• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG dev Bluehole concerned over Fortnite's Battle Royale [Up: Background Both Sides]

Don’t think we’ll see pubg on PS4 till next winter, so they can be a little concerned.

You can never tell what games will be a hit with the ps audience, rocket league was a crazy success. I did say in another thread it will be difficult to ween people off their traditional FPS, but an f2p in the new must try “Battle Royale” genre may get an audience that will entrench itself way before Blue hole get a sniff.

Ploid 3.0

I keep on trying the Fortnite BR, I just really can't get into it compared to PUBG

Just because others like a game doesn't mean you have to. Just because you like a game in a genre doesn't mean you will like every game in a genre. Believe me, I love the heck out of Final Fantasy XI, I've been searching for a replacement for the classes I loved in that game for years and years, nothing has scratched that itch. It's a curse.

Don't try to force yourself to like a non PUBG game if it just isn't happening. The games aren't the same.

--------------------------------

I'm looking forward to the patch this week. I wonder what new weapons and stuff they add. If their patch process are anything like Paragon team, this is going to be good (BTW if you haven't take a look at a Paragon video that's new. The game is too pretty right now. I feel guilty playing that game. It's like that movie, "She's Out of My League," it just doesn't seem right.

Epic's video featuring the new graphic update: https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=IUvA6qnsR48

wwm0nkey

Just because others like a game doesn't mean you have to. Just because you like a game in a genre doesn't mean you will like every game in a genre. Believe me, I love the heck out of Final Fantasy XI, I've been searching for a replacement for the classes I loved in that game for years and years, nothing has scratched that itch. It's a curse.

Don't try to force yourself to like a non PUBG game if it just isn't happening. The games aren't the same.

--------------------------------

I'm looking forward to the patch this week. I wonder what new weapons and stuff they add. If their patch process are anything like Paragon team, this is going to be good (BTW if you haven't take a look at a Paragon video that's new. The game is too pretty right now. I feel guilty playing that game. It's like that movie, "She's Out of My League," it just doesn't seem right.
Well that's the thing, I do want a more arcady PUBG, just something feels a bit off about this one? Biggest issue is the parachute imo, wayyyyyyyy too much control

JDB

Banned
Well that's the thing, I do want a more arcady PUBG, just something feels a bit off about this one? Biggest issue is the parachute imo, wayyyyyyyy too much control
Tried H1Z1?
Personally think the gameplay is terrible, but it's definitely more arcady.

Watched a bit of game play for fortnite and i can see why bluehole are a bit pissed, it looks really similar. Look forward to downloading it Tuesday to try myself

Stop bitching and embrace the competition, it's healthy for the industry and the genre.

Exactly. It's amazing how people have been brainwashed into support capitalism but only when it's convenient to corporations (i.e. fuck free market and competition). The anticonsummerism and corporation-overprotective mindset people are increasingly and happily adopting is utterly disgusting at this point. The moment corporations convinced consumers that what's good for the former is automatically good for the latter is the moment we lost.

If Fortnite is better, it will be more successful. If not, PUBG will keep its healthy and numerous playerbase. Best of all, if both are evenly matched, they will be forced to improve to avoid falling out of the curve. Why would any of these cases be a bad thing?

Darg

Neo Member

The parachute having more control is a good thing, some guns need some tweaking and the sniper rifle has some insane bullet drop (which may or may not be a good thing) though the bolt sniper does a ton of damage so it wouldn't be wise for them to remove it or reduce it a whole lot. The shields probably need some adjusting due to how good they are.

Watching some streams of it and there is definately skill there at the endgame. This dude was pulling off some insane wins...consistently, but that could just be since there isn't much skilled players in there yet due to the mode being brand spanking new.

It definately feels more H1Z1ish, atleast when it comes to speed.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Ah yes, who can forget the classic Denis Dyack-argument.

I mean, at the time Silicon Knight licensed Unreal from Epic, the licensor and the licensee were both competing to make the premiere Xbox 360 bald space marine saga with significant online multiplayer components. People kind of forget that they, and Bioware as well, were all in competition to be Microsoft's new bald space marine provider of choice.

Is Unreal 4 not a complete engine until Epic ships the 1.0 version of Fortnite on it? ;)

Ploid 3.0

You know, if they add a paladin like skin to the game I would probably buy that. It won't give you armor or anything, it'll just be cosmetic but boy would it look funny. A paladin with a gun, maybe a actual shield on it's back if you have the shield buff active.

DunpealD

Sounds like to me they are worried that Epic uses the stuff they cooked up helping PUBG are being implemented as a feature in UE4, making it easier to create those games/modes. With Fortnite serving as a proof of concept.
Whatever work Epic did for them, I would assume that belongs to Epic and they can do whatever they want with it. Though to be honest I have no idea about PUBG and what Epic could lift from them.

Bluehole should think about improving their product and how to keep themselves on top, instead of venting publicly about their fears.

Personally speaking though. I don't have a good impression of Bluehole, considering they lied about lootboxes.

Personally glad other devs are taking a shot at the Battle Royale mode, there really is a lot of potential in it.

Just think of BR modes for Battlefield, RDR2 etc

Dark Souls Battle Royale, literally the Dark Souls of Battle Royale.

saktrop

Neo Member
Don’t think we’ll see pubg on PS4 till next winter, so they can be a little concerned.

You can never tell what games will be a hit with the ps audience, rocket league was a crazy success. I did say in another thread it will be difficult to ween people off their traditional FPS, but an f2p in the new must try “Battle Royale” genre may get an audience that will entrench itself way before Blue hole get a sniff.
Maan.. hopefully it comes out sooner i'd love to see if the game lives up to the hype it's received and generally in a mood for some battle royale madness.

liezryou

Lol this is ridiculous, "Yeah im gunna sue you for making a game mode similar to ours when we copied it from h1z1 who copied it from the culling who copied it from an arma mod." Fuck off, your greed is starting to show. For a game that has allegedly sold 10 million copies and yet still somehow manages to look like an asset flip, that is pretty fucking bold.

Let me clarify that I think PUBG is an amazing game. In fact I've played it nearly 40 hours since i bought it two weeks ago, but to claim that the idea of this battle royal is unique and their own? Are we the mobile industry now? How about you start putting all that money you made to speed up the snail's pace of development you guys are currently doing.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've gone away from the discussion a bit and thought stuff over and I think Jeff Gerstmann said a lot of things I agree with on yesterday's Bombcast. There's no basis for legal action here but this just feels really shitty and trashy on Epic's part, partially towards Bluehole but also heavily towards actual Fortnite players. What development resources is this taking up? What does this spell for the future of the "main mode" of Fortnite players bought into and are excited about? This is incredibly opportunistic.

Maan.. hopefully it comes out sooner i'd love to see if the game lives up to the hype it's received and generally in a mood for some battle royale madness.

Yeah, MS seems to like 12 month windows when they buy up timed exclusivity (RotTR, Dead Rising 4), but that seems like it would be an incredibly bad decision on Bluehole's part if they made the largest single console audience wait that long for their game.

TVexperto

I've gone away from the discussion a bit and thought stuff over and I think Jeff Gerstmann said a lot of things I agree with on yesterday's Bombcast. There's no basis for legal action here but this just feels really shitty and trashy on Epic's part, partially towards Bluehole but also heavily towards actual Fortnite players. What development resources is this taking up? What does this spell for the future of the "main mode" of Fortnite players bought into and are excited about? This is incredibly opportunistic.

The unreal team developed Battle Royale, not the main team from fortnite

Hyun Sai

Well, it's at least a good move for the PS4 players, and I guess this will cause Bluehole to not be complacent due to the competition ? I was already hearing some bad stuff regarding the cosmetic boxes out of early access...

Remember when all FPS games were Doom Clones?

Remember When all fighting games were Street Fighter Clones?

Remember when all sandbox games were GTA clones?

Genres are created by the Clones. We'll see more PUBG clones yet

Thorrgal

It's a PR fuckup by Bluehole...not sure what were they thinking.

And wait until Ghost Recon: Wildlands does it...I have no interest in Fortnite but would definitelly play that

Woo-Fu

Banned
Seems like a lot of people are missing the point. This isn't about another battle royale clone to compete with. This about your engine partner deciding to compete with you out of the blue.

That said, Epic had an epic bomb on their hands and this might be able to salvage something from it. While it feels dirty can't really blame them, particularly if this doesn't stretch any contractual terms.

If you're a developer and partner with Epic you'll want to make sure you protect yourself from them taking all your ideas and then using their inhouse knowledge of the engine to build a direct competitor that runs a lot better than your game does or probably ever will.

That said, Epic had an epic bomb on their hands and this might be able to salvage something from it. While it feels dirty can't really blame them, particularly if this doesn't stretch any contractual terms.

What is this based on? Just last month, before this BR mode was even announced, Epic said that Fortnite was on track to be their most successful game ever by the end of the year.

Seems like a lot of people are missing the point. This isn't about another battle royale clone to compete with. This about your engine partner deciding to compete with you out of the blue.

If you're a developer and partner with Epic you'll want to make sure you protect yourself from them taking all your ideas and then using their inhouse knowledge of the engine to build a direct competitor that runs a lot better than your game does or probably ever will.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

They aren't competing for the game mode, but they are competing for...? What?

Assets?
Their own engine performance?
Soundtrack?
Player count?

You said they aren't competing with them for the mode but they are coming with them anyhow - without saying how they are competing.

Then you say they are a direct competitor, so they are competing for the gameplay/mode?

Alienous

The way I'm intepreting it is Bluehole needed Unreal Engine 4 to support 100 players, they requested the help of Epic's engine division and got that working, Fortnite becomes successful and Epic's game division thinks that those game mechanics are a good fit for Fortnite, deciding to add a similar mode to that game.

I don't see any reason to think that if Epic's game divison wouldn't have done the same if PUBG didn't use UE4. At most it seems like Fortnite Battle Royale might have taken longer to release, as the engine would have to be tailored to support 100 players.

I don't see why Epic shouldn't be able to compete with a game that uses UE4 - Epic allows their engine to be used for games that compete with their own after all.

Fortnite was an "epic bomb" now?! The game that sold over half a million digital copies two months ago? The same one Epic said is on track to be their biggest game ever by the end of the year? Wow, it's lucky that they were able to steal the completely unique Battle Royale™ idea from that bastion of original concepts, Bluehole.

ookami

big mistake PUBG devs...

Wait what ? Which big mistake ? Just think if you were on their shoes. Microsoft ask you to port the game on Xbox, you might have the budget but don't even have the resources. They give you money, and resources to help the development. Why would you refuse ?

nynt9

The way I'm intepreting it is Bluehole needed Unreal Engine 4 to support 100 players, they requested the help of Epic's engine division and got that working, Fortnite becomes successful and Epic's game division thinks that those game mechanics are a good fit for Fortnite, deciding to add a similar mode to that game.

I don't see any reason to think that if Epic's game divison wouldn't have done the same if PUBG didn't use UE4. At most it seems like Fortnite Battle Royale might have taken longer to release, as the engine would have to be tailored to support 100 players.

I don't see why Epic shouldn't be able to compete with a game that uses UE4 - Epic allows their engine to be used for games that compete with their own after all.

From what I understand bluehole went to epic to help modify UE4 to accommodate for the features they need, like map size, player count and other mechanics, and epic used this know-how that they made with bluehole to reshape fortnite into a PUBG clone-ish. So the game making side of epic using code the engine consultant side of epic helped make for a customer, to beat said customer to the market.

Ploid 3.0

From what I understand bluehole went to epic to help modify UE4 to accommodate for the features they need, like map size, player count and other mechanics, and epic used this know-how that they made with bluehole to reshape fortnite into a PUBG clone-ish. So the game making side of epic using code the engine consultant side of epic helped make for a customer, to beat said customer to the market.

I'd like to see the whole true story. Bluehole giving Epic pointers and technical knowledge to improve Unreal Engine seems kind of funny to me. Maybe Bluehole are just that good at engine stuff. Epic on the other hand constantly seem to make improvements and use Paragon, and who knows what other game of theirs, to show off or test new features (it seems, new skins on two characters just to show off things like capes, crazy hair, material stuff, and so on).

Justified

I'd like to see the whole true story. Bluehole giving Epic pointers and technical knowledge to improve Unreal Engine seems kind of funny to me. Maybe Bluehole are just that good at engine stuff. Epic on the other hand constantly seem to make improvements and use Paragon, and who knows what other game of theirs, to show off or test new features (it seems, new skins on two characters just to show off things like capes, crazy hair, material stuff, and so on).

I dont think he meant Bluehole brought the knowledge, but they requested certain features, and worked with EPIC to make it happen

Ploid 3.0

I dont think he meant Bluehole brought the knowledge, but they requested certain features, and worked with EPIC to make it happen

That would be silly for them to think Epic wouldn't then utilize this new research they did, or try to show it off in one of their games to sell UE4 to more developers because it supports 100+ players now, and it runs butter smooth. Develop on Unreal Engine 4 (TM).

Ironic, they wanted sympathy but instead made themselves look like the bad guys in the process.

I'm glad it blew up in their faces, this kind of reaction feels unprecedented to me. For instance, I also can't remember people from Rocksteady complaining about devs introducing extremely similar combat mechanics to their games, yet the "Arkham style" of combat is featured in a ton of titles ever since Arkham Asylum came out.

Top Bottom