• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Eternals (Dyack) kickstarter ends prematurely

Gestault

If they get rid of Dyack and make it public that he is no longer associated with the project and the company, only then will they have a chance at making this succeed. Anything that he ends up getting associated with, will be followed by his negative notoriety. He should leave the business and go sell used cars or something.

Utterly agree, both personally and what I think would be best for the project.

Im almost starting to feel bad for him. But, I dont think I am quite there yet. There is something to feel bad about someone who has been basically run out of the industry. Then again the rumor of him using funds from xmen to pay for this doesn't help me sympathize much.

jett

D-Member
Are they going to sue Crytek now?

oooh.gif

Dyack or not, nothing Precursor has shown so far on this inspires confidence it would live up to ED (including the inability to revisit most/all of the concepts and characters in ED). Pulling a retool of the pitch after such a prolonged and disorganized effort to defend themselves against obvious and warranted critiques surely won't help the project's image either. Iwata/Retro save us!

Heyt

Banned
They were asking for too much and they were people with really bad reputation not only managing their funds but also delivering quality games.

At this point I don't think even a new and more realistic budget on the relaunch would help this studio at all.

1-D_FTW

They'd better relaunch with a more realistic funding target.

Considering their notorious inefficiency, 1.35 million is why I thought they'd never complete it. I don't know how even less would make it more realistic. More realistic to fund, maybe, but not complete the project.

Bedlam

Weekend Confirmed is about to get super-awkward...
Yup. Way more than usual. That's going to be an interesting episode. Can't wait for more "things were going too good, so we decided to end the campaign" spin. lol

Sweet my account been approved! Yay! Been lurking here for quite a while. Now its time to start posting and here seem as good a place as any.

Can't say I feel bad for Dyack or anyone at precursor, even if all the allegations in that kotaku article were false as Dyack claims in that video he posted, the hard facts of Too Human and XMen speak volumes about the talent left there and the work they are capable of producing.

I feel bad for Denis Dyack but I certainly understand people's reticence to support this project. The recent track record isn't that good.

Taker666

They should talk to Nintendo about porting the original Eternal Darkness to the 3DS and then hope for more (they could re-use the engine for a low budget sequel).

A $1.5 million kickstarter for 1 episode is crazy. Ambition is fine but don't try to fly to the moon before you've even mastered walking.

SMZC

Second chance, yes. Are you familiar with their series of recent projects?

Yeah. I'm not justifying some of the stuff that they pulled off. Still, they seem committed to delivering the best product they can make, and the rumors going around back during Silicon Knight's demise pointed out precisely to how seriously they were taking the development of Eternal Darkness 2. Not that this justifies dubiously deviating funding towards this game from other projects, but still, I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt this time around. And Denis Dyack's philosophy towards game development has always been one I could agree with.

To be fair the only reason the first game was any good was because of Nintendo's strict project management and hardcore work ethic. The proof is in the fact that none of SK's other games were quite as endearing or polished.

I don't doubt that Eternal Darkness ended up being a better game due to Nintendo than it would have otherwise been, but still, I don't think many people liked the game because of the gameplay. In that regard, Eternal Darkness was mediocre, at best. What made it so appealing was the narrative, the atmosphere, the historical settings, etc; and when it comes to those areas, I very much doubt Nintendo had any involvement whatsoever. Their contributions were most likely limited to gameplay.

Morthas

Neo Member
I kinda feel sorry for the team. All they want to do is to make a spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness. It's not like that rich woman that used Kickstarter to get even more money.

Freki

Maybe potential backers were afraid of Dyack suing them?

But in all seriousness - in my opinion the inclusion of Dyack in the team really hurt them.

After Too Human and X-men Destiny, I think people are right to be cautious. That's not a good track record for getting things done on time / not overbudget.

Strangely enough, this is actually the one Kickstarter I thought about backing. A Shame. Dyack on Gamers with Jobs was a good listen, and I liked where they were going with an opening scenario. I was going to wait for more info on Weekend Confirmed. I didn't even care if the game even got made, I wanted to see where the scenario might have gone.

I never even liked eternal darkness from what I played.

xandaca

The only way they can redeem this now is if they announce they've been fully funded by a publisher (preferably Nintendo) or something. Starting yet another crowdfunding campaign will only extend and deepen the indignity of this project's death. If people were suspicious of Precursor to begin with, their mishandling of this affair will only confirm all the worst suspicions. Shame, as I wouldn't have minded an ED sequel*.

*Not to say I'd crowdfund one, but I'd certainly consider buying a finished release.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I kinda feel sorry for the team. All they want to do is to make a spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness. It's not like that rich woman that used Kickstarter to get even more money.

Wrong. It is worse than that because one of the developers insulted NeoGAF as a forum once.

Apparently.

All this pundit conspiracy theory about "can they make the game?" and "do I trust Dyack?" means nothing when people back inXile right after Hunted: The Demon's Forge, or Double Fine for a second time before the product of their first Kickstarter even comes out (after the runaway success of Brutal Legend and... The Cave? Stacking?), or numerous other examples.

Whatever. I wanted this game too, but people had grudges to air and axes to grind.

Cue protestations of impartiality....

As hilarious as these jokes always are, let's not do this.

No I think you should just have to endure the high-class interaction that you have encouraged here. Why stop? It's HILARIOUS!

Wrong. It is worse than that because one of the developers insulted NeoGAF as a forum once.

Apparently.

All this pundit conspiracy theory about "can they make the game?" and "do I trust Dyack?" means nothing when people back inXile right after Hunted: The Demon's Forge, or Double Fine for a second time before the product of their first Kickstarter even comes out (after the runaway success of Brutal Legend and... The Cave? Stacking?), or numerous other examples.

Whatever. I wanted this game too, but people had grudges to air and axes to grind.

This is being slightly disingenuous. Even without the NeoGAF misstep, Dyack has shown that he is not to be trusted. Normally you don't have run-ins with the law when you're doing everything on the up-and-up. The others may have had games of dubious quality, but they weren't ordered to destroy all copies by a court.

Nosgod

Banned

Apparently.

Yep, it's become so sad that people are now gleefully overjoyed when a creative and unique project seemingly fails because someone they do not like works on it, ignore anyone else who worked there of course.

Oh and you forgot to include Star Citizen's Chris Roberts in the list of people who can be given a second chance, after his fallout with Point of No Return and his Direction of the Wing Commander film.

EDIT: Though it'll be funny if they set a lower goal, then make their money through stretches

Beth Cyra

Apparently.

No I think you should just have to endure the high-class interaction that you have encouraged here. Why stop? It's HILARIOUS!
Meltdowns over this? Really?

Well I guess we all have things we hold dear I suppose.

Doomshine

Man I haven't been paying attention to this all, when did it become a proper Kickstarter and not their own weird crowdfunding?

Kusagari

I think people, on both sides, vastly overestimate the importance of Dyack in this failing.

Eternal Darkness simply isn't as beloved a game as people act like. And it's certainly no Wasteland or Shadowrun.

RPGCrazied

I knew this wouldn't make it. If it comes back I hope they have a much lower goal. I'd say $500k would be enough for one episode.

"Since we announced this Kickstarter campaign we have seen more support from our community than we had ever hoped for. "
"$127,041 pledged of $1,350,000 goal"

Huh. They expected to get less than 10% of their goal?

I absolutely loved Brütal Legend (own it in three platforms, even), and enjoyed Stacking, Trenched and Costume Quest a lot; they also got consistently good reviews. What's exactly your point?

wrowa

Apparently.

Your saltiness is annoying. In contrast to Precursor both Double Fine and inXile proposed reasonably sized projects. They didn't have the dumb idea to use an expensive high-end engine to make a friggin' 12 episode long game. 12 episodes, that's crazy. Even Telltale, the king of episodic games, doesn't risk long seasons like that, because the people there know that it's too dangerous that players will stop being interested half-way through. To make matters worse, Precursor asked for 1.5 million just for the first episode alone -- that's more than Double Fine and inXile asked for their whole projects. Everyone who's not completely out of touch with reality knows that people will be wary of an overly ambitious game like that.

Top Bottom