• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

ss_lemonade

Tried the game. My God, who thought it was a good idea to throw an almost unlimited amount of enemies on you during almost every encounter??!? Everytime you come to a circular room, you know the game's going to throw an absurd number of enemies at you that it just gets tiring. Plus the framerate dips don't help and the fact that every enemy without a gun just wants to grab you makes me wonder what Team Ninja was thinking.

Tried the game. My God, who thought it was a good idea to throw an almost unlimited amount of enemies on you during almost every encounter??!? Everytime you come to a circular room, you know the game's going to throw an absurd number of enemies at you that it just gets tiring. Plus the framerate dips don't help and the fact that every enemy without a gun just wants to grab you makes me wonder what Team Ninja was thinking.

Wait, are you playing NG3 or NG2?

benzy

NG 3. My memory of 2 is a bit fuzzy now, but I don't remember previous games throwing as many enemies as NG3. It just feels like I'm fighting the same group of enemies over and over and over

That's because you are fighting the same groups of enemies over and over. I think ng2 had the same amount of enemies on screen but there weren't repeated waves of them.

Skilletor

That's because you are fighting the same groups of enemies over and over. I think ng2 had the same amount of enemies on screen but there weren't repeated waves of them.

I don't think there were the same number except for in tests of valor, but even in those there was more diversity in enemies than what I've seen of NG3 at comparable progression.

benzy

I don't think there were the same number except for in tests of valor, but even in those there was more diversity in enemies than what I've seen of NG3 at comparable progression.

I thought there were quite a few number of enemies during the coliseum fight after killing Volf, and certain parts when fighting the black spider ninjas. Maybe my memory is a little rusty.

So, I went back to playing certain parts of NG2 again, and graphically I think it even looks superior to NG3. Even running at a lower resolution NG2 has less aliasing and better texture work. The foliage especially in NG3 is abysmal.

ng2
dsc_0231sief6.jpg

ng3
dsc_0238ujkf3.jpg

Started my hard mode run. My argument for the slowdown is the same as the matrix staircase in NG2, it makes it look more epic :). But seriously the slowdown is rough but not game breaking...at least not yet.

SHAZOOM

I thought there were quite a few number of enemies during the coliseum fight after killing Volf, and certain parts when fighting the black spider ninjas. Maybe my memory is a little rusty.

So, I went back to playing certain parts of NG2 again, and graphically I think it even looks superior to NG3. Even running at a lower resolution NG2 has less aliasing and better texture work. The foliage especially in NG3 is abysmal.

ng2
dsc_0231sief6.jpg

ng3
dsc_0238ujkf3.jpg

SERIOUSLY. Your comparing a shot at night with dimly lit fire to a blue sky daylight shot. I'm not defending NG3, but you're being ridiculous here.

NG2 looks better because it runs at 60 fps, but lets not act like the texture work "looks better". Its that same "non textures" they were using on DOA4 (barely any normal/bump mapping or even skin texturing going on), which were already outdated at the 360s launch.

If anything, NG3's mistake was trying to have too much fidelity at the cost of stable framerate and inputs. But acting like the Texture work in the game was bad? C'mon son.

Mdk7

I beat it. If you didn't already know, it's really disappointing and not even worth a rental, I think.

Late game spoilers:

I love how the game is so limited in moves and weapons, and then proceeds to take away the bow near the end of the game.

You forgot to say they take away
your bow
after one of the worst and most ridiculous sections of the game.
(i'm referring to the
press a button to win chase scene on the car
, just in case...)

Seriously, what a gigantic piece of shit this game is.

ryan13ts

I got the game and played up to level 3 before removing it from my Xbox, returning it to the store and demanding a refund. I've only done this once in my life and that was with Sonic 06 so that tells you how big of a piece of stinking shit this game is.

Everything that made the last 2 games amazing is thrown out the window in favor of idiotic changes that ruins the gameplay. The worst offenses are:

-The main annoying thing to me is only 2 weapons, no items, and no leveling up. Combat just feels pointless and theres no reason to kill anyone except to progress foward. Speaking of fighting...

-the game throws WAY too many enemies at you in encounters. It was ok in previous games since you were working towards earning karma, but once again here, its just pointless fighting that gets old quick. Hell, even the previous games didn't make you fight that many in regular encounters.

-EVERYTHING stuns Ryu. It makes fighting extremely annoying since you'll begin a combo and get stopped by a single projectile or gunfire. I was playing on hard, but thats no excuse since I always play or hard in NG games and never have that problem.

-Enemy grabs happen way too often and take too much damage. Enemies would grab you in previous games, but it was sparcely and did reasonable damage. Here, it happens every second and does unreasonable amounts of damage. Its beyond cheap and extremely annoying. Also, soldiers use guns too much instead of fighting head on and the damage from them is unreasonable as well.

All in all, this game is shit and I wouldn't even give it to my most hated enemy in the world. I had really hoped the reviews were just exagerating things, but its even worse than reviews made it out to be. Its cheap, unfair, repetitve and flat out unfun. Whoever was in charge of making this piece if shit should just commit ritual suicide right now to atone for the disgrace they've brought to the 'Ninja Gaiden' name.

My score - 0.5/10

ss_lemonade

-the game throws WAY too many enemies at you in encounters. It was ok in previous games since you were working towards earning karma, but once again here, its just pointless fighting that gets old quick. Hell, even the previous games didn't make you fight that many in regular encounters.
Exactly how I feel. There were times where I just said "Oh God, more enemies?". With previous games, the fighting always felt good because of the variety with weapons, moves etc. Here, it just feels like a chore

benzy

SERIOUSLY. Your comparing a shot at night with dimly lit fire to a blue sky daylight shot. I'm not defending NG3, but you're being ridiculous here.

NG2 looks better because it runs at 60 fps, but lets not act like the texture work "looks better". Its that same "non textures" they were using on DOA4 (barely any normal/bump mapping or even skin texturing going on), which were already outdated at the 360s launch.

If anything, NG3's mistake was trying to have too much fidelity at the cost of stable framerate and inputs. But acting like the Texture work in the game was bad? C'mon son.

dsc_0238ujkf3.jpg

The texture work is indeed better. There are spots where NG2 needs work but the foliage textures are much better than that low-res shit in NG3, regardless of night or day light since both games have pre-baked lighting anyway. The game isn't even that dark, the camera just adds contrast to the image. NG2 actually has pretty good use of bump maps and specular maps, noticeably in the cave stage and on Ryu's fiend outfit.

dsc_02217pyit.jpg

And DOA4 had awesome textures. They don't need to be normal maps or bump maps to be considered textures, so what the hell is a non texture? You can actually make out the individual leaves in NG2 and DOA4 unlike the jungle stage in NG3. I'd rather post direct-feed grabs but I don't have a capture card.

img2538aim3zzzzzzxiy9u.jpg

not my pic, but the colors and white balance is off.

MjFrancis

Playing both NG2 and NG3 in the past month just reminded me how much most action games need a level select feature available at any time throughout the game. Bayonetta spoiled me rotten.

Playing both NG2 and NG3 in the past month just reminded me how much most action games need a level select feature available at any time throughout the game. Bayonetta spoiled me rotten.

Yeah, I wanted to dick around in NG2 the other day, but just ended up playing mission mode instead because there was no level select.

mujun

Made it up to day 7 or something and gave up. This game is so so so bad. I can't believe they couldn't even make something decent with all the assets and time they had. I knew it wasn't going to be good when every time I started the game up the screen would go black and to get the game to load I would seemingly have to jam on some buttons.

I don't know what it is but this game has to an extent filled that action void for me. Aside from all the things that they changed/removed there was a small bit of enjoyment there for me. I got frustrated earlier in the thread I admit, but I'm starting to find myself actually wanting to play this game. Maybe I just got tired of shooting things.

Mdk7

I got the game and played up to level 3 before removing it from my Xbox, returning it to the store and demanding a refund. I've only done this once in my life and that was with Sonic 06 so that tells you how big of a piece of stinking shit this game is.

Everything that made the last 2 games amazing is thrown out the window in favor of idiotic changes that ruins the gameplay. The worst offenses are:

-The main annoying thing to me is only 2 weapons, no items, and no leveling up. Combat just feels pointless and theres no reason to kill anyone except to progress foward. Speaking of fighting...

-EVERYTHING stuns Ryu. It makes fighting extremely annoying since you'll begin a combo and get stopped by a single projectile or gunfire. I was playing on hard, but thats no excuse since I always play or hard in NG games and never have that problem.

-Enemy grabs happen way too often and take too much damage. Enemies would grab you in previous games, but it was sparcely and did reasonable damage. Here, it happens every second and does unreasonable amounts of damage. Its beyond cheap and extremely annoying. Also, soldiers use guns too much instead of fighting head on and the damage from them is unreasonable as well.

All in all, this game is shit and I wouldn't even give it to my most hated enemy in the world. I had really hoped the reviews were just exagerating things, but its even worse than reviews made it out to be. Its cheap, unfair, repetitve and flat out unfun. Whoever was in charge of making this piece if shit should just commit ritual suicide right now to atone for the disgrace they've brought to the 'Ninja Gaiden' name.

My score - 0.5/10
I LOL'd a bit.
Not because you're exaggerating, but because i know how you right you are.
(i beat the game and gave it a 3.5 myself for the website i work for)

Oh and consider that later the game gets even worse.
Like A LOT worse.

MjFrancis

The stuns and grabs are some things that didn't strike me as problems on Normal. On the higher difficulty settings, though, I could see how they could become issues.

On Normal difficulty I just made a note to keep my distance to avoid those. Certain enemies would have very obvious cues while others you close the distance, took the fight to the air, and got the hell out of there. Rinse, repeat x 1,000.

ss_lemonade

Anyone else getting tired of Ryu's Jump/Glide animation off tall structures? I swear every level has this now. I also find it funny how there was a stealth mechanic in the beginning, but I never saw it applied anywhere else after.

Speaking of that jungle level, there was a section where everything was wrapped in like total darkness and I had a hard time navigating. Anyone else experience the same thing? Might be my TV with its borked brightness/contrast levels

Mdk7

The stuns and grabs are some things that didn't strike me as problems on Normal. On the higher difficulty settings, though, I could see how they could become issues.

On Normal difficulty I just made a note to keep my distance to avoid those. Certain enemies would have very obvious cues while others you close the distance, took the fight to the air, and got the hell out of there. Rinse, repeat x 1,000.

On hard it quickly becomes a shuriken hell, with projectiles thrown from afar, off the screen.
It's really, really irritating.

ryan13ts

I LOL'd a bit.
Not because you're exaggerating, but because i know how you right you are.
(i beat the game and gave it a 3.5 myself for the website i work for)

Oh and consider that later the game gets even worse.
Like A LOT worse.

I honestly can't even imagine that game getting any worse than it already was at that point. It mindfucks me so hard that they could screw up a game that already had a perfect formula (as an action game). Hell, if they just made a carbon-copy of NG1 or 2, it might have not been very original, but it would have been a damn good game. Instead, they tried to change crucial gameplay elements and failed as hard as you possibly can.

I guess I can have SOME respect for them trying to change the formula up, but they shouldn't have even bothered if it was going to ruin the game doing so.

MjFrancis said:

Trust me, the stuns and grabs are just unfathomably ridiculous on Hard. Enemies (especially those red beret wearing assholes) grab you constantly and take nearly a quarter or more of your life depending on the grab. Playing on normal, this almost never happened... which is just proof of another major flaw the game has; extremely unbalanced difficultly modes. Normal mode is laughably easy, while Hard is just down right cheap and unfair.

Then there's the stuns, which happens constantly even from a single shrunken or bullet hitting you. Pulling off combo's turns into fucking hard labor because you're repeatedly getting stunned by everything small thing that hits you, which in turns opens you up to attacks from the enemy such as... you guessed it, GRABS!

Also, another thing I forgot to mention in my mini review; The controls are very unresponsive sometimes. There were times when I'd hit the button to dodge or block, and he'd just sit there, as if he'd waiting to be raped in the ass by the multiple dudes attacking me. Other times, certain attacks wouldn't pull off which made no sense at all.

I just can't stress how much I hate this game. It's beyond bad.

Raiho

Neo Member
Also, another thing I forgot to mention in my mini review; The controls are very unresponsive sometimes. There were times when I'd hit the button to dodge or block, and he'd just sit there, as if he'd waiting to be raped in the ass by the multiple dudes attacking me. Other times, certain attacks wouldn't pull off which made no sense at all.

This is something that really bothered me on Day 4. There are enemies that have an obvious throw (their hands glow and it has a long start up), but I kept getting mauled by it because Hayabusa wouldn't respond. I felt like I needed to be a certain distance away from the enemy already or be at a certain angle. If it wasn't just right, Hayabusa would stand there waiting to get killed.

One time when I was playing the NG2 Tokyo canal level in the Ninja Missions mode and I couldn't get Hayabusa to slide. There were no enemies around as I was waiting for the next wave to spawn. He just wouldn't slide. I'm thinking either the loading of new enemies ate the command input or Hayabusa was being extremely touchy because he was standing slightly on a hill.

I think I've hit my breaking point on Day 6. I got to the boss and just want to give up on the game. It's not that the boss is so extremely difficult or anything, but the encounters leading up to the boss really took a lot out of me.
The two helicopter fight in the tiny, cramped area wasn't too bad. The fight before it with the two turrets, rocket spammers, flying guys, and numerous throw-happy guys crushed me.

Skilletor

This is something that really bothered me on Day 4. There are enemies that have an obvious throw (their hands glow and it has a long start up), but I kept getting mauled by it because Hayabusa wouldn't respond. I felt like I needed to be a certain distance away from the enemy already or be at a certain angle. If it wasn't just right, Hayabusa would stand there waiting to get killed.

One time when I was playing the NG2 Tokyo canal level in the Ninja Missions mode and I couldn't get Hayabusa to slide. There were no enemies around as I was waiting for the next wave to spawn. He just wouldn't slide. I'm thinking either the loading of new enemies ate the command input or Hayabusa was being extremely touchy because he was standing slightly on a hill.

I think I've hit my breaking point on Day 6. I got to the boss and just want to give up on the game. It's not that the boss is so extremely difficult or anything, but the encounters leading up to the boss really took a lot out of me.
The two helicopter fight in the tiny, cramped area wasn't too bad. The fight before it with the two turrets, rocket spammers, flying guys, and numerous throw-happy guys crushed me.

Your freudian slip is telling you to join us. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301558

ryan13ts

Oh I am going to get it and hate it eventually. Used of course though, I am not funding this nonsense.

I like bad games sometimes - it creates my expectations for great games.

If you like playing bad games sometimes, you'll want to fucking marry this game and bear it's children.

Finally got done grinding my ninja's katana up to level 10, so I can have the Dragon Sword for the trials. The competitive multiplayer in this is comically bad.

Well damn does ANYONE like this game just a little bit? Not even a little? I'd hate to feel like I'm the only one who had at least a little enjoyment. Maybe it was Stockholm Syndrome...

RedSwirl

WTF at the
Dinosaur fight. Is there anything indicating that you're supposed to attack the legs? I would've never figured that out.

WTF at the
Dinosaur fight. Is there anything indicating that you're supposed to attack the legs? I would've never figured that out.

I spent a good 10 minutes on that part alone, just slashing away. And the game gives no indication about what is or isn't damage one way or another. He just keeps screaming, so you think you're doing damage, but...you're not? And you just kinda keep whacking until you're bored and "oh, so that's what I was suppose to do I guess?" Then it ends with an abrupt QTE in the middle of your combo, I'm not even joking.

Bad, bad game design.

Now see, the problem you've ran into there Generic, is you're trying use a semblance of logic behind boss design.

Team Ninja has surpassed those kinds of basic requirements, and are fully contend with giving you the same boss fight 3-4 times with little-to-no variations in attack patterns, with even the exact same QTEs.

I solo'd everything up to the Master Ninja trials. MN01 and MN03 I solo'd; MN02 seems doable as well since I got to the very end of it and died like a retard; MN04 might be doable, but it seems pretty stupid (it would definitely be doable if OL360Y combo'd into the ID, like in the campaign...); and MN05 seems pretty much impossible to solo. Haven't tried the Ultimate Ninja missions, but I assume those are impossible to solo as well.

So tired of games that force you to play co-op to complete them. Don't know if I'll bother trying to find a partner who wants to grind through these awful missions.

paolo11

I solo'd everything up to the Master Ninja trials. MN01 and MN03 I solo'd; MN02 seems doable as well since I got to the very end of it and died like a retard; MN04 might be doable, but it seems pretty stupid (it would definitely be doable if OL360Y combo'd into the ID, like in the campaign...); and MN05 seems pretty much impossible to solo. Haven't tried the Ultimate Ninja missions, but I assume those are impossible to solo as well.

So tired of games that force you to play co-op to complete them. Don't know if I'll bother trying to find a partner who wants to grind through these awful missions.

Add me then. My psn is mchiefing(if you have a ps3 version).

I am finding couple of players to play online for the ps3 version for clan battles and battle royale. No one is playing that much online and I need to get all the multiplayer trophies.

MjFrancis

"Ninja Gaiden 3, despite poor critical reception, sold 456k for the month of March 2012, making it the fastest selling NG to date. 'The fans have spoken, and that's the most important thing' says Team Ninja head Yosuke Hayashi"
Well I'll be the optimist and hope he takes note of the criticisms and brings NG4 back around to something more like NG1 or NG2.

"Ninja Gaiden 3, despite poor critical reception, sold 456k for the month of March 2012, making it the fastest selling NG to date. 'The fans have spoken, and that's the most important thing' says Team Ninja head Yosuke Hayashi"

I had to check the date. No way could it have sold that much in 8 days.

I hope your joking

I REALLY HOPE YOUR JOKING

ElRenoRaven

Damn that Xplay review was pretty brutal too. To get a 2/5 from Xplay says a lot. I'll still be renting it though eventually here to judge for myself.

Top Bottom