• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero |OT| Proving 0.5 Is Better Than 9

OmegaX

I'm stuck two hours in.

The second racing ticket is said to be somewhere beneath the factory, behind a block on the east wall. Said block is underwater. I can reach it with mermaid form but you can't be an elephant underwater. What am I missing?
It's not that one.
The block you can destroy with the elephant is above water in the farthest right wall.

On another note, Euro Wii U backer codes are ready. You should check your backerkit page even if you didn't receive an email with the code just in case.

Vertti

Pretty decent game but I'm not super impressed outside of graphics.

There aren't many levels so Wayforward decided that you need to play them over and over again. For example I've finished the first level like 4 or 5 times now because every time I get new dance or ability I wanna check if I can find some new secrets. I could continue onwards and go back after I've unlocked even more stuff but I could miss some vital upgrade that would mean even more replaying the same levels over and over again. What I'm trying to say that I feel there's maybe a bit too much backtraking. If you wanna have an example of game that got this right I'd say play Odallus.

The gameplay is very solid and feels responsive so there nothing to whine about. My only minor gripe is that you need to change forms very often and that can kill the flow. It would help if every form would have at least some kind of way of hurting enemies but that's not the case. Fortunately the dancing and changing form is quick so like I said, only a minor gripe.

And lastly this is some Super Mario level recycling of assets, characters and levels. It feels like I've seen these same things million times already even if this is only the 4th Shantae game.It's kinda reboot I guess but still. The game doesn't lack charm but it kinda lacks personality and doesn't really have its own strong identity.

Graphics are great like I said and hopefully their engine is now ready to be used in other Wayforward games. Shantae is cool and all but maybe it would be time to see something totally new. I'm sure that Wayforward can pull something great out of thei hat.

Famassu

All initial retail copies for Vita, PS4 and Wii U are receiving the "Risky Beats" treatment. The first two platforms are available for order right now whereas Nintendo doesn't launch until Dec. 27th due to some issue that prevented a simultaneous release.
Ah, ok, thanks. I read the OP's

Release Date(s): December 20th, 2016 (PC/PS4/Vita/XBO/Wii U [Digital]), December 27th (Wii U [Retail])

as to mean PC, PS4, Vita, XBO and Wii U all getting a digital-only release on December 20th and then Wii U getting a retail release on the 27th (a bit confused where the retail release of other versions had disappeared to), but the "[digital]" in that part only referred to Wii U and not all the versions listed before it.

zashga

I'm registering around 70% with 4 hours played, and I'm a little surprised how small the game feels. This is only my second Shantae game (after Pirate's Curse), but it definitely feels like the smaller/simpler game. Lots of revisiting the same small levels, plus having to actually "complete" them every time after you pick up whatever doodad you needed. Warp dance isn't much help since (as far as I can tell) you always have to complete at least the last segment of the level. Getting pretty tired of
the slide at the end of Mermaid Falls
in particular.

That said, I still like the game. The characters and animations are charming, and the music is good too. Some of the bosses are also cool, if a little easy. Overall I'm feeling pretty lucky that I backed this one over MN9.

Ultimadrago

Pretty decent game but I'm not super impressed outside of graphics.

There aren't many levels so Wayforward decided that you need to play them over and over again. For example I've finished the first level like 4 or 5 times now because every time I get new dance or ability I wanna check if I can find some new secrets. I could continue onwards and go back after I've unlocked even more stuff but I could miss some vital upgrade that would mean even more replaying the same levels over and over again. What I'm trying to say that I feel there's maybe a bit too much backtraking. If you wanna have an example of game that got this right I'd say play Odallus.

The gameplay is very solid and feels responsive so there nothing to whine about. My only minor gripe is that you need to change forms very often and that can kill the flow. It would help if every form would have at least some kind of way of hurting enemies but that's not the case. Fortunately the dancing and changing form is quick so like I said, only a minor gripe.

And lastly this is some Super Mario level recycling of assets, characters and levels. It feels like I've seen these same things million times already even if this is only the 4th Shantae game.It's kinda reboot I guess but still. The game doesn't lack charm but it kinda lacks personality and doesn't really have its own strong identity.

Graphics are great like I said and hopefully their engine is now ready to be used in other Wayforward games. Shantae is cool and all but maybe it would be time to see something totally new. I'm sure that Wayforward can pull something great out of thei hat.

I'm seeing lots of backtracking mentions when hearing impression of this game. Would this title happen to be as friendly about backtracking as Risky's Revenge: Director's Cut with the fountains / Pirate's Curse and Pirate Flare (with rather straightforward world design). Does the structure of smaller stages make it more annoying than dropping by a zone and leaving after you've found what you wanted? Because it does.

Also, is there a checklist for hidden collectibles/upgrades in stages like with the Stage Select silhouettes in Pirate's Curse?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yes, you'll see on the over world how many collectibles there are & if you have them.

Also, slightly annoyed that the warp dance just takes you to the next area of a stage, not the end, which is a pain for the 2nd stage since you HAVE to do the slide stage due to not being able to activate your dance powers.

Just finished this on Vita with me ordering the physical Wii U release that should be coming.
Felt the game was better than Risky's Revenge personally, but I didn't like it as much as Pirate's Curse. Music and presentation was probably the best part of this game. I can still tell that it's the Ducktales Remastered engine, but they must have worked on it hard, because this game does a better job of blending the 3D environments and 2D characters together. Music is really great like usual. The game seemed to be more focused on the platforming than the Metroidvania parts the series is known for other than going to stages to unlock new sections and acquire new items or powers. I don't mind the stage select design of the game, but it definitely hurts the cohesiveness of the plot and makes it seem more episodic and like a traditional platformer.
I like the
Crab
and
Mermaid
far as new dances go, but
mouse
was the one I didn't care for at all.
Harpy
is kind of broken too. Playing the Vita version, I encounter two graphic bugs of the screen going away from the character and a freeze at the final boss that had me redo some stuff. Sucks that I thought I had 100% and ended up with 99%, but I probably come back to it and get it eventually. Really liked the game overall though and it would be in my Top 10 of this year so far, but I definitely liked Pirate Curse's game play and story better.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm registering around 70% with 4 hours played, and I'm a little surprised how small the game feels. This is only my second Shantae game (after Pirate's Curse), but it definitely feels like the smaller/simpler game. Lots of revisiting the same small levels, plus having to actually "complete" them every time after you pick up whatever doodad you needed. Warp dance isn't much help since (as far as I can tell) you always have to complete at least the last segment of the level. Getting pretty tired of
the slide at the end of Mermaid Falls
in particular.

That said, I still like the game. The characters and animations are charming, and the music is good too. Some of the bosses are also cool, if a little easy. Overall I'm feeling pretty lucky that I backed this one over MN9.
You don't have to complete the level after you get something, you have a whistle in your inventory.

Guys, you have a whistle you can use to leave a stage whenever you want. Why are you relying on the warp dance?

That was what I was going to say. I mostly used warp dance to get to a certain section of a level where I needed to get out and used the whistle once I was ready to leave since it saves after you use it and you don't have to finish a level you already finished.

Ultimadrago

Guys, you have a whistle you can use to leave a stage whenever you want. Why are you relying on the warp dance?

That was what I was going to say. I mostly used warp dance to get to a certain section of a level where I needed to get out and used the whistle once I was ready to leave since it saves after you use it and you don't have to finish a level you already finished.

Ooh, that sounds better. Thanks!

Psxphile

xJ8smFa.png

Risky mode when?

Shredderi

Think I'll wait for... A year(?) (considering the time they made this) before playing as this seems very barebones content-wise. I thought they would have all the kickstarter strech goal stuff ready and thats why it took long to make.

Psxphile

I just hope the levels aren't all retreads. Though it wouldn't be a big deal since now we have a new playstyle.

Someone mentioned Wayforward said something about "new levels" to go with some of the character DLC. I assume however they won't be completely new assets and but rather new "areas" of already existing stages using mostly existing assets. Surprise me, WayForward.

Jamix012

I'm liking the mostly positive impressions I'm reading... Hoping this gets a Switch version with some of the new modes included on the Cart.

Someone mentioned Wayforward said something about "new levels" to go with some of the character DLC. I assume however they won't be completely new assets and but rather new "areas" of already existing stages using mostly existing assets. Surprise me, WayForward.
I'd be totally fine with new areas. So bring it on WayForward! Just give me a release schedule (also my artbook) and we're Ret-2-Go!

new update:

------------------------------------------------------------------
Update #98 Dec 21 2016
Hi Backers!

Backer Codes for Wii U (EU) Are Here!

Jolly Old St. Nick swung by earlier today to deliver our missing Wii U (EU) Backer Codes! Apparently they were lost on the Island of Misfit Toys (translation: there was an error with a certain financial institution). We feel pretty lousy about getting these to our EU Backers AFTER the game’s launch. But we’re VERY glad they arrived before we break for the holidays.

As before, you’ve all been sent your codes via an email from Backerkit. If for any reason you can’t find your code, follow the instructions in Update #94!

We sincerely hope you all enjoy the game!

That’s a Wrap!

We’ve now completed our Backer Code distribution! The only exception are those of you who are waiting for a support email to be resolved, which are being solved as quickly as possible!

Have a very Happy Holiday, and we’ll see you in 2017!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-hero/posts/1769586?ref=backer_project_update

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Giga Mermaid is obviously a D-cuuuhhhhh I mean, really tall.

.....yes.....*cough*

So what's the last secret in the first stage? I got a new item via using the mermaid transformation.

AwShucks

So, Wii U (playing on controller, assuming that's possible) or Vita version? It's a game I'd prefer to go handheld with. I'm leaning Vita.because the screen is oh so beautiful and sleep mode is godly

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
WOW, my file says I'm just about at 2.5 hours, yet 54% completed. Will be interesting to see what the speedrun times are to get the trophies.

Ogodei

Almost lost my confirmation code, my mind skipped over "backerkit" email and deleted it, but it was still in my gmail trash.

Time to get started, over three years after backing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Am I missing something in the fact there doesn't seem to be a map of the areas I can check like in Pirate's Curse? It's a bit bothersome trying to remember which parts of the area have which secret stuff that I need to return back to.

RK128

So, Wii U (playing on controller, assuming that's possible) or Vita version? It's a game I'd prefer to go handheld with. I'm leaning Vita.because the screen is oh so beautiful and sleep mode is godly

That is the version I purchased and it runs great. Outside of some slowdown at specific points (Mermaid Falls) the game runs really well. It normally runs between 50-60FPS and it is at native resolution.

I highly recommend the Vita version if you want to play the game on the go :).

Am I missing something in the fact there doesn't seem to be a map of the areas I can check like in Pirate's Curse? It's a bit bothersome trying to remember which parts of the area have which secret stuff that I need to return back to.

Nope, there's no map. Yeah, I find it really annoying, too, what with all the backtracking we're expected to do.

The game's level design and lack of interconnectedness feels really conservative to me, even by WayForward standards.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
.....alright, I think I'm stuck. I've got 5 areas open, &
I did the 5 remains quest in Tassel Tower, then went to the doctor to give Sick in exchange for Lollipop...but the game won't tell me what to do now. There's one secret in Mermaid Falls, 2 in Main Street, & one in Cape Crustacean (which involves some power where I can climb out of the water to then climb a wall or something). I just found some "Data Chip" in Mermaid Falls as well.

Edit: Neevvveerrrrmind, I looked up a guide & missed a VERY SMALL detail involving one of your transformations. Ugh, at least this is the first "wtf do I do now" moment compared to the few I had in Pirate's Curse.

A-V-B

The escape-upwards stage is driving me insane! Spending most of the time in monkey mode, and there's so little room for error.. and absolutely no checkpoints! Argh!!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That's an amazing title.

Unused alternate dance posted by psxphile in the other thread (based on one of the dances in the original Shantae GBC):

LyD7Csy.gif

Why? Because it's awesome. Here's hoping for it to show up in the DLC.

Aw, I really hope they add this back in.

Sciz

Feels more like the game that should have come between RR and PC instead of being the sequel to PC, in terms of game design and story, but it's a fun time while it lasts. Looks gorgeous, sounds fantastic, and plays well enough that it wasn't until the very end that I started getting tired of retreading the same stages. Boss design feels a bit simple compared to its peers in the genre.

Will gladly replay with other characters as they become available.

JackelZXA

Think I'll wait for... A year(?) (considering the time they made this) before playing as this seems very barebones content-wise. I thought they would have all the kickstarter strech goal stuff ready and thats why it took long to make.

Shantae's campaign is basically the full game. The only confirmed upcoming contents are costumes and characters. The actual main story is complete.

Feels more like the game that should have come between RR and PC instead of being the sequel to PC, in terms of game design and story, but it's a fun time while it lasts. Looks gorgeous, sounds fantastic, and plays well enough that it wasn't until the very end that I started getting tired of retreading the same stages. Boss design feels a bit simple compared to its peers in the genre.

Will gladly replay with other characters as they become available.

I kind of hope we get more shake ups as they go. I'd like a Half Zombie Hero game where Rotty is your traveling buddy
after you get bit by a zombie hamster maybe and have to find a cure?
or maybe something where the Barons play a bigger role. In the GBA game you were gonna navigate a mode 7 world to find levels with Sky and Wrench, it'd be cool if they did a fully 3d world to fly around in and explore.

Gamecentral reviewed it today:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/12/22/shantae-half-genie-hero-review-familiar-animals-6338609/

In Short: A little more linear than usual, but Shantae and her friends have never looked or played better in this amusingly silly Metroidvania.

Pros: Gorgeous art style and graphics, and an equally good soundtrack. Clever level design and the relics and transformation system ensure plenty of variety.

Cons: Shorter and more linear than the previous games. Revisiting the same levels again and again can get repetitive.

8/10

Emitan

I seem to be at the end of the game but no idea where these last two items are
7D5mi3F.jpg

3Xk5bfD.jpg

EDIT: The Tassel Town one was really obvious. Don't know how I missed that.

Top Bottom