• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

WEGGLES

Went to pre-release at the place I usually play commander. Had a blast. Dinos are a lot of fun... might just... need... to make a dino commander deck :D

Promo was foil Ripjaw Raptor, which is sitting at ~$16 online.

Tunoku

I forgot about the whole Prerelease/MtG Arena invite thing. How does it work? I already signed up for the Beta when it got announced and gave them my DCI number. Should I get on the priority list automatically or is there some code?

Murder

2-1 at both my pre-releases.

Went 4 color jank dumb stuff first one.

Today I went R/W Dino/Vampires low to the ground nothing costing higher then 5. Worked well until I went up against the other undefeated player who had almost a standard deck it worked so nice. Regisaur Alpha, gave it flying +2/+2 and haste and flickered the dino that deals 3 to a creature and player like 2 times. Got de_stroyed first game and 2nd game felt like I was in it until he went off again.

Overall I like the set and can't wait to play it more (hopefully on MTG: Arena) and get into a nice and fresh standard season.

Been brewing/testing U/B Tempo Pirates and I really like it so far. Hostage Taker, the 1 mana counter Pirate, Scarab God, good stuff. Of course I'll wait to invest in a deck after the usual early SCG and see where stuff shakes up.

DrArchon

Been brewing/testing U/B Tempo Pirates and I really like it so far. Hostage Taker, the 1 mana counter Pirate, Scarab God, good stuff. Of course I'll wait to invest in a deck after the usual early SCG and see where stuff shakes up.

I was really down on Hostage Taker at first because I just looked at it and I was like "yawn, Faceless Butcher, whatever", but the fact it has to be killed before you untap or else it turns into Control Magic is really changing my opinion of it.

Tempo Pirates look sweet though, especially with Spell Piece and Pirate Mana Leak.

Just finished my first prerelease! 1-3. My pulls were baaaaad. I'm sure that the rare lands are good for constructed but losing 3 of the rare slots to 'em (and another to Thaumatic Compass, which is a cool combat trick when it flips but scales realllly slowly without additional ramp) meant I was pretty underpowered. I tried a Grixis Pirates deck, but didn't have enough creatures to really make it work. Switched over to Naya Dinos after the first match and took a game in each of the next, won the last 2-0. I definitely started playing better and better as the rust fell off in each game, though. Gonna do something like this again for sure.

Sidenote: Wanted Scoundrels is a BOMB if you don't have consistent access to good removal btw. 4/3 on T2 is nuts, and the downside (while dope!) is hard enough to get to make it of dubious value.

Zocano

Did not have a lot of support for much else than big dinoossssss.

Opened ripjaw raptor (foil), regisaur alpha, the wrath of god avatar, and a bunch of other dinos. Deck worked out okay but left before my fourth game. Went 1-1-1 first game was a draw cause it was so grindyyyyyy

Hero

I see "Vindicate isn't that strong." is the new "Mana Leak is fair and balanced."

You guys. Come on. 3 mana to nuke anything. It's way too fucking good for Modern.

MoxManiac

I see "Vindicate isn't that strong." is the new "Mana Leak is fair and balanced."

You guys. Come on. 3 mana to nuke anything. It's way too fucking good for Modern.

Does anguished unmaking see play in modern? Because that is a better card than vindicate most of the time.

kirblar

Kids these days do not understand how good T1 Hierarch/Birds, T2 Stone Rain, T3 "lol I win" is.

(I have receipts of PTQ T8s Dork into Vindicate and Dork into Boom-ing people!)

MoxManiac

Ooh, I didn't consider the early LD potential. I only play EDH these days so that probably warps my card evaluation skill.

And I take offense to that kirblar, I've been playing magic since '95!

Does anguished unmaking see play in modern? Because that is a better card than vindicate most of the time.

While great, I do not really think that it's as good because Vindicate could absolutely wreck Eldrazi-Tron.

If you're wanting to just go after creatures or non-land permanents you have so many other options, even at less CMC.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
3-1 with my merfolk turbo aggro and it was so based on commons and uncommons that I'm pretty sure it's a sick limited strategy in general

Explore fucking rocks

My third prerelease. Second time with my girlfriend!

I went 2-2, making it the first time I ever went even at a prerelease and the first time I won at least one match with a deck I built by myself :OOO

Red/White aggro with the pirate that doubles your damage as a finisher! I steamrolled round one, got mana screwed/flooded in round two, had three really close games in round three, and steamrolled round four.

I got two packs as prizes hehehehehe<3

Boogiepop

So, I'm planning on making stupid/junky Merfolk and Dino tribal commander decks to go along with my cats. However... I got curious and looked at the other options out there (much as that's probably a bad idea for my wallet), aaaaaand... I'm kind of interested in Ally tribal now. How reasonably could I throw together something for fairly cheap? With the note that I'm probably going to insist that I'll just whip up and use some proxy method for stuff of any real value I already have a copy of. (Aka the "I could swap this from one deck to another back and forth whenever, but this is more convenient, so I'll put an image of it in the decksleeve or some crap" since we're playing casually. But I certainly don't want to be picking up multiples of $5+ staples or whatever to put in multiple decks).

Haines

Banned
Me and my buddy both usually do well and struggled hard with these 2 prereleases.

Set seems like you need to open good rares in sealed or you have a hard time pressuring.

I apologize for asking, because im sure this has been answered. Does the dci number just track i played in prerelease and give that early arena beta access or do i have to do anything. Alsoany rumour on when that beta will start yet

I can honeslty see myself playing way more arena than i would care to admit bc i oove magic and it seems like finally the best way for me to play

Yeef

Me and my buddy both usually do well and struggled hard with these 2 prereleases.

Set seems like you need to open good rares in sealed or you have a hard time pressuring.

I apologize for asking, because im sure this has been answered. Does the dci number just track i played in prerelease and give that early arena beta access or do i have to do anything. Alsoany rumour on when that beta will start yet

I can honeslty see myself playing way more arena than i would care to admit bc i oove magic and it seems like finally the best way for me to play
If you haven't signed up for the beta using your DCI number, you need to do that. https://magic.wizards.com/en/mtgarena

Other than that, you don' need to do anything special. Ass soon as the event is reported, it'll show up on your DCI record.

Zocano

The shaper merfolk that someone else just mentioned gave me fucking hell. Also Vraska is fucking impossible to deal with especially with even a remotely stuffed up board.

Locke562

Has anyone here sold entire decks? I want to unload my modern Jund and Merfolk decks. Not sure the best way to go about doing that.

Edit: I haven’t played since late 2015/early 2016. Wow, Jund isn’t even tier 2 anymore.

Does Vindicate even get played at all in Legacy?

And hasn't one of the top Modern decks been compared to a Legacy decks in how it operates?

I don't think it's too good for Modern. It might be slightly format changing, but it wouldn't be overpowering.

Has anyone here sold entire decks? I want to unload my modern Jund and Merfolk decks. Not sure the best way to go about doing that.

Edit: I haven’t played since late 2015/early 2016. Wow, Jund isn’t even tier 2 anymore.

I'm doing this buy selling cards to ABU Games. They seem to have the highest buylist most of the time, and they only have two condition categories. NM and Played. So it's really easy to grade your cards. I've only found a few cards of mine that they aren't currently taking.

The other approach is to use a Facebook group and see if anyone wants to just buy your deck. This could work but may also take some time to find a buyer and also has other risks.

And hasn't one of the top Modern decks been compared to a Legacy decks in how it operates?

I don't think it's too good for Modern. It might be slightly format changing, but it wouldn't be overpowering.

I don't think that it is being played in Legacy, hence the article that I read saying it needs a comeback. But I think that was a CFB article and they could just be trying to sell cards. ;)

Zocano

most planeswalkers are, especially when they cost more mana

Even Huatli did me in on the match I actually lost. Dumping out a 3/3 every turn is tough.

I really wish I opened up a lightning strike or two. I saw zero removal in naya.

I said before, but I feel like there's even less removal than Amonkhet but maybe it was just my group (of like 30 ppl).

Hero

Not at all, really, maybe a 1x in the 75. That still doesn't change the fact that it'd be too powerful for Modern.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I'm doing this buy selling cards to risks.

I don't think that it is being played in Legacy, hence the article that I read saying it needs a comeback. But I think that was a CFB article and they could just be trying to sell cards. ;)

Eldrazi has killed any other kind of midrange deck in Legacy except Moon Stompy variants, and it is basically the same thing in Modern.

Boogiepop

So, I was looking through the Dinosaur cards, and that search also brought up this fellow:
Image.ashx

Now, obviously you'd need to convince people to somehow let you play an Un-whichever one it was card, but... in theory he could both use dino support, and actually now do something with that "bands with other dinosaurs" in a gameplay sense rather than just a joke one...

So, my question is... if you could actually play it, would this be a good card? It's got an interesting combination of good, bad, and insignificant effects baked in through all the silliness...

So, I was looking through the Dinosaur cards, and that search also brought up this fellow:
Image.ashx

Now, obviously you'd need to convince people to somehow let you play an Un-whichever one it was card, but... in theory he could both use dino support, and actually now do something with that "bands with other dinosaurs" in a gameplay sense rather than just a joke one...

So, my question is... if you could actually play it, would this be a good card? It's got an interesting combination of good, bad, and insignificant effects baked in through all the silliness...

Well, here's what Old Fogey actually does, taken from the Gatherer comments (are they ever going to re-enable those?), taken directly from the Unhinged FAQ.
Turn #1 -- You play Old Fogey.

Turn #2 -- During your untap step before you untap, Old Fogey phases out.

Turn #3 -- During your untap step before you untap, Old Fogey phases in. Cumulative upkeep says, "Hey, pay {1}." (This assumes your abilities have the ability to speak -- mine do). Echo says, "Pay {GG} or sacrifice Old Fogey." And finally fading says "Take off one of my three fading counters."

Turn #4 -- During your untap step before you untap, Old Fogey phases out.

Turn #5 -- During your untap step before you untap, Old Fogey phases in. Cumulative upkeep says, "Hey, pay {2}." Echo says, "I'm good." And fading says "Take off another fading counter. I'm down to one."

Turn #6 -- During your untap step before you untap, Old Fogey phases out.

Turn #7 -- During your untap step before you untap, Old Fogey phases in. Cumulative upkeep says, "Hey, pay {3}." Echo says, "I'm still good." And fading says "Take off my last fading counter."

Turn #8 -- During your untap step before you untap, Old Fogey phases out.

Turn #9 -- During your untap step before you untap, Old Fogey phases in. Cumulative upkeep says, "Hey, pay {4}." Fading then chimes in and says, "You know, I'm going to make you sacrifice Old Fogey. Do you really want to pay {4}?" Then cumulative upkeep says, "Maybe I will. What are you going to do about it?" And then echo says, "Guys, can't we just all get along? Can't we all just get along? Get along? Along?" A fight then ensues which ends with Old Fogey's death.

Image.ashx

I think it could be okay in a Cube Draft. Echo is irrelevant now, since once it phases back in you'll never have to pay it (it wasn't like this before M10). Cumulative Upkeep will only be relevant on turns where it's attacking. Rampage and Flanking are both very effective deterrents to blocking.

The end result is that you play this t2, it goes away t3, on t4 you pay Cumulative Upkeep 1 and swing for 7, nothing happens t5, t6 you pay 2 Mana and swing for another 7. Beyond that it's not very useful, but it did let you swing for 14 and/or ate a few blockers/removal spells. Fading will probably never be relevant, since Cumulative Upkeep will make it a liability long before that matters.

If you have a way to give it Haste then it's suddenly an MVP.

Edit: Beaten, but I am pretty sure you never have to pay the echo cost as of M10, which makes a big difference on turn 3.

I mean, real planeswalkers (Nissa, Gideon, Liliana, and Chandra) have been problematic bombs in Limited. Dovin Baan, Samut, Saheeli Rai (aside from livin' the dream and going infinite in Limited), etc. have been fine.

And to contextualize it a bit differently in terms of Limited bombs:

I would not take Nicol Bolas or Samut over any of the Grixis Gods in Hour Limited.
I would not take Gideon or Nissa over Glorybringer in Amonkhet Limited, and I'd only take Lily because she has more value in general, not for her actual value in the event.
I can't say what I'd take in Aether Revolt Limited because you couldn't convince me to play it, but I guess maybe Ajani from what I recall?
I would admittedly consider Chandra over most cards in Kaladesh, but the better Gearhulks would be a close thing, and I certainly wouldn't take Dovin Baan or Saheeli Rai over any Gearhulk (okay maybe Cataclysmic).

I think if anything Limited has a problem with bomb-ass creatures, not planeswalkers.

Ri'Orius

Thought my pool was pretty weak, threw together some BW aggro stuff splashing blue for bounce because I was short on removal across all colors. I expected to get some hits in and then get stonewalled by dinos, but ended up going 4-0! I do think that was largely due to luck: I always drew just the right answer, including getting to Settle the Wreckage a Carnage Tyrant (I'd hoped he'd also attack with a Jade Guardian that turn, but he sent the Tyrant in solo).

And yeah, Territorial Hammerskull is as good as he seems.

Card Boy

Banned
Is tcgplayer's cart optimiser supposed to take forever? It's been "processing my cart" for the past hour.

It's been slow for the past few months. Site must be getting more traction lately especially with all the new TCG's and new sets of existing TCG's. The optimizer is the best thing about TCG player, it's saved me heaps (or made me spent more).

Top Bottom