• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime comes out in May. Costs £10 more on Nintendo Switch.

killroy87

It's especially hilarious because, if any of the versions will be at all compromised in terms of visuals and performance, it will be the Switch. It's not like the fucking Scorpio version is $10 more.

It doesn't explain the digital price

Maybe the overhead from the cost of the carts is so high that they don't want to incentivize the digital version by making it cheaper?

If the Digital version was cheaper than the Physical version people may not buy the Cart.

jonno394

I had no interest in this game until i heard it was coming to switch. Now if i buy it, it'll be during a (hopeful) switch sale or for peanuts in steam way down the line.

Had scheduled it in for day 1 in my budget as well :/

£40 for what is apparently only 6 hours or so. No thanks.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Am I alone in feeling like this game's aesthetic is totally ruined by the dopey-lookin' main character?

This isn't the thread for this discussion, but I agree with you. I don't have a problem with any particular aspect of his design, but the way he's rendered or shaded or something makes him look wrong compared to the rest of the game. Unfinished in some way.

LewieP

Pretty sure MS and Sony have specific policies in place to prevent games costing more on their platform (in cases where there is no additional content etc).

Maybe Nintendo didn't think to have such a policy for the Switch because it's a long time since they did any third party relations.

fuck outta here. I was planning to pick this up on the Switch but now will reconsider picking it up at all. Maybe in the future when the price drops I'll consider it again.

maxcriden

Perhaps there is a contractual need to price match? Some agreement between Nintendo and retail?

I don't think that would be likely to be the case. Nintendo has previously offered their own product (WWHD) for $10 less than retail, prior to retail release, for example.

It's especially hilarious because, if any of the versions will be at all compromised in terms of visuals and performance, it will be the Switch. It's not like the fucking Scorpio version is $10 more.

So it comes later, is probably inferior in terms of graphics and framerate and costs more? They really want a bomba. What's the point?

Thoraxes

So uh... does this confirm Switch Physical then?

Don't see why the digital version would be more though. That one should be at parity wit other platforms.

I wonder if they're doing this to recoup unexpected development costs. Maybe they weren't expecting to develop a Switch version?

$29.99 = €34.99.

What?? Why?

Also that Switch price... this is just wrong!

This is just a particularly noticeable example of dealing with EU taxes.

jonno394

So uh... does this confirm Switch Physical then?

Don't see why the digital version would be more though. That one should be at parity wit other platforms.

Yup, says right there in the pr, just doesn't say how late it'll be when this premium is charged.

I've been chasing this game since it's first announcement. It's always been a PS4 game for me but that Switch tax is bullshit and I feel like pulling my support.

Ridley327

So, not day and date on Switch and $10 more because why not.

I understand that Switch cards probably cost a bit more than Blu-rays, but Gamestop somehow managed to price Has-Been Heroes at $20 at retail and digital, regardless of the platform. What possible excuse could these guys have for not following suit?

NeoRaider

All this just doesn't make any sense imo.

That € price... i just don't get it. Also Switch price... what are they thinking??
I wanted to buy this day 1 to support them, not anymore.

DjRalford

Hopefully this doesn't become the norm, I'm wondering if the devs feel that because people can play at home or on the go they can warrant charging more as that's bollocks and just removes the advantage of the hardware.

LordKano

So, not day and date on Switch and $10 more because why not.

I understand that Switch cards probably cost a bit more than Blu-rays, but Gamestop somehow managed to price Has-Been Heroes at $20 at retail and digital, regardless of the platform. What possible excuse could these guys have for not following suit?

Besides Puyo Puyo (which, at least, offered a cheaper digital version and some goodies in the physical one), every multi-platform game costs the same as a normal version on PS4/One. There's no real evidence of more costs due to cartridges. They're just trying to ride on the Switch hype.

Think about it, this thing will probably cost the same as Splatoon 2, releasing in the same timeframe, in Europe. Heck, for 45€ you can get Zelda BoTW in some stores.

black070

So strange how this game went from being one of my most anticipated releases to one I honestly doubt I'll ever pick up. It just lost a lot of its charm during its re-reveal, and I can't imagine the game justifies that price tag.

They are probably just charging more for the Switch version since it has such a short catalogue and people are more prone to buy it because they want something new to play.

salromano

Response I received from Grey Box about the Switch version costing more:

Grey Box said:
We set prices for our products based on the costs of development and publishing for each specific platform.

Any word on U.S. pricing? I'd like to know if this is just a region-specific thing or if I should just buy Rime on Xbox instead of Switch.

jonno394

The publishers aren't going to explain this to eurogamer. Just hope enough people vote with their wallets here.

Slightly concerns me about upcoming Indies now and how much more expensive they might be on Switch.

Response I received from Grey Box about the Switch version costing more:

So they don't actually say if it costs more to publish on switch, they're just giving a very vague response here

UCBooties

LOL fucking whut?

If Nintendo really made the carts that much more expensive to produce than discs, this may be the most spectacular example of a platform holder shooting themselves in the foot since Vita memory cards. Did they really think that 3rd party publishers wouldn't pass the cost on to consumers, way to make the Switch version of every multi-plat game more expensive by default.

I'm willing to wait to see what goes on with a couple other titles though before jumping to that conclusion. I don't trust Tequilaworks at all at this point given their previous fuckery with RIME, and the press release makes it sound like they're trying to justify the price point by pointing out that the Switch is portable, which is... pretty much nonsense as far as price justification goes.

TLDR: Bad new for Nintendo if they actually made the Switch carts too expensive, but I'm not ruling out Tequilaworks just being shifty given their history.

JB2448

Why do people really think that cards are more expensive at this point? I don't understand. It didn't work that way for the 3DS or the Vita (the former actually had read/write function, so it's even more expensive to produce, yet they were still affordable), so why would it work that way for the Switch? It makes no sense.
Also, there's no price parity clause. Puyo Puyo Tetris is cheaper digitally.

Top Bottom