• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online Free to Play |OT| Boldly freeloading where others have subbed before

Walshicus

Image1.png

Image2.png

Image3.png

Image3B.png

Image4.png

Image5.png

Image6.png

Image7.png

Image8.png

Image8B.png

Image9.png

Image10.png

Image11.png

Image12.png

Image13.png

Walshicus

Hope this OP works for everyone! To clarify, this is going Free to Play for everyone on the 17th of January, however if you've subscribed in the past you'll have early access already.

The Federation fleet is titled "GAFleet".
The Klingon fleet is titled "Imperial Raiders" - we've 'merged' with a pre-existing non-GAF fleet that has similar activity levels.

Also to be included soon: Klingon faction play is unlocked once you get a Federation character to level 25.

Player List - please include reference to NeoGaf or something if you're going to add! I'll try and keep this updated.
E'Sel@Walshicus - Me, Sir Fragula
Furyo Dantex@Sickboy007 - Sickboy007
Cyan@Maxrpg - MaxRPG
Shouta@Shouta - Shouta
Medalion@Medalion - Medalion
Tamer@Livefeed (or) Livefeed@Tamer - Facism
Bolt Vanderhuge@shomakkaa - Shomakkaa
Zierkka@Zierkka - Davepoobound
Jommi@jdizzle220 - jling84
Sudok@kamenridergold - Kamensenshi
Realmeat@realmeat - provo57
Dagnarus@Scythozan - RPGCrazied
Alix@The_Technomancer - The Technomancer
Mgurk@resnarf - rezbit
Min'Chul@Zzoram - ZZoram
Askani@Guyver000003 -
Saayli@HobocidalManiac - Billychu

WillyFive

Alright!

Other than the high PC requirements (which are negligible if you have a good PC), I thought this game was great.

Walshicus

I really want to emphasise that there's a lot of really good material in the UGC "Foundry" area of the game. Plus, the tools to create missions are pretty easy to use. I'll happily update the OP with recommendations and Gaf-created missions. :)

EDIT: Also, no Mac version I'm afraid.

RPGCrazied

I might do the GAF guild, want to see how the game runs first. Though with my computer I should be able to max the game, or close.

Also, not real fond of klingons. Doubt it, but can you be another race and be on the klingons side?

dalin80

Banned
May play again now, was a subscriber until their payment service decided it didnt like my card out of the blue and cancelled my account.

Walshicus

Also, not real fond of klingons. Doubt it, but can you be another race and be on the klingons side?

Yes!

The background story to the game has the Klingon Empire conquering the Gorn and incorporating the Orion Syndicate, Nausicaans and Lethians into the Empire. You can pick any of those species, plus you have access to the create-your-own "Alien" choice.

The Gorn, Orions and Nausicaans all have their own ships you can fly for The Empire - most are C-Store purchases, but I believe some are offered free at higher levels.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Any alternate way to download the client? This "StarTrek Downloader" transfer going at 56k/sec won't do it.

Also, since I was in the Beta, it seems I already have access to the Free 2 Play shennanigans. Maybe I shouldn't have deleted the client I downloaded in November when preparing for the F2P status...

RPGCrazied

Kay. If I get on that side, that's who I'll be playing as. I like my characters to be close to human and or elvish looking as much as possible in my MMO's. :p Can you not be Vulcans?

Walshicus

Kay. If I get on that side, that's who I'll be playing as. I like my characters to be close to human and or elvish looking as much as possible in my MMO's. :p Can you not be Vulcans?

Only if you're Federation.

You can make an "alien" character for either faction with a tonne of customisation options; but they always show as "alien" rather than "Vulcan" or "Bajoran" etc when you look at people's profile.

hitoshi

Any alternate way to download the client? This "StarTrek Downloader" transfer going at 56k/sec won't do it.

Also, since I was in the Beta, it seems I already have access to the Free 2 Play shennanigans. Maybe I shouldn't have deleted the client I downloaded in November when preparing for the F2P status...

Let it sit. I started the download five minutes ago and the speed is constantly going up: I am currently downloading with 800.

Just finished downloading, patcher works like a charm, it downloads at full speed, I got the 430 update in 2 minutes. 120GB Cable Network YAAY

Walshicus

You can be an Orion male. I think Klingons are unable to make Gorn, Lethean and Nausicaan females (IP reasons if I recall), but Orion males are fine.

Federation gets:
Andorian,
Bajoran
Benzite
Betazoid
Bolian
Caitian (C-Store)
Ferengi
Human
Klingon (C-Store)
Pakled
Rigellian
Saurian
Trill
Tellarite
Vulcan

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I love this game so much. I don't know why. I haven't played it in over a year. I think its janky around the edges, the core gameplay has issues, ship combat can be repetitious and early quest design isn't very good.

But I just love this game. I can't wait to jump back in.

hitoshi

I love this game so much. I don't know why. I haven't played it in over a year. I think its janky around the edges, the core gameplay has issues, ship combat can be repetitious and early quest design isn't very good.

But I just love this game. I can't wait to jump back in.

I have read the minimum sytem requirements but I am not sure my laptop can run it. Can somebody help me? My PC:

Intel i3 2,27 GhZ
3GB RAM
Ati Mobility Radeon HD 5470 512 MB
Windows 7 64 bit

RPGCrazied

So reading through different forums, a lot of people bitch about the game having not much content. I understand the foundry has user created stuff you can play through, but does the game itself not have that much to go through?

Won

About time F2P arrives. Liked what I saw during the first month, but it wasn't worth the standard MMO fee for me.

Walshicus

So reading through different forums, a lot of people bitch about the game having not much content. I understand the foundry has user created stuff you can play through, but does the game itself not have that much to go through?

There's enough to keep you going for quite a while, and the PvP is one of the game's strongest suits. That said, yes there has been a bit of a content drought for the last few months that have soured some opinions. The explanation given was the financial uncertainty following Atari's sale of Cryptic to Perfect World, and to be entirely fair there *has* been a jump in the amount of content provided following their sale.

We've had the Borg Invasion events (including the biggest ground map in the game), a wholescale revamp of Special Task Force missions, Duty Officer content and the Holiday Event.

In late February/March they're releasing the next Feature Episode series which expands the storyline with regard the Dominion (basically it's a "sequel" to the DS9 episode which saw the prophets disappear a Dominion fleet in the wormhole). There'll be another feature series probably dealing with the Tholians a few months afterward. At the same time they're actively building new Klingon faction missions to bring them into line with the Federation.

*If* they keep to the content schedule they've hinted at, with new PvP maps, new STF missions, Feature Episodes, Foundry tool updates and events... well, I'm sure things will be okay.

But if not, just do what I did for a while and use the game for it's PvP aspect.

RPGCrazied

Whats the max level? As long as the game has quests to do, I'll be fine. Surely it will take me awhile to go through it all.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Well in the base game (before they added whatever they've added with content patches) I hit max level and finished every single piece of content in the first 3 weeks of the free month, only playing maybe 2 hours a night.

So unless they've added a ton of stuff, then no there isn't much content.

Walshicus

Well in the base game (before they added whatever they've added with content patches) I hit max level and finished every single piece of content in the first 3 weeks of the free month, only playing maybe 2 hours a night.

So unless they've added a ton of stuff, then no there isn't much content.

I know I keep banging on about it, but it's really worth factoring in the UGC element here. Hundreds perhaps thousands of missions to run through, a good portion of which are better than the launch tranche of missions. I'll try and update this thread every week or so with a couple of the best.

EDIT: Oh, and the Duty Officer mini-game is a pretty good consumer of time. There are a lot of buffs available there.

I played this in beta and was quite fond of it actually. If there is going to be some GAF guild I might give it another shot since it's free and all.

Great OP!
I hopped back yesterday, and was quite shocked with all the new content. I'm still reacquainting myself with all the different systems and i'm pretty sure i'll have to respec sooner or later.

EDIT: Oh, and the Duty Officer mini-game is a pretty good consumer of time. There are a lot of buffs available there.

I see there are some officers that are "bound" when you put them on active duty, do you lose them if you remove them?

Walshicus

how many servers are there? where is the gaf guild at? or is it not made yet?

One server - the game uses instances if too many people are in the same place. There *was* a Gaf Fleet (guild), but I don't believe the admins of it are still playing, so I'm hoping we can reform it on Tuesday when everyone is playing?

If you're playing now, feel free to post your character and handle name (mine is E'Sel@Walshicus, or perhaps it renders as ESel@Walshicus...) and I'll add it to the list in the second post.

I see there are some officers that are "bound" when you put them on active duty, do you lose them if you remove them?
Only if you dismiss them. If you just take them off of your active duty roster and put them in reserve they'll still be there.

Want a challenge? See if you can get hold of a Xindi Aquatic Duty Officer (DOFF). ;)

Walshicus

So how exactly do the ship unlocks work with F2P? As compared to subscription players?

Hm, you buy the standard Tier 1, 2 etc. ships with Dilithium. Each time you rank up (every ten levels) you should be given a small stipend of Dilithium, and you can earn it through in-game methods. I think for the first few ranks you have enough Dilithium to purchase a ship at the next tier. When you get a bit higher up though, you have to save up.

The in-game ship purchases are character-specific.

If you buy a ship in the C-Store, you get an account-wide unlock, which means you can use that stipend of Dilithium to buy gear etc.

Subscribers get tokens for ships at higher levels.

There's added incentive to buy some of the lower-level ships too; even though you probably won't be PvPing in them at level 50, they tend to come with console items which provide unique bonuses or powers. None of them are *overpowered* really, but they can enhance particular builds.

There's an in-game Dilithium to C-Points marketplace, and subscribers get a monthly C-Points stipend. So in theory you could grind for Dilithium, trade for C-Points and then buy everything in the C-Store. If you had enough time. Oh, and you can only refine 8,000 dilithium per day - when you earn Dilithium it's in an Ore form.

Not right now, but it'll be back up on Steam on the 17th when it switches to F2P.

I do recall the game have a bit too many loading screens for my taste. Has any of the stuff been streamlined? I remember reading dx11 patch was recently (mmos with dx11??? crazyness). It does seem like they are slowly getting their stuff together. Good for them!

Only if you dismiss them. If you just take them off of your active duty roster and put them in reserve they'll still be there.

Want a challenge? See if you can get hold of a Xindi Aquatic Duty Officer (DOFF). ;)

Lol he will be mine!

My handle is Furyo Dantex@Sickboy007.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I've never played an MMO game before; Star Trek Online is one of the few that I've considered trying. What is your character's actual role in relation to other characters? Can you be "promoted" similar in concept to the way that it is handled on the show?

Walshicus

I've never played an MMO game before; Star Trek Online is one of the few that I've considered trying. What is your character's actual role in relation to other characters? Can you be "promoted" similar in concept to the way that it is handled on the show?

Level 1 you're an Ensign, level 2 to 9 you're a Lieutenant, 10 to 19 Lieutenant Commander, 20 to 29 Commander, 30 to 39 Captain, 40 to 44 Rear Admiral Lower, 45 to 49 Rear Admiral Upper, 50 Vice Admiral.

One of the things we've most 'complained' about since launch is that everyone's an Admiral at 3/4 of the way through. A lot of people have been pushing for the highest rank to be Captain and for Admiral/Commodore to be reserved for Fleet leaders.

They've simplified how ranks and levels are displayed now - previously you'd have Captain 3 or Commander 6; now you have Captain 33, Commander 26. I'm certainly hoping that's a step toward them detaching rank from level (and maxing at Captain).

Top Bottom