• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Eternals (Dyack) kickstarter ends prematurely

Weekend Confirmed is about to get super-awkward...
I can't wait.
Important note: They say they're taking it down because there are new elements to the project that will let them retool the pitch and put it up again in a few weeks' time. Clearly they understand the pitch, as envisioned, is just not working, and want to reframe it.
Will be interesting to see if Republique made the smart move by sticking it, rather than starting from $0 with a new pitch. I think this is going to be an incredibly tough sell.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I know everyone hates Dyack, but I love Eternal Darkness. Hope they still make this "sequel" even with a failed Kickstarter, now or later.

Kick out Dyack = Reputation of the dev increased by 1000%.

Marcel

I know everyone hates Dyack, but I love Eternal Darkness. Hope they still make this "sequel" even with a failed Kickstarter, now or later.

I like ED as well, but firing Dyack is the only way I'll support it. Pay him for his ideas, credit him as a consultant and shitcan him.

I'm really confused about this.

2,401 Backers and $127,414 pledged of $1,350,000 goal.

They still have weeks to go and they were almost 100% funded.

Edit: Oops I'm dumb.

JDSN

Banned
No surprises, as much as I wanted them to make it, people were rightfully wary of them and their bullshit initial TOS and ignoring their pasts shitstorms didnt help at all.

grumpy

At this point I would settle for a Wii U / 3DS port of Eternal Darkness...
I don't have a GC or a BC Wii anymore :(

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
welll from rumors ive heard MS has given them support to do xbox exclusive of this so that could be why its cancelled

hatchx

Banned
After blunder after blunder, they really shouldn't be attempting such an ambitious project. They are biting off way more than they can chew imo.

I don't have any faith in Dyack or his six-man team whatsoever. 1.2 million for an episode was it? Goddamn, that episode might only be 4-5 minutes long.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oh, to live in a world where you're convinced everyone is wrong but you. Glad people didn't buy into this.

You think this failed because people didn't buy into Dyack? Heh, only a small group on GAF has hatred for the guy. The problem lies more with Eternal Darkness being a niche game on a Nintendo system 10+ years ago.

SMZC

I will not have problem if Nintendo does a sequel or Precursor says no to Dyack.

As good as a Nintendo-made sequel could be on its own merits, it just wouldn't be the same without Silicon Knights/Precursor Games.

I hope this project sees the light of day someday. These guys deserve a second chance. Yes, Dyack included.

Beth Cyra

welll from rumors ive heard MS has given them support to do xbox exclusive of this so that could be why its cancelled

The same Microsoft that was burned by Too Human, is going to give these guys money to do a Spirtual sequel to a brand Micro can't even use to help promote this, and on top of that is only Niche and didn't even perform very well in the first place.

Yeah, I totally buy that.

Dipswitch

I think the risk/reward ratio was too off kilter for most folks (myself included). It seemed like $1.5 Million dollars was needed to fund the first episode, then they were going to rely on sales of that to fund the other episodes.

I don't think that amount they were asking for was wholly unreasonable, considering they were going to use it to fund engine licensing costs, etc, that would be used in the production of the other episodes. However, I had little confidence in their approach to funding the remaining episodes, leading me to believe backers would get the first and maybe second episode and then find out they couldn't raise enough funds to make the rest.

I'm hoping they can come back with a stronger pitch and a more reassuring funding model for their next stab at it.

MrValtor

Banned
Should have asked Nintendo in the first place. They would have given them some money or helped them out with development.

Xyphie

Relaunch with $1 goal incoming with a "We keep the money if it's not enough to fund the game" disclaimer.

Beth Cyra

Should have asked Nintendo in the first place. They would have given them some money or helped them out with development.

They likely did.

And probably not. As it stands SK had already pitched Nintendo on ED2, and for whatever reason it didn't go through.

6 people doing this, and with Cry Engine 3 would make any Publisher catious, let alone Nintendo.

v1oz

As good as a Nintendo-made sequel could be on its own merits, it just wouldn't be the same without Silicon Knights/Precursor Games.

I hope this project sees the light of day someday. These guys deserve a second chance. Yes, Dyack included.

To be fair the only reason the first game was any good was because of Nintendo's strict project management and hardcore work ethic. The proof is in the fact that none of SK's other games were quite as endearing or polished.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
You know, this whole situation sucks :-( I would be interested in a sequel to ED, but there's so much fucked up baggage in the way it will probably never happen now unless Nintendo does it on their own.

Probably our best hope at this juncture, I guess.

If they get rid of Dyack and make it public that he is no longer associated with the project and the company, only then will they have a chance at making this succeed. Anything that he ends up getting associated with, will be followed by his negative notoriety. He should leave the business and go sell used cars or something.

Marcel

To be fair the only reason the first game was any good was because of Nintendo's strict project management and hardcore work ethic. The proof is in the fact that none of SK's other games were quite as endearing or polished.

Bingo.

Top Bottom