 (since Patrick's game is fiscial 2016)

Natiko

Banned
This sucks :( Hopefully they get to at least get all of their games out before everything gets split up and sold off piece meal style.

jcm

Well, this is a bummer, but it's not terribly surprising. Although I just recently argued with someone who claimed THQ stock was a good investment because it had "nowhere to go but up", so I guess maybe he or she is surprised.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
God speed THQ. Whatever happens, I hope they stay intact, rather than being broken up into pieces. They have three of my most anticipated titles for next year(South Park, Metro, and CoH).

This seems more like a good thing for them, assuming there isn't massive layoffs and its only the owners are being change, THQ gets an influx of much need $$ and the get to shed off some debt because of the bankruptcy

Current mood: cautiously optomistic

Here's to hoping that the internal studios are sold with the IP if it comes to that next year. Otherwise, this is about as good as things could be, considering the circumstances.

FoneBone

The ones that are in the development process and can be released relatively soon will get finished and released. Anything in pre-production will likely be halted.

Yeah, I don't get why people are so concerned about Metro or South Park.

Turtle Rock's game or the Patrice Desilets project... probably not so safe.

Day_of_Reckoning.jpg

WWE_Day_of_Reckoning_2_Coverart.png

such a step forward... :(

Women in front. Day of Reckoning was ahead of its time.

Loved that franchise. I'm worried that we're going to have to wait a while for a new WWE game now. A new studio and a new engine. It may take a couple of iterations to build up the feature set that we've come accustomed too despite THQuality.

Yeah, I don't get why people are so concerned about Metro or South Park.

Turtle Rock's game or the Patrice Desilets project... probably not so safe.
It really depends on how much has been done, how far along, and whether they can get someone to buy in.

This would fall into a case like how Ubisoft eventually picked up Wheelman from Midway and co-published it.

KNT-Zero

Well, I'm not the only one saying this, but I really hope South Park survives this fallout. Coming from THQ, who only gave me bad experiences as a child in the form of game adaptations of Disney movies, I was now expecting a great thing coming along. But if it's thrown away with the rest of the projects they were working on... I don't wanna think of that *sigh*

Pooya

so THQ was up for sale as early as December 2011 through Feb 2012 , there were 6 potential strategic buyers (I guess it means someone in the gaming business) and 7 financial buyers, but none of them were interested in the end.

Well, I'm not the only one saying this, but I really hope South Park survives this fallout. Coming from THQ, who only gave me bad experiences as a child in the form of game adaptations of Disney movies, I was now expecting a great thing coming along. But if it's thrown away with the rest of the projects they were working on... I don't wanna think of that *sigh*

Viacom's funding that.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Metro is all I give a damn about. The rest? Good luck.

God dammit, don't you dare let Darksiders die.

Also, I'm curious about Desilets new IP. Must've been a very good idea for leaving the safety Ubisoft was with the AC IP, and entering into THQ.

Even then, the company seemed in economical troubles.

LowParry

Fuck. Meaning I won't be seeing Darksiders 3 any time soon. Or a new Warhammer console game. I hope there will be more from Relic in the future. COH2 is going to be awesome. But I fear there won't be a Dawn of War 3. :(

BD1

Banned
Please get WWE back to AKI/Syn Sophia.

Nintendo could very easily boost its "core cred" by buying some of these IPs and releasing them as Wii U exclusives. I'm not sure that's really their style though.

South Park is in good hands.

Salsa

dont know if im reading this right but...

- Clearlake stepping in as maybe an opportunity in securing some sort of financial future

- every game that was coming out still coming out

- Saints Row 4 still on the works

Everything_went_better_than_expected.png

Top Bottom