• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Comic-Con Announcement: Canon Female Shepard Appearance Vote

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The Xtortionist said:
Or maybe, I don't know...ridiculous physical strength might be a good thing to have in combat?
Really though? Like does it actually make sense to be that large when everyone is using guns and biotics? He probably won't even be able to fit behind the chest high walls Bioware is currently texturing.

He looks like he's farting really hard

untitledt9mu.jpg

That's why he's also clinching his fists that way

Lime

I miss the armour designs of the first ME1. Every (human) armour in the following games have become so generic and bulky, instead of the sleek 70's/80's inspirational style in ME1.

theartofmasseffect-0382r5c.jpg

Samara

X26 said:
looks dumb and seems very old school in its portrayal of women in games, and not in a good way

ME1 ashley was an assertive soldier who talked and looked the part, ME3 ashley looks like a bimbo in space

Mmm, I don't think so. It would have looked inappropriate if she had slits showing skin on her butt (like Enslaved) or navel deep cleavage, but she isn't. She's covered and has armored "leggings" underneath, and still has the kneecaps. Its just "girlier"

Y2Kev said:
Really though? Like does it actually make sense to be that large when everyone is using guns and biotics? He probably won't even be able to fit behind the chest high walls Bioware is currently texturing.

I doubt Vega is taller than Garrus, or fatter than Wrex/Grunt.

Replicant

Atrus said:
Yeah... so if given the choice to axe one of your squad in some suicide mission I'm pretty sure most people are going to choose the new dudebro with the mohawk they haven't seen before.

Oooh, you've just given this new guy a new purpose. Awesome. Now I see a function for him.

Something tells me Vega is going to be the gay romance for Shepard and I feel bad for gay Shepard.

FUCK NO! Gay Shephard better be able to romance Kaidan or someone hotter.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Y2Kev said:
when youre being charged head on by a krogan you better have some gusto BOY

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Lime said:
I miss the armour designs of the first ME1. Every (human) armour in the following games have become so generic and bulky, instead of the sleek 70's/80's inspirational style in ME1.

http://www.abload.de/img/theartofmasseffect-0382r5c.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Man, ME1 had some great design, even if on some level it was still too military in theme for me back then. That art looks great.

Samara said:
I don't get the ' she's wearing a skirt and makeup' crowd. Miranda and Tali anyone? Fuck, Shepard can wear pink eyeshadow and lipstick, get over it boys.

Specters doing their own thang!

Ashely is a career soldier. She is completely dedicated to that kind of life life, and the the original ME she was the equivalent of the warrior class and the only person other than possibly shep who could equip human heavy-armor.

I'd have no problem with the costume if it wasn't on Ashely, as it's a fairly appealing design.

I actually have the same problem with Kaiden here. In the original ME he was a total light weight. Now his armor looks pretty damn bulky.

-COOLIO- said:
so is
kaiden/ash
coming back to life or will the ME1 choice carry over?

You only get the one who survived.

Atrus

Gold Member
-COOLIO- said:
so is
kaiden/ash
coming back to life or will the ME1 choice carry over?

Choices carry over. I have a deep suspicion that Mass Effect 3 will go the Dragons Age: Origins route of you needing to recruit other races to stop the Reaper attack and your actions from the first and second game will contribute or detract from it.

Killing the Rachni Queen for instance in Mass Effect 1 will likely mean no Rachni ships in your anti-Reaper fleet. In Mass Effect 3, you'll likely find that each of the races that belong to planets you'll visit are magically having their own internal problems that need taking care of while Earth is being destroyed.

The game will then end showing a series of endings based on the choices you've made in the series, again like Dragons Age.

The_Technomancer said:
I didn't even notice Ashley was in heels. What the fuck, no, the professional soldier does not wear heels to a firefight.

Honestly, this doesn't bother me that much.

They have to balance making an iconic, unique looking character with realism. Seems realism may have one out more in ME1 but to be honest, the ME1 characters were pretty boring looking at times (Even if it was bad ass to have the entire squad decked out in collosus).

It's not like it's Black Hawk Down. And it's certainly not like the military logistics (Whether through ground, or, more frustrating to me, space combat tactics) in this game are realistic in any way. One can just as easily argue why there is ANY major differentiation amongst how combat soldiers of the same species dress. And you can certainly argue just why the hell spaceships fight like WW2 dog fighters.

My biggest complaint will be if they actually change her character traits. That's what worries me. I like my space bigot retro hipster poet just the way she is....:)

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
That guy's design blows.

Deacan said:
They could pull a Dragon Age 2 and make everyone gay.

Oh and I would rather they keep Zaeed than the brohawk muscle head.
I think you mean bisexual.

Draft

The Xtortionist said:
I guess at this point it's impossible for the industry to create a tough muscular character without them being labeled as a "dudebro".
True. I don't think that's especially unfair, though. Game design doesn't take place in a vacuum. James Vega might be the best developed hyper muscular tough guy soldier to ever appear in a game, but he's got to contend with the fact that this generation has seen a glut of hyper muscular tough guy soldier characters.

Qwomo

Lime said:

theartofmasseffect-0382r5c.jpg
ಥoಥ

The Xtortionist said:
Or maybe, I don't know...ridiculous physical strength might be a good thing to have in combat?
Too bad none of these guys had ridiculous physical strength in combat:

ww2soldiers-1944.jpg

article-1161834-03E28A8F000005DC-952_468x281.jpg

2007-09-21-lainovetsincebu.jpg

Being that hysterically oversized is a recent social construct based entirely in looks, exactly the same as women tanning or dying their hair.

shadyspace said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Alliance military give their soldiers all sorts of implants and performance enhancers?

Wallach

The guy wouldn't be so annoying to look at if it weren't for the hair. God damn that haircut is stupid.

I don't mind so much about Ashley's hair, but I don't get her outfit. Maybe swap her and Kaiden's outfit, and buzz the new guy's hair and this image would seem more fitting.

Samara

So I heard they're also redoing Jack's design--that's the one I'd like to see the most, with the hair and everything. They best not do that dude's hairstyle :<

The Bookerman said:
Rookie-Brodus-Clay.jpg

I leave this here.

Wrassle gaf crossing the streams

DatBreh

Banned
LOL at everyone complaining that there is now ONE person in the ME universe with a mohawk when i can go to Wal-Mart right now and see 5.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
shadyspace said:

http://thisnation.com/media/photos/ww2soldiers-1944.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/13/article-1161834-03E28A8F000005DC-952_468x281.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2007-09-21-lainovetsincebu.jpg[IMG]

Being that hysterically oversized is a recent social construct based entirely in looks, exactly the same as women tanning or dying their hair.[/QUOTE]
if i could just switch physical strength "on" for combat i would, i feel its definitly a plus. its not easy though which is why the dudes in those pics arnt ripped.

it might also be for ladies though in which case i cant blame him. if i lived in the ME world id be fine as a dime to get that alien booty.

Jarmel

Banned
Samara said:
So I heard they're also redoing Jack's design--that's the one I'd like to see the most, with the hair and everything. They best not do that dude's hairstyle :<

She's a he now. That's where the gay romance is.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
DatBreh said:
LOL at everyone complaining that there is now ONE person in the ME universe with a mohawk when i can go to Wal-Mart right now and see 5.

Right, that's why I don't go to Wal-Mart.

Also, what does that have to do with anything? We're talking about bad character design, not the people you see when you go shopping.

DatBreh said:

Yeah because we all want our games to reflect how depressing real life is. -_-

This is a game about goddamn space.

Quick

Banned
I don't mind Ash's new look, but I'd be concerned if they decide to change her character to be more feminine and a "damsel in distress" type. I've seen/heard nothing about her on ME3 past that picture.

Liara and Kaiden looks awesome. Vega looks like Sev's (Killzone) brother, or something.

Qwomo

DatBreh said:
Yeah, I totally want to see the kind of people who shop at Wal-Mart in my sci-fi video games.

DatBreh

Banned
Snuggler said:
Right, that's why I don't go to Wal-Mart.

Also, what does that have to do with anything? We're talking about bad character design, not the people you see when you go shopping.

Its bad character design for him to have a haircut humans wear presently? Would it be better if he had generic white guy haircut no. 4? Or were you expecting some Cloud Strife level hair?

It's absolutely tragic to see how quickly the Mass Effect series is devolving into a dudebro shooter fest. One of my favourite aspects of the original was just how awesomely streamlined and slender the art design was, and now, looking at this stuff, it just seems that Bioware is throwing away that ingenuity out the window in favour of macho mohawks and bulky armor. I really hope the rest of the character cast isn't going to look so 'meh'...

Except for Ashley, she be lookin' good.

Pardon my double standards... :(

Qwomo said:
Yeah, I totally want to see the kind of people who shop at Wal-Mart in my sci-fi video games.
That asari guide when you first land on Illium worked her way up from a lowly Wal-Mart greeter to welcoming arrivals on a giant city! She doesn't get to hand out smiley face stickers anymore, though. : (

DatBreh said:
Its bad character design for him to have a haircut humans wear presently? Would it be better if he had generic white guy haircut no. 4?

I believe every haircut in MEverse is a cut that at least someone wears currently. Except for the stupid plastic look, but that was the UE3 engine for the first two gaems, not their art style.

DatBreh said:
Its bad character design for him to have a haircut humans wear presently?

It's not about whether or not people would realistically wear that hair style. All that matters is whether or not people like the overall design of the character or not. Doesn't matter if people wear mohawks. Doesn't matter if his bulky size would or would not benefit him as a soldier. Doesn't matter if his simian facial features represents the theme of mans evolution. He still looks like shit.

Derrick01

Banned
DatBreh said:
Its bad character design for him to have a haircut humans wear presently? Am i wrong or are they not fighting on Earth in this game as well.

I don't know about you but whether it was on tv or in real life, I have never seen anyone with that hairstyle that was not an enormous douchebag. Lots of bros in jersey and nyc have that style and that's why everyone's shouting dudebro.

Plus he looks like a bulkier Sev from Killzone.

I have to admit I wasn't all that impressed with the 4 characters on show there. I mean Kaiden looks "ok" and Ashley ....... well she appeals to my Neanderthal urges but I do understand why people don't like Ash's new gear. Ashley is a soldier, a ground pounder you don't go into battle wearing a futuristic mini skirt.

James Vegas well from the minute they changed his name from Sanders to Vegas I knew we had a Jacob V2 on our hands. I had always planned to leave ole Jamie Vegas in some broom cupboard on the Normandy anyway. However Liara, my god that armour is awful. I really want to know who the hell at Bioware looked at that pic of Liara and thought it was in any way "good".

Anyway Bioware has commented on this picture, I will post their reponse here :-

Chris Priestly said:
I was wondering when these would surface.

These are concepts (so may not be final) of the weapons and appearances available in the Collector's Edition of Mass Effect 3. They were given out to a bunch of retailers some time ago. I guess they weren't called out previously as they are not final and maybe the retailers didn't want to show art that wasn't final?

When asked why Bioware were using the pic for the pre-order page he said :-

Chris Priestly said:
Because we send out the material with what is ready when it is needed. If we had waited to have final art before soliciting pre-orders, people would still be waiting and the announcement would not have been made at E3. Once the final art is finished, sites will be updated.

It is all a question of timing.

Have you not seen other games or toys, statues, comics, etc with "not final art" when solicited? I buy a copy of Previews magazine every month to help me plan what to buy for upcoming comics and toys and there is always materials liek that inside. It is what is done in the industry.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/7793557&lf=8

So make of that what you will. There has been a fair amount of negative feedback regarding the picture so far. No doubt Bioware will totally ignore it and carry on regardless.

Top Bottom