• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good Guy EA: Lets give everyone The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection!

Nah, uninstalled Origin because of the logs that they kept and will not fall for that again. I thought that they stopped it when it was found out, couple of months ago, but a post here showed me that they didn't.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Zareka

God, is there any easier way to change the damn resolution to 1920x1200 than having to go in the game files themselves? How about maxing the graphics.

I want to know this too. I've tried editing the files and I still can't get it to display at 1080p properly. I think I got somewhere at one point, but it just made my screen flash from the desktop to a black screen. The game eventually displayed in a lower resolution on my TV if I had it set up as a second monitor.

Grizzo

Did you buy an Xbox One for Japanese games too?

it's the Sims yo, I just wanted to play in order to get my quick fix when I'm craving for some "shallow" gaming. There's nothing too fancy about this game.

But anyway, that's not a big deal.

Good, now I'll finally have all the stuff packs. And I can finally retire my discs. Now if only someone would fix the shadow bug that up-to-date drivers cause.

JLeack

Banned
How does The Sims 2 compare to The Sims 3? I just spent about 50 hours playing The Sims 3 and really liked it, but it definitely had its flaws.

norealmx

Banned
That's nice and all but... I promise NEVER touch an ea game ever again.

At least not until they release a decent iteration of a Futbol game in the only platform that lets you do team management and player follow-up in a decent, non intrusive way.

How does The Sims 2 compare to The Sims 3? I just spent about 50 hours playing The Sims 3 and really liked it, but it definitely had its flaws.

Biggest difference in games is that in Sims 2 all lots are independent of one another, only one can be active at the same time, and time passes independently of all other lots.

There are still plenty of lots per neighborhood, though. There's also no "story progression" where each sim does random things and ages independently on his/her own. However, the upside to this is that you're no longer limited to one family per neighborhood. You can have as many families in the one neighborhood at the same time, and you can jump between them freely, but again they all age independently and time only passes when you're actually playing them (with some exceptions).

Also, I should note that this Ultimate version of sims 2 has a shitton of little UI details that are hard to catch on your first time playing. Hover your mouse over every little thing since there's more bars and meters than a Japanese fighting game.

God, is there any easier way to change the damn resolution to 1920x1200 than having to go in the game files themselves? How about maxing the graphics.

You can only do it by changing the files if you're stuck at 800x600. It's an easy fix though, you literally just have to change two values, check the PC Gaming Wiki link on the page before this one to see how easy it is.

kyo2004

Nice... but this don't compensate all the recent failures (especially with BF4... what a waste of $$$ on a buggy game)...

Anyone else having this not run? Even checking the files, and running in compatibility mode, it just freezes after the opening movie, at the title screen. I know it's free, but this fucking sucks.

Anyone else having this not run? Even checking the files, and running in compatibility mode, it just freezes after the opening movie, at the title screen. I know it's free, but this fucking sucks.

It's an oldass game, but it still has tons of loading screens. Loading is longer the first time you boot the game. Are you letting it sit at the title screen for a good while? Give if 5 minutes to be sure (faster if you have an SSD).

It's an oldass game, but it still has tons of loading screens. Loading is longer the first time you boot the game. Are you letting it sit at the title screen for a good while? Give if 5 minutes to be sure (faster if you have an SSD).

It just crashes, not even loading. Just un installed it. Not really worth my time I guess.

Anybody know which one of the expansion packs to change the resolution values in? I'm stuck at 800x600 with no AA.

there's like 60 TSData folders to sort through.

RP912

Banned
Man I forgot how intimidating The Sims 2 is. Especially with all of these expansion packs. I don't know what I'm doing :/

Water

Incredible. It's not just that their games and servers regularly make the news for being unplayably buggy or congested, EA can't even manage to write a HTML form. You'd think it's hard to fuck up the good PR from giving a game away for free, but...

zGJ1BIrl.png

(Chrome on Mac. Reloading/relogging didn't fix anything. The form showed up properly when I later tried Internet Explorer on Windows. Note that this doesn't have anything to do with The Sims - the website is so broken you can't even attempt to enter a code. My language settings don't seem to stick either.)

You can only do it by changing the files if you're stuck at 800x600. It's an easy fix though, you literally just have to change two values, check the PC Gaming Wiki link on the page before this one to see how easy it is.

Thank you! Arn't all expansion packs installed at the same time with this collection, though? In that case, which one should I edit between the ~9 expansion files? Because between all of the expansion packs files, there's a lot more than 9 Config/graphic rules documents.

edit: nvm, thanks Kafiend!

Revan

Question for those who have dl'ed it - does it require signing into Origins to play? I want to get this for my gf but she is offline most of the time (shitty Internet at home).

Is the game playable without signing into origins on boot up?

I know nothing of origins or the sims itself for that matter lol.

Question for those who have dl'ed it - does it require signing into Origins to play? I want to get this for my gf but she is offline most of the time (shitty Internet at home).

I just checked, and Origin isn't needed to play it other than redeeming and installing it.

Berordn

Once it's installed it runs independent of Origin, as far as I can tell. You just need it to download and install.

Grumbled about Origin before, but I admit it has gotten better, and the free games are certainly endearing me toward it.

12.5 gig, though, wow. Didn't expect that for such an old game, but I guess all those expansions add up. Guess it's time for some cleaning.

Dire

Someone educate me on how Origin works. Do I need to keep origin installed and running after redeeming to play Sims 2? Or can I uninstall Origin and just run Sims 2 from its installation directory?

You generally have to keep it installed, which is what I suspect the point of this is. How many will uninstall it once installed, if it's even possible to do so and continue playing?

I'd be extremely hesitant about installing Origin, that software is borderline spyware and I don't really trust EA to not be abusive with the data it collects.

A bit more than a week ago a thread Origin is spying [on] users... again was created. An EA Origin rep claimed they took it seriously, were in contact with the developers and would get back to everybody ASAP. That was more than a week ago. For what it's worth my opinion is that case was likely not particularly relevant, but the rep's behavior was just unusual. I can't imagine why they wouldn't come back to clarify what was what.

Then you have their various EULA terms that completely screw the consumer. They've variably had terms allowing them to sell information they collect about you to marketers (which is the most pure definition of spyware) to allowing them to delete your account and all games you've purchased if your account is ever inactive for longer than 24 months, etc. They tend to change the EULA per region as they get called out on it by users or governments, so you might actually want to read that blob of text before you click install when it comes to Origin. It has a pretty nasty history.

elelunicy

Yeah the load times in this are ridiculous. I can't enjoy it. Does The Sims 3 have better loadtimes?

The Sims 3 has even longer loading times, albeit not nearly as many.

In both games, loadtimes are pretty much completely determined by your CPU's single thread performance.

Top Bottom