• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Club: Super Mario World: Complete goals to earn stamps! (Oct 1st - 15th)

Since this doesn't HAVE to be done on the SNES Classic, can people be recognized for both International and Japanese game achievements? I specifically have the Earthbound/Fire Emblem 3 segment in mind, I enjoy both games and would love to be able to try to complete whatever challenges you have in store for both.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Since this doesn't HAVE to be done on the SNES Classic, can people be recognized for both International and Japanese game achievements? I specifically have the Earthbound/Fire Emblem 3 segment in mind, I enjoy both games and would love to be able to try to complete whatever challenges you have in store for both.

From the OP:
On October 16th, we move on to Super Punch-Out!! (Super Soccer for SFC Classic owners)

Rest assured I will be doing alternate challenges for anyone who wants to do the SFC games. :)

From the OP:

Rest assured I will be doing alternate challenges for anyone who wants to do the SFC games. :)
Right, I'm asking if we will be able to get credit for doing BOTH challenges (IE both the Super Punch-Out AND Super Soccer challenges in the case of the next event).

Trying to level up my Super Punch Out game (from zero).

I am terrible at this game.

On reflection I was pretty bad at Punch Out on the NES back in the day.

#morton
#luigi
#goomba

Never had done the orb glitch until now

6LhDV

9OA8R

Sorry for the dark image

For some reason my images aren't showing though :(

Also how do I see my passport?

I was doing the same last night. I have never played any Punch-Out game, and only had a very vague idea of what happens in the game. I was able to get through the old guy and the bear hugger, but Piston is tripping me up. I can get a few hits on him, but then he does his special (I guess it's his special?) and does a flurry of punches until I get knocked out. This is gonna take me a while to get the hang of!!

#morton
#luigi
#goomba

Never had done the orb glitch until now

q2w41zV.jpg

PjNfs7C.jpg

Sorry for the dark image

For some reason my images aren't showing though :(

Also how do I see my passport?
Don't copy the url from the address bar, instead right-click and Copy link address.

Also, your passport will be PM'd to you. The bot scans the thread every few minutes, so it may take a bit.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Right, I'm asking if we will be able to get credit for doing BOTH challenges (IE both the Super Punch-Out AND Super Soccer challenges in the case of the next event).

Yep -- I haven't figured out what will happen if you end up with more than 63/63 challenges yet, but for now you'll be able to submit both.

Skyless

Neo Member

Same. Piston took me a while but then I realized you could parry his punches (well besides his uppercut). Last fight of minor circuit still gives me trouble. I'm so bad at this game.

KeRaSh

Can't wait for the ALttP challenge!
Might try to get the Orb Glitch if I'm bored but not in the mood for it right now.

This took me about 45 minutes to get the orb, over the course of two sessions. The 2nd session was more fruitful, after I saw a video that pulled off the glitch in a way I was able to slightly easier replicate than the notable one in the OP (it's in the same location, I just used a slightly different Mario and Rex placement to grab the coin). Used the orb in Stage 2-2, and I played through to the star road in Vanilla Dome and shortcutted to the Front Gate from there.

I'm not really into glitching games out over normal play, but that was surprisingly fun to pull off and goof around with.

#goomba

Massaki

Neo Member
Every time these go back in stock I end up doing a dance on whether or not I should take the plunge - It's £80, they look fucking awesome, would be fun to have at the holidays with friends around, but I don't know if I'm actually going to have time or want to sit down and beat a 20+ year old game, regardless if it's something as simple as mario world or not. I bought a Pi 2 years back, loaded it with roms, played super punch out for about half an hour and never touched it again. Plus the missus is probably not going to want this sitting out on our fairly nice, all black TV Unit.

For those of you who were initially dubious and purchased one, are you enjoying it? Have you got more than a day/week's worth out of it before putting it down indefinitely?

Every time these go back in stock I end up doing a dance on whether or not I should take the plunge - It's £80, they look fucking awesome, would be fun to have at the holidays with friends around, but I don't know if I'm actually going to have time or want to sit down and beat a 20+ year old game, regardless if it's something as simple as mario world or not. I bought a Pi 2 years back, loaded it with roms, played super punch out for about half an hour and never touched it again. Plus the missus is probably not going to want this sitting out on our fairly nice, all black TV Unit.

For those of you who were initially dubious and purchased one, are you enjoying it? Have you got more than a day/week's worth out of it before putting it down indefinitely?

I feel like the Pi 2 story is telling for you. Unless you think playing the games on an official Nintendo unit will inspire more play, it may not be the device for you once the post-buy high and nostalgia wear off. Were you someone who bought some VC games on the Wii/WiiU/3DS at some point?

The holiday factor could make it worth it, if you think it'd actually get enough use.

Massaki

Neo Member
I feel like the Pi 2 story is telling for you. Unless you think playing the games on an official Nintendo unit will inspire more play, it may not be the device for you once the post-buy high and nostalgia wear off. Were you someone who bought some VC games on the Wii/WiiU/3DS at some point?

The holiday factor could make it worth it, if you think it'd actually get enough use.

I'm slightly hopeful that me putting down money on an official nintendo product would give me more of incline to play some. I bought some of the very few super nintendo games that came out on Wii U and managed to beat Super Mario World and got fairly into link to the past, but I mostly think this was because the Wii U was portable, and games as old as they were seemed more fitting to play on a tablet like thing in my downtime rather than turning the lights off and sitting down at the couch to play them for an evening.

I dunno, I'll just keep dancing around the "confirm order" button forever more.

I don't know if I'm actually going to have time or want to sit down and beat a 20+ year old game

I'm slightly hopeful that me putting down money on an official nintendo product would give me more of incline to play some.

I mostly think this was because the Wii U was portable, and games as old as they were seemed more fitting to play on a tablet like thing in my downtime rather than turning the lights off and sitting down at the couch to play them for an evening.

Seems pretty clear you've diminished the value of these games for the strange crime of being old so sounds like you are better off not trying to convince yourself to play them via a guilt trip of hanging money over them. Play them because you want to play them and you find value in that experience. Skip them and go do something that makes you feel like you are using your time more effectively.

Massaki

Neo Member
Seems pretty clear you've diminished the value of these games for the strange crime of being old so sounds like you are better off not trying to convince yourself to play them via a guilt trip of hanging money over them. Play them because you want to play them and you find value in that experience. Skip them and go do something that makes you feel like you are using your time more effectively.

not trying to diminish the value at all, I just feel that because they're older i'm less likely to get a totally enthralling experience after being wasted on more modern games, they're still important and fun games however, nothing takes that away.

TheExodu5

Banned

It's weird, but the fact that this is original hardware with the real controllers, and that we have a structured club is making me sit down and play. I know the appeal of playing SNES games on a tablet or turboing through RPG battles on an emulator, but sitting down and enjoying it in its intended format is making me appreciate it a lot more.

I've gone ahead and started on FF VI, since it will be a long one. Played for 3 hours straight yesterday. Normally I would just play in an emulator with turbo mode but I'm taking my time and playing as intended. It was just really nostalgic and relaxing for me.

And while not all of these games stand up to the test of time, a lot of them do. Just replaying through all of SMW again made me realize how good of a platformer it still is today. Yoshi's Island will be great as well. And FF VI is just sucking me away...there's truly no RPG like it anymore.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
It's weird, but the fact that this is original hardware with the real controllers, and that we have a structured club is making me sit down and play. I know the appeal of playing SNES games on a tablet or turboing through RPG battles on an emulator, but sitting down and enjoying it in its intended format is making me appreciate it a lot more.

I've gone ahead and started on FF VI, since it will be a long one. Played for 3 hours straight yesterday. Normally I would just play in an emulator with turbo mode but I'm taking my time and playing as intended. It was just really nostalgic and relaxing for me.

And while not all of these games stand up to the test of time, a lot of them do. Just replaying through all of SMW again made me realize how good of a platformer it still is today. Yoshi's Island will be great as well. And FF VI is just sucking me away...there's truly no RPG like it anymore.

Speed up mode I find just makes me rush instead of immersing myself in it and enjoying myself. Takes away from the nice pace and just playing the game.

CassSept

I played Mario World plenty of times before, but finally this thread gave me the nudge to do what I've never done before and in process made me reevaluate my opinion of Mario World quite a bit. Special Zone is indeed quite special and has some very fun ideas in it.

Finished 96-exit run

After which I quickly managed to pull off the orb glitch

Which I used for an 11-exit run :)

#luigi #goomba

I think I'll practice Super Punch-Out now. I had never played that one before, so it will be neat to at least get some practice before the goals are announced.

TheMoon

I got the Playing With Power book about the SNES Classic by PRIMA today. It even covers the SMW Orb glitch :D

I highly recommend it, btw. I think it's easy to mistake it for a guide when it's actually a cool facts/history book for all the Nintendo games in this thing (no third party games covered). Lots of cool stuff in there (incl art!).

Doing the 96 exit challenge made me realize just how good super Mario world is. Before I would just play through to Bowser and have a good time, but actually learning the ins and outs and learning what Mario is capable of has really elevated my opinion of this game.

I'm curious to see if any of the other challenges will do the same for me. F-Zero is the other game I can think of that I'm really lukewarm on, so that's the likely candidate.

Blizzard

Banned
I've scoured vanilla ghost house like 5 times, even flying all the way back with the switch. I can't find any secret. :(

Finally finished it. Hope to get 96 exits before the 15th, but I wanted to at least beat. Forgot how much I love this game. Remember playing it when I first got my SNES and just being blown away at how massive it felt at the time.

oZKUxn2.jpg

#morton

Started my playthrough today.

Made it to Bowers Castle with 86 exits...until I accidentally opened up a save state I made earlier, and erased most of my progress. Now I'm back down to 16.

Edit: Stuck trying to figure out where the secret exit is in Cheese Bridge Area. Played through it about 4 times, and I'm not sure where to look.

TheExodu5

Banned
Started my playthrough today.

Made it to Bowers Castle with 86 exits...until I accidentally opened up a save state I made earlier, and erased most of my progress. Now I'm back down to 16.

Edit: Stuck trying to figure out where the secret exit is in Cheese Bridge Area. Played through it about 4 times, and I'm not sure where to look.

That happened to me. Didn't lose quite as much progress though, ouch.

I'm real careful about messing with save states now. Shame it doesn't keep a backup of your previously saved game. Whenever you load a state it permanently overwrites the actual game save.

Blizzard

Banned
I forgot how obnoxious the game gets once you're in the late Forest of Illusion stages and later. I'm not even having much fun anymore. We were both getting irritable at having to play tiny Mario / Luigi in massive levels with maybe one or two items if you're lucky, or no checkpoint for days, and all sorts of spam, scrolling platforms, and the like, or else backtrack worlds behind to find an easy item.

Blizzard

Banned
The beginning of the forest has items. Just hit start then select to leave when you're good...

Worlds back....cmon.
I didn't notice the beginning of the forest having item(s), I'll have to check that. We normally go all the way back to the top secret area. Maybe there are some vanilla areas with items that you can quit with at the beginning, also.

Dad

Completely forgot what a load of shit Cheese Bridge Area's secret exit is. Like, it's clever, but come on. They could have at least thrown Yoshi in the level somewhere

Completely forgot what a load of shit Cheese Bridge Area's secret exit is. Like, it's clever, but come on. They could have at least thrown Yoshi in the level somewhere
You can also get it by flying under the 1st gate and swooping back up onto the platform, which shouldn't need you to carry anything into the level. But of course it's a lot easier to just sacrifice Yoshi.

TheExodu5

Banned
I didn't notice the beginning of the forest having item(s), I'll have to check that. We normally go all the way back to the top secret area. Maybe there are some vanilla areas with items that you can quit with at the beginning, also.

Water level has a cape right at the start.

Anyways, got a head start on FF VI. Decided to start playing this weekend and time flew by. Already at the halfway point (
floating continent
). Not sure if I'll push forward or get a head start in another RPG. Funny how short the game actually is compared to playing it as a child. Only took about 7 hours to get to this point.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyways, got a head start on FF VI. Decided to start playing this weekend and time flew by. Already at the halfway point (
floating continent
). Not sure if I'll push forward or get a head start in another RPG. Funny how short the game actually is compared to playing it as a child. Only took about 7 hours to get to this point.

WoR ends up being a decent amount longer than WoB. I think a pretty fast run of FF6 (not speedrun, mind you, but a fast one) that gets all the characters ends up being 20-25 hours

nny

The Special worlds are really leaving a sour taste in my mouth, they're too frustrating - I ended up having fun drifting in Tubular, but trying to beat Way Cool and Awesome without flying over the level has just been infuriating! Guess I'm not a "Super Player".

Edit: huh, and then the two levels after Awesome are quite easy.

TheExodu5

Banned
WoR ends up being a decent amount longer than WoB. I think a pretty fast run of FF6 (not speedrun, mind you, but a fast one) that gets all the characters ends up being 20-25 hours

Yeah I guess so, especially when leveling becomes a concern.

I might push to WoR today to get a sense of it. Now...do I want 3 characters or 4? Not sure if leveling will be more or less of a pain without Sabin.

You can also get it by flying under the 1st gate and swooping back up onto the platform, which shouldn't need you to carry anything into the level. But of course it's a lot easier to just sacrifice Yoshi.

You can use a Yoshi? Huh. I remembered just using a cape and timing your dive right from playing as a kid, so that's how I did it here too. Took me 10-15 tries or so. Such an obnoxious secret to get, but it's made up for by being not terribly far from the mid-point and having basically no obstacles between you and the gate (yes, there are the saws, but you're flying above them). It's just nailing that timing or being Johnny-on-the-spot with the Start+Select so you don't accidentally trip the first gate. Tubular is worse, even cheesing it with Blue Yoshi.

#morton
#luigi

I’d never actually played through this entirely myself so it was awesome to give it a shot. I may try for orb glitch too (that’d be cool to show off to friends). I’m more familiar with the series after the Galaxy games but this is still a pretty fun game. The levels themselves weren’t always the most impressive but something about the world map still feels cool, it might just be my nostalgia though.

EDIT: Managed to pull off the orb glitch.
#goomba

K444WSR

The secret to tubular is that there's a third P balloon late in the level which makes it a lot easier. I don't know if that is common knowledge but I did not know about it when I was younger and it took me a looong time passing it with just the two balloons.

On a side note I absolutely love this game and am breezing through it since I started today. Hope to get my stamps some time tomorrow.

The secret to tubular is that there's a third P balloon late in the level which makes it a lot easier. I don't know if that is common knowledge but I did not know about it when I was younger and it took me a looong time passing it with just the two balloons.

On a side note I absolutely love this game and am breezing through it since I started today. Hope to get my stamps some time tomorrow.
I'm amazed that you actually did this with two back in the day. I think most people do this with all 3.

Finished the game just now...with 93 exits. Thought I found all of them, guess not.

This was surprisingly shorter than I thought it was going to be (7 hours total). Thought the levels were pleasant overall, except for Outrageous and most of the Special Zone stages without power-ups, and Cheese Bridge Area due to that secret exit (just sacrifice a Yoshi, using the cape to get to it is much harder). Still, had fun playing through it.

#morton

Edit:

And all exits found.

#luigi

Don't think I got my #goomba from my last post edit.

Is there a listing of the schedule for the rest of the year? I don't see anything linked in the OP but I remember some talk about what would be coming up. I'll probably need to get ahead on certain games.

nny

All exits...check!

Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/untHRSt.jpg[/img]

Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/HJRSggc.jpg[/img]

#luigi

K444WSR

I'm amazed that you actually did this with two back in the day. I think most people do this with all 3.

Believe me, when I think about it now, I laugh at myself. Using a cape to float the last few frames of the level after the P balloon finishes. Gave me nightmares for a while!!!

Top Bottom