• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime comes out in May. Costs £10 more on Nintendo Switch.

dumbo

I understand that Switch cards probably cost a bit more than Blu-rays, but Gamestop somehow managed to price Has-Been Heroes at $20 at retail and digital, regardless of the platform. What possible excuse could these guys have for not following suit?

Maybe Rime requires a 20GB cartridge whereas the other game only requires an 8GB? (or whatever numbers are reasonable).

salromano

Any word on U.S. pricing? I'd like to know if this is just a region-specific thing or if I should just buy Rime on Xbox instead of Switch.

Pricing is $29.99 / €34.99 / £29.99 for PS4/XBO/PC, and $39.99 / €44.99 / £39.99 for Switch.

Edit: Quoted for new page:

Response I received from Grey Box about the Switch version costing more:

Grey Box said:
We set prices for our products based on the costs of development and publishing for each specific platform.

Ridley327

Besides Puyo Puyo (which, at least, offered a cheaper digital version and some goodies in the physical one), every multi-platform game costs the same as a normal version on PS4/One. There's no real evidence of more costs due to cartridges. They're just trying to ride on the Switch hype.

Think about it, this thing will probably cost the same as Splatoon 2, releasing in the same timeframe, in Europe. Heck, for 45€ you can get Zelda BoTW in some stores.

The only thing that's close to this in terms of "uhhhh, what are you guys doing with that price gun" is Ultra Street Fighter 2 when it's compared to SSF2THD, but that does boast some new features over that version, largely paltry as they are. This is, as far as anyone knows, the same damn game.

Makonero

Unfortunately, the only message that will send them is not to port games to the Switch.

Yeah there's no winning move here. They fucked themselves. I was really looking forward to this filling the gaps between now and Splatoon and Mario, but I'll just wait a year for a sale. Ridiculous gouging of digital consumers.

Basically trying to ride the new hardware bandwagon. Puyo Puyo Tetris also costs more on Switch than the PS4 version.

Just like Puyo Puyo.
The Switch tax.

The thing with Puyo Puyo Tetris is the Switch version has exclusive key-chains. Is that worth an additional $10 for a physical version? Not really in my opinion. Plus, digital is the price of the PS4 version, $30, in Puyo Puyo's case.

Rime, on the other hand, by this statement, seems to be higher on both physical and digital compared to other platforms with no differences in physical Switch version and digital Switch version unlike Puyo.

LordKano

Unfortunately, the only message that will send them is not to port games to the Switch.

They can keep their games if they're intending to screw consumers like that.

The only thing that's close to this in terms of "uhhhh, what are you guys doing with that price gun" is Ultra Street Fighter 2 when it's compared to SSF2THD, but that does boast some new features over that version, largely paltry as they are. This is, as far as anyone knows, the same damn game.

USF2 is just a game being massively overpriced by Capcom, but that's not something uncommon or particularly not consumer-friendly. Not like this one.

Pricing is $29.99 / €34.99 / £29.99 for PS4/XBO/PC, and $39.99 / €44.99 / £39.99 for Switch.

Thanks for pointing out my lack of reading skills... Don't know how I missed that! I guess I'll wait for reviews and see if the game is even worth buying. If it is, I'll buy in elsewhere. What a bummer.

It's the same, it's in the OP. So we'll both be playing it on XB1 I guess (pending reviews).

The pending reviews part is quite important! But yeah... this really doesn't make sense. Maybe they only expect to sell about 50 copies on Switch and wanna recoup that $500 dev kit!

Response I received from Grey Box about the Switch version costing more:

Its not a privilege for Switch owners to play their game. It's like so insane to me that its acceptable to just crank the price up and blame development costs. If the switch version jacked up the development that much then the game should not have even been ported by this logic.

It's just new console/Nintendo tax. No one should bother with it.

LewieP

Besides Puyo Puyo (which, at least, offered a cheaper digital version and some goodies in the physical one), every multi-platform game costs the same as a normal version on PS4/One.

The entry price for Binding of Isaac is a lot higher too, since they won't let you buy it without the DLC on Switch.

TheCrackInTime

Neo Member
So it comes out later and they want an extra tenner for the privilege? Yeah, no thanks.

It's a shame as I was interested in picking this up, but I'm not supporting this bollocks with a purchase.

LiK

The thing with Puyo Puyo Tetris is the Switch version has exclusive key-chains. Is that worth an additional $10 for a physical version? Not really in my opinion. Plus, digital is the price of the PS4 version, $30, in Puyo Puyo's case.

Rime, on the other hand, by this statement, seems to be higher on both physical and digital compared to other platforms with no differences in physical Switch version and digital Switch version unlike Puyo.

The keychains are just launch bundles and I don't believe they're the reason for the price hike. I bet you the ones without keychains will be the exact same price.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Way to literally fuck yourselves out of many potential initial sales. And that is the LAST thing this game needed with its development history. Just no.

LordKano

The keychains are just launch bundles and I don't believe they're the reason for the price hike. I bet you the ones without keychains will be the exact same price.

They're the official explanation of why the game costs more. At least, there's a real reason. And they're offering a cheaper option, digitally.

Maybe it's simply because Switch version require more effort to port. The Switch spec is below ps4 xb1 that maybe they have to spent more time changing their asset to work on Switch, which is why it end up more expensive

Cday

Banned
Switch owners are already getting taken for a ride with $60 Bomberman and the overpriced peripherals. Why can't these guys get theirs too? I'm sure it was disruptive to port this to a new system on such short notice.

GulAtiCa

Was kinda interested on Switch. But, I'll now wait and see if I'll have to pay more. Maybe I'll just get it on PS4.

I wonder if this means GameStop is gonna hike up the preorder price because they've been listing that as 29.99 for the past few months.

And like everyone said, it shouldn't be hike up this expensive, other companies have price parity on their releases with other console versions so it can't be cartridge cost. I wonder if they're including the cost of a third party porting the game.

Maybe it's simply because Switch version require more effort to port. The Switch spec is below ps4 xb1 that maybe they have to spent more time changing their asset to work on Switch, which is why it end up more expensive

Porting to the Switch is apparently very easy according to other devs, don't see why a game like RIME would be any different.

Well, that's one way of taking advantage when there's not a lot of games.

Not if you buy digital which I'll do.

This true? Not calling you a liar, but may I have a source?

That aside, not paying extra on my switch for this. I'd rather not buy it at all out of spite tbh. No excuse.

rockx4

This is some shady shit, I was mildly curious about the game, but will probably skip it completely now. It's not like there's a shortage of great games coming out soon, or just recently released.

Didn't Minecraft do this on Wii U? What an odd trend. Almost feels like they're taking advantage of the fact that Ninty has a slower stream of content, and some people will pay extra just to have something new to play on their Nintendo hardware.

Oregano

Hahaha get fucked.

Is Sega going to charge more for Sonic Mania too?

Tantalus is getting continually fucked by their publishers.

Zukkoyaki

This isn't the way to garner goodwill during your coming out party, Greybox. Your first significant release that people are paying attention to and you do this...

Didn't Minecraft do this on Wii U? What an odd trend. Almost feels like they're taking advantage of the fact that Ninty has a slower stream of content, and some people will pay extra just to have something new to play on their Nintendo hardware.

Dunno but Minecraft on Wii U has a huge amount of added Nintendo exclusive content.

Lima

Send a message to never release anything on Switch.

People NEED to buy this. So publishers will have confidence and will expect good sales.

And that's fine. Switch can just be a Nintendo machine.

Also no one should need to buy this on Switch. In fact considering Deadlight no one should buy this game at all, regardless of platform.

NimbusD

Its cuz someone like me wants to have games on my switch, both because I'm excited ofr the new console and second by nature of being a new console it doesn't have many games... and will probably buy this even though I'm pissed about being exploited like that. I'm the problem.

Linkhero1

Send a message to never release anything on Switch.

People NEED to buy this. So publishers will have confidence and will expect good sales.
I think I'll spend my money on something that's not priced $10 higher than other console versions. Shovel Knight is looking good.

Top Bottom