• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxk_02

Black Republican
Has there been any news at to who the national team face on their next friendlies, and also what venues?
ESPN reported during today's match that the US is looking at 3 friendlies right before Brazil. Nothing confirmed, but they mentioned:

USMNT set up final World Cup camp in northern California
May 27th - Stanford Stadium, CA - possible opponents: Sweden, Serbia, Turkey
early June - Red Bull Arena, NJ - possible opponents: Sweden, Serbia, Turkey
June 7th - Jacksonville, FL - opponent: Nigeria
off to Brazil

And of course the confirmed March friendly at Ukraine. There's also rumored to be a friendly against Mexico, early April, in Phoenix.

v1lla21

ESPN reported during today's match that the US is looking at 3 friendlies right before Brazil. Nothing confirmed, but they mentioned:

And of course the confirmed March friendly at Ukraine. There's also rumored to be a friendly against Mexico, early April, in Phoenix.

Oh wow, that's great since it is close to me. All 3 teams seem to be good opponents. I also heard about the possible match against Mexico, but that was during the Mexico vs. Korea match.

NoRéN

Oh wow, that's great since it is close to me. All 3 teams seem to be good opponents. I also heard about the possible match against Mexico, but that was during the Mexico vs. Korea match.

How is that stadium? Do you know?

I'm debating going to the game next month. I would have a reason to go see family and it's only about a 3 hour drive from their hometown to Kharkiv. However, not really the best time to go to Ukraine so there's that.

NoRéN;99332567 said:
Stanford Stadium is great for soccer after they renovated it. Nice, tight sight lines and a good steep slope to the seating. I've been there for a couple Earthquakes games and there really aren't any bad seats in the place.

NoRéN

Stanford Stadium is great for soccer after they renovated it. Nice, tight sight lines and a good steep slope to the seating. I've been there for a couple Earthquakes games and there really aren't any bad seats in the place.

Nice. More reason to make the drive up there.

v1lla21

NoRéN;99332567 said:

I'm debating going to the game next month. I would have a reason to go see family and it's only about a 3 hour drive from their hometown to Kharkiv. However, not really the best time to go to Ukraine so there's that.
It's actually pretty good after the renovation. I've been there for the SJ Vs. Galaxy matches. As ^^ stated, anywhere you sit is pretty much fine and you get a good view of the field. Last year I sat behind one of the goalkeepers and it was fine IMO.

Clydefrog

Seems like he and Zusi are battling it out for that right wing spot, but it depends how Klinsmann wants to line up. Donovan could also play there if someone else, like Johannsson, is going to sit underneath Jozy.

I feel like Bedoya and Donovan work well together. I'd like to somehow see both of them on the field.

Nesotenso

Difference between Bedoya and Zusi is that Bedoya is somewhat faster. Neither are prolific goal scorers (Bedoya is having a great season though and his finishing could use work). Zusi has the advantage that he is a good crosser from either flank, something Bedoya has yet to show. I see Bedoya starting over Graham. But then Donovan should be in the left flank. If they switch sides then however is playing LB has to overlap to send in those crosses.

Atlagev

Finally! At this game, no question! It's been forever since the US have played a game in the Bay Area (China at Spartan Stadium in 2007 if I recall), so it could against the Faroe Islands and I'd still be there!

NoRéN

Seems like he and Zusi are battling it out for that right wing spot, but it depends how Klinsmann wants to line up. Donovan could also play there if someone else, like Johannsson, is going to sit underneath Jozy.

Fuck that. Johansson with Donovan up top for Brazil. Altidore and Dempsey as subs.

xbhaskarx

early June - Red Bull Arena, NJ - possible opponents: Sweden, Serbia, Turkey
June 7th - Jacksonville, FL - opponent: Nigeria
off to Brazil

Other possible friendly opponents aside from Nigeria could come out of this I'm guessing....

World Cup: Major League Soccer to organize Road to Brazil series of international tune-up matches

ROAD TO BRAZIL PARTICIPANTS (as of Feb. 3, 2014)
Bolivia
Bosnia-Herzegovina**
El Salvador
Greece**
Honduras**
Ivory Coast**
Nigeria**
Spain**

** = Teams participating in the 2014 World Cup

xbhaskarx

I think Klinsmann's current lineup would look something like this:

-------Altidore-------
--LD----CD----GZ--
--Bradley--Jones--
-FJ--MB--OG--GC-
-------Howard--------

What I'd like to see:

-------Altidore-------
--CD----AJ----LD--
--Bradley--Jones--
-FJ--MB--GC--TC-
-------Howard--------

Jones & Bradley are more or less locked in - he said as much in a press conference recently. Howard is set. Besler and Gonzalez will most likely be the pairing central. I'd be shocked if Jozy doesn't start up top. The ones that are in flux are the attacking mids (left, right, and central) along with the two outside backs. xbhaskarx's Klinsmann lineup is what I'd guess, though I am curious if Johannsson will be considered for Dempsey's spot at any point. The upcoming friendlies are going to be important for a few guys trying to crack the lineup.

gutshot

I think Klinsmann's current lineup would look something like this:

-------Altidore-------
--LD----CD----GZ--
--Bradley--Jones--
-FJ--MB--OG--GC-
-------Howard--------

What I'd like to see:

-------Altidore-------
--CD----AJ----LD--
--Bradley--Jones--
-FJ--MB--GC--TC-
-------Howard--------

Swap out Jones for Cameron as d-mid and put Gonzalez in as central defender and that is my ideal lineup.

gutshot

Aron Johannsson has left AZ's game versus Vitesse due to an injury, according to Fox Sports NL. Hopefully it is nothing serious...

NoRéN

Swap out Jones for Cameron as d-mid and put Gonzalez in as central defender and that is my ideal lineup.

Gonzalez needs to be in there. Dude's earned it. Passing game needs to be improved but who doesn't need to improve on something in this squad.

However, still can't believe he's a designated player.

Nesotenso

I worry about the passing out of the back with both Besler and Omar honestly. They both need to work on it with their clubs. Aron I think, even with this stellar form so far, will be a off the bench option for Jurgen.

daoster

Sciaretta confirmed it's a mild thigh sprain. Shouldn't keep him out very long, fortunately.

*US fans breath a sigh of relief*

I worry about the passing out of the back with both Besler and Omar honestly. They both need to work on it with their clubs. Aron I think, even with this stellar form so far, will be a off the bench option for Jurgen.

What were they doing for the whole month together?? I expected them to mesh a lot better.

NoRéN

Omar's passing has always been his weak point here with the Galaxy. Hopefully that can become his focus of improvement come March.

Klinnsmann has his mind set despite poor form. I'm sure Jozy, Dempsey, and jones will all be on the starting lineup despite their dip in form.

- US Soccer: Jurgen Klinsmann Q & A: “The door remains open until the very last day.”
ussoccer.com : Two players who were most recently on the U-20 World Cup roster earned their first caps with the Senior Team. How did Luis Gil and DeAndre Yedlin do in their first time in and what messages do you want them to take away?

JK : “The youngsters DeAndre Yedlin and Luis Gil did well in their first introduction to the senior National Team. That’s why we gave them their first cap, their first couple of minutes on the field with the so-called older guys. They have a lot of talent, there’s no doubt about it. That’s why they played in the Under-20 World Cup with Tab Ramos. I’ve spoken to both of them about keeping their feet on the ground, that they stay modest but be proud of that moment because it’s a special moment when you play your first cap. This is just the beginning of a very good career, and we need them to push the envelope with their MLS teams, we need them to understand there’s more responsibility on their shoulders as a senior National Team player. We need them to understand that they need to work far more than anybody else on their club teams because they are National Team players. We want to see that process now taking place and we will communicate with their club coaches. It’s up to them now how well and how fast they develop over the next couple of years.”
ussoccer.com : You have stated that the door is still open for players to make their case for the World Cup roster. There are several players in Europe who are experiencing new opportunities with their clubs and others coming back from injury. What do you need to see from them?

JK : “We just want them to be on the field and build their case. We communicate with them, players like Oguchi Onyewu, Tim Ream, and Danny Williams. You have Brek Shea, who went down into the Championship from Stoke to play games and is now playing 90 minutes almost every week. You have Timmy Chandler at Nurnberg, who for six months has been doing a very consistent, good job. Jermaine Jones goes to Besiktas and will pick up the rhythm of playing games again. We follow the players that have injury problems like Steve Cherundolo, who is still having issues, and John Anthony Brooks with Hertha Berlin who is hopefully back next week. Same with Fabian Johnson who broke his arm and is hopefully back next week as well. Being in February and a few months prior to the World Cup, you want to see them all play. You have to give them a clear message that only if you pick up a rhythm and play week-in, week-out, will you complete one of the big keys in order to make the World Cup roster. That’s why we are really happy some of them now are starting to get their rhythm. This all plays a vital role in evaluating them, and then we have to make the vital calls in May.”
More via the link.

xbhaskarx

What's funny is almost no one even mentions Agudelo as a possibility for the World Cup roster, when he was scoring goals for the national team at 18 and had a ridiculous goals / minute rate last season in MLS... I'm not sure why Klinsmann stopped calling him in after that Russia friendly, especially since he had an assist.
Personally, with Altidore, AJ, and EJ looking like locks, I'd take Agudelo over Wondo, Gomez, Magee, Boyd, etc. as the final forward. Hell I'd take him over EJ.

Clydefrog

Los Angeles Galaxy

ibhevqII7zH4yO.gif

xbhaskarx

Another one of those "Soccer is gonna be huge" articles...

Is Soccer Destined to Become America's National Pastime?

The two demographic groups most passionate about soccer are young adults -- those ages 18 to 29 -- and Hispanics. Demographers expect the Hispanic population to triple by 2050 making up roughly one-third of the population . And Hispanic sport preferences differ starkly from those of other Americans. Twenty-six percent of Hispanics say that soccer is their favorite sport to watch, followed by football (22 percent), basketball (14 percent) and baseball (13 percent). In contrast, only 3 percent of white non-Hispanics Americans say soccer is their favorite sport. Hispanics also report greater interest in the World Cup with 56 percent saying they are likely to watch the tournament, compared to 20 percent of white non-Hispanic Americans.

Football remains the most popular sport among young adults, but soccer is the runner-up. Thirty-two-percent of young adults say football is their favorite sport, compared to 13 percent who say soccer, 10 percent who say basketball and just 7 percent who say baseball. Further, soccer fans tend to be much younger than other fans. The average age of Americans who say soccer is their favorite sport is just 37, while the average age for football fans is 46 and for baseball 53. If baseball is America's past, and football is its present, then soccer may be its future.

Third, the cultural impact of soccer is also likely to grow as more young people participate in the sport. In 1974, the U.S. Youth Soccer Association registered only about 100,000 players. Today that number is over 3 million. A recent ESPN sports poll found that 30 percent of American households have at least one member who plays soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom