• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NZ GAF $199 Wii U Premium available

Moonkid

Couple years ago I would have been all over this, but now I think I'd rather get a Switch down the line. That's a super good deal though and it's not everyday NZ-deals are posted so thanks anyway OP!

$200 for a dead console is a super good deal? I think not.

EB Aus has trade a Wii U Premium for a $309 Switch I think, which isn't too bad. I'd be tempted if I had a Premium instead of a base Wii U (which was $175 AUS brand new in 2014)

EB Aus has trade a Wii U Premium for a $309 Switch I think, which isn't too bad. I'd be tempted if I had a Premium instead of a base Wii U (which was $175 AUS brand new in 2014)
Well, they aren't making them anymore and they never got a steep discount, so I dunno about the local market values in Australia but $200 for a Wii U in USD is a pretty reasonable asking price especially if new or gently used.

catmincer

Considering the normal RRP before clearouts were closer to $500 I'd consider 60% off a damn good deal.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
2539362-ryan+burns+cash.gif

Burn that money..

ZeroX03

Banned

Considering the console hasn't really seen big price cuts and that's cheaper than you'll find it used, that's a very good deal.

The deals on the base Wii Us were for a short time clearance, and I don't believe particularly common in NZ. They were bigger in AUS/UK.

Etria

Thanks for the heads up, catmincer! :)
I would have jumped on this but already have one. It's a console with great games for those on the fence, some of which will likely not be ported to the Switch.

Well, they aren't making them anymore and they never got a steep discount, so I dunno about the local market values in Australia but $200 for a Wii U in USD is a pretty reasonable asking price especially if new or gently used.

I just remember being able to waltz into Cash Convertors and pick up a Gamecube for $50 in 2005. Just seems like a crazy price considering the console.

SURGEdude

Before people throw off the Wii U based on Switch deluxe editions, remember this console can be easily made to run able to run 99% of all GC and Wii games off of HDD. There is no better BC console and it's super reliable so it should last for a long time.

I remember when Dick Smith NZ were clearing out Wii U's for $149-$199NZD back in 2013. Like 7 months after launch, that was crazy.

RIP Dick Smith.

Dingotech

I remember when Dick Smith NZ were clearing out Wii U's for $149-$199NZD back in 2013. Like 7 months after launch, that was crazy.

RIP Dick Smith.

That happened in Australia as well, it's how I got my WiiU.

I think I got it for $179AU, and a pro contrroller for $29.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm too wary about bricking my Wii U to hack it but I definitely love the damn thing. I have something like 50 retail games and there's still a few left for me to track down.

Great deal for a super useful console.

All the awesome Wii U + Wii games + so much homebrew stuff. I got mine at launch for full price and I still loved it.

If you have even a slight interest grab it before it's gone for good brand new.

Regiruler

Thing is still a much better console currently than the switch, provided your attention span can withstand a little bit of patience.

Before people throw off the Wii U based on Switch deluxe editions, remember this console can be easily made to run able to run 99% of all GC and Wii games off of HDD. There is no better BC console and it's super reliable so it should last for a long time.

Actually that's a pretty good point. 3 generations of games running natively on one tidy machine is nothing to be sneezed at. It will be rough going if your gamepad breaks though right?

SURGEdude

I'm too wary about bricking my Wii U to jack it but I definitely love the damn thing. I have something like 50 retail games and there's still a few left for me to track down.

I can respect that. But for what it's worth most of the exploits worth a shit don't require anything more than a softmod that doesn't seem able to brick a console. I've only gone far enough to be able to load GC and Wii games off a drive and use my USB GC connectors fully. It's phenomenal, and lets me not need to keep a GC and Wii connected to the very few analogue ports I have.

Actually that's a pretty good point. 3 generations of games running natively on one tidy machine is nothing to be sneezed at. It will be rough going if your gamepad breaks though right?

Yes. But the major issue seems to be the battery going to hell. I suspect those will be sourceable well past the date that some clever person figures out a workaround. Until that date I make sure to follow good battery hygiene.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

I'm sure Nintendo will be repairing Gamepads for years to come and of course third-party parts will be readily available.

Until they port The Wonderful 101 and Bayo 2 to Switch, a Wii U is still worth having, not to mention the Wii and Gamecube backwards compatibility. Three Nintendo generations in one box.

Top Bottom