• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From the AP - Kusher: I didn't read Donald Jr's email chain

President Donald Trump's son-in-law says that he only had four contacts with Russians during the campaign and presidential transition and that none of them were improper.

Jared Kusher also says he never colluded with any foreign government during the presidential campaign. He also is denying that Russians finance any of his business in the private sector.

Kushner is disclosing the information in an 11-page statement provided to The Associated Press. The release of the statement comes just hours before he is to be interviewed by a Senate committee investigating Russia's meddling in the 2016 election and any possible collusion by Trump associates.

The interview with the Senate intelligence committee is behind closed doors.

Full story from the AP is here.

The most damning thing here is the alleged negligence when it comes to emails. Something the GOP was ready to crucify Hillary Clinton for. The full statement from the White House is 11 pages, so a lot to talk about.

Lock this thread if old.

lush

Closed Interviews with the Senate and House Intelligence Committees while refusing to testify under oath. Same as Manafort and Trump Jr. The most transparent administration.

So that secure FSB backchannel he requested of Kislyak to go around his own security services was just for giggles?

Now we'll be counting down to leaks that prove he did know.

Saya

And he didn't read the email subject line either? But he did show up to the meeting...

Of all the people involved in this mess I hope Kushner will serve the longest time in prison.

I dont know about you guys, but when i get invitations to meetings in work, i never read what its about, or whos going, i just turn up and hope for the best.

nitronite

According to him, this is what he did during the infamous Don Jr. meeting. Funniest thing I've read all day:
Jared Kushner said:
"n looking for a polite way to leave and get back to my work, I actually emailed an assistant from the meeting after I had been there for ten or so minutes and wrote 'Can u pls call me on my cell? Need excuse to get out of meeting.' I had not met the attorney before the meeting nor spoken with her since. I thought nothing more of this short meeting until it came to my attention recently."

Must have been a pretty crap meeting!

Some more gems:
Jared Kushner said:
"There was one more possible contact that I will note. On October 30, 2016, I received a random email from the screenname 'Guccifer400.' This email, which I interpreted as a hoax, was an extortion attempt and threatened to reveal candidate Trump's tax returns and demanded that we send him 52 bitcoins in exchange for not publishing that information. I brought the email to the attention of a U.S. Secret Service agent on the plane we were all travelling on and asked what he thought. He advised me to ignore it and not to reply -- which is what I did. The sender never contacted me again."

UberTag

I dont know about you guys, but when i get invitations to meetings in work, i never read what its about, or whos going, i just turn up and hope for the best.
Don't forget the part where you turn up late and then promptly Email a subordinate to call you so you can immediately bail from it because of how uninteresting and untreasonous it is.

avaya

The subject line of the email is literally "Russia - Clinton - private and confidential". I mean this is clown shoes.

jmood88

"I just walked upstairs to find a bathroom and saw Don Jr, so I decided to say hi. I had no idea that he was in a meeting and I left as soon as I realized he was talking to Russian people."

The subject line of the email is literally "Russia - Clinton - private and confidential". I mean this is clown shoes.
"I don't have an email account."

"I am not aware" "have no knowledge of" "do no recall."

So basically he leaves the door open that all these things have happened, will come to light later on, and he can just say he didn't know.

avaya

Why have they agreed to a closed session hearing where these cunts are not under oath?

String the fuckers up.

Tovarisc

"I am not aware" "have no knowledge of" "do no recall."

So basically he leaves the door open that all these things have happened, will come to light later on, and he can just say he didn't know.

According lawyer speak I have seen on news and twitter (by several lawyers) saying "I didn't know" won't save your ass in the end if there is enough solid evidence. Just because you didn't know you were committing crime doesn't mean you didn't commit crime.

As ex-CIA director Brennan said: “People who go along a treasonous path do not know they are on a treasonous path until it is too late.”

And some morons just show up to a meeting, I guess.

Documents confirm my memory that this was calendared as "Meeting: Don Jr.| Jared Kushner." No one else was mentioned.

I’m glad that’s straight. I know for sure when *I* collide with foreign governments, I make sure it’s scheduled properly “Meeting: Collussion | Russia”

Edit: also Paul Manafort was CCd on the email... assuming he has someone who schedules meetings for him, *they* would’ve read the email, no?

avaya

I’m glad that’s straight. I know for sure when *I* collide with foreign governments, I make sure it’s scheduled properly “Meeting: Collussion | Russia”

Edit: also Paul Manafort was CCd on the email... assuming he has someone who schedules meetings for him, *they* would’ve read the email, no?

He apparently didn't either.

Trump never knew either. He just made his "damaging Clinton information coming soon" speech a few hours after the meeting, it was purely coincidental.

All of this is incredibly believable.

Nah, claiming ignorance just doesn't work as long as Manafort was there. He was an experienced political consultant and the head of the Trump campaign. You expect me to believe that he let high-ranking members of the campaign walk into a meeting with a foreign power, one he was personally very familiar with no less, who were offering opposition intel without carefully briefing everyone first?

GutsOfThor

And he didn't read the email subject line either? But he did show up to the meeting...

Of all the people involved in this mess I hope Kushner will serve the longest time in prison.

That's cute that you think any of these people will serve time in prison. They're all rich and white!

RPGCrazied

This is so pointless being closed and not under oath. But its not like it matters. Sessions lied during his under oath hearing and still is AG, when he should be in jail.

Maledict

The notion that people with that amount of money and business responsibilities just rockup to a random meeting without knowing what it's about, in the middle of a presidential campaign, is so ludicrous as to be ridiculous. These people have their diaries organized months beforehand - as Game Change put it, Hillary Clinton had her lunches arranged over a year in advance.

You have to be willfully stupid to believe his tale of events. It just doesn't happen.

The notion that people with that amount of money and business responsibilities just rockup to a random meeting without knowing what it's about, in the middle of a presidential campaign, is so ludicrous as to be ridiculous. These people have their diaries organized mo this in advance - as Game Achange put it, Hillary Clinton had her lunches arranged a year in advance.

You have to be willfully stupid to believe his tale of events. It just doesn't happen.

Honestly with the Trump campaign, I could buy it. The whole thing was designed to be a lark to drum up more business opportunities for the Trump empire. He never expected to win, so everyone half assing it is totally believable.

Meanwhile, Clinton had been planning her run for decades, so she has a well oiled machine. Which again makes her loss to the class clown even more embarrassing. Yes, others like Mondale and McGovern had bigger losses in terms of numbers, but Hillary Clinton should go down in history is the biggest loser of all because she lost to an Internet troll who never planned to win.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Honestly with the Trump campaign, I could buy it. The whole thing was designed to be a lark to drum up more business opportunities for the Trump empire. He never expected to win, so everyone half assing it is totally believable.

No, it really, really isn't. Especially in this particular instance.

with donalds tweet storm and now this denial by Kushner.

I'm getting the feeling the WSJ gave the trumps a heads up about a story thats about to drop, and they are in panic denial mode.

Toth

Don't forget the part where you turn up late and then promptly Email a subordinate to call you so you can immediately bail from it because of how uninteresting and untreasonous it is.

If that is true, that email should exist, no?

Sciz

I refuse to believe that Kushner is in the habit of accepting random meeting invites from the Trump brothers with no idea what they're about.

Maledict

Meanwhile, Clinton had been planning her run for decades, so she has a well oiled machine. Which again makes her loss to the class clown even more embarrassing. Yes, others like Mondale and McGovern had bigger losses in terms of numbers, but Hillary Clinton should go down in history is the biggest loser of all because she lost to an Internet troll who never planned to win.

This isn't to do with how their campaign was run. It's basic facts of life for two multi millionaires. Even if you put the whole campaign to one side, you simply don't have meetings like this pop up in your diary - and remember, it was post poned and everyone was able to make the new time!

That's just not how life works for directors of small organizations, nevermind multiple incredibly busy, incredibly wealthy people. That's not how things are organized at all.

He knew what the meeting was about, and the reason it went ahead even after being shifted was because they thought it was important. Also the shit obfuscation about adoptions is obscene and why the press is letting them get away with it is beyond me.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
img_5980choq7.jpg

I knew I've seen these tactics before.

digdug2k

"yes, I lied the first time you asked about this, and the next four times after that, but you caught me. This time this is the whole truth. I don't remember anything thing."

Maledict

Kushner throwing trump Jr under the bus, daddy won't be happy

Trump doesn't like his son. Trump Jnr didn't speak to his father for over a year after he divorced Ivana Trump. Trumps recent comments praising his son are the coldest, most lifeless things he's ever said to praise something. His descriptions of the health care bill were more heartfelt.

Apathy

Trump doesn't like his son. Trump Jnr didn't speak to his father for over a year after he divorced Ivana Trump. Trumps recent comments praising his son are the coldest, most lifeless things he's ever said to praise something. His descriptions of the health care bill were more heartfelt.

I know that but he probably dislikes kushner more because he isn't a trump

Top Bottom