• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Apenheul

The loot that carries over from quest to quest is basically what makes Pathfinder ACG IMO. There's a bit of a dull game underneath all this; the interesting choices take place when deciding which stats to boost or which weapons/spells/armor to keep, not so much during enemy encounters or which location to visit.

Sometimes I don't know if I actually like the game or not, but I do know that it plays way better with a role-playing mindset than a gaming-mindset.

Well, I got Descent and we played a few games last night. The group really like the game but I find Overlord to be a bit weak. It could be because it's early quests we were playing with.

Also we find Dicemasters game at my local Fred Myers store yesterday to our surprise.

Got in Marvel Villains Legendary. Damn what a huge box. Course they didn't follow a theme with this one, so it's a skinnier but longer box this time around.

Well, I got Descent and we played a few games last night. The group really like the game but I find Overlord to be a bit weak. It could be because it's early quests we were playing with.

Also we find Dicemasters game at my local Fred Myers store yesterday to our surprise.

The first few scenarios really favor the players in Descent 2nd ed. They are super easy.

Got in Marvel Villains Legendary. Damn what a huge box. Course they didn't follow a theme with this one, so it's a skinnier but longer box this time around.

The first few scenarios really favor the players in Descent 2nd ed. They are super easy.
The players seems to have it easy so far. We are almost at the end of Act1 and they only lost one encounter so far (result of poor roll). Though we also did few things incorrectly that might favored the heroes a bit but so far I find being overlord is an exercise in frustration.

19Kilo

Star Realms is out on Android. I already have the physical game as well, but this is really good. Online play, pass and play, vs. AI, campaign, etc.

In-app purchase ($4.99) unlocks online play, and that purchase also unlocks the game for future versions (iOS, PC, Mac).

More here.

j-wood

So I just bought "Last Night on Earth" and had a blast with it over the weekend. Which expansions, if any, are worth it?

ultron87

I think Snake Oil has become my favorite game in the "give cards to a judge" genre. It requires way more performance than Apples to Apples or CAH, so it might not sit well with some members of a group if they aren't comfortable giving improv sales pitches. If you get the right group of people together for it it is so good.

joelseph

I think Snake Oil has become my favorite game in the "give cards to a judge" genre. It requires way more performance than Apples to Apples or CAH, so it might not sit well with some members of a group if they aren't comfortable giving improv sales pitches. If you get the right group of people together for it it is so good.

This seals the deal. I must own this game.

Karkador

Banned
Star Realms is out on Android. I already have the physical game as well, but this is really good. Online play, pass and play, vs. AI, campaign, etc.

In-app purchase ($4.99) unlocks online play, and that purchase also unlocks the game for future versions (iOS, PC, Mac).

More here.

I've been playing this a lot lately, and losing....almost 100% losses, lol. Lots of fun!

Yeah this game seemed pretty fun when I first saw it. Improv/storytelling games can be a lot of fun. Apples to Apples and CAH are so passive and rote, it's really boring.

Help please,
Are these the sleeves I need for something like X-Wing Miniatures? Thanks

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/139023

I sort of collect at least one of every X-Wing minis ship. It's starting to become very expensive! I haven't yet pulled the trigger on the two big ships. I'm just not so sure how fun it is to play with them, especially the transport ship which as cool looking as it is, it seems rather dull. Any feedback?

I also am wondering which ships (besides basic X and TIE) are worth buying duplicates. I know that is based on strategy, but still, in general.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
So I just bought "Last Night on Earth" and had a blast with it over the weekend. Which expansions, if any, are worth it?

I have the Growing Hunger expansion and it made me love LNoE even more. It adds some nice new features and customizable rules.

Experien

Help please,
Are these the sleeves I need for something like X-Wing Miniatures? Thanks

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/139023

I sort of collect at least one of every X-Wing minis ship. It's starting to become very expensive! I haven't yet pulled the trigger on the two big ships. I'm just not so sure how fun it is to play with them, especially the transport ship which as cool looking as it is, it seems rather dull. Any feedback?

I also am wondering which ships (besides basic X and TIE) are worth buying duplicates. I know that is based on strategy, but still, in general.

The instructions of Fantasy Flight games have a color coding to the size of their cards for their own card sleeves. Someone online said Yellow and Grey colors but I can't officially check them. Their official sleeves say Yellow is 41x63 MM and Grey is 63.5 x 88 MM.

As for duplicates...Imperials are good in swarms.

Thanks!

An instance of, RTFM? :)

Currently I have one Millennium Falcon, one Slave 1, one Lambda Shuttle, one HWK-290, one Y-Wing, one Advanced TIE, three X-Wing, and five TIE.

I am bulk buying ships I don't yet have. I thought the rebel Aces a good deal, but should I get the standalone A and B wings, for example? There's also the Imperial Aces which seems nice.

Thanks!

Currently I have one Millennium Falcon, one Slave 1, one Lambda Shuttle, one HWK-290, one Y-Wing, one Advanced TIE, three X-Wing, and five TIE.

I am bulk buying ships I don't yet have. I thought the rebel Aces a good deal, but should I get the standalone A and B wings, for example? There's also the Imperial Aces which seems nice.

You might not want a ton of the aces sets, you will want the basic ships in larger quantities, most of the aces stuff are higher priced game wise. And really with one set, you get the components that you swap out and just use your grunt ships as aces as well since you just slot in the ship ID onto the base, the mini is just there to look cool.

Phthisis

Thanks!

With the launch of the Z-95, their whole design goal was to be able to finally give the Rebels a swarm option. So if you want to field swarm, Z-95s are your ticket. Otherwise, on the whole, Imperial ships are usually cheaper, so having more gives you more versatility. B-Wings are powerhouses, but they're expensive. I usually don't field more than 2 at a time. A-Wings are fun to fly, but pretty weak, so again more than 2 is usually kind of meh.

Swig_

I have a friend that I need to buy a birthday gift for.

He likes Card Games (as in Poker, Blackjack), Drinking (alcohol) and Board Games. He used to be really into D&D, but not so much anymore.

I'm looking for suggestions, most likely a board game. Something that is fun for just two players, but can be played with more would be ideal. Any suggestions?

Hell, I'll take non-board game suggestions, as I'm not sure what to get him. lol.

I was considering something like Lords of Waterdeep, but I'm open to any other suggestions.

Karkador

Banned

He likes Card Games (as in Poker, Blackjack), Drinking (alcohol) and Board Games. He used to be really into D&D, but not so much anymore.

I'm looking for suggestions, most likely a board game. Something that is fun for just two players, but can be played with more would be ideal. Any suggestions?

Hell, I'll take non-board game suggestions, as I'm not sure what to get him. lol.

I was considering something like Lords of Waterdeep, but I'm open to any other suggestions.

I'd say that if he likes Poker, then Coup is a very good game about bluffing, but that's not a good 2 player game (as far as I know).

Citadels has some similar qualities, and is also good with 2 to ~5, but is a little more meaty than Coup (I think you could play Coup drunk, if that's what you're aiming for). This is the highest-rated game of its kind.

Other suggestions I can give you: Liar's Dice for a very simple and quick bluffing game (there are various boxed versions of this, but you can just buy a bunch of dice and play), Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation if you want a really good and quick 2-player strategy game with bluffing (and if they like LOTR), and I mean...if you want to just play an excellent game for liars with a group of 5+, you cannot go wrong with The Resistance/Avalon

To add to Karkador's list; Love Letter and Mascarade are both light card games with elements of bluffing. Jungle Speed is either too good or too bad when played with alcohol involved and seems to be pretty easy to find in stores.

Phinor

More here.

Thank you for linking this. Android still has very few digital board games compared to iOS so every good game released counts for a lot. Never played Star Realms before but after few plays it's a really good and fast playing card game. Not sure how much depth or longevity there is but right now it's one of the best digital board games on the platform.

Icefire1424

Other suggestions I can give you: Liar's Dice for a very simple and quick bluffing game (there are various boxed versions of this, but you can just buy a bunch of dice and play).

I'll second this one, very simple game to play, but a lot of fun. Can re-live some memories from Red Dead Redemption while you're at it (cheap whiskey not included in dice set).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
In what I promised myself would be the last board games i buy in at least 2 days I got Space Alert finally and Claustrophobia :D

Hey guys, I'm a pretty seasoned boardgamer, but I'm looking for games to take when I move overseas for my new job. Ideally, this means I can pick up several games that are either strategically deep/interesting, or fun in a slightly more casual setting (hopefully a little of both) and will take up very little space in a backpack/suitcase. So I'm looking for recommendations: what are your favorite games with small packaging? It would also work if the game could be fit into a smaller box than its original packaging.

Hey guys, I'm a pretty seasoned boardgamer, but I'm looking for games to take when I move overseas for my new job. Ideally, this means I can pick up several games that are either strategically deep/interesting, or fun in a slightly more casual setting (hopefully a little of both) and will take up very little space in a backpack/suitcase. So I'm looking for recommendations: what are your favorite games with small packaging? It would also work if the game could be fit into a smaller box than its original packaging.

Innovation!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

King of Tokyo?

Neverfade

Innovation!

The best!

Also Chronicle, Blood Bowl: Team Manager, Glory to Rome, Avalon, One Night Werewolf, Guildhall.

Edit:

Also, I'm about to throw up some games to cull on BGG later, if anyone here wants first dibs I'm trying to sell Agricola + Both Xpacks, Bremerhaven, Puzzle Strike, Smash Up, and Ghost Stories.

In what I promised myself would be the last board games i buy in at least 2 days I got Space Alert finally and Claustrophobia :D
I watched a gameplay video of Space Alert on YouTube, and while awesome looking, I feel like I'd hurt someone while playing. lol
It was so hectic and high stress.

Amazon dropped the price of the Tantive IV to $55 so I pulled the trigger. Best price I've seen for it anywhere.

Also about to put an order in to CSI for Eldritch Horror, its expansion, King of Tokyo, and the expansion for Spartacus.

I watched a gameplay video of Space Alert on YouTube, and while awesome looking, I feel like I'd hurt someone while playing. lol
It was so hectic and high stress.

Amazon dropped the price of the Tantive IV to $55 so I pulled the trigger. Best price I've seen for it anywhere.

Also about to put an order in to CSI for Eldritch Horror, its expansion, King of Tokyo, and the expansion for Spartacus.

How is Spartacus if you don't mind me asking? I am assume it is at least decent if you buy an expansion. I saw one yesterday at my local B&N on clearance. (I picked up Zombies!!! and Catan portable edition for $12.00).

fenners

Claustrophobia's a great wee game that gets completely overlooked because it's a 2 player only dungeon crawler IMO. It's got great atmosphere, great asymmetry, and tough decisions constantly. Love it.

Looking forward to the expansion getting back in print at a reasonable price.

fenners

Also, I'm about to throw up some games to cull on BGG later, if anyone here wants first dibs I'm trying to sell Agricola + Both Xpacks, Bremerhaven, Puzzle Strike, Smash Up, and Ghost Stories.

Agricola The Goodies? As much as I'd like it for a bargain, you know the prices it goes for recently, right? :)

How is Spartacus if you don't mind me asking? I am assume it is at least decent if you buy an expansion. I saw one yesterday at my local B&N on clearance. (I picked up Zombies!!! and Catan portable edition for $12.00).
My friends and I like it a lot. I've played it at the game store with basically strangers and at home with friends.
It has strategy thanks to the different house abilities, and combat isn't necessarily the way to win. It all revolves around your chosen houses influence which is gained in a variety of ways.
I even taught the game to my wife and she has very little skill with board games.
It also has a lot of theme if you are a fan of the show or history of gladiators.

More here.

Still waiting for this to release on iOS but just wanted to say that Star Realms is fucking legit. It's fast-paced, streamlined, and in-your-face. The focus on direct combat really appeals to me as an ex-TCG guy more than something like Ascension's honor mechanic. Fantastic little game that everyone should try. Quick to play and even quicker to learn.

*twiddles thumbs until iOS version passes certification*

I think it's great. One of my favorite games. I think it's a little underrated because a lot of people into miniatures combat voted it down because that's the weakest part of the game, but it's still theme-y fun. I think it has something for everyone and the money mechanic is really fun especially with really creative and devious people. The first time you promise someone coins for a promise and then refuse to pay up is priceless.

Pau

More here.
Grabbed this since they fixed it for Galaxy S3 and it's doing a good job of distracting me from finals. Hard to play on a small screen though. Can't really read anything and the art isn't very clear.

I'm not very good at it. By the time I build up a nice enough deck, I'm already behind. :( I don't know if there's any reason for choosing the blue faction that heals you and gives you money over straight up going for combat cards.

Karkador

Banned
Yeah I've tried experimenting against the AI, just collecting cards of one faction during one play, to see how each one goes. These are just my inexperienced comments, and I'm terrible at the game, so feel free to correct me!

The Green (Blob) faction seems to just get the job done, with huge-damage cards along with a few that give you the crucial extra draws. I've not really found a downside to them yet

The Blue faction gives you a lot of money and healing, but no attack and no other extra draw, or deck-thinning abilities. The problem is that this faction just seems to bloat the deck a lot. By the time I have a decent amount of blue healing cards in the cycle, the enemy is doing tons of damage - and whatever those cards might heal is not enough to keep up.

The Yellow faction is interesting in that they have a lot of "make the enemy discard a card" effects, plus a few extra-draw abilities, and they have some decent attack - AND Recycling Center, which is a nice base to have, indeed. Making the opponent discard a card or two can make or break a devastating combo they might have waiting - if you're lucky. Without deck-thinning abilities, though, I have gotten stuck more than once with this faction.

The Red faction seems like it would be good - potent attack cards, lots of Ally attack abilities, Mech World, lots of deck-thinning - but I don't know. Something about it just seems to lack that extra push to get the job done.

So it seems you maybe need to mix the factions a bit? Unless you're playing Blob. Of course, the order that the cards come out in makes a difference, too.

I feel that this is a game where thinning your deck is not really that viable of a strategy. At least, against the AI, it seems like by the time you really get around to thinning, you're losing.

I found Blob to lack the economy cards of other factions. Whenever I go full on Blob if the AI survives the initial attack runs then I'm playing catchup for the rest of the game. It depends on the cards that are out, but given the choice I tend to favour a mix of the Federation for their tankyness and economy and then grabbing either the Machine Cult or Blob depending on how the enemy is playing. Haven't really found a use for the Yellow faction although they have some fun cards.

joelseph

I think it's great. One of my favorite games. I think it's a little underrated because a lot of people into miniatures combat voted it down because that's the weakest part of the game, but it's still theme-y fun. I think it has something for everyone and the money mechanic is really fun especially with really creative and devious people. The first time you promise someone coins for a promise and then refuse to pay up is priceless.

Spot on review. Great game. Will ruin friendships!

MikeRahl

Went to the thrift store last night...

come home with 4 bags full of these

http://imgur.com/a/330EU

Most of them hadn't even been played (a few are unopened) a couple of them maybe have 1 play on them.

I will never find something like that ever again.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Most of them hadn't even been played (a few are unopened) a couple of them maybe have 1 play on them.

I found an open but never used copy of Descent: Well of Darkness at Half Price books. Unpunched cardboard and the figures still unopened.

MikeRahl

I found an open but never used copy of Descent: Well of Darkness at Half Price books. Unpunched cardboard and the figures still unopened.

I am most impressed with the Iron Dragon.

Big fan of Crayon Rails. This is probably in the roughest shape but oddly looks like it has never really been played. Box is pretty rough and one of the board pieces has some issues but there is no sign of Crayon at all on the map and most of the crayons are still in their packaging.

All the chits are still there as well... including about 20 spare ones for some reason

Icefire1424

Not sure if it's a blessing or a curse that I'm exposed to even more games I've never heard of through this thread, but suddenly need. Been hesitant to pull the trigger on Descent since I doubted I would be able to get more than 2 people to the table for a game, then I hear about Claustrophobia, which would definitely scratch that dungeon crawler itch and be a lot easier to get to the table.

Speaking of dungeon crawlers, apparently my old copy of Heroquest still exists in the attic of my parents house, with a few components scattered among our old War Hammer stuff. Really curious / anxious to see if it's all still there, and in what sort of condition. Would love to play that again without having to drop $100+ for a copy somewhere else. /crosses fingers.

Karkador

Banned

Aww man, jealous of you finding Through the Ages, which I've been enjoying on BGA. Where are these thrift stores that people find games? I've never found board games at any thrift stores I've been to.

MikeRahl

I've had good luck at Value Village in Canada.

Through the Ages is in mint mint condition. The person who had it only played the introductory game, the II and III decks are still in their wrapping.

Most of the time when I go to the thrift stores, there is a small section of board games, but for the most part it is filled with Monopoly's and Candy Lands and that kind of junk.

Where I found this has a bigger section (probably about 30 feet along a wall) but that generally means more room for junk. Except for yesterday of course.

Top Bottom