• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

NeoZylom

Jaipur
Race for the Galaxy*
Innovation*
Battleline
Blood Bowl: Team Manager*
Guildhall
Lost Cities
Morels
Hive
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne

War of the Ring****** :)

* = Probably not best for beginner gaming

I would add :
Le Havre 2 Player game and Asante.

Edit : Oh and Mr. Jack

Jaipur
Race for the Galaxy*
Innovation*
Battleline
Blood Bowl: Team Manager*
Guildhall
Lost Cities
Morels
Hive
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne

War of the Ring****** :)

* = Probably not best for beginner gaming

Thanks for the suggestions. A co-worker said he loves morels. I didn't realize it's a two player game. I ordered that and ticket to ride.

Yes, like I said I don't know what they could use. I think that if they can find something they'll do it though.

But what?! I don't know if they're allowed to make stuff up.

The IPV-1 is about 120 meters so smaller than the Corvette and was possibly one of the most used ships in the Imperial Navy.

Granted its not super sexy, but it did first appear in TIE fighter and we've seen a bunch of ships from that game and heck we're even getting a ship that was from Star Wars Galaxies.

EYEL1NER

Being a fighting game aficionado, I have been wanting to get into a fighting game board game. BattleCon and Yomi seem to be the best but the high prices have kept me away. Now there are kickstarters where I could get everything for both games and it would run me even more than they normally would, around $400 to get all cards and expansions. Of course I don't NEED all of them, but what kind of fighting game fan would not want every move, costume, stage, and more?

I haven't kickstarted anything before. I have talked myself in and out of the BattleCon kickstarter that ends in a couple hours. $220 for War and Devastation, the extended editions for both, all promo decks, some expansions, playmats, and more. I could go for a lower pledge, but I feel like I have to buy everything. Still not 100% decided and there are only a few hours left, but I think I will do it.

Being a fighting game aficionado, I have been wanting to get into a fighting game board game. BattleCon and Yomi seem to be the best but the high prices have kept me away. Now there are kickstarters where I could get everything for both games and it would run me even more than they normally would, around $400 to get all cards and expansions. Of course I don't NEED all of them, but what kind of fighting game fan would not want every move, costume, stage, and more?

I haven't kickstarted anything before. I have talked myself in and out of the BattleCon kickstarter that ends in a couple hours. $220 for War and Devastation, the extended editions for both, all promo decks, some expansions, playmats, and more. I could go for a lower pledge, but I feel like I have to buy everything. Still not 100% decided and there are only a few hours left, but I think I will do it.

Phew that's steep for a 2 player board game with so much content you'll probably never even get to half of it.

Karkador

Banned
Yeah I wonder if it would be better for you to get the 2-deck Yomi set and see how deep it goes before commiting that much

Have you tried Puzzle Strike? Think, Super Puzzle Fighter and Dominion mixed together. It's a deck builder that uses chips instead of cards and what you are doing is trying to send gems to your opponent. Have too many gems in your pile at the end of your turn and you are out. It's a fun game that plays best with two and it really feels like Puzzle Fighter.

hat_hair

Yeah I wonder if it would be better for you to get the 2-deck Yomi set and see how deep it goes before commiting that much

Even better than that would be to play some games for free on the Fantasy Strike Website. If you do end up liking Yomi, buying it all at once saves you money, and if you don't like it, you haven't spent a penny.
They also do a Print and Play option if you really want it but don't want to spend a lot of money.

So, a friend introduced me and my wife to Dominion and we were both instantly hooked, what sold it to me was:

1) very easy to pick up but plenty of depth to sink your teeth into as you continue learning the game.
2) Just as much fun with 2 players as 3-4. (Very important to us).
3) Short game times and minimal preparation.
4) so much variation even in the base game let alone the expansions, keeping things fresh and unique from one game to the next.

We instantly bought our own set and have picked up our first expansion (Prosperity) and we've had great success introducing it to friends and family.

What would be everyone's recommendations for other games that hit those same 4 key points that Dominion does? It's not about hitting one or two of those points, the fact Dominion hits all 4 is what is keeping us coming back and making it easy to find people and time to play with.

I feel any games that misses any one of those points just wouldn't be played enough to feel worthwhile to us.

Here's what came immediately to mind:
Seasons - Plays well with four and two. Two different decks in the game plus there are two expansions available. Quick setup time and a four player game will last 90 minutes.

Glass Road - Tons of different buildings, you will very rarely get the same combination twice. Plays great with 2 as it does with four. Game only lasts four rounds and every plays almost simultaneously so it's a fast game.

Copycat - The designer set out to design a game that copied mechanics from other games. There is deck building in this one too. Strange game but fun none the less. My wife and I love this as a two player game but it also plays well with four. Added bonus, it'll give you a taste of a number of different mechanics.

Puzzle Strike - I described it a bit in a previous post. It's basically Dominion with chips instead of cards. In fact the design of the chips was shamelessly stolen by a guy who designed them for his personal dominion set. Anyway, the game is a lot of fun and plays best with two but four works really well.

Karkador

Banned
You could check out the next big game by the same designer of Dominion, Kingdom Builder. The rules are very simple- place your settlements on the map according to the card you draw. The goals and the map layout are different every time, so you are always presented with a new puzzle to try to score the most points on. It's a quick game that you can play often. I think it feels cut from the same cloth as Dominion, but it's an entirely different game.

Was able to try a solo game of Urbion yesterday. Not a bad game. Rules were kinda iffy at first, and I'm still confused on the chaos cards, but I will keep reading up on BGG to understand it completely. Glad to see on there that other people are having the same rules problem as me. :)

Oh, and after 1 playthru, I went and got sleeves. The corners started to break down immediately, so I sleeved them. Not cool with that part, but is it $15 for 106 cards, so I can understand that.

Once I get my head around the little nuances of the game, I can see this being carried with me a lot.

Binabik15

I see people talking about Yomi. Has anybody tried Yomi? Fun and easy enough for an easy to carry yet social time waster on car rides and family gatherings? Are 4 characters enough (or 6 if I print the two free ones from their websites and get the non-starter set) to not get bored after a few times?

I have spend way too much on stuff this month, but one of the 4 char packs would be okay in July, seeing how I couldn't find it on a European web store so far, making it hard to buy it later.

EYEL1NER

Phew that's steep for a 2 player board game with so much content you'll probably never even get to half of it.
I'm a lot less likely to dig heavily into it especially since my main fighting game bro is currently in Japan. Don't know who I will ever play it with. Oh well, I can put it next to all my arcade sticks I never use.
Have you tried Puzzle Strike? Think, Super Puzzle Fighter and Dominion mixed together. It's a deck builder that uses chips instead of cards and what you are doing is trying to send gems to your opponent. Have too many gems in your pile at the end of your turn and you are out. It's a fun game that plays best with two and it really feels like Puzzle Fighter.
I haven't tried it. Haven't tried Dominion for that matter. There is a copy of Puzzle Strike in a GeekAuction ending tonight and I thought about bidding, but it is the second edition I guess. Not sure if the original or the third revision is preferable to that one. I want it though.

Neverfade

There is a copy of Puzzle Strike in a GeekAuction ending tonight and I thought about bidding, but it is the second edition I guess. Not sure if the original or the third revision is preferable to that one. I want it though.

I have a copy of the third edition, very lightly played that I'm looking to get rid of. Got anything to trade? I'd also sell for the right price.

I haven't tried it. Haven't tried Dominion for that matter. There is a copy of Puzzle Strike in a GeekAuction ending tonight and I thought about bidding, but it is the second edition I guess. Not sure if the original or the third revision is preferable to that one. I want it though.
Some of the bigger changes between the second and third edition can easily be house ruled in a second edition set. The other changes are for nerds who spent way too much time bitching about minor balance issues.

I have a copy of the third edition, very lightly played that I'm looking to get rid of. Got anything to trade? I'd also sell for the right price.
Or you can just buy it from Neverfade. I can vouch for him and the games he sells.

Not sure if you bit on this or not but I can tell you just Devastation is stacked with plenty of content and is one of the best two player board games I've played, regardless of whether or not you're a fan of fighters. Totally worth it to pick up on it's own.

Experien

Played Mansions of Madness for the second time and I just don't get why people find it fun. I'll preface this with losing both times but I am not the best at board games so I just care about having fun.

Played a game from one of the newer expansions, Call of the Wild, where we had to find out who is the killer by talking to people (then kill the one and the other 2 can't die). Well the keeper can just keep putting delusions on those people and inhibit you from ever being able to talk to them. I had 10 health and I almost died cause I spent 3+ turns standing by this guy trying to talk to him while he was covered in delusions that has him attack me.

You may say that was a bad DM and probably was but I played another time where the DM could set fires and all outdoors were on fire for good . The game gives you one fire extinguisher that is only one-time-use. That seems like poor design. I know the object isn't to put out the fire but when you have to constantly run across the board to get items and you have to dodge fire for every area, you got problems.

I've only played House on Betrayal Hill once but it feels like it covers the modular, creepy, monster game category better even if I hear if you don't pick the person with the right hobbies, you could lose the game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Played Mansions of Madness for the second time and I just don't get why people find it fun. I'll preface this with losing both times but I am not the best at board games so I just care about having fun.

Played a game from one of the newer expansions, Call of the Wild, where we had to find out who is the killer by talking to people (then kill the one and the other 2 can't die). Well the keeper can just keep putting delusions on those people and inhibit you from ever being able to talk to them. I had 10 health and I almost died cause I spent 3+ turns standing by this guy trying to talk to him while he was covered in delusions that has him attack me.

You may say that was a bad DM and probably was but I played another time where the DM could set fires and all outdoors were on fire for good . The game gives you one fire extinguisher that is only one-time-use. That seems like poor design. I know the object isn't to put out the fire but when you have to constantly run across the board to get items and you have to dodge fire for every area, you got problems.

I've only played House on Betrayal Hill once but it feels like it covers the modular, creepy, monster game category better even if I hear if you don't pick the person with the right hobbies, you could lose the game.

Well shit we were planning on getting Mansion of Madness. Any other opinions?

Never had any issues with Mansions of Madness like that, but that might be something to do with that one expansions or perhaps rule misunderstandings?

We've always liked Mansions of Madness, it's only major issue being the ridiculous amount of set up required. Typically have to spend like half an hour to set up the scenario before players show up otherwise it usually will bore everyone. Game has way too many components especially with all the little puzzles and such. The game plays decently and has some unique aspects, and it plays very fast too, but that set up.... ugh.

Experien

Never had any issues with Mansions of Madness like that, but that might be something to do with that one expansions or perhaps rule misunderstandings?

We've always liked Mansions of Madness, it's only major issue being the ridiculous amount of set up required. Typically have to spend like half an hour to set up the scenario before players show up otherwise it usually will bore everyone. Game has way too many components especially with all the little puzzles and such. The game plays decently and has some unique aspects, and it plays very fast too, but that set up.... ugh.

Yep, 4 of use played a bunch of other games while the guy (who only knew how to play the 1st scenario of the expansion) set it up. Of course other people playing the game along by us took near 5 hours.

Blizzard

Banned
This weekend I went to a game party, and among other things we played Terra Mystica. It had a lot of little pieces, and had similar mechanics to several other games. For example, it had a Settlesr of Catan style board with initial settlement placement, and some Agricola-style board space claiming, plus some miscellaneous resource management.

I ended up not building near other players since it was my first game, trying to upgrade early, and then realized I had made a horrible mistake and could scarcely get any workers. I ended up 3 out of 5 scorewise and the owner said they were surprised I did that well.

That bad? My 10 year old son really wants it. Any chance that he might like it. His main allure is the artwork.

He might, I found it really boring and anticlimatic but a kid might enjoy it more.

It's only $15 for what could be a great gift so I say go for it.

bebop242

Yea that's what I was thinking but he's been waffling between that, Munchkin, and Timeline. Might try to sway him forwards the other to instead.

Thanks for the response.

Yea that's what I was thinking but he's been waffling between that, Munchkin, and Timeline. Might try to sway him forwards the other to instead.

Thanks for the response.

It does seems better than those other two. At least it's short, unlike munchkin.

EDIT: Maybe the new version of catacombs could be good for him if he is in a dungeon mood.

Karkador

Banned
That bad? My 10 year old son really wants it. Any chance that he might like it. His main allure is the artwork.

Wow, that's weird. The game clearly appeals to the nostalgia-feels of kids who were born in the 80s, but why does it matter to your son?

I know the NES-style box art (and the adorable expansion box that looks like a OG gameboy box) is something I want to just hold, but I grew up with those videogames. Is your 10 year old kid a time traveler from the 90s?

Also yeah, Catacombs is fun and the new version looks great.

It is sad that I actually remember reading those posts now that you pointed them out. I don't think we will have a problem with setup. We play TI3 and Descent 1st edition lol

If someone is willing, they should set up the game before folks come to play it. Any time we've played it, I usually set it up and have the game ready to go before players get to my place, that way it doesn't bore them. Problem is that it means whoever sets up is stuck as the keeper player always which to some is a big turn off.

clockpunk

Out of interest, could you recommend a postal service cheaper than Royal Mail? I have some box sets to sell but the postage is getting on for £10, when the game is £15.

Sorry for the delay in my replying - I *always* use MyHermes courier service - £2.95 for light games, or a pound more for heavier boxes, covered up to £50 and tracking included as standard. Plus they have a lot of dropoff points.

Most traders on Boardgamegeek through the Maths trade use this service. :)

Hope that helps!

joelseph

So I played Boss Monster, got lured in by the nice graphics. My god what a terrible game, completely boring.

Two thumbs down.

I enjoy the game. Own it and the expansion and it sees pretty regular play.

I find that most people see the simple gameplay and luck involved and are immediately turned off. What is missed is the building strategies and "take that nature" of the spell system, both of which elevate this above a mindless luck based affair.

clockpunk

I enjoy the game. Own it and the expansion and it sees pretty regular play.

I find that most people see the simple gameplay and luck involved and are immediately turned off. What is missed is the building strategies and "take that nature" of the spell system, both of which elevate this above a mindless luck based affair.

The items in Tools of Hero-Kind really do improve the base game somewhat - I would recommend checking that out to see if it improves the game for you.

It is sad that I actually remember reading those posts now that you pointed them out. I don't think we will have a problem with setup. We play TI3 and Descent 1st edition lol

Speaking of Descent, how bad is it as far as set up. It look like a lot of fun and I am still in search for good co-op game that is easy for casual to play. (Descent doesn't look like that game, however).

Speaking of Descent, how bad is it as far as set up. It look like a lot of fun and I am still in search for good co-op game that is easy for casual to play. (Descent doesn't look like that game, however).

Descent 2nd edition is pretty quick set up really, it's a much smaller game than the original Descent. Scenarios in Descent 1st Edition were usually 3 to 4 times the size in scope and components.

The more expansions/rules you add in to the game, the more set up time your going to add as almost each expansion has added new rules with components that go with it to the game.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
I've played Boss Monster a couple times, but only 2 player. Both people I played with enjoyed it and I did to. I liked how the game starts with trying to force heroes over to the other player, causing damage, then shifts to stealing them away for the points.

Zombicide Season 3 is selling like nuts even with the meh rewards so far. Whats funny is that they are selling once again stuff they sold back in Season 2's kickstarter, that they have yet to deliver to their backers.

Zombicide Season 3 is selling like nuts even with the meh rewards so far. Whats funny is that they are selling once again stuff they sold back in Season 2's kickstarter, that they have yet to deliver to their backers.
I'd always wanted to back Zombicide and this is my first chance to actually do it. But now looking at it I'm a little underwhelmed.

If they weren't so expensive I'd love to nab the minis for Saun of the Dead, Walter, and the Dude off eBay.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

1st edition most certainly is not. Not even close. 2nd edition is much lighter and plays out much faster. While 2nd is still good, everyone prefers 1st. 2nd is all about racing, basically. The overlord is trying to do something before the heroes and vice versa. 1st edition is straight up epic ass dungeon crawls. The feel is much different but the gameplay is top notch in both, as well as the quality of the components and everything.

fenners

I'd always wanted to back Zombicide and this is my first chance to actually do it. But now looking at it I'm a little underwhelmed.

Buy the base game/"season 1". It's great value IMO & still the best starting point to see if you want more - if you do, buy Toxic Mall or consider jumping into this kickstarter... But the base game is still the thing you should buy first.

Buy the base game/"season 1". It's great value IMO & still the best starting point to see if you want more - if you do, buy Toxic Mall or consider jumping into this kickstarter... But the base game is still the thing you should buy first.
Thanks, I actually do have the base game already and we find it fun. :)

Top Bottom