• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG dev Bluehole concerned over Fortnite's Battle Royale [Up: Background Both Sides]

Strakt

Cant copy a genre ;D

I think all BR games have their own unique aspect that separates them from each other. Theres no one game that plays and looks exactly the same.

ookami

So Epic can't make ANY games, because their engine is used in EVERY genre.
Seriously? I do not know how you got to this conclusion. You might want read the complementary explanation that have been given.
They're not just using UE4, they're being helped by Epic as would NVIDIA dig into your game when asking their help to implement special features. They're working together. Which means they may have access to sensitive game mechanic implementations or assets. Which is ... Awkward.

I just hope that Bluhole's statements are baseless assumptions. They are not going the same way in graphics, immersion, and complementary mechanics.

gypsygib

I don't see how it would be easy to implement for most big FPS games right now unless they aggressively scale it down.

Battlefield could do it no problem and it would be pretty amazing given that they have destruction and pretty graphics/ player movement already.

Wereroku

Seriously? I do not know how you got to this conclusion. You might want read the complementary explanation that have been given.
They're not just using UE4, they're being helped by Epic as would NVIDIA dig into your game when asking their help to implement special features. They're working together. Which means they may have access to sensitive game mechanic implementations or assets. Which is ... Awkward.

I just hope that Bluhole's statements are baseless assumptions. They are not going the same way in graphics, immersion, and complementary mechanics.

If they asked Epic to add additional features into the engine it would almost certainly be with the understanding that those changes would be rolled into the engine itself. I am sure if Bluehole had done the work themselves they could keep it proprietary. Also last time I looked the Engine folks are separate from the dev folks so the only cross pollenation here would probably be the engine improvements and the devs being fans of PUBG.

ookami

If they asked Epic to add additional features into the engine it would almost certainly be with the understanding that those changes would be rolled into the engine itself.
I think that it is precisely the most important point indeed. Is there anything as a contract which allow them to get any new changes into the engine.

It seems that Fortnite launch didn't really affect PUBG playerbase at all.
d4c4u5i.png
It reached 145k minimum CC at one point which was probably Fortnite launch (week's average is 250-300k), but then the maximum peak recovered at 1,437 million (compared to 1,441 and 1,440 million in the previous days). Maybe people tried it for some matches and go back to PUBG.

Snoopycat

Banned
It seems that Fortnite launch didn't really affect PUBG playerbase at all.

It reached 145k minimum CC at one point which was probably Fortnite launch (week's average is 250-300k), but then the maximum peak recovered at 1,437 million (compared to 1,441 and 1,440 million in the previous days). Maybe people tried it for some matches and go back to PUBG.

I imagine Fortnite's biggest player base will be on consoles for now. I'm really interested to see what happens when Pubg launches on Xbox/PS4.

Belker

There is absolutely zero reason to believe that. MICROSOFT even sent engineers to bluehole to help porting the xbox one version.. it will look and run fine, stop spreading this FUD.

PUBG performs badly on Xbox One - and X Early access code falls short of expectations.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-pubg-xbox-one-and-xbox-one-x-performance

Seems like my concerns about the conversion were justified, despite MS and others being involved. Buy exclusivity and sort out technical issues later, it seems.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
With how it currently performs on console I can see why they were concerned over Fortnite.

I was really hoping PUBG would have been better but after about 10 games today on my X until they get it running better its back to Fortnite for me to get my BR fix.

splattered

Fornite performed worst than that when it was first available to the users.

Did it really? That's not a troll question, I've never actually played it so just curious...

I have been excited for PUBG and have avoided Fortnite because I figured PUBG would be better... now i'm wondering if I should give Fortnite a spin afterall while PUBG is getting patched haha ahhh

Shifty

Your line of thought does not allow for OUTRAGE though. It was so obvious PUBG was coming in as hot as possible. I’d expect a patch by next week which drastically improves things.

I dunno, that sounds an awful lot like magic to me. Given that the game still performs badly on high-end PCs, I don't think sorting out the XO build is going to be so simple.

autoduelist

Guess what? Somebody did deathmatch first. Capture the flag first. Etc. Hoard mode. It's how it goes.

I don't support blatant 'copy and paste' games like you find on mobile [ie, threes copied exactly[, but copying a genre? No issue.

Did it really? That's not a troll question, I've never actually played it so just curious...

I have been excited for PUBG and have avoided Fortnite because I figured PUBG would be better... now i'm wondering if I should give Fortnite a spin afterall while PUBG is getting patched haha ahhh

Yes, Fortnite was terrible at first. It became better optimized as time went by.

Top Bottom