• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG dev Bluehole concerned over Fortnite's Battle Royale [Up: Background Both Sides]

Alienous

It's the industry.

Feel free to return those DayZ mechanics. Hell, feel free to return those first and third person shooter mechanics.

Rymuth

I don't think that's an unreasonable statement from Bluehole, honestly. I thought it was a little weird how directly epic was referencing PUBG by name, too.
It's not unusual. The Division references Destiny in their promotion.

And many MMOs tried to kill WoW by referencing it, recall the 'We're not in Azeroth anymore' tagline.

3RXEb_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

That would genuinely turn me off of PUBG. Have no interest in someone trying to chain a game mode to their creation, especially following the success they've seen. Should have the confidence in that and their roadmap to be unconcerned by people following suit, as has happened with most popular game modes in the history of video games.

JABEE

You guys realize the reason they're concerned is because Epic owns the Unreal Engine and is a partner with Bluehole right? It's not just some random team copying.

Yes. And they referenced their game in the marketing release for the new game mode without asking. And PUBG is still in early access while Epic has another team working on a direct copy of their small developer partner before they make their official release on console.

They got beat hard by Epic if were talking about console versions, its hard to beat free and Epic is being pretty fast at improving the game.

mrlion

To be fair, Fortnite had no business in becoming a battle royale game...it had a good concept what it originally was. I find it odd that people are ok with this matter of fact lol

But yeah, bringing in a team of lawyers seems to be an overreaction, it was going to happen eventually if not from Fortnite.

jdmonmou

Bluehole licenses Unreal Engine 4 from Epic Games...creates megahit PUBG
Epic Games rips off PUBG by implementing battle royal mode in Fortnite using Unreal Engine 4
Epic Games mentions PUBG in advertisement for Fortnite without discussing first with Bluehole

IMO, Bluehole is right to be concerned.

It's not unusual. The Division references Destiny in their promotion.

And many MMOs tried to kill WoW by referencing it, recall the 'We're not in Azeroth anymore' tagline.

Sure, not saying it shouldn't be allowed or something. A little tacky though, especially when they're partners.

Yes. And they referenced their game in the marketing release for the new game mode without asking.

I wasn't aware there was any legal issue with referencing another game in your promotion, at least any longer. So long as you're not disparaging them to the extent of libel. Didn't Audi and BMW have a jocular back and forth awhile back?

Is there legal recourse for praising another game or company in a promotion?

Gbraga

I mean, Battle Royale isn't just a random name someone decided to give this kind of setting, it's the name of an intellectual property. I'm not sure if you can get mad at someone for copying an idea that isn't yours, even if you were the first one to adapt it to videogames.

It's like advertising your game as a brand new Avengers and then getting mad when someone else makes a super hero squad based action game.

GodofWine

I think Fortnite offers enough of a variation that they should probably be concerned about who ELSE is going to be making a more 'realistic / military-ish BR game'

Fortnite has crafting, 'mining', destruction, is far more arcade in gunplay, and has a way more cartoonish look. Now is not the time to whine Bluehole. Now is the time to use the pile of money you have to invest into the game and finish it FAST, because I don't think an AAA dev will take that long to make a BR game.

I think PUBG is safe on PC, PC gamers value gameplay over polish and bling (CSGO is a great example), and they have such a critical mass of players there. But if a BF BR, or a Destiny BR, or a RDR BR game drops on console, they have no chance of staying on top.

(I play PUBG - but will try Fortnite next week for sure)

You guys realize the reason they're concerned is because Epic owns the Unreal Engine and is a partner with Bluehole right? It's not just some random team copying.

So Epic is never allowed to make a BR game because they sold their engine to another company that made one?

Boke1879

Epic Games rips off PUBG by implementing battle royal mode in Fortnite using Unreal Engine 4
Epic Games mentions PUBG in advertisement for Fortnite without discussing first with Bluehole

How so? Bluehole is selling PUBG and making a shit ton of money. They'll be on console this year. Their are going to be way more clones coming in the future.

Plum

I'm not sure what that's meant to imply. That Epic might revoke Bluehole's license or what?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Erm..... What? You do realize how many devs have used some form of the Unreal Engine to develop their games in the last two decades? There never have been issues about Epic stealing the secret sauce of whatever game outside devs are working on.

That's a weird point to even bring up. It's not like PUBG is reinventing the wheel either... What they are offering now is based on the evolution of the shooter genre and devs have been copying/improving formulas and modes since OG Doom and Wolfenstein.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I can understand why Bluehole are pissed, but I highly doubt there's anything legally actionable they can do about it.

li bur

Isn't it similar to MOBA? I mean DOTA, HON and LOL all look similar and there are no lawsuits there. I don't know if they have any ground here.

To be fair, Fortnite had no business in becoming a battle royale game...it had a good concept what it originally was. I find it odd that people are ok with this matter of fact lol

Why as a gamer would I be bothered by another game having a popular game mode added to it for free, for everyone? Popular game modes being added to other games is nothing new, and from what I've seen Fortnite's BR mode is pretty fun. It's not like "Battle Royale" came from nowhere either.

Especially if I'm on PS4 and PUBG seems to hold no interest in telling me when I can play their game, yet Fortnite have allowed me to do so immediately and for free.

But yeah, bringing in a team of lawyers seems to be an overreaction, it was going to happen eventually if not from Fortnite.
Says who?

mrlion

PC gamers value gameplay over polish and bling (CSGO is a great example)

No we don't? lol. Reason why people play CSGO on those settings is because they copy pro csgo players when they are using settings from 1999 to get the most framerate and they win with it. We don't spend thousands of dollars to not get polish and bling lol

JABEE

The ๖ۜBronx;249655584 said:
I wasn't aware there was any legal issue with referencing another game in your promotion, at least any longer. So long as you're not disparaging them to the extent of libel. Didn't Audi and BMW have a jocular back and forth awhile back?

Is there legal recourse for praising another game or company in a promotion?

I don't know what legal recourse there is.

The clones are gonna be an issue for PUBG for sure. Especially when a big dev with some clout steps in and overtakes them in terms of quality. Not that they haven't already made a killing on the game but still, making it a billion IP with longevity will be a challenge.

Alienous

They're concerned because someone is trying to eat their lunch.

Unless the Unreal team / Epic can be proven to have used information gained by licensing the engine to create an experience like PUBG (a ludicrous claim) the fact that both games use UE4 is irrelevant.

SteppingOlive

Neo Member
Thank goodness you can't copyright game mechanics. Could you imagine the stifling lack of innovation that would result?

They're copying PUBG cuz it's hugely successful. The market has signaled that it wants more of this

hawk2025

The "partner" spin becomes relevant as soon as Epic is known to have stolen code or in any way influenced the UE4 licensing to damage PUBG.

Until then, it's complete nonsense.

The issue with mentioning PUBG in marketing is on its face absurd.

Isn't it similar to MOBA? I mean DOTA, HON and LOL all look similar and there are no lawsuits there. I don't know if they have any ground here.

Sure...
If LOL owned the engine and licences it out to DOTA and then put in a battle royale mode into their own game.

So...no. It's nothing like that.

I don't think that's an unreasonable statement from Bluehole, honestly. I thought it was a little weird how directly epic was referencing PUBG by name, too.
Welcome to the industry where everything is like Dark Souls or GTA or Overwatch and so on.

PUBG isnt special in that regard and wont be the last.

mazillion

Bluehole is entering the pretty critical period right now. Pretty soon the clones are going to start coming out in full force and it's really going to test the staying power of their user base. They got a lot of hard work ahead of them if they want to compete/stay at the top.

Venfayth

Bluehole's response regarding ~idea copying~ is strange and myopic, but they are well within their rights to call out a developer from using their IP name and branding in their own marketing material. Even ripoff iOS games aren't allowed to do that (although they commonly do, which should give you a comparison of why this is so scummy)

Instro

It does come off a little more odd when a middleware company you are contracted with suddenly begins developing a game/mode that mirrors your own.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I mean, Battle Royale isn't just a random name someone decided to give this kind of setting, it's the name of an intellectual property. I'm not sure if you can get mad at someone for copying an idea that isn't yours, even if you were the first one to adapt it to videogames.

It's like advertising your game as a brand new Avengers and then getting mad when someone else makes a super hero squad based action game.

The only innovation is the decreasing sized zone to focus the combat. Last man standing existed forever, ARMA and probably Operation Flashpoint already had last man standing modes on big maps.

Epic has a track record of this, too. Gears basically took RE4's combat/style and just improved the cover system. That's it.

Cliff acknowledged that Gears drew inspiration from Resident Evil (and what horror game hasn't) and the first Gears definitely had more horror elements but I don't think they play the same at all.

Trup1aya

It looks fun as hell. Who isn't ok with fun? The cartoon violence should offer a vastly different experience from what PUBG brings anyway .

Hari Seldon

I'd worry when someone crafts a game from scratch to compete with it. Just adding a mode into an existing game isn't going to dethrone PUBG.

JABEE

I can understand why Bluehole are pissed, but I highly doubt there's anything legally actionable they can do about it.

This is what I think.

It's a shitty thing to do, but so be it. Unreal wants to cash in while the iron is hot.

FyreWulff

It sounds to me like bluehole is concerned because they have an active exchange with epic going on, using their engine.

Fortnite is also pretty shameless about being a copy. Copying game mechanics is nothing knew, but here it feels like they took just every element straight from pubg. Like they could have done something different with the intro instead of just replacing the plane with a flying bus.

They're both ripping off Section 8 and Section 8 Prejudice's sky spawn,though.

If Bluehole wants to push this, the internet will have a ream of preexisting works ready to forward to a judge.

Cliff acknowledged that Gears drew inspiration from Resident Evil (and what horror game hasn't) and the first Gears definitely had more horror elements but I don't think they play the same at all.

He outright said at some point that Gears started with RE4's control scheme and went from there.

Without RE4 we don't have Gears.

If Red Dead Redemption 2 Online has a Battle Royale mode than PUBG has no chance on consoles.

Anyway, could Epic revoke the license of UE4 to Bluehole or refuse to renew it?

NotLiquid

He better get used to it, PUBG basically invented or at least popularized the Battle Royale death match mode. Unfortunately that's all that PUBG really is - it's just a game mode. A really damn good one, but once games with way more hooks start incorporating those kinds of modes, it might just go out of style a little bit. I know I've spent enough time with the game already that many of it's shortcomings are starting to become way too evident and frustrating.

I wish Metal Gear Online or Metal Gear Survive would rip off PUBG tbh.

Top Bottom