• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

Robot Pants

Just finished my Master Ninja run. Got 2.39m karma and #1 on the leaderboard, but I'm sure that will be easy to beat once someone starts a MN run with the steel on bone knowledge that I previously posted.

Game's alright anyway, I'd give it a 6/10. It's like a less crappy Ninja Blade, but still an awful Ninja Gaiden. Guess I'll try out mission mode next.

Hey man, if you wouldn't mind, can you see if my score is up there? Don't go looking hard if yo u can't see it right away. GT: PHANT0M LIMBS
Thanks, brosef. Even if you don't look haha
Also nice job on #1.
I've definitely found a way to karma farm in multiple spot. I didn't actually do it, but I noticed I could have kept doing it for a long time if I really wanted. You can probably do it on just about every encounter since every encounter is basically an arena, as long as the enemies you are facing will let you. It involves moving in a circle and throwing shurikens constantly to boost your number of hits. The one time I tried it in chapter 4, I got up to 400 hits easily before I stopped. That's an extra 4000 right there. Plus the steel on bone technique. So yea I'm sure our scores will be lowered once people figure that out.

And reading this thread about the story is funny. I literally skipped every cutscene both times through the game so I have no idea what the story was ever about. I might have to watch them online now haha

luka

Loves Robotech S1
as far as the sales stuff, i don't know or care. it is pretty clear in my opinion that this was an attempt to evolve action games outside of the established orb, weapon, item template that is pretty much every action game we play today. keeping the focus on the action only. i didn't say it was a successful attempt, but how would you explain the omissions? don't think he did it so nobody would like his game.

The fact that Ryu's clone has the scythe and the claws and ryu's movesets for them makes it pretty obvious that they were intended to be in the game from the start, as far as weapons are concerned. In the name of giving Hayashi just a little credit, my guess is that the cuts were at least partially mandated by Tecmo to ensure the game got finished on time and under budget. Unlike Itagaki, Hayashi really just seems like a compliant salaryman who would never put himself at odds with his bosses rather than an artist willing to defend his work. He was just left to find a way to justify it to the fans.

That's what I think, at least.

i hope devils third will save us (and i hope dmc will be at least decent and mg rising could be awesome too).

By the time Devil's Third comes out, I think a lot of people could be focusing on next generation. Also, I think it will be an entirely different game than the Ninja Gaidens or DMC's. From what i saw though, it looks good so far. Not holding my breath for DMC. Should be pretty good, but not as good as the previous installments imo. Maybe better than DNC2....maybe....

MGR should be awesome. Hopefully it comes out before 2013 though.

Hey man, if you wouldn't mind, can you see if my score is up there? Don't go looking hard if yo u can't see it right away. GT: PHANT0M LIMBS
Thanks, brosef. Even if you don't look haha
Also nice job on #1.
I've definitely found a way to karma farm in multiple spot. I didn't actually do it, but I noticed I could have kept doing it for a long time if I really wanted. You can probably do it on just about every encounter since every encounter is basically an arena, as long as the enemies you are facing will let you. It involves moving in a circle and throwing shurikens constantly to boost your number of hits. The one time I tried it in chapter 4, I got up to 400 hits easily before I stopped. That's an extra 4000 right there. Plus the steel on bone technique. So yea I'm sure our scores will be lowered once people figure that out.

And reading this thread about the story is funny. I literally skipped every cutscene both times through the game so I have no idea what the story was ever about. I might have to watch them online now haha

Nope, you're not on it. There were only four other people listed when I cleared it, so I guess you need to use the online pass to register on the leaderboards.

And yeah, I figured there would be some type of scoring exploit since there pretty much always is in these action games. I think there's at least one or two areas that has infinitely respawning enemies as well (I farmed one for a few minutes before moving on).

I played this game from chapter 1 to 4 i believe i stopped after the dinosaur thing ( don't ask for story i skipped it )my aim was to try ( for myself ) whatever i've read on the internet was true or not..

I dislike kunai Qte-like sequences a lot ..i can see why they did it ..i dislike them but it doesn't break the game..because of those sequences, the level design was kinda lazy.
Overall i had fun it reinforce my idea that the IGN note was a total farce .. While i see that the game is nothing like NG1 or NG2 ..it isn't a failure as it's still a cool action game. That said i agree that the moments where ryu is possessed by the arm ( and everything's slow )were annoying. It's abrupt and kill the decent flow it tries to get up to that point.

Overall it's a nice game .. i don't think it's that dumbed down in term of difficulty ... Dismembering people is gone ... and here i don't think i've missed it much in fact the game was still cool without it ...a proof ( for me ) that it wasn't that necessary in the first place..

I've played what seemed like a 7/10 ..more than enough to have fun even if the level design could have been improved ..but i've lost hope that they can do something great on that aspect of the game since NG2

HYDE

Banned
That said i agree that the moments where ryu is possessed by the arm ( and everything's slow )were annoying. It's abrupt and kill the decent flow it tries to get up to that point.

This reminds me of the Cortana shit in Halo 3, where the game stops and you hear her crying moaning or whatever. So annoying, and takes you out of the flow immediately...shitty game design idea.

Just finished my Master Ninja run. Got 2.39m karma and #1 on the leaderboard, but I'm sure that will be easy to beat once someone starts a MN run with the steel on bone knowledge that I previously posted.

Game's alright anyway, I'd give it a 6/10. It's like a less crappy Ninja Blade, but still an awful Ninja Gaiden. Guess I'll try out mission mode next.

I really hope more people start playing the missions. I have been having to wait a while to get people to join me for mentor missions. I have 2 more to go before I move up to legend, they have all been really well done so far.

Robot Pants

Well now I've seen everything. I was going through Legend trial #2, and one of the enemies just BLOCKED my UT, and then killed me.
Game has reached a new low.

Nope, you're not on it. There were only four other people listed when I cleared it, so I guess you need to use the online pass to register on the leaderboards.

And yeah, I figured there would be some type of scoring exploit since there pretty much always is in these action games. I think there's at least one or two areas that has infinitely respawning enemies as well (I farmed one for a few minutes before moving on).
Ah damn. I would have been 2nd. Oh well. I think I'd have to beat the entire Day 8 over again to upload my score. I wish you could upload it from the menu.

Robot Pants

Haha yep.

I have an online pass now, fuggit. I checked the leaderboards and its pretty funny how everyone on there (except for the last person) is using the NG2 Master Ninja gamerpic. I use it too haha.

If anyone wants to do some trials let me know. I'm good.
GT: PHANT0M LIMBS

MCD

If anything, we needed dismembering in here. At least we can tell when to use them instead of this random as fuck STEEL ON BONE.

Would help clear them fast too and adds a bit fun to this borefest arena gameplay.

raven777

Just finished the game on normal difficulty. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but not great either.

How are ninja trials/online modes?

Just finished the game on normal difficulty. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but not great either.

How are ninja trials/online modes?

Clan battles are kind of hectic and all over the place from what I could tell, I've only played a few matches. Co op trials are decent with a good partner, it can be fun at times I'll admit. I did run into an issue when an enemy disappeared and we had to restart. I'm not sure how often it happens.

raven777

Just tried few clan battles. It has some fun factor, but yea its hectic.

But yea, despite all the hate, I actually enjoyed the game. I will probably try Hard soon, and play around with online clan/coop modes.

So I made it up to legend 5 last night. The first 4 are not bad at all but the 5th one is crazy. I have no idea what to do about that thing you are supposed to fight. Has anyone beaten that trial yet? If so how do you do it? I tried staying back and hitting it with arrows but that didnt seem to do anything. If I try to go in close against it I get face full of fire and then it uses that huge dome of shock attack.

mocoworm

Eurogamer Ninja Gaiden 3 Review

4 / 10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-26-ninja-gaiden-3-review

"As a mindless action game, Ninja Gaiden 3 offers mild entertainment, although it lacks the humour and cheek of the equally QTE-heavy Ninja Blade, which is the better game for it. It's somewhat interesting that a big-ticket action game should drop all of the RPG-style character development clutter that is now so prevalent across the genre. But it's a gamble that fails to pay off, the core systems feeling sparse and underdeveloped, leaving the experience flat and repetitive. To the greatest question any player can ask of a game - why should I play you? - Ninja Gaiden 3 seems only able to reply: 'You're a ninja, duh.'"

.hacked

I love how easy the game is now. I know I am in the minority but I never liked how hard the 1st 2 games were.

Picked up the le Xbox 360 version yesterday, even with the poor reviews I figured I would annoy it and I am glad I did.

I'm at the third level (?) and I have to say this is a much better game than the garbage NG2 turned out to be. I haven't had any game breaking camera issues, projectile enemy bullshit, or slowdowns at the most inopportune times. Actually been enjoying myself with this one, which is a bit surprising. The narrative is just as bad as everything else in NG series though, for the most part. Of course, that doesn't matter much at all. I did laugh out loud seeing ryu riding in the jeep. Ninjas riding in the passenger seat no less...lol

Fun game so far.

Carbonox

I completed this on Saturday. Won't play again (whereas I'd definitely play Sigma 2 again due to it being a far superior game). I want to see how much CEX offer for trade-in, I think.

I'm not having much luck with 3rd entries in series lately. With the exception of Mass Effect 3 (which I love despite the end), the last ones I bought are Ninja Gaiden 3, Resistance 3 and Uncharted 3 - all were boring and shite to me, never to be touched again after one play-through.

Robot Pants

I'm at the third level (?) and I have to say this is a much better game than the garbage NG2 turned out to be. I haven't had any game breaking camera issues, projectile enemy bullshit, or slowdowns at the most inopportune times. Actually been enjoying myself with this one, which is a bit surprising. The narrative is just as bad as everything else in NG series though, for the most part. Of course, that doesn't matter much at all. I did laugh out loud seeing ryu riding in the jeep. Ninjas riding in the passenger seat no less...lol

Fun game so far.

Get out.
Also play on hard and master ninja and we will see about the no slowdown.

So I made it up to legend 5 last night. The first 4 are not bad at all but the 5th one is crazy. I have no idea what to do about that thing you are supposed to fight. Has anyone beaten that trial yet? If so how do you do it? I tried staying back and hitting it with arrows but that didnt seem to do anything. If I try to go in close against it I get face full of fire and then it uses that huge dome of shock attack.

If you have 360, lets CO-OP it. I need help on a few too. I was on the last 2 enemies of Leader 2 last night and my xbox froze.

d0c_zaius

Finally went back and completed NG3. It pretty much just slides into a cluster-f of nonsense.

Probably the worst last boss of any action game.

Fun game so far.

michaeljordanlol_1.gif

crazy-laugh-o.gif

Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif

Finally went back and completed NG3. It pretty much just slides into a cluster-f of nonsense.

Probably the worst last boss of any action game.

Worst last boss of any game I've played this gen.

Endo Punk

I hope NG can recover, with DMC on life support and Bayonetta not appealing to me I depend on NG as NGS2 is my favourite hack n slash game this gen. I cannot survive on GOW series alone and Revengeance doesn't have a release date.

kuroshiki

I hope NG can recover, with DMC on life support and Bayonetta not appealing to me I depend on NG as NGS2 is my favourite hack n slash game this gen. I cannot survive on GOW series alone and Revengeance doesn't have a release date.

Warriors Orochi 3 is your new friend.

Kayo-kun

Fun game so far.

You must live in some sort of an alternative universe since every single problem you brought up with NG2 actually exist in NG3. In my opinion, the mentioned issues are even worse in NG3.

DR2K

Banned
You know the initial reception for NG2 isn't all that different from what NG3 is getting now. Hmm. . . here's hoping for a bomba price collapse soon.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Warriors Orochi 3 is your new friend.
Off topic, but is that game any better than Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3? Because, good grief, that game was so terrible. Just completely mindless button mashing. I don't even think there was any AI.

You know the initial reception for NG2 isn't all that different from what NG3 is getting now. Hmm. . . here's hoping for a bomba price collapse soon.
The most negative review for NG2 says that it couldn't quite live up to the original. The most negative NG3 review says that it's a crime against humanity.

Kayo-kun

The only difference is that the reception is ten times worse. NG2 was never so badly received.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You know, reading all this made me go back and play Ninja Gaiden 2 again. And you know what? Screw the hate, and screw the bugs, issues, and boneheaded balance moments it has. Yes, it's essentially an un-tuned game due to its development troubles. But god damn is it fun.

Game is just pure crowd pleasing insanity.

Tadale

I beat it. If you didn't already know, it's really disappointing and not even worth a rental, I think.

Late game spoilers:

I love how the game is so limited in moves and weapons, and then proceeds to take away the bow near the end of the game.

Playing through NG2 on Master Ninja was a pretty great/memorable gaming experience for sure.

This is now the thread where we talk about the dire state of current action games. Save us Platinum Games.

You know, reading all this made me go back and play Ninja Gaiden 2 again. And you know what? Screw the hate, and screw the bugs, issues, and boneheaded balance moments it has. Yes, it's essentially an un-tuned game due to its development troubles. But god damn is it fun.

This x10 !

Tain

all this bullshit has kinda put me in the mood to get around to playing 1991 Ninja Gaiden 3.

Which brings me to the question: do I break my "buy Japanese versions of old console games" rule and get the tougher US release? Or do I go for the original?

mulling over this is more fun than playing 2012 Ninja Gaiden 3

i can't

what i bolded is unnacceptable for me ..i'd rather have mild staibility and good bugs/unbalance

all this bullshit has kinda put me in the mood to get around to playing 1991 Ninja Gaiden 3.

Which brings me to the question: do I break my "buy Japanese versions of old console games" rule and get the tougher US release? Or do I go for the original?

Tougher US version. Be a real man.

Then follow it up with USA Castlevania III.

Carbonox

I beat it. If you didn't already know, it's really disappointing and not even worth a rental, I think.

Late game spoilers:

I love how the game is so limited in moves and weapons, and then proceeds to take away the bow near the end of the game.

Their reasoning was probably that we spammed it so much that we needed to get down and dirty more with the sword...

Just throw that decision on the list of awful decisions made with this game.

Buy both then swap the PCBs, lol

Carbonox

I just remembered something during my first day with the game, on Hard mode and above, Ninja Gaiden 3 runs worse than Bayonetta PS3.

Despite all of Bayonetta's issues on the PS3, I never had any game-breaking issues with it. I was 100% in control every single time.

Ninja Gaiden 3 however on Hard and above? Shit lags like no tomorrow and is at times impossible to play, resulting in countless deaths. Fucking shocking.

Robot Pants

You must live in some sort of an alternative universe since every single problem you brought up with NG2 actually exist in NG3. In my opinion, the mentioned issues are even worse in NG3.

The camera is actually worse in NG3. It doesn't TURN, it seems to get stuck on walls or something. I even cranked it up to 70 before I even played the first level because of my experience with previous NG games. I can't imagine it on the default setting.
In some of the trials it sometimes get stuck in the close-up steel on bone view and I have to aim my bow to reset it.

Lunchbox

Banned

Fun game so far.

haha

nice joke post, almost got me bro

Skilletor

I think this game made every other NG much better. Kind of how Spidey 3 had the opposite effect on the franchise.

I went back to NG2 this weekend and played up to chapter 3. The genshin battle really showed me how much better NG2 was compared to the masked man battle in NG3.

NG3 is so bad.

Fun game so far.

Well, aside from having a completely opposite experience from you (I would also like to add to NG3's list of failure the horrible autotargeting), there's no projectile enemy bullshit up to the 3rd level of NG2, either.

The game is unplayable on Hard for me, but the framerate on Normal was okay. Too bad the rest of the game isn't.

Top Bottom