• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online Free to Play |OT| Boldly freeloading where others have subbed before

Dizzy-4U

This is not normal, is it?

qONNp.png

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This is not normal, is it?

I don't think so. I just finished downloading everything without any issues.

Turns out its still locked out until around noon though, but the lockout message doesn't come until you are patched up and in the client itself.

glaurung

The servers are getting hammered, big time, you should expect issues.

Try again in a few hours or wait two weeks until the first horde has passed the game over.

Walshicus

I was under the impression that fans didn't even like that species. I also didn't mean to imply that Voyager had nothing compelling to offer, just very little.

The species was okay - it was just the pussy-fication that some of the later episodes did to them that was offensive. Just like the Borg. They're used quite well in the game itself.

My girlfriend and I are going out stargazing with Brian Cox tonight but I'll probably be on about 22:00 English time. Will be happy to lend a hand with a Tier 5 Sovereign or D'Kyr science vessel.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If it's any consolation, SWTOR is much more WoW-like than STO so STO will be a more different experience if you played WoW before.

STO is pretty great, particularly the lore and spaceship combat. I recommend you play STO instead until SWTOR goes F2P inevitably.

Actually this would be my first MMO. Wasn't really that interested in them until my two favorite franchises jumped on board. You can probably tell from my avatar that Star Wars is my choice of the two, but Star Wars has plenty of good non-MMO games to play. Star Trek only really has the couple of point and click adventure games worth playing if that.

I'm hearing in this topic that it doesn't have the best start. How long does it take to start getting good then?

SLV

Oh no... why does it have to use that malware shit pando media browser >.< Always eats up all of my upload speed if i forget to kill it in the task manager

Walshicus

Actually this would be my first MMO. Wasn't really that interested in them until my two favorite franchises jumped on board. You can probably tell from my avatar that Star Wars is my choice of the two, but Star Wars has plenty of good non-MMO games to play. Star Trek only really has the couple of point and click adventure games worth playing if that.

I'm hearing in this topic that it doesn't have the best start. How long does it take to start getting good then?

They re-did a lot of the starting missions quite recently and rebalanced the first ten levels or so. Should be much better now.

Aside from toying around with FFXI on the 360, ST:O was my first MMO too. I've been levelling a character in The Old Republic since launch though, so I don't think it's overkill to play both!

EDIT: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=3952410#post3952410
Enjoy!

RPGCrazied

Aww. I woke up early, thinking I'd be able to get an early start today. I guess we can't start playing until 10:00 PST, 12 my time. ;/

The game doesn't really change much from it's start. You get access to more abilities and better stuff as you level up. There is one main story that you play throughout the game that continually pushes you forward. Some of the later content they added to the game really is much better and you start getting access to that fairly early on though there is only a few of these content episodes spaced out throughout the leveling experience. Some of the main story missions features some cool story elements that will please a Trek fan.

Oh no... why does it have to use that malware shit pando media browser >.< Always eats up all of my upload speed if i forget to kill it in the task manager

You should be able to delete Pando and still play/update the game normally. Most games that use it work fine if you delete it

Walshicus

A note on how Featured Episodes work.

• Each series is five episodes long
  • Released weekly
  • Are initially available to all who meet the level requirements (lvl 6 or higher in the past)
  • Have a number of unique rewards
  • Come with a bonus reward for completing all five episodes within the initial series run
  • After the initial run will be worked into the main story progression
  • Typically have sub-objectives which require you be a certain department to progress - "accolades" given for completing them all by having a party with at least one of each department

So far there have been three:
Cold Front - involves Breen and Deferi
The Devidians - involves the Devidians and time travel
Cloaked Intentions - involves Romulans and Remans

The next series hasn't been named yet, though the first episode is titled "Second Wave"; we *do* know it will take place in the Cardassian sectors, involves DS9, the Defiant and the Jem Hadar, comes with a new Bajoran social zone and *might* involve either travel to the Gamma Quadrant in a mission or the opening up of a sectory block there. It'll be released end of February / early March.

Nice. And it just warps you there?

No you have to travel to where the quest is. You are generally given the quest from anywhere and are directed to go somewhere to actually play through it. Unlike many other MMOs, you don't have to really find the quests, you are basically given them while some places you go to will have side quests that you will find in the area from npcs

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, Starfleet will send you lots of quests while you're cruising around in space and you can choose which ones to set a course for, and if they take place on one of the larger hub areas there will often be NPCs with smaller quests.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Why is this shit not on Steam yet?!

Because F2P hasn't officially launched?

I would definitely expect it to show up on Steam, since it's a Perfect World game now, the original game had a Steam version, and PW has put up a couple of its F2P games on Steam already.

Jomjom

Banned
100% true, though it's a few decades past any of the shows, so you don't tend to run into the actual characters THAT often.

The game takes place in the original timeline, showing what happens after the Hobus supernova and Spock's disappearance.

The Path to 2409

OMG yes! This game could be the most boring game to play and I would still play it after your post.

Askani

I forgot about this when I came home this morning to get ready for work. Gonna pop back by on my lunch break and start my download so it will (hopefully) be finished when I get off work this evening.

Shouta

I've created my character and I'm in. Been wanting to try this again since Open beta but didn't want to sub.

Jomjom

Banned
I love how STO is picking up the story right from the end of the TV shows and movies, unlike SW:TOR which is who knows how many thousands of years before the SW movies and basically has little to no continuity with what happens in the movies.

I love how STO is picking up the story right from the end of the TV shows and movies, unlike SW:TOR which is who knows how many thousands of years before the SW movies and basically has little to no continuity with what happens in the movies.

I actually prefer the latter approach. More creative freedom.

RPGCrazied

I like it, still in the tutorial. One thing. The graphics. Even at max settings, 1920x1080, it still looks jagged. Looks like a grain filter or something. Also, you can't pick the bad guys until level 25 with a federation character?

Help?

I like it, still in the tutorial. One thing. The graphics. Even at max settings, 1920x1080, it still looks jagged. Looks like a grain filter or something. Also, you can't pick the bad guys until level 25 with a federation character?

Help?

Klingons players have it pretty rough in this game.

Top Bottom