• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 crashes on PS4 Pro and 1080p?

ValfarHL

Maybe not thread worthy, but at the same time I feel it's important to get this out there.

There are several reports of Destiny 2 crashing when you play on a PS4 Pro and a 1080p TV.

I'm considering picking up the game after work today, but all the reports of problems has me concerned.

Com_Raven

I played for 40 minutes last night on 1080p and PS4 Pro, no issues at all.

Did those reports you saw mention any specific conditions when these crashes are supposed to happen?

Traditional Chinese version Destiny 2 has Significantly frame-rate drop. But others don't. I have no idea. What a great team

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I just finished putting almost 4 hours into a single session.
PS4 Pro on a 1080p Panasonic plasma TV.

Not a single issue, other than the queue to log-in for the first time.

Perhaps it has something to do with Boost Mode being on/off?

No, boost mode doesn't affect games that are Pro-enabled. The clock speed increase and additional GPU cores are always enabled.

There was a thread on Bungie's forums about this during the PS4 Pro beta, seemed like 90% of the people with the issue resolved it by getting their console repaired or exchanging it. Seemed Rise of the Tomb Raider was mentioned a bit in there as another stress-point game that might be causing issues on hardware affected by Destiny 2.

Personally I played for five hours today with a PS4 Pro on a 1080p TV and had no issues.

Stoffinator

Mine crashes when you get to the first social connection. Couldn't get past it in the beta nor can I in the final game. But it doesn't seem to effect all Pro users. I had to switch too my standard PS4 to play the game. Was hoping Bungie had it fixed.

Huh. Wonder what it could be in these three specific games that causes the issue to come up.

Diablo 3 runs with dynamic 2160 checkerboard, Rise of the Tomb Raider's 4K mode is 2160c, Destiny 2 runs with dynamic 2160 checkerboard. I think they're just especially stressful titles that might be triggering a rare hardware flaw. Each APU is different, same reason some people complain their consoles sound like jet engines and others say it's quiet even with Pro-enabled titles. I bet the ones that run on the upper-end of the heat spectrum are running into this crash.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Diablo 3 runs with dynamic 2160 checkerboard, Rise of the Tomb Raider's 4K mode is 2160c, Destiny 2 runs with dynamic 2160 checkerboard. I think they're just especially stressful titles that might be triggering a rare hardware flaw.
I think Diablo 3 is actually native.

Seems odd that Horizon or Infinite Warfare wouldn't be mentioned for particularly taxing games.

I think Diablo 3 is actually native.

Seems odd that Horizon or Infinite Warfare wouldn't be mentioned for particularly taxing games.

I'm just spitballing here. :p You'd need to test quite a few different consoles to see if it's really a heat issue and not some rare software-side bug. And yeah, for Diablo 3 it might not be using checkerboard, I just remember the DF video saying it was dynamic.
Whelp.

If this is a hardware issue, can I test it in the TR demo? I think I still have warranty.
One of the affected users on the Bungie post said the first few minutes of the TR demo crashed their console each time.

Vashetti

Banned
I'm just spitballing here. :p You'd need to test quite a few different consoles to see if it's really a heat issue and not some rare software-side bug. And yeah, for Diablo 3 it might not be using checkerboard, I just remember the DF video saying it was dynamic.One of the affected users on the Bungie post said the first few minutes of the TR demo crashed their console each time.

Diablo 3 is dynamic native 4K.

So it runs at proper 2160p and drops the res to maintain 60fps. But no checkerboarding.

And to throw it out there, I played all of Rise of the Tomb Raider start to finish on my Pro swapping between the 4K and unlocked frame rate modes and never had a crash.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Platinumed Diablo 3 and never had it crash on me either. Even went back when the Necro it and collected all of those trophies.
That said, 30% of my overall play time was probably on the regular PS4, not the Pro.

ISee

If people getting crashes while playing destiny 2 also get crashes in other games they most probably have a faulty Pro unit. My guess: overheating, but who knows.

gossi

was 15cm away on the left and back from the wall.
placed the console half meter away from both sites.

dunno :/

Good stuff. If you have a way of monitoring power usage and heat that may be a plan. Does the fan get noisy?

Rellik

Urgh this better not be a look into the future of the Pro hardware.

I've played and completed Tomb Raider with no issues and have D3 installed but untouched. Think I'll have to go and try it now.

Kai Ozu

Was playing at 4K and the game freezes.

Went back to my PS4 slim and seems to be ok...

I really have no words. How is Sony letting this go down for the premium console.

Top Bottom