• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Comic-Con Announcement: Canon Female Shepard Appearance Vote

Kinyou

Bisnic said:
I kinda liked it on ME1. Feels too small in ME2 though. :( But at least we got more than one town to visit.
well basically was the presidium in ME2 just a single room. It can only go upwards from there

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Lostconfused said:
You mean that one room in which a single cut scene takes place? Yeah I agree.

Sorry, i thought all of the Citadel in ME2 was part of the Presidium. I'm still not done with the game lol.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bisnic said:
I kinda liked it on ME1. Feels too small in ME2 though. :( But at least we got more than one town to visit.

I liked it in Mass Effect, but I dont need it to return. Yeah, it was neat, but I'd much rather BioWare take all the time end effort required to rebuild it for a new game and spend that building somewhere new to visit.

The citadel was rad, but its time to move on.

derFeef said:
Revisit.... give me new, exciting and distinct locations.
Well we got a list of locations a while ago. Earth, the moon around some turian world, the salarian homeworld. But Bioware is heavily invested in characters they introduced in ME2 so I don't doubt several of them will make a return.

Peter.Simpson909 said:
How has no one quoted this yet:

"[A] giant alien race launches all-out war, you have to rally the forces of the universe to counter and see if you can take them down," he said. "That's pretty clear. You don't need to be like: 'Well, what about when I had this love affair?' It's like, who cares? It's all out war!"

I'm like, gonna puke in my mouth.

Isn't this the same guy who came up with the A for Awesome nonsense? How he's allowed to speak for Bioware anymore is beyond me. Biowares marketing seems to be met near universal scorn where ever it appears yet this still do it. I have no idea who it's aimed at, but I can't imagine it's getting across very well to this segment of the market they are trying to sell to.

Mr_Zombie

bobnowhere said:
Isn't this the same guy who came up with the A for Awesome nonsense? How he's allowed to speak for Bioware anymore is beyond me. Biowares marketing seems to be met near universal scorn where ever it appears yet this still do it. I have no idea who it's aimed at, but I can't imagine it's getting across very well to this segment of the market they are trying to sell to.
Say what you want, but it seems the marketing works.

Even though RPG fans hated the blood, sex & Manson DA:O campaign, it did attracted masses of non-RPG fans... that in the end (according to BioWare's stats) never even bothered to finish the origin part. The same with DA2 - the game was universally panned by RPG fans, yet it sold pretty well for what it was.

Mr_Zombie said:
Even though RPG fans hated the blood, sex & Manson DA:O campaign, it did attracted masses of non-RPG fans... that in the end (according to BioWare's stats) never even bothered to finish the origin part. The same with DA2 - the game was universally panned by RPG fans, yet it sold pretty well for what it was.
Actually last time I remember is that we didn't get any solid numbers concerning DA2. There were some PR statements made about that it sold more or something but nothing concrete.

Edit:
Q4 Report said:
EA shipped seven titles in the fourth quarter that have already sold in over 1 million units each, life to date. Crysis® 2, Dragon Age™ 2, and Dead Space™ 2 each sold in more than two million units.

Q1 Report said:
Portal 2 sold in over two million units in the first quarter. On catalogue, Crysis 2® sold in approximately three million units life to date; Dead Space™ 2 and Dragon Age™ 2 have both sold in over two million units life to date.
Interpret it any way you want.

Xilium

Lostconfused said:
Actually last time I remember is that we didn't get any solid numbers concerning DA2. There were some PR statements made about that it sold more or something but nothing concrete.

Interpret it any way you want.
Honestly, with the way the PC market works now, specifically the fact that games get discounted a month or two after release and even with that, still get frequently discounted to half the original price or less throughout the year for various promotions, it is hard to measure the actual success of said games.

Maybe I'm over thinking this but PC game sales after a couple of months I always just take with a grain of salt when it comes to a game's profitability (in terms of market penetration, a game sale is a game sale regardless of price). 1M sales 4 months out at half or less the price just doesn't carry the same weight as 1M sales at release.

Considering how much of a rush job DA2 is and how many corners were cut in the process. I would think Bioware/EA are more interested in popularity of the Dragon Age franchise rather than how profitable DA2 was.

Xilium

Lostconfused said:
Considering how much of a rush job DA2 is and how many corners were cut in the process. I would think Bioware/EA are more interested in popularity of the Dragon Age franchise rather than how profitable DA2 was.
Was DAO profitable though? I know it was popular and sold well but with the amount of time and money they spent making it, I'm sure I read somewhere that the game wasn't very or at all profitable.

Going off of that, I just assumed that the reason DA2 was such a rush job was because they wanted to make up for the loss on DAO. Spend a quarter of the time making it and sell approximately the same number of copies as DAO to make up those losses seemed to be what the battle plan was to me.

Salih

i really hope we can visit Kahje in ME3.

Kahje is an ocean planet with 90% of its surface covered in water, only small islands encompass the world's land area. It orbits an energetic white star, which results in a permanent blanket of clouds (not unlike the human colony world of Proteus). It is the homeworld of the hanar, a race resembling Earth jellyfish, and the home to most surviving drell. The atmosphere is perfect for life; while containing some traces of ammonia, it consists of oxygen, hydrogen, and nitrogen, giving it an Earth-like atmosphere. The climate has also proved too humid for the drell, and they have found it more tolerable to live in climate-controlled domed cities. The vast worldwide ocean is known as the Encompassing.

Kahje is also dotted with Prothean ruins, which has shaped the religion and society of the hanar. Mount Vassla, an underwater volcano, is at the heart of one of the largest Prothean ruins on Kahje.

Kinyou

Lostconfused said:
I'd really like to see a dragon age 3 done with the dialog system and budget of ME and the story and love to details of DAO.

Bowdz

Peter.Simpson909 said:
How has no one quoted this yet:

I'm like, gonna puke in my mouth.

I like these tidbits:

David Silverman said:
We're making Mass effect 3 to be the best game we've ever made. That would make it one of the best games ever, and we're hoping to see sales that reflect that.

David Silverman said:
People tell us we're amazing storytellers and we hope we are.

I'm glad to see they have their confidence in check. It's good to hear that the presidum is making a return. Now I just hope they bring back the ambient music on the Citadel and the Normandy.

I know many didn't like the planet exploration in Mass Effect, but I really wish they'd bring it back in ME3. Most of the planets were really boring, ugly and had badly generated surfaces, I agree, but sometimes you stumbled on few planets with beautiful sky boxes ...

4php3.jpg

B9B8b.jpg

6rKS1.jpg

Bn7JL.jpg

and you really got the feeling that you were exploring space and its uninhabited and barren planets and you were completely alone. Same goes for the creepy abandoned space or research stations with husks, geth or other enemies. Looked all the same, with the same layout, but sometimes the music was chilling and some of the stations even had some creepy back story. The atmosphere was really great and made you feel lonely in space. Man, how I missed that feeling in Mass Effect 2. Instead of building on it and improving it, they just scrapped everything and added crap like ship fuel and resources.

Of course it's not coming back in ME3. You're at war, who gives a shit about planet exploration.

tiff

Banned
David Silverman said:
We're making Mass effect 3 to be the best game we've ever made. That would make it one of the best games ever, and we're hoping to see sales that reflect that.
I hate this man.

Kinyou

brotkasten said:
and you really got the feeling that you were exploring space and its uninhabited and barren planets and you were completely alone. Same goes for the creepy abandoned space or research stations with husks, geth or other enemies. Looked all the same, with the same layout, but sometimes the music was chilling and some of the stations even had some creepy back story. The atmosphere was really great and made you feel lonely in space. Man, how I missed that feeling in Mass Effect 2. Instead of building on it and improving it, they just scrapped everything and added crap like ship fuel and resources.
Just imagine this coming back, but this time all done with full fledged cutscenes different enviroments etc. It would be a blast...

Top Bottom